Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Wow, those prices. So $1,150 for the iPhone, $950 for the Note, $950 for the Pixel, the essential is starting to look good at $699.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks Google, for removing any potential desire to try out the XL 2. ;)

For me personally, first year since I started buying smartphones that I won’t be upgrading. I haven’t used a single phone for 2 years straight since I had a Samsung flip phone a good 12-13 years ago. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fernandez21

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks Google, for removing any potential desire to try out the XL 2. ;)

For me personally, first year since I started buying smartphones that won’t be upgrading. I haven’t used a single phone for 2 years straight since I had a Samsung flip phone a good 12-13 years ago. :eek:
Yeah, if I can't get a good deal on the X then I'll be keeping my iPhone 7 for another year. Only reason I got the Note was I got $300 for my old One m8, $300 for my old iPhone 5S, and a free S8.

The only phone I bought this year at full price was my Essential Phone.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I highly doubt that.

I think he has a good point, Samsung is rocking it with sales of the s8 and the Note 8. All we hear is about how lackluster G6 and V20 sales were. Seriously, most of the flagships have been announced and they are all blatantly overpriced, even the XL2 is getting leaks. Yet there is no hint of a release date or price for the v30.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think he has a good point, Samsung is rocking it with sales of the s8 and the Note 8. All we hear is about how lackluster G6 and V20 sales were. Seriously, most of the flagships have been announced and they are all blatantly overpriced, even the XL2 is getting leaks. Yet there is no hint of a release date or price for the v30.
Why anyone would by a Samsung device is beyond me. They simply don't promptly address software fixes and updates fast enough for a premium phone vendor.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Apple and Samsung have now set a precedent. Expect all flagship phones to adopt top tier pricing from now on.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
And it'll still be great in 6 months after it goes on firesale.

But I want it noooowww.
5cd74fc44ffbf0ac1424c02ca8d7021a.jpg

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Nice, I'm sure they'll give me about $50 for my 5x.

That being said, I'm really excited about the black/white phone. I like the uniqueness of it, including the odd orange power button. I assume the front will be all black if the bezels are small. This would be an awesome looking device.

Reactions: MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
How the HECK are there no leaks on the XL2 2 weeks before announcement??!?!? Heck, we knew what the iPhone X would look like 6 months ago. Can Google really be that good at keeping a secret? The suspense is killing me, and I'd like to know so I can return my Note 8 without any regrets.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
How the HECK are there no leaks on the XL2 2 weeks before announcement??!?!? Heck, we knew what the iPhone X would look like 6 months ago. Can Google really be that good at keeping a secret? The suspense is killing me, and I'd like to know so I can return my Note 8 without any regrets.

Did you miss the big leak of the backs of the XLs yesterday? :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep. We have essentially a supposedly accurate back render that makes it look pretty much exactly like it's smaller brother Pixel 2, but importantly nothing regarding the front of the device. Only speculation and rumour.

We do have leaked photos of the front from actual devices (albeit screen off) of the Pixel 2 though and some while ago now, so why not Pixel XL 2 ...

My deepest concern is we are all expecting it to be based on G6/V30 and it will instead just look exactly like the smaller pixel 2. After all this would actually make if anything more sense given the current pixel and pixel XL which share identical physicality albeit size.

However folks who are eagerly awaiting an LG style front may be bitterly disappointed if it turns out to be 'just' a larger pixel 2.

But the fact we have no physical leaks of the front of the XL 2 so close to announcement is concerning.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Did you miss the big leak of the backs of the XLs yesterday? :D

Yeah I saw those poorly photoshopped pics. I'm not necessarily doubting their veracity, it's just pretty darn un-exciting to me. Come on leakers, we need some frontal shots so we know the bezel size!
[doublepost=1505932722][/doublepost]
Yep. We have essentially a supposedly accurate back render that makes it look pretty much exactly like it's smaller brother Pixel 2, but importantly nothing regarding the front of the device. Only speculation and rumour.

We do have leaked photos of the front from actual devices (albeit screen off) of the Pixel 2 though and some while ago now, so why not Pixel XL 2 ...

My deepest concern is we are all expecting it to be based on G6/V30 and it will instead just look exactly like the smaller pixel 2. After all this would actually make if anything more sense given the current pixel and pixel XL which share identical physicality albeit size.

However folks who are eagerly awaiting an LG style front may be bitterly disappointed if it turns out to be 'just' a larger pixel 2.

But the fact we have no physical leaks of the front of the XL 2 so close to announcement is concerning.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Google just refreshed the XL1 and sold it for $849?!?! I have to say that I still have no idea WTF google's strategy with the pixel lineup is.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
The only idea we have about the front of the XL is this render that @Radon87000 linked a couple of pages ago:here.

