Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
For those who were waiting for these to be announced as an alternative to the iphone 8/8 Plus/X what are your thoughts?
Will you be buying or changed your mind back to an iphone?
I'm going for one of them. Just not sure which one. I'll still have a toe in iOS with my iPad Pro 9.7, though.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
LOVE the design on these phones. They're so good looking I don't mind the bezels at all. Very interested in the Lens and general Google Assistant features too, camera looks fab and the speakers too. If it wasn't for me always wanting the biggest screen possible & having use for the S Pen I'd go for the XL in a heartbeat. But damn are they good looking.

Hey, how is this whole Google Assistant thing on a Samsung phone nowadays? I mean, can I get anywhere close to the same experience with that stuff on a Note 8 right now?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Just to answer my own question before:
Pixel 2 in UK and EU has 2 year warranty, unlike apples poxy 12 months

my 'Just black' 5" Pixel 2 is arriving 19th to 23rd Oct with light grey fabric case.

10 year iPhone owner.

Where are folks getting their screen protectors?

thanks
View attachment 723459
Which iPhone you upgrading from?

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Got a Pixel XL order in, originally said delivers Oct. 17, but by the time it went through said Oct 24-25.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
LOVE the design on these phones. They're so good looking I don't mind the bezels at all. Very interested in the Lens and general Google Assistant features too, camera looks fab and the speakers too. If it wasn't for me always wanting the biggest screen possible & having use for the S Pen I'd go for the XL in a heartbeat. But damn are they good looking.

Hey, how is this whole Google Assistant thing on a Samsung phone nowadays? I mean, can I get anywhere close to the same experience with that stuff on a Note 8 right now?

Google Assistant is TOP NOTCH! I love it! I had it on my Note 5 before it came to the iPhone. It reminds me when my favorite shows come on, favorite team is playing. If an actor I like show is on. It's pretty much seamless and if you don't like it you can just ignore it.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I don't think HTC knows how to make a phone with slim bezels

Well, with Lg G2 they were way ahead of any competition imho. Pretty slim bezels, 'large' phone that was easily used with just one hand. Phone of the year IMHO back then. But with LG G3 they completely changed their heading, and it's been a downfall ever since :(

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
TLDR, but is the XL2 available for sale? I only see the pixel and pixel 2 on googles site, I don't even see the xl1 for sale anymore.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
TLDR, but is the XL2 available for sale? I only see the pixel and pixel 2 on googles site, I don't even see the xl1 for sale anymore.

Pixel 2—click that for option to purchase regular or XL. Though, at the moment, the site is showing Unavailable over the usual Buy button.
[doublepost=1507141845][/doublepost]The Verge's First Look:

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
I am deterred from buying an iphone X due to the price but seeing how much a 2XL would be its not far off. Tough decision.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Trust me, you'll have no issues transferring from iCloud Photos to Google Photos. I've done it myself without issues and the Google Photos app and artificial intelligence is heads and shoulders above those offered by the Photos app in iOS. Google Photos does support live photos.

You'll have no issues reverting back to iCloud either. Make the switch!

Gaaaaa, you make it sound so tempting! Alas, I have a new Apple Watch coming on Friday and it's one of my favourite products. :p

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Seems you can buy again. Ship times are slipping.

I got my pre-order in of the black and white Pixel 2. Neither are for me.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Trust me, you'll have no issues transferring from iCloud Photos to Google Photos. I've done it myself without issues and the Google Photos app and artificial intelligence is heads and shoulders above those offered by the Photos app in iOS. Google Photos does support live photos.

You'll have no issues reverting back to iCloud either. Make the switch!

Hi
If I fire up Google photos on iOS will all the photos be uploaded in the highest resolution, ready for my new Pixel 2?
thanks

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Hi
If I fire up Google photos on iOS will all the photos be uploaded in the highest resolution, ready for my new Pixel 2?
thanks

You have to choose the original quality option, I believe. It will then upload full quality to whatever amount of Google Drive space you have--not unlimited like the 'High Quality' option.

Reactions: deany

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Google Assistant is TOP NOTCH! I love it! I had it on my Note 5 before it came to the iPhone. It reminds me when my favorite shows come on, favorite team is playing. If an actor I like show is on. It's pretty much seamless and if you don't like it you can just ignore it.
Sweet. So would it work as well when installed on a Note 8 as on the Pixel 2 for example? Or are there parts of the functionality which only works on a Pixel? (aside from the squeezy thing obviously)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.