Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
As a device dimensionally it will likely be slightly wider than the S8 and about as tall. Just as the V30 is to the S8

But from screen perspective its closer to being flat than curved edges as from Samsung.

Very cool. I dig the V30 look a lot.

Sigh, wish those "dual cameras" were legit. With Google having the best image processing, a surprise dual camera set up had me thinking about it!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Very cool. I dig the V30 look a lot.

Sigh, wish those "dual cameras" were legit. With Google having the best image processing, a surprise dual camera set up had me thinking about it!
Yeah I have no doubt Google will have a software version of portrait mode but really I would love to see the second wide angle lens on the Pixel XL2 rear to accompany the main.

Regarding stereo speakers, its possible on the XL2 that due to slimmer top and bottom Bezels we may actually have a combo of bottom firing speaker and front earpiece speaker (like iPhone and HTC 10/U11) rather than the dual front facing speakers which are expected in the Pixel 2 due to its beefier bezels.

The XL2 could definitely be my next device, I just pray that Google don't make purchasing one an absolute hell like current pixels ....

Reactions: epicrayban

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am actually excited to see what Google does with the Pixel XL 2 and Pixel 2. This could be the phone of the year if you do not like Samsung's software. A lot of people complain about some lag, hiccups, or it being too resource intensive. I get it, Samsung's software isn't your cup of tea. Neither is it mine, but I am ignoring the shortcomings.

It has almost everything you could ask for in a modern smartphone: clean software, fast updates, high end camera, sufficient RAM, high caliber screen, dual speakers, biometrics, water resistance, strong build quality.

Here's to smaller bezels, dual rear cameras, and to a ton of availability at launch. Going to be a tough battle between the V30, Note 8, and Pixels.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I like the size of my S8 very much. But I'd prefer completely stock Android. I have mine as stock as you can possibly get it right now -- changed status bar icon and nav bar icons; Google apps rather than Samsung for dialer/email/messaging.

After going back to the store and looking at the LG G6 last week, I found myself drawn to the flat screen after having curved for a while. I really don't care for the curved screen on the S8. I'd be glad to go back to flat. So, I'm curious to see the Pixel XL2 and V30 in person and see how it is.

The things that would really deter me from purchasing the XL 2 are size and lack of wireless charging. If it really doesn't have wireless charging I won't even consider it. I've grown too accustomed to keeping the S8 on my wireless charger.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
"We’ve been told that the Pixel 2 XL will come equipped with a Wide Color Gamut and Google Imaging Chip, as well as Optical Image Stabilization."

This part is interesting. Previously there haven't been any rumors of OIS. I don't mind a single rear camera if we can get solid meaningful improvements like OIS, which would really help video I've heard.

And the battery size of the pixel 2 XL isn't a regression from last year (unlike the Note 8)!

It took a while but I am finally feeling the hype for this phone. Can't wait for official announcement!

Reactions: MRU and Cakefish

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
"We’ve been told that the Pixel 2 XL will come equipped with a Wide Color Gamut and Google Imaging Chip, as well as Optical Image Stabilization."

This part is interesting. Previously there haven't been any rumors of OIS. I don't mind a single rear camera if we can get solid meaningful improvements like OIS, which would really help video I've heard.

And the battery size of the pixel 2 XL isn't a regression from last year (unlike the Note 8)!

It took a while but I am finally feeling the hype for this phone. Can't wait for official announcement!

Confirmation of OIS is huge news. Expect this to leapfrog iPhone 8 camera to the very top of smartphone lowlight photography!

I cannot wait. This phone sounds perfect.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A prime example here of how internet rumours and the 'chinese Whisper's effect works.

SlashGear: These are the Pixel 2, Pixel XL 2 specs to look out for next week. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwuojalDY

This article is based on the android authority post above but look how they have taken

new-pixel-2-xl-leak.jpg

"Our source mentioned that the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will come equipped with dual cameras with OIS, but we think they may have meant a back and front camera as we’ve seen in the image above" posted by Android Authority

Slashgear then morphed what they read into something different and mocked up a device with dual cameras on the rear and front firing speakers and reported this as the Pixel XL 2 ...

ecPW0-N4sYXlDXljEG2QnWtiKE8zY4av89huoHLA6uo9Hd2NF-nbWtkZAY_K5NcPNS4RGlT_lgVKy89pYYEP=w605

A perfect example of how the dissemination of a leak gets morphed and changed from one tech site to another ... literally hours apart .....

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The things that would really deter me from purchasing the XL 2 are size and lack of wireless charging. If it really doesn't have wireless charging I won't even consider it. I've grown too accustomed to keeping the S8 on my wireless charger.

