Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
If true it looks like both Google and LG want me to buy an iPhone X this year instead of an XL 2 or V30

Lol good luck getting an iPhone X anytime soon - Apple staggered the rollout and, more importantly, the production too.

I'm guessing Google are facing certain issues too, hence the delay.

I don't know why everyone is losing it over the design, anyway. You know the keynote will be cool, you know we'll almost all be interested once they show us what it can do, once the stellar reviews come in....

Biggest thing I've never understood about this forum - why people care so much about what the back of the phone looks like... Who cares?

The Pixel was ugly as sin and almost everyone who bought one appears to love it all the same. I'm sure this year's Pixel range will do well too.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Lol good luck getting an iPhone X anytime soon - Apple staggered the rollout and, more importantly, the production too.

I don't know why everyone is losing it over the design, anyway. You know the keynote will be cool, you know we'll almost all be interested once they show us what it can do, once the stellar reviews come in....

Biggest thing I've never understood about this forum - why people care so much about what the back of the phone looks like... Who cares?

The Pixel was ugly as sin and almost everyone who bought one appears to love it all the same. I'm sure this year's Pixel range will do well too.
True words...... I was a big critic of the Pixel leaks last year. Hated the back of the phone....until I used it and all that went out the door.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I love my blue pixel XL. its the nicest colour combination I have ever had in a smartphone.

Yeah it's lovely, I even like the Panda one this year.

But I'd still go and put a case on it. And I'd never sit there looking at the back of it, either.

How it feels/functions is far more important. I'm excited about the presentation tomorrow, I'll be watching it back in the evening!!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I love my blue pixel XL. its the nicest colour combination I have ever had in a smartphone.

It's really special. I love it too.

Too bad the blue this year doesn't quite live up to the first gens.

Reactions: MRU

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'd forgotten it was tomorrow.
I think with the recent pricing of the V30, iPhone X and Note 8, I have automatically put myself out of the race to get one of these as I imagine it will be similar if last years Pixel price is anything to go by.

Still, I'll give it a watch to torment myself.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'd forgotten it was tomorrow.
I think with the recent pricing of the V30, iPhone X and Note 8, I have automatically put myself out of the race to get one of these as I imagine it will be similar if last years Pixel price is anything to go by.

Still, I'll give it a watch to torment myself.

Pixel 2 starts at $650 for 64gb storage. $750 for 128gb.

Pixel 2 XL starts at $850 and $950, I believe, for the same storage options.

Reactions: Aneres11 and MRU

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Pixel 2 starts at $650 for 64gb storage. $750 for 128gb.

Pixel 2 XL starts at $850 and $950, I believe, for the same storage options.

Yup, anything that starts with a 6 is as much as I'm willing to go for a phone when I'm buying it outright.
Pounds, as I'm in the UK.

Anything starting with a 7, 8, 9 or 10 (!) :eek: is a total no go. I'm just glad I've managed to find a phone I'm fairly attached to as otherwise I'd likely be a kidney down come November. :D

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Another leak with new Google home assistant. Hope it's ceramic.

google_home_mini_chalk_3.jpeg

Reactions: jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
a potential leak of the Google Home mini via Walmart today (on accident) but also shows another angle of the Pixel 2 XL (possibly, according to Android Central).

More photos of Google Home Mini and Pixel 2 XL revealed in Walmart listing
Wow... So that really is the design of the phone. Hm.

Also, judging by that photo, white-on-white Pixel 2 XL confirmed? I'd personally prefer that over the storm trooper color scheme. Kind of wish the bezel were white too, though that might not look as good in reality as it does in my imagination.
[doublepost=1507048196][/doublepost]Also the Pixel 2 XL design reminds me of a Lumia smartphone with that black border around the device.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have said this for years, and still seems somewhat possible LOL

That the Nexus / Pixel team, is just a bunch of nerds in the Google HQ's basement, that the bosses give them a hundred million bucks to play with, allowing them to create their stock Android toy per the management bosses.

