Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is it possible that after they announce the new ones, that the current models will still be available to purchase and at a reduced price?

Unlikely. Google removed the Nexus devices from ALL stores, even those where they were not going to sell the Pixel after its announcment.

Given short supply of Pixels generally, I imagine they will remove it from store and use last remaining inventory to service warranty replacements only.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
That's the one thing that's always baffled me about Google when a brand-new Nexus or pixel gets released they should keep last year's phone in stock and sell at a reduced price but they just don't and won't do that last year is pixel will just disappear from Google sites like it never existed

Reactions: jamesrick80

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Unlikely. Google removed the Nexus devices from ALL stores, even those where they were not going to sell the Pixel after its announcment.

Given short supply of Pixels generally, I imagine they will remove it from store and use last remaining inventory to service warranty replacements only.
Well that’s disappointing. I suppose buying last years model on eBay or other places wouldn’t likely fetch a lower price then.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The nice thing that Apple does with her old iPhones once a new iPhone comes out that keep the last year's model and two years ago model around and sell it at a discounted price but the best thing about it is there still brand new unopened box iPhones to get a good deal on the pixel a year later yeah they'll be cheaper but most likely than that brand new still in the box it's probably someone else's older phone they might be in mint condition like new condition for then I can be officially sold through Google brand new in the box at a discounted price I'm no Apple fan don't like the iPhone but I got to give credit Apple does that right and Google has no freaking clue

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
So im currently on Verizon with an iPhone SE. I want to order from the Google Store once the Pixels come out. Is it simply order the phone and swap the SIM if the new Pixels dont have an ESIM? Anything I need to do on Verizon’s end?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
So im currently on Verizon with an iPhone SE. I want to order from the Google Store once the Pixels come out. Is it simply order the phone and swap the SIM if the new Pixels dont have an ESIM? Anything I need to do on Verizon’s end?
Verizon uses different SIM cards between iPhones and Android devices. If you swap your SIM it will work, but you won't get visual voicemail on the Pixel using a SIM that's setup for an iPhone. So you would have to visit a Verizon corporate store and they will give you a new SIM for free. If it uses an ESIM then I am not sure on that one, but my guess is you'd have to login to your Verizon account to replace the iPhone SE with the new Pixel, or you may be able to do that from the phone itself.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Yeah, that’s sort of what I’ve been gathering the last couple of weeks reading everyone’s comments in this forum. I’m a bit afraid of that happening again this year. Quite baffling for such a large company as Google is.

Is it possible that after they announce the new ones, that the current models will still be available to purchase and at a reduced price?

Yes, that’s usually the best time to get the previous version. You will have to be quick though cause they like to discontinue them.

Last edited:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
So I spent some time today researching how bad the stock situation was with the original Pixel. It was really shockingly bad. Way worse than the Nexus 6p/5x launch, maybe the worst Google phone launch (from a stock perspective) since the Nexus 4.

And for those who want the Pixel 2 XL, I kind of see this year being worse. The demand is going to be extremely lopsided for the larger version considering the modest improvements to the regular Pixel. I've never really been one for preorders. I like to think about my purchase, watch some reviews etc. I also worry about getting that first batch of stock which has a precedent for having more bugs.

For anyone planning on getting the Pixel 2/XL, what are your plans for getting one? Pre-order on Oct 4th? Order on launch day (presumably Oct 20th like last year). Wait for reviews? I'm not in desperate need of a new phone but I don't want to be waiting until after Christmas either.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So I spent some time today researching how bad the stock situation was with the original Pixel. It was really shockingly bad. Way worse than the Nexus 6p/5x launch, maybe the worst Google phone launch (from a stock perspective) since the Nexus 4.

And for those who want the Pixel 2 XL, I kind of see this year being worse. The demand is going to be extremely lopsided for the larger version considering the modest improvements to the regular Pixel. I've never really been one for preorders. I like to think about my purchase, watch some reviews etc. I also worry about getting that first batch of stock which has a precedent for having more bugs.

For anyone planning on getting the Pixel 2/XL, what are your plans for getting one? Pre-order on Oct 4th? Order on launch day (presumably Oct 20th like last year). Wait for reviews? I'm not in desperate need of a new phone but I don't want to be waiting until after Christmas either.
My plan is to watch the event, if I can, and if I’m satisfied what is announced, primarily by cost, I’ll try to pre-order a Pixel 2. If not, then I’ll likely choose to find the right now current model of my choice somewhere and try to get one. Or I might still consider that Moto X4 as well. Essentially my goal is to get something that works on Project Fi.

Reactions: Saturn1217

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I never understood the desire people wanting these tiny phones anyways. a 5" or 4.7" is so small, might as well get a old cell phone. Plus the worst part about these small phones is the tiny useless batteries they put in them, they'd never last a full day with heavy use.