Google will be a full year behind on wireless charging, which is supremely ironic since Nexus devices were some of the first to have it. Oh, Google.

Reactions: jamezr and v0lume4

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Google will be a full year behind on wireless charging, which is supremely ironic since Nexus devices were some of the first to have it. Oh, Google.

Yep! I still have my Nexus wireless charging cube from the Nexus 5 days! I actually put my Apple Watch Dock on top of it at this point in time. I'm anxiously waiting the announcement of the new Pixel 2 XL as I'm still undecided about the iPhone X.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Anyone seen these new leaks? MrWhosetheBoss got an 'anonymous' email allegedly showing a new Pixel phone: Ultra Pixel

nexus2cee_google-ultra-pixel-1-728x491.png

There's more images as well and can be seen from his video:

I've also seen some leaks online of the screen protectors which show very narrow bezels, so it seems to match up with a Pixel device having slim bezels, just like we can see from the image on the MacBook Pro above.

If that's the case, this is very exciting. Was just losing hope that Google will be releasing a boring device with big bezels, but this leak comes as a surprise and it seems like they're stepping up to the competition.

So it looks like there may be 3 phones from Google: Ultra Pixel, Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 2 to match the profiles of the new iPhones this year. :D

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The Pixel 2 XL is looking like an updated Nexus 6P, which is a good thing, as I think the 6P was the best Nexus device to date, and I still have one, it's smoother and no lag, than the galaxy S8+ I had.

And rumors of the 3,500mAh battery in the Pixel 2 XL, means battery life similar to the S8+ which has amazing battery life.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone seen these new leaks? MrWhosetheBoss got an 'anonymous' email allegedly showing a new Pixel phone: Ultra Pixel

View attachment 721883

There's more images as well and can be seen from his video:

I've also seen some leaks online of the screen protectors which show very narrow bezels, so it seems to match up with a Pixel device having slim bezels, just like we can see from the image on the MacBook Pro above.

If that's the case, this is very exciting. Was just losing hope that Google will be releasing a boring device with big bezels, but this leak comes as a surprise and it seems like they're stepping up to the competition.

So it looks like there may be 3 phones from Google: Ultra Pixel, Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 2 to match the profiles of the new iPhones this year. :D
Is it telling that Photoshop is just below it ;)

Too many conflicting reports.

We will see in a week's time, but I do not see three SKU's when Google was struggling to manufacturer 2.

Reactions: jamezr

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Is it telling that Photoshop is just below it ;)

Too many conflicting reports.

We will see in a week's time, but I do not see three SKU's when Google was struggling to manufacturer 2.
If you have a look at the full photo in the YouTube video, you'll see the photo itself appears to be taken inside a Google office/studio of some sort. I'm guessing the leak got some credence to it based on the assumption that the photo is of a designer actually working on designing that piece of marketing material, maybe even using Photoshop, or is reviewing it or working on the marketing. Couple that with the thought that it's not a piece quick piece to design and the other leaked images from the same source in the video, I'd say it looks to be legit.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Everything I am reading about this Ultra pixel screams of made up BS story. It could be a preview of what they may be aiming to do in 2018, but nothing released next month.

I really like what I am seeing for the Pixel 2 XL, but I have zero faith in the shipping and inventory with Google involved, I hope we don't have another back ordered till February crap again. And sold out almost immediately as it goes on sale.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
I will never understand why they are keeping the form factor (nearly) the same on the Pixel 2, and are not minimizing the bezels like the XL. I was really hoping to try the Pixel this time around, but think I'll stick with Samsung.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I will never understand why they are keeping the form factor (nearly) the same on the Pixel 2, and are not minimizing the bezels like the XL. I was really hoping to try the Pixel this time around, but think I'll stick with Samsung.
Ask Apple. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Haha. I thought Google would be better than that -- look at how great they did with keeping the original Pixels the same, save for the screen size.

I'm hoping that next year may be a return to form, seeing that Google will presumably return to just one OEM for manufacturing (HTC).
[doublepost=1506616574][/doublepost]I love that we still don't know anything concrete about the design of the upcoming Pixels. It makes this all the more exciting. :D

Reactions: jamezr

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like they are almost going the same way as Apple. Offering a traditional model that looks just like last year but with updated internals (Pixel 2 and iPhone 8) and a superior model with no bezels and expensive (2 XL / Ultra pixel and iPhone X).

Reactions: v0lume4

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That "fake" leak also says Google is adopting gestures for navigation in Android like the iPhone X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.