Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I'm seriously looking at the Pixel, cause I'm bored to tears of iPhone. But my biggest concern would be managing two 'sets' of Photos. For example, all my photos since 2014 exist in iCloud Photo Library. I don't know if I'd be annoyed with, say, the next two year's worth of photos existing in Google Photos (or whatever its called). I'm sure that's a minor complaint, but has anyone here actually got experience with managing two 'sets' of photos on two different services.

How easy would it be to migrate photos from Google back to iCloud if I switched back to iPhone? I don't think I'd want to import my iCloud library into Google because I'd lose all the Live Photos and other features not supported by Google services.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm seriously looking at the Pixel, cause I'm bored to tears of iPhone. But my biggest concern would be managing two 'sets' of Photos. For example, all my photos since 2014 exist in iCloud Photo Library. I don't know if I'd be annoyed with, say, the next two year's worth of photos existing in Google Photos (or whatever its called). I'm sure that's a minor complaint, but has anyone here actually got experience with managing two 'sets' of photos on two different services.

How easy would it be to migrate photos from Google back to iCloud if I switched back to iPhone? I don't think I'd want to import my iCloud library into Google because I'd lose all the Live Photos and other features not supported by Google services.

Live photos are supported in Google Photos.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm sure that's a minor complaint, but has anyone here actually got experience with managing two 'sets' of photos on two different services.
All of my photos from both Android and iOS are on Google Photos. It's not a problem that way, as Google Photos can be accessed from any device. I'm not sure why you would want to migrate photos back from Google Photos to iCloud since you can still use the Google Photos app on iOS.

I'm really thinking I'm leaving iOS for a Pixel 2.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
All of my photos from both Android and iOS are on Google Photos. It's not a problem that way, as Google Photos can be accessed from any device.

I'm really thinking I'm leaving iOS for a Pixel 2.

Do your iOS photos automatically sync to Google Photos? Do Live Photos work seamlessly still?
[doublepost=1507137392][/doublepost]
Live photos are supported in Google Photos.

I was not aware of that. Thank you. So it may in fact be possible to simply import my iCloud library and have everything in the same place. How easy is that process? Cause I have my Photo Library set to preserve device space, so everything is technically stored in iCloud. Would I have to download everything locally before?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
To be fair, I probably wouldn't switch because I love my Apple Watch. But it certainly seems like Apple finally have some serious competition. They're clearly not the 'best' option out there anymore.

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
Now I hope that everyone will stop bashing  because of the damn headphone jack. Bluetooth is the future and everything else that can be used wirelessly.

Reactions: 576316

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Now I hope that everyone will stop bashing  because of the damn headphone jack. Bluetooth is the future and everything else that can be used wirelessly.

For all my hate at Apple, I really can't understand people who still moan about the headphone jack. It was a necessary, logical revolution. It was a horribly dated technology and the majority of the world had moved on.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Unless of course thats the release date (Nov 15) Just ordered the XL2 in black, 128gb.
[doublepost=1507138035][/doublepost]I wasn't expecting pre orders to go live until after the event. Perhaps I was slacking.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Just watched the Live stream.
I'm speechless.
This is class defining and what I thought for a while - Google gives you what is available NOW. Apple on the other hand hold back a year or so.

I've found my next phone. Pre-ordering ASAP.

Cheers

Reactions: potentmf

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
My plan is to watch the event, if I can, and if I’m satisfied what is announced, primarily by cost, I’ll try to pre-order a Pixel 2. If not, then I’ll likely choose to find the right now current model of my choice somewhere and try to get one. Or I might still consider that Moto X4 as well. Essentially my goal is to get something that works on Project Fi.

The original Pixel is still on the page and starting at $542

Reactions: S.B.G

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pixel XL2 already slipped to ships in 5-6 weeks in the uk

Well isn't the release date for the XL not until Nov. 15th.

Or are you saying it won't ship until end of December ? If that's the case, F you Goog
[doublepost=1507138799][/doublepost]Just checked to pre order, and shows the Pixel 2 XL 7 weeks out.

How are people saying the new Pixel will deliver on October 19th ?

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
For those who were waiting for these to be announced as an alternative to the iphone 8/8 Plus/X what are your thoughts?
Will you be buying or changed your mind back to an iphone?

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Not sure about the whole November thing for the XL 2, but as you can see in my order confirmation email, the XL 2 should be delivered to me in just a couple weeks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171004-124159.png
    Screenshot_20171004-124159.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: deany

CGoodlet26

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Seemingly unpopular opinion but I think a notch with equally small bezels on the other 3 edges looks better then the no-bezel sides with both a chin and forehead look, even if they are reduced in size. So personally the Pixel 2 XL didn’t wow me but definitely competes with other android phones announced this year. But the iPhone X takes the cake as far as design is concerned for me. One more month....

Reactions: comptr and Jetcat3

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Just want to confirm Pixel 2 in the UK does it come with 2 year warranty?

I've searched but can't find the Warranty T&C

cheers

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Anyone else trying to order the XL b/w 128gb and whenever you hit "Checkout" it refreshes back to the screen without doing anything?

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Tig, the Playstore is showing XL 2 128GB just black as shipping October 17. You may want to check again.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
To be fair, I probably wouldn't switch because I love my Apple Watch. But it certainly seems like Apple finally have some serious competition. They're clearly not the 'best' option out there anymore.
Sadly the Apple Watch is what's holding me to iOS at the moment. I may switch to a Pixel but I'd hold onto my iPhone 7 just to sync my Apple Watch.

Reactions: deany

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
From a quick look Pixel 2 seems to have a better camera, the unlimited Google photos storage is very nice as is a free Google Home Mini. Much lighter than the 8 and X at 143g, and roughly the same size as the iPhone X.

Fast charge and always on display seems good

I'm very tempted....have an 8 on order for 24th Oct delivery to store, so no rush to make a decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.