That at the end of the day, Google themselves, meaning the big wigs in charge, give two fuks about making their own phones and selling them to the public, that's not even on their radar to think about. But to the few Google engineer nerds working in the basement, it means the world to them, it's their life's work, everything.

But the Google boss says "Meh whatever, let's make a couple million or so phones over the course of 12 months, but not more than that, and if we run out of stock of Pixel 2's, no big deal, just tell the customer to go buy a HTC U11 or LG V30 or something instead. "

I think you are onto something, but I also think Google took notice and wants to expand it, hence their HTC purchase and the other moves they've made signaling they want to be a hardware company. The strategy of making their own hardware, but then hamstringing their own manufacturing always seemed odd to me, the only way to make sense of it was that Google was just throwing stuff onto the wall and seeing what stuck.

But now that Google has taken notice and is really pushing to become a hardware vendor, I think they are hamstrung by too many cooks in the kitchen, just like Microsoft was in the early 2000's when they frittered away the mobile market. Hopefully Google can recover and make better decisions, but honestly I really doubt any of these poor decisions affects them that much financially. They are a slow and ponderous giant and for them to turn this corner will take time. I guess we will find out more tomorrow and in the coming weeks.
[doublepost=1507051916][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1507048196][/doublepost]Also the Pixel 2 XL design reminds me of a Lumia smartphone with that black border around the device.

Yep, exactly! Nokia had that weird plasticky border kind of frame, really it was a case around the innards. It created a prominent lip around the screen that I utterly hated, that was the pinnacle of ugliness IMO. After experiencing how nicely Apple and Samsung are blending the glass screen with the sides and back I'm not sure I can go back to having an ugly 2014 type lip around my phone.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

Google is facing delay issues because LG is holding up the manufacturing of everything. LG V30 and the Pixel XL 2 will have the same exact OLED 6 inch display which is most likely the bottleneck in manufacturing these devices. I'm just anticipating quality control issues galore since LG has a reputation for it. On the other hand, the regular Pixel 2 is being produced by HTC and will be released earlier.
[doublepost=1507056756][/doublepost]
Just putting the pic up so I don't have to keep going back to twitter. Man the more I look at it, the bigger those side bezels and frame get, it looks like it's still inside a case. Why Google? ALL you had to do was tell LG to give you the v30, that's it!!

View attachment 722951

I thought this was the S8 Active with a new skin....LOL

The S8 active actually looks a bit better.

hero-SM-G892AZAAATT-081217-v2.jpg

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Right I'm off to the android forums to see how the faithful cope with the imminent removal of their headphone jack and then presumably rewrite their comments from last year (and to see who said the same on here too) - should be very entertaining ...

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Right I'm off to the android forums to see how the faithful cope with the imminent removal of their headphone jack and then presumably rewrite their comments from last year (and to see who said the same on here too) - should be very entertaining ...
You're already in the Alternative Devices forum. ;)

Accepting the removal of the headphone jack doesn't mean being okay with the removal of the headphone jack, let's just make that clear. :p

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Well.... they still have a finger print, don’t they? Appears they will have a larger screen and oled for a cheaper price.

I love my iPhone 8 plus, but give credit where it is due. I was strongly considering the new pixel XL, but I am not willing to wait until November and play the stock game again. Not with the XL, and not with the iPhone X, even if it was your price range that I considered reasonable.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Google is facing delay issues because LG is holding up the manufacturing of everything. LG V30 and the Pixel XL 2 will have the same exact OLED 6 inch display which is most likely the bottleneck in manufacturing these devices. I'm just anticipating quality control issues galore since LG has a reputation for it. On the other hand, the regular Pixel 2 is being produced by HTC and will be released earlier.
[doublepost=1507056756][/doublepost]

I thought this was the S8 Active with a new skin....LOL

The S8 active actually looks a bit better.

View attachment 723221

Which is why I am curious if it’s using LG’s OLEd as it’s a given that it will have quality issues. Google must know the V30 OLED’s problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.