Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
$150 difference, still a good amount and it comes with that other item for free...

True $150 is nothing to sneeze at. I think I was getting at the fact that with large amounts like that whats another $150 to get the phone you really wanted to begin with.

I just read up on the mini thing they are including. I suppose one could sell that to recoup additional money.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Sweet. So would it work as well when installed on a Note 8 as on the Pixel 2 for example? Or are there parts of the functionality which only works on a Pixel? (aside from the squeezy thing obviously)

Google assistant works great on my Note 8, same hold home button to fire up google assistant action and everything. Ok Google voice prompt works well everywhere (phone locked or unlocked). But IDK if it's lacking compared to a Pixel. I don't think it is but I don't own a Pixel

Reactions: Oohara and potentmf

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Sweet. So would it work as well when installed on a Note 8 as on the Pixel 2 for example? Or are there parts of the functionality which only works on a Pixel? (aside from the squeezy thing obviously)

It should, it worked on my Note 5. I was able to open apps with it (ex. play music, tweet, read recipes) just by saying hey google.

The best thing they did was made it an app so other android phones can use it.

It works great on the iPhone too, the only downside is I can't replace Siri with it so I have to actually open the app every time.

The fact that it understands languages with an accent is a big plus for me.

Reactions: Oohara

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
OK was able to get my order in, delivery Oct 23-24. I have no idea of the specs beyond the rumors as I was busy all day and didn't catch the event. But I figured I better order before they sell out. I can always cancel the order. Got an all black one with 64gb. Will run with this and the iPhone X for a while to see which I like better.

Reactions: Oohara and potentmf

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Google assistant works great on my Note 8, same hold home button to fire up google assistant action and everything. Ok Google voice prompt works well everywhere (phone locked or unlocked). But IDK if it's lacking compared to a Pixel. I don't think it is but I don't own a Pixel

I think the only difference is less competing software. Don't have to deal with Bixby, multiple apps for the same things.
[doublepost=1507143384][/doublepost]
OK was able to get my order in, delivery Oct 23-24. I have no idea of the specs beyond the rumors as I was busy all day and didn't catch the event. But I figured I better order before they sell out. I can always cancel the order. Got an all black one with 64gb. Will run with this and the iPhone X for a while to see which I like better.

I'll follow you so you can tell me the good, bad and ugly. Getting married next year, so my annual phone funds are tied up.

Reactions: spinedoc77

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I ordered a 128gb XL black .. delivery set for oct 20th .. not sure if im going to make the switch but thought it was better to get in before the delivery fell to months.

I didnt get preferred care though cuz i thought you could add on later like applecare but apparently you cant and im not cancelling and reordering =(

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Pixel 2—click that for option to purchase regular or XL. Though, at the moment, the site is showing Unavailable over the usual Buy button.
[doublepost=1507141845][/doublepost]The Verge's First Look:

Oh no! I realised early on in that Verge video its the XL that is more for me.
I have iPhone 6 with Morphie battery "brick" so an XL is fine.
The screen 'real estate' is very noticeable: standard v XL
Am on phone now to Mountain View to change order.
Thanks for posting video BTW!

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I think the only difference is less competing software. Don't have to deal with Bixby, multiple apps for the same things.
[doublepost=1507143384][/doublepost]

I'll follow you so you can tell me the good, bad and ugly. Getting married next year, so my annual phone funds are tied up.

I have bixby off and button remapped. Doesn't get in my way. In fact, a long press of the bixby button launches Google Assistant if I'm so inclined ;)

edit: typo

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It's pretty ugly and runs android. Not sure why I would be enticed.

Hahahah I love this guy.
It runs Android (which doesn't entice him) but here he is in the Alternative section to go into the thread about a phone he thinks is ugly (and running Android) to tell us all that he's not sure why it would entice him.

Lol. Thanks for the laughs man.

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
I ordered a 128gb XL black .. delivery set for oct 20th .. not sure if im going to make the switch but thought it was better to get in before the delivery fell to months.

I didnt get preferred care though cuz i thought you could add on later like applecare but apparently you cant and im not cancelling and reordering =(

I thought you can only get applecare after the fact for mac products? I didnt know you can get applecare for an iphone after the fact!!!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Seeing the industry struggle with OLED supplies, you can almost forgive Google for the Pixel 2 design. Supplies are what they are (look at Apple and the iPhone X). OEMs have their hands tied.

Also, IMO, I think the Pixel 2 XL is rather ugly. The regular Pixel 2's front bezels are obviously no better, but they're not trying to go more bezel-less.

The Pixel 2XL tries to go for the bezel-less look but because of the front firing speakers (which is cool) it not only doesn't achieve it, it's oddly noticeable how badly it fails to. It's still less bezels and more screen, and that is good, but there's something just a little off or odd about the design. Like bezel-less + front firing dual speakers shouldn't co-exist.

And those side-borders cannot be unseen.

M0QYLUll.png

And then you factor in the price?

Honestly, I rather get the Pixel 2, even with its dated front design.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Hahahah I love this guy.
It runs Android (which doesn't entice him) but here he is in the Alternative section to go into the thread about a phone he thinks is ugly (and running Android) to tell us all that he's not sure why it would entice him.

Lol. Thanks for the laughs man.

It was posted to the iPhone section. Yet, here you are on an Apple forum.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Guys,

Does anyone know about this awesome feature on the new Pixel? The Pixel can listen in on any background music being played and it will display the name of the song automatically on the lock screen. But what's more amazing is that this is all done locally and no data is transferred to Google's servers. You can see it here at the 05:40 mark:

Did I miss it in the keynote?

Reactions: potentmf and Oohara

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If you want OS updates as soon as they're available, then get the Pixel 2.

If you want the latest OS update months after it has been released, then get the Note 8.
Samsung's UI already has many features which Android updates bring months in advance

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Seeing the industry struggle with OLED supplies, you can almost forgive Google for the Pixel 2 design. Supplies are what they are (look at Apple and the iPhone X). OEMs have their hands tied.

Also, IMO, I think the Pixel 2 XL is rather ugly. The regular Pixel 2's front bezels are obviously no better, but they're not trying to go more bezel-less.

The Pixel 2XL tries to go for the bezel-less look but because of the front firing speakers (which is cool) it not only doesn't achieve it, it's oddly noticeable how badly it fails to. It's still less bezels and more screen, and that is good, but there's something just a little off or odd about the design. Like bezel-less + front firing dual speakers shouldn't co-exist.

And those side-borders cannot be unseen.

M0QYLUll.png

And then you factor in the price?

Honestly, I rather get the Pixel 2, even with its dated front design.

Have to disagree here, I think the XL2 is quite nice looking. The side bezels are thicker than what I wanted, but I hope that's partly because of the curved glass making them seem larger in pictures. The top/bottom bezels are a hair larger than I thought, but I accept that as a trade off for the stereo speakers. I'm also not overly fond of the frame, which as someone else pointed out looks like the old Nokia phones. But overall I think it's a pretty handsome phone with much smaller bezels than the 1st gen. I can't wait to see how it looks/feels in person.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And Android often brings features to new updates that Samsung does not have.

There is nothing that is part of Samsung's UI that I want in vanilla Android.
Its worth getting the Samsung just for the S Pen as nothing comes close. You also get the best screen and best design. Of course if you just care about software get the Pixel :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.