I've always liked the bigger phones for one main reason, the bigger battery inside = longer battery life. Plus with the bezels being reduced on these larger phones, they make them pretty compact today. Few years ago, a 6" phone was brick and gigantic. But today a 5.8" or even 6" phone is barely much bigger than the old 5.3" sized phones.

Actually, small phone ≠ bad battery.
iPhone SE has great battery life.

Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime destroys all major flagship phones when it comes to battery life (and yes, note 8, iPhone 7+, etc. included).

I could do without a large phone. But without a compact phone? No thanks :)

P.S.
I use small + big in combination all the time :p

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
My plan is to watch the event, if I can, and if I’m satisfied what is announced, primarily by cost, I’ll try to pre-order a Pixel 2. If not, then I’ll likely choose to find the right now current model of my choice somewhere and try to get one. Or I might still consider that Moto X4 as well. Essentially my goal is to get something that works on Project Fi.
Seems like a reasonable plan to me. My goal is also to get something that works on Project Fi and my current provider (Verizon). I have already ordered a Pixel 1 with hopes of the price dropping and I'll just get a price match on it. If the Pixel 2 has a headphone port (although rumors suggest otherwise) I could be swayed in that direction. Either way, this is the first Google event I plan to follow live and I am definitely looking forward to it.

Reactions: S.B.G

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Google should certainly continue making the first gen Pixel available to consumers. It'll be their mid-price level options. Like a real hardware company would.

Reactions: S.B.G

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Google should certainly continue making the first gen Pixel available to consumers. It'll be their mid-price level options. Like a real hardware company would.
They wont though. As I say they will just use remaining stock to service warranty replacements and only Pixel 2 & 2 XL will be available on the store.

There will be a big sell off of Pixel and Pixel XL devices on the likes of eBay when the Pixel 2 / 2 XL is announced and resale value will drop on first gen quite significantly...

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Do you remember the Motorola Nexus 6 price drop when the Nexus 6P was just about to release ?

How cow they slashed the hell out of the Nexus 6, it sold brand new for around $650 to $700, and 11 months later Amazon was selling them for $299 a month before the Nexus 6P came out, and it was brand new in box Motorola Nexus 6, not used.

I have never seen that again from Google or Amazon. Even when the Pixel came out last year, the Nexus 6P never dropped to $299 brand new in the box at official retailers like Amazon. It was still selling for $400+

Only other time Google slashed the price of a Nexus / Pixel was the Galaxy Nexus. Brand new launch it sold for close to $700 direct from Google, and then the next year, it went on sale for $399, direct from Google themselves, phone wasn't even 9 month old.

Look at the prices still for the one year old Pixel XL, this is outrageous to have such a high price still a year later;

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixel-XL-Phone-32GB/dp/B01LY3OB8D

And is out fo stock still from Google ? or they stopped selling it now?
https://store.google.com/us/config/pixel_phone_us?hl=en-US

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
They wont though. As I say they will just use remaining stock to service warranty replacements and only Pixel 2 & 2 XL will be available on the store.

Sadly this is what's likely going to happen.

Reactions: MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Verizon uses different SIM cards between iPhones and Android devices. If you swap your SIM it will work, but you won't get visual voicemail on the Pixel using a SIM that's setup for an iPhone. So you would have to visit a Verizon corporate store and they will give you a new SIM for free. If it uses an ESIM then I am not sure on that one, but my guess is you'd have to login to your Verizon account to replace the iPhone SE with the new Pixel, or you may be able to do that from the phone itself.

My Verizon visual voicemail worked on a Note 8 swapping the SIM from an iPhone 7 plus. Not sure if the pixel phones have some kind of difference. Everything else worked perfectly, HD voice, wifi calling, data, mobile hotspot, etc.
[doublepost=1506833655][/doublepost]

I'm just going to order it immediately, of course pending that it is satisfactory in design and not priced at 1k. I don't mind if I'm a month waiting for it, better get it over with than wait and be 3-6 months behind. I'll be preordering the iPhone X as well, so I figure I'll be playing the waiting game no matter what.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

Do you know the time the event will be, and where best to watch?
thanks

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My Verizon visual voicemail worked on a Note 8 swapping the SIM from an iPhone 7 plus. Not sure if the pixel phones have some kind of difference. Everything else worked perfectly, HD voice, wifi calling, data, mobile hotspot, etc.
[doublepost=1506833655][/doublepost]

I'm just going to order it immediately, of course pending that it is satisfactory in design and not priced at 1k. I don't mind if I'm a month waiting for it, better get it over with than wait and be 3-6 months behind. I'll be preordering the iPhone X as well, so I figure I'll be playing the waiting game no matter what.

Do Apple slash prices a month before the new iPhone is released?

The Pixel is their iPhone, not the old Nexus way of doing things.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Wha? There aren't different sim cards between iPhones and Android phones on Verizon. Then all use nano SIMs. If you switch between the two and want the correct VM, all you do is call customer service and ask for it. That's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.