Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm going to be really po'ed if that is the case. Stupid gimmick that no one is going to use. We have no way of knowing either because all of HTC phones have huge bezels.

FWIW, I did find it handy when I had the U11. I use my phone's flashlight a lot, so a quick squeeze of the phone fired up the flashlight. Makes it easier than "show lockscreen, swipe down on notification shade, tap flashlight quick access toggle" to fire up the flashlight. In fact, I'm enjoying having my Bixby button on my Note 8 mapped so that I can turn the flash light on/off with 2 quick presses of the Bixby button. While the squeeze feature is still somewhat gimmicky, if you can make good use of it, why not use it?

edit: more words added

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
FWIW, I did find it handy when I had the U11. I use my phone's flashlight a lot, so a quick squeeze of the phone fired up the flashlight. Makes it easier than showing lockscreen, swipe down on notification shade, tap "flashlight" quick access toggle. In fact, I'm enjoying having my Bixby button on my Note 8 mapped so that I can turn the flash light on/off with 2 quick presses of the Bixby button. While the squeeze feature is still somewhat gimmicky, if you can make good use of it, why not use it?
That is a great use case for the squeeze function!

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
While the bezels might look thicker than I'd have hoped, who am I kidding, I'm getting it regardless. I think the Google Photos and actual Phone we see this Wednesday will alleviate our concerns.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This photo from EVLeaks. I wonder if there will be a black XL?

Attachments

• 60A24F40-B789-48AD-8768-6857C8064DD1.jpg
    60A24F40-B789-48AD-8768-6857C8064DD1.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 124

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This photo from EVLeaks. I wonder if there will be a black XL?

I'm pretty put off by the design of both based on these likely accurate leaks.

The Pixel 2 XL is slightly awkward trying to achieve the "bezel-less" look but still needing the space for dual front-firing speakers, not to mention the odd back design/colors. I'm certain there will be an all black one. The price is also a barrier.

And the regular Pixel 2, well, that's just a tragedy.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If true, it means they'll be as limited as the X.

Everyone repeat after me: Google is not serious about hardware.

That or they can't/don't know how to be serious about hardware. I thought they were graduating from the Nexus program -- a program you could argue was the "beta" stage of the Pixel. With the Pixel 1, they made a great impression and first showing for a first-gen device, and that signaled to me the were getting serious.

Then came the Pixel 2 rumors...!

And now with the partial-HTC acquisition, it's clear Google just isn't ready for the Pixel to really go big primetime. And that affects options for customers (cough, Pixel 2). As much as I'm waiting for a Pixel that can finally separate me from Samsung, Google just doesn't have their ducks lined up yet to get there.

Not yet anyway.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
That or they can't/don't know how to be serious about hardware. I thought they were graduating from the Nexus program -- a program you could argue was the "beta" stage of the Pixel. With the Pixel 1, they made a great impression and first showing for a first-gen device, and that signaled to me the were getting serious.

Then came the Pixel 2 rumors...!

And now with the partial-HTC acquisition, it's clear Google just isn't ready for the Pixel to really go big primetime. And that affects options for customers (cough, Pixel 2). As much as I'm waiting for a Pixel that can finally separate me from Samsung, Google just doesn't have their ducks lined up yet to get there.

Not yet anyway.

They're always going to hit the same wall: if they too aggressively enter the hardware game, it might spook all the OEMs producing Android phones. Google makes way too much money from search and services, and that will change if OEM's start looking for potential escape routes from Android. Granted, it ain't easy launching a new OS but it's not like it's going to stay iOS/Android forever. Sooner or later someone is going to design as good or a better mouse trap.

Reactions: epicrayban

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
FWIW, I did find it handy when I had the U11. I use my phone's flashlight a lot, so a quick squeeze of the phone fired up the flashlight. Makes it easier than "show lockscreen, swipe down on notification shade, tap flashlight quick access toggle" to fire up the flashlight. In fact, I'm enjoying having my Bixby button on my Note 8 mapped so that I can turn the flash light on/off with 2 quick presses of the Bixby button. While the squeeze feature is still somewhat gimmicky, if you can make good use of it, why not use it?

edit: more words added

I suppose it would be quick squeeze for flashlight or having thin bezels. I'd rather have the thin bezels and do the 2 steps of swipe up/press flashlight toggle.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So this article claims a Google insider said the release will be staggered with the XL not coming out until Nov 15th.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/02/these-are-the-google-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl/

Here we go, even before the phone launches, they are already prepping us for back orders LOL

Announce the phone early October, have it for sale six weeks later. Hmm, where have we heard this before ? I GUARANTEE the Pixel 2 XL will be very difficult to get right away, in the exact color and GB size you want, it will be frustrating and back ordered for awhile.

Pretty much if you want the Pixel 2 XL, mentally prepare yourself for not getting it until January or so.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I’m actually really digging the regular pixel 2. I don’t mind the bezels. I want the camera and the 835 which has proven to do wonders for battery life on other handsets this year.

Reactions: Cakefish

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
My concern is overall size of the XL 2. The larger bezels with a larger screen makes me concerned it's just going to be a larger device than I want. My S8 is just the perfect size. I want something that size with stock Android.