And even then, it's just a render, though Android Authority Police (oops) claims an 8/10 probability of it being true. IF that's how the Pixel 2 XL looks, it's clear that the bezels aren't as small as the V30. Hoping the real device looks even better, though that render isn't bad, per se.

-- edit --

That render came about at least a couple of months ago, before the V30 announcement. I wonder if the creator/tipster's opinion has changed now having seen the V30.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I saw those poorly photoshopped pics. I'm not necessarily doubting their veracity, it's just pretty darn un-exciting to me. Come on leakers, we need some frontal shots so we know the bezel size!
[doublepost=1505932722][/doublepost]

Wouldn't it be crazy if Google just refreshed the XL1 and sold it for $849?!?! I have to say that I still have no idea WTF google's strategy with the pixel lineup is.

I don't think they are photoshopped. Uninteresting, possibly, but I don't see any reason to believe they are photoshopped.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The only idea we have about the front of the XL is this render that @Radon87000 linked a couple of pages ago:here.

And even then, it's just a render, though Android Authority Police (oops) claims an 8/10 probability of it being true. IF that's how the Pixel 2 XL looks, it's clear that the bezels aren't as small as the V30. Hoping the real device looks even better, though that render isn't bad, per se.

-- edit --

That render came about at least a couple of months ago, before the V30 announcement. I wonder if the creator/tipster's opinion has changed now having seen the V30.

I'd be more than happy with that render as the XL2, especially if it kept flat edges and had a 16:9 ratio, or worst case a 18:9 like the v30.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

-- edit --

I already have a case for the XL 2 that is based off of the CAD renders. (I bought it on Amazon.) If it's really this big, I'm not sure if I want it. It's the exact same size as the iPhone 7 Plus. The V30 isn't that large, so I'm hoping the case isn't accurate.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
$950 is just outrageous, no thanks Google. I bought my brand new Nexus 6P 64GB for $499 direct from Google, it had the same high end flagship hardware as that years Samsung Galaxy line and the top LG's and HTC's. It was also built with high end materials. The Nexus 6P for 2015 was every bit a high end flagship smartphone. Same hardware as other flagships. Nice metal build quality. OLED display. Nice camera. So why two years later is the new Nexus ( I mean Pixel ) now DOUBLE the price ? F no.

ImBuz

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
California
From Tom's Guide
"
The Pixel XL successor, expected to feature a 6-inch display according to other rumors, will start at $849 for 64GB of storage and cost $949 for 128GB. If you don’t want to pay up front, Google will offer 24-month financing.

MORE: The Best Google Home Commands

If you prefer your phones a little smaller, the HTC-built Pixel 2 may be more your style. It will arrive in “Just Black,” “Clearly White,” and “Kinda Blue,” the latter of which should be taken literally, as it's more of a periwinkle. For 64GB of storage, it will run you $649, while the 128GB option will reportedly cost $749. These, too, will be available for financing over the course of two years.

Droid-Life only has photos of the backs of the phones, which show that they will all boast fingerprint readers and single cameras. Competitors, like Samsung’s Note 8, the LG V30 and the iPhone 8 Plus use dual cameras, so we’re curious to see how Google will use software to keep up. (Samsung’s smaller phones, the S8 and S8+, still use singular rear shooters, so Google’s not alone here.) We haven’t seen the fronts of the phones, but we’re hoping to see the Pixel lines lose some of their chunky bezels. We imagine the new phones will ship with Android Oreo, the latest version of the operating system."

Reactions: S.B.G and v0lume4

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
From Tom's Guide
"
The Pixel XL successor, expected to feature a 6-inch display according to other rumors, will start at $849 for 64GB of storage and cost $949 for 128GB. If you don’t want to pay up front, Google will offer 24-month financing.

MORE: The Best Google Home Commands

If you prefer your phones a little smaller, the HTC-built Pixel 2 may be more your style. It will arrive in “Just Black,” “Clearly White,” and “Kinda Blue,” the latter of which should be taken literally, as it's more of a periwinkle. For 64GB of storage, it will run you $649, while the 128GB option will reportedly cost $749. These, too, will be available for financing over the course of two years.

Droid-Life only has photos of the backs of the phones, which show that they will all boast fingerprint readers and single cameras. Competitors, like Samsung’s Note 8, the LG V30 and the iPhone 8 Plus use dual cameras, so we’re curious to see how Google will use software to keep up. (Samsung’s smaller phones, the S8 and S8+, still use singular rear shooters, so Google’s not alone here.) We haven’t seen the fronts of the phones, but we’re hoping to see the Pixel lines lose some of their chunky bezels. We imagine the new phones will ship with Android Oreo, the latest version of the operating system."

Uh ok ? Thx for the post, but that's old news already. We knew all of that.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.