Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Selling our note 8s and got my wife and I iPhone 8 pluses. Largely because we want unlocked phones that are updated and constantly secure.

The wife doesn’t like the iPhone interface as much as androids, and she despises CarPlay when comparing it to android auto (googles implementation is way better).

So she is going to get the pixel xl 2. I now have to decide if I want the a next gen pixel, or my iPhone 8 plus. Lucky, the announcement date is a few days before my return window is up.

Looking forward to hearing about These phones.

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Selling our note 8s and got my wife and I iPhone 8 pluses. Largely because we want unlocked phones that are updated and constantly secure.

The wife doesn’t like the iPhone interface as much as androids, and she despises CarPlay when comparing it to android auto (googles implementation is way better).

So she is going to get the pixel xl 2. I now have to decide if I want the a next gen pixel, or my iPhone 8 plus. Lucky, the announcement date is a few days before my return window is up.

Looking forward to hearing about These phones.
and I thought I switched phones allot! :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
While I do like that, I prefer a swipe down for notification bar and swipe up for app search, like I have setup in Nova with gestures. I do wish OEMs and Google allowed us to configure the gestures like we can on Nova, etc.

Same here with Nova. Best launcher in the world.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I hope Nova works on the new pixels. It doesn't work well with the Note 8, and the Nova dev states some BS about it being Samsungs fault.

Doesn't work well with the Note 8? Do you have a source? Seems to work just fine on my Note 8. It's been my launcher of choice for years, so I think I'd be able to tell if it wasn't working correctly. Unless there is an obscure setting that I don't have enabled or something...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Doesn't work well with the Note 8? Do you have a source? Seems to work just fine on my Note 8. It's been my launcher of choice for years, so I think I'd be able to tell if it wasn't working correctly. Unless there is an obscure setting that I don't have enabled or something...

Yes, the fonts on widgets are overly large and do not adjust with system settings. I googled it and saw a lot complaining about it and they said the dev told them it was Samsung trying to keep them on their UI. I did email the dev directly and he replied just like that, that it was Samsungs fault and they were doing it to keep us on their UI. That's it, no "I'm working on it" or anything else. Although he didn't say, I will assume it's an issue he either can't or won't surmount.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, the fonts on widgets are overly large and do not adjust with system settings. I googled it and saw a lot complaining about it and they said the dev told them it was Samsung trying to keep them on their UI. I did email the dev directly and he replied just like that, that it was Samsungs fault and they were doing it to keep us on their UI. That's it, no "I'm working on it" or anything else. Although he didn't say, I will assume it's an issue he either can't or won't surmount.

interesting. I haven't been using widgets lately so maybe that's why I didn't see it. That definitely would annoy me but widgets worked just fine on the S8 with Nova for me. Same aspect ratio. I wonder what changed for the N8?

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
interesting. I haven't been using widgets lately so maybe that's why I didn't see it. That definitely would annoy me but widgets worked just fine on the S8 with Nova for me. Same aspect ratio. I wonder what changed for the N8?

Yeah it bummed me out. My favorite part of Android overall is widgets. I'm used to having calendar, email, text messages, baby cam video feed, google voice, etc all on a single or 2 home screens. But to have so many widgets I had to have the fine control over the padding, resizing, and font size. So that's not possible for me anymore, it took away one of the major advantages I saw in Android. Couple that with some of the widgets function worse than before, for example the google voice widget was stripped of any useful functionality, blame that one on Google. Lastly, not related to Nova, Android has no unifying design language for widgets, they all look completely different and out of place. One can be blinding white with huge fonts, another can be a nice dark theme, and everything in between. I found myself annoyed that they all looked so terrible when put together. Yes I admit a totally useless complaint, but for those of us who find joy in customizing our phones it is important.

Oh and as a side and unrelated note, what's with the blinding white notification tray/panel? I think this is endemic to all of Android, not just touchwiz. I spent hours trying to find a way to change the notification tray/panel theme to something not as blinding, but none of the system themes changed it. I had read on XDA that you had to have root and change some stuff under the hood to get rid of the blinding white. It bummed me out because Samsung had some beautiful dark themes, but once I pulled down that notification panel that glaring white brightness blinded me and made the dark theme useless.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah it bummed me out. My favorite part of Android overall is widgets. I'm used to having calendar, email, text messages, baby cam video feed, google voice, etc all on a single or 2 home screens. But to have so many widgets I had to have the fine control over the padding, resizing, and font size. So that's not possible for me anymore, it took away one of the major advantages I saw in Android. Couple that with some of the widgets function worse than before, for example the google voice widget was stripped of any useful functionality, blame that one on Google. Lastly, not related to Nova, Android has no unifying design language for widgets, they all look completely different and out of place. One can be blinding white with huge fonts, another can be a nice dark theme, and everything in between. I found myself annoyed that they all looked so terrible when put together. Yes I admit a totally useless complaint, but for those of us who find joy in customizing our phones it is important.

Oh and as a side and unrelated note, what's with the blinding white notification tray/panel? I think this is endemic to all of Android, not just touchwiz. I spent hours trying to find a way to change the notification tray/panel theme to something not as blinding, but none of the system themes changed it. I had read on XDA that you had to have root and change some stuff under the hood to get rid of the blinding white. It bummed me out because Samsung had some beautiful dark themes, but once I pulled down that notification panel that glaring white brightness blinded me and made the dark theme useless.