The regular Pixel 2 just isn't an attractive purchase with a 1080p screen and huge bezels. Ugh, I guess I'll just have to keep waiting for my dream phone.

And if there's no wireless charging it's all a moot discussion anyway. I thought earlier rumor was it would have wireless charging.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Anytime you're squeezing or applying pressure to a non-tactile surface, something doesn't feel right. Like HTC U11 and Apple's 3D Touch on the screen. The only time pressure-sensitivity feels like it's been used right is in the S8/Note 8 home button and that's only because it's meant to do one and only one thing: bring you home even a Home icon isn't present. That's it.

I'll be upset if those side bezels are a result of the squeezability feature, too. Something is terribly amiss if that render is showing so much side bezel when there actually isn't. Either it's accurate (Blass is a highly reliable leaker) or the rendering is dramatically off measurement.

If you want to argue the top/bottom ones are worth it for the stereo speakers, fine (I personally disagree), but the side bezels? No.

Disagree. I’ve used the U11. Squeeze feature was actually awesome. I had all the same reservations about squeezing something that doesn’t squeeze, but this was cool. And useful.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Here we go, even before the phone launches, they are already prepping us for back orders LOL

Announce the phone early October, have it for sale six weeks later. Hmm, where have we heard this before ? I GUARANTEE the Pixel 2 XL will be very difficult to get right away, in the exact color and GB size you want, it will be frustrating and back ordered for awhile.

Pretty much if you want the Pixel 2 XL, mentally prepare yourself for not getting it until January or so.

I am confused how a multi billion dollar company can be so stupid, oh wait I forgot about LG. So the XL won't be available to order until well after the iPhone X goes on sale, most likely the biggest and most important update Apple has ever had. Yeah this won't end well, but Google doesn't really seem to care. You know I think Steve Ballmer is not employed currently, Google should really think about scooping him up.
[doublepost=1506990516][/doublepost]
My concern is overall size of the XL 2. The larger bezels with a larger screen makes me concerned it's just going to be a larger device than I want. My S8 is just the perfect size. I want something that size with stock Android.

The regular Pixel 2 just isn't an attractive purchase with a 1080p screen and huge bezels. Ugh, I guess I'll just have to keep waiting for my dream phone.

And if there's no wireless charging it's all a moot discussion anyway. I thought earlier rumor was it would have wireless charging.

In particular my concern is the top/bottom bezels. I appreciate the speakers a LOT, but at the same time if it's already tall/narrow because of the 18:9 ratio, how much taller do those speakers make it? Hopefully it won't be as bad as the Note 8.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I have said this for years, and still seems somewhat possible LOL

That the Nexus / Pixel team, is just a bunch of nerds in the Google HQ's basement, that the bosses give them a hundred million bucks to play with, allowing them to create their stock Android toy per the management bosses.

That at the end of the day, Google themselves, meaning the big wigs in charge, give two fuks about making their own phones and selling them to the public, that's not even on their radar to think about. But to the few Google engineer nerds working in the basement, it means the world to them, it's their life's work, everything.

But the Google boss says "Meh whatever, let's make a couple million or so phones over the course of 12 months, but not more than that, and if we run out of stock of Pixel 2's, no big deal, just tell the customer to go buy a HTC U11 or LG V30 or something instead. "

Reactions: arkitect

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I have said this for years, and still seems somewhat possible LOL

That the Nexus / Pixel team, is just a bunch of nerds in the Google HQ's basement, that the bosses give them a hundred million bucks to play with, allowing them to create their stock Android toy per the management bosses.

That at the end of the day, Google themselves, meaning the big wigs in charge, give two fuks about making their own phones and selling them to the public, that's not even on their radar to think about. But to the few Google engineer nerds working in the basement, it means the world to them, it's their life's work, everything.

But the Google boss says "Meh whatever, let's make a couple million or so phones over the course of 12 months, but not more than that, and if we run out of stock of Pixel 2's, no big deal, just tell the customer to go buy a HTC U11 or LG V30 or something instead. "

I also wonder if they are concerned with annoying the other device makers using Android by offering something that would truly be competitive. Maybe that's the reason they leave out wireless charging and can't keep up with demand.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I also wonder if they are concerned with annoying the other device makers using Android by offering something that would truly be competitive. Maybe that's the reason they leave out wireless charging and can't keep up with demand.

Ding, ding, ding, you are the winner, chicken dinner.

The Nexus line, now Pixel, is just a small pet project within Google, and they are never serious about going the Apple iPhone or Samsung Galaxy route with their stock Google phones, they do not want to be a [H]ardcore smartphone manufacturer like them.

I think the Pixel line last year, made up, what, maybe 0.05% of smartphone sales ? I think they sold around 1.5 million Pixel phones in 12 months, maybe 2 million or so. Whereas as Apple sold well over 150 million iPhone's in one year, and Samsung close to Apple too.

Google is just trolling us nerds fooling us into thinking they really give a damn about their Pixel phones, sure they care to a point, but more for brand recognition, and status, and to show the other Android manufactures how they envision stock Android should be.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.