Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pixel XL 2, in a case, via @evleaks:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/914899507720130560

The front does resemble a V30, but with taller top/bottom bezels to hold in the front facing speakers

Love it, looks like a next generation Nexus 6P, the best Nexus / Pixel phone Google ever created. I went back to my 6P after having the iPhone 7 Plus and Galaxy S8+, I still find the Nexus 6P better than both those, no joke. So this Pixel 2 XL looks like it might be a beast.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm getting kind of curious about this device. Hopefully it'll work well with Sprint (if I get one). My credit card hasn't started to sweat just yet...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I might actually use it now that it is at the bottom. It is going to take up space on the stock launcher no matter what whether it's top or bottom. Might as well have it somewhere useful. :D

I would have preferred if they enabled it on swipe down, just like Apple. It's nice to have the screen real estate when search isn't needed. But we don't know what preferences Google will give us, maybe they will allow it only on swipe. Plus we always have Nova launcher.
[doublepost=1506967279][/doublepost]Interesting, Google now has a made for Google accessories certification program. This seems like decent evidence that Google is now looking to make themselves a hardware vendor similar to Apple. Let's see if Google can truly pull it off and actually have enough units to satisfy sales this time around.

https://9to5google.com/2017/10/02/e...gram-for-certified-accessories/#disqus_thread Yayyy!!! Now we can get $80 Google charging adapters also!!!

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Pixel XL 2, in a case, via @evleaks:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/914899507720130560

The front does resemble a V30, but with taller top/bottom bezels to hold in the front facing speakers
Wow. It looks exactly like the render Android Police leaked months ago. They were spot-on. I don't think that Android Police's pic featured dual front-firing speakers, however. So that's a treat. The Pixel 2 XL looks like the spiritual successor to the Nexus 6P.

I'm definitely stoked about the front firing speakers. I did hope that the bezels on the top and bottom would have been a little smaller, but with the front firing speakers, I have no room to complain.

For folks that will be purchasing a phone this year strictly on design, will the Pixel 2 XL be competitive enough?
[doublepost=1506967643][/doublepost]
Whoa, the side bezels :eek::confused:

Reactions: co.ag.2005

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Hmm, side bezels thicker than I expected, not made better by the bulbous frame. Still, a very acceptable phone. No it's no v30, but it's fairly close and MUCH better than the xl1. I just know they are going to overprice it though, and if I'm going to pay (my guess) $849 then it better be my dream phone including very thin side bezels. Top/bottom look decent, and I'm willing to cut them some slack because they got the stereo speakers in there.

But man, that frame is bulbous, it looks like a freakin case.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I might actually use it now that it is at the bottom. It is going to take up space on the stock launcher no matter what whether it's top or bottom. Might as well have it somewhere useful. :D
I just hope we can turn it off. With Google Assistant and Google Now Pane, I really don't need a search bar on my home screen .... Fingers crossed it's an option.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Just putting the pic up so I don't have to keep going back to twitter. Man the more I look at it, the bigger those side bezels and frame get, it looks like it's still inside a case. Why Google? ALL you had to do was tell LG to give you the v30, that's it!!

DLJsZPxXkAAVGn1.jpg

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Just putting the pic up so I don't have to keep going back to twitter. Man the more I look at it, the bigger those side bezels and frame get, it looks like it's still inside a case. Why Google? ALL you had to do was tell LG to give you the v30, that's it!!

View attachment 722951
I'm sort of grasping at straws saying this, but perhaps what we're seeing isn't quite the final design.

What I'm implying is that, IF the quoted photo isn't a leaked press image, it might just be a mockup/some Photoshop trickery based on the leaked in-case photo. Maybe the real design doesn't have bezels so noticeable.

Again, grasping at straws. I'm at the bargaining stage. :D

Reactions: spinedoc77

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

seeing it on your post now (vs. twitter) defintely makes it look like there's a thin TPU/plastic case on it or something. the way the light reflects off two locations at the top. It's definitely is more bezelicious than I thought it'd be (based on it being similar to V30 rumors). I guess we'll know for sure in a few days.

Reactions: spinedoc77

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They don't look that much bigger than the V30.

lg-v30-review-5.jpg

I think we're inflating the drama here.

Here is the U11

htc-u11-detail1-Format-960

Besides if you look at the image, it's looks like it's a render and not a genuine product shot, especially in regards to the screen. The screen appears to be just an image/shape and not an actual real screen on a device

1f03b93274fe087aba8988833ecad7a6.jpg

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
They don't look that much bigger than the V30.

lg-v30-review-5.jpg

I think we're inflating the drama here.

Here is the U11

Besides if you look at the image, it's clear it's a render and not a product shot. The screen is clearly just an image/shape and not an actual real screen on a device

They are looking about double the size for me (of course hoping they won't)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not sure "bezel-less" design and front-firing dual speakers can be a thing. The leak really looks odd. Whether the final thing will look better or not, we won't know til Wednesday, but for now, it's not looking pretty, IMO.

It's amazing how turned off from the Pixel 2 I've become.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
To me the Pixel 2 XL just looks like an updated Nexus 6P, going back to the stereo front facing speakers. Out of all the Nexus / Pixel phones, the 6P is an all-time classic.

A smartphone with dual front speakers, is hard to have a bezel less design.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm going to be really po'ed if that is the case. Stupid gimmick that no one is going to use. We have no way of knowing either because all of HTC phones have huge bezels.

Anytime you're squeezing or applying pressure to a non-tactile surface, something doesn't feel right. Like HTC U11 and Apple's 3D Touch on the screen. The only time pressure-sensitivity feels like it's been used right is in the S8/Note 8 home button and that's only because it's meant to do one and only one thing: bring you home even a Home icon isn't present. That's it.

I'll be upset if those side bezels are a result of the squeezability feature, too. Something is terribly amiss if that render is showing so much side bezel when there actually isn't. Either it's accurate (Blass is a highly reliable leaker) or the rendering is dramatically off measurement.

If you want to argue the top/bottom ones are worth it for the stereo speakers, fine (I personally disagree), but the side bezels? No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.