I do have a google calendar widget on my screen and it looks fine (the agenda view), so I'm glad that on'es working.

yeah, it'd be nice to have dark notification background, but it looks like in oreo, those notification backgrounds are all jacked up.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I used to hate this on iOS, but I've grown accustomed to it and missed it on my brief foray with the Note 8. It's nice to find something fast when you have hundreds of apps installed.
Yeah that is one feature I do love about iOS. Has really helped me stop obsessing about the order of my apps on the home screen lol it used to take up hours of my life :D

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I thought you were thoroughly enjoying your Note8? o_O
We were. Great phones.

We plan on leaving Sprint soon, and want unlocked phones. The unlocked note doesn't get all of the sprint features, and unlocking a sprint note 8 and using it on another network has its own compromises. Plus...I can sell the note 8s for a profit.

So unlocked and secure phones, with frequent updates= iPhone or Pixel, at this point.

Reactions: tbayrgs

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Who has their 1100 bucks (with tax!) ready? :eek:

Seems this release may be more a showcase for software. Nexus + Google home + assistant = pixel 2s?

Reactions: Saturn1217

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Specs have leaked: http://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-2-xl-specs-803169/

Curved screens for the larger one?
Dual cameras on both models? Edit: back and front cameras apparently count as "dual cameras" on a spec sheet. Bummer.
No wireless charging.

Also:
Interestingly, our source claims that purchasing one of these devices should give you unlimited Google Cloud storage until 2023, which is pretty massive if it includes any file – not just photos.

I'm really curious about the physical size of the Pixel 2 XL now that it might have curved screens? The article is kind of vague. How will it compare to in size with the Galaxy S8, I wonder!

Poor Pixel 2. Shame on Google for not offering a no-compromise smaller model. #Nexus5Xand6P

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For reference I have pasted the text from article.

Important clarification. Dual camera = Single Front + Single Rear, not actually dual rear cameras & front

XL 2 sounds exactly like a hybrid of LG V30 (QHD screen, curved 80 screen to body ratio etc) + elements of HTC U11 (squeezable sides and no headphone jack)

Pixel 2 XL specs

The Pixel 2 XL will feature a curved QHD screen and will be powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 mobile processor with either 64 GB or 128 GB of internal storage. Although we’re not sure what size the display will be, our source tells us that the screen-to-body ratio will be between 80 and 85%, which lends credence to a previous rumor of slim bezels similar to the Galaxy Note 8.

Previous leaks have suggested that the Pixel 2 XL would not have dual stereo speakers but would have a headphone jack. Our source tells us that the opposite is true, with Google opting for dual stereo speakers but no headphone jack on its latest flagship. We’re also hearing that only certain markets will receive USB-C headphones in the box, although we have not been able to verify this.

The Pixel XL featured one of the best smartphone cameras last year and the Pixel 2 XL is likely to continue this trend. Our source mentioned that the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will come equipped with dual cameras with OIS, but we think they may have meant a back and front camera as we’ve seen in the image above. We’ve been told that the Pixel 2 XL will come equipped with a Wide Color Gamut and Google Imaging Chip, as well as Optical Image Stabilization. It’s unclear whether OIS is present in both, or just one of the sensors

The Pixel 2 XL will have a number of other notable specifications, as well. It should include an E-SIM card slot, which would allow it to connect to different networks without needing to replace a SIM card, like the Apple Watch Series 3. The phone will sport the second generation of Google’s fingerprint scanner. IP67 dust and water resistance, Gorilla Glass 5 should mean the Pixel 2 XL is on par with other flagship devices. The whole package will be powered by a 3,520 mAh battery.

Last week, Google confirmed it had acquired part of HTC’s R&D team that had worked on Pixel devices and it looks like the fruits of this acquisition may be shown next week. Our source suggests that the Pixel 2 XL will come with an Active Edge feature on the left side of the device that lets you squeeze the phone to launch Google Assistant or to mute incoming calls and alarms.

Pixel 2

The Pixel will feature most of the same specs as the Pixel 2 XL, but has a few key differences.

The Pixel 2 should feature essentially the same design as last year’s Pixel. The difference here is that it will be removing the 3.5mm headphone jack and adding dual stereo speakers – likely in the larger bezels present on this design.

Other differences include an FHD screen instead of the curved QHD screen in the Pixel 2 XL, which also will not likely feature the new Wide Color Gamut present in the larger model.

Since this screen is also smaller and lower resolution, it will only feature a 2700 mAh battery vs the larger 3520 mAh option in the Pixel 2 XL.

Interestingly, our source claims that purchasing one of these devices should give you unlimited Google Cloud storage until 2023, which is pretty massive if it includes any file – not just photos

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
For reference I have pasted the text from article.

Important clarofication. Dual camera = Single Front + Single Rear, not actually dual rear cameras & front

Argh! No back dual cameras. Dang. That was a legit surprise thing to see when I first read it. It had me reconsidering the Pixel 2! I was impressed. Alas...

But curved screen?

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.