Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I remember someone on here harping about how Google doesn't sell last years models as discounts. Well, they are now, at $100 off only but it's the same as Apple's reductions. They left the storage low though (starts at 32) so the 2 is only a few bucks more.

Saw that. Limited options, though. But good that Google is offering it as a mid-tier model.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Seeing the industry struggle with OLED supplies, you can almost forgive Google for the Pixel 2 design. Supplies are what they are (look at Apple and the iPhone X). OEMs have their hands tied.

Also, IMO, I think the Pixel 2 XL is rather ugly. The regular Pixel 2's front bezels are obviously no better, but they're not trying to go more bezel-less.

The Pixel 2XL tries to go for the bezel-less look but because of the front firing speakers (which is cool) it not only doesn't achieve it, it's oddly noticeable how badly it fails to. It's still less bezels and more screen, and that is good, but there's something just a little off or odd about the design. Like bezel-less + front firing dual speakers shouldn't co-exist.

And those side-borders cannot be unseen.

M0QYLUll.png

And then you factor in the price?

Honestly, I rather get the Pixel 2, even with its dated front design.

after watching the Verge video I think, if size is okay, the XL looks far better, totally subjective of course.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
after watching the Verge video I think, if size is okay, the XL looks far better, totally subjective of course.

I think you're right. I wouldn't go as far as calling the Pixel 2 better looking than the 2XL, but the 2XL just seems like it tried to go bezel-less, and then failed.

No doubt the bezels are unbelievably large in the regular Pixel 2, but at least it looks "normal" in its way. The 2XL is trying to look like a next-generation smartphone (bezel-less, etc.), but kinda fumbles it. I think dual front-firing speakers are a great feature, but it's really at the expense of that bezel-less attempt.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I think you're right. I wouldn't go as far as calling the Pixel 2 better looking than the 2XL, but the 2XL just seems like it tried to go bezel-less, and then failed.

No doubt the bezels are unbelievably large in the regular Pixel 2, but at least it looks "normal" in its way. The 2XL is trying to look like a next-generation smartphone (bezel-less, etc.), but kinda fumbles it. I think dual front-firing speakers are a great feature, but it's really at the expense of that bezel-less attempt.

I think you read my post as a pixel 2 standard die hard.
I'm sold on the lack of forehead and chin on the XL
Cheers

Reactions: epicrayban

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Ah, I could be confused. How long does Apple support devices for?
[doublepost=1507149987][/doublepost]

I sit corrected.

Will edit. Thanks, both of you.
It's still impressive for Google to offer this. I will never own a Pixel, but I still think it's a big leap forwards for Android in general. They are being treated like a first class citizen now.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Why on earth is the original Pixel and XL still so pricey on the UK store?
Are Google having a laugh?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I've been following your post with interest the last few weeks.
Whats your view in the Pixel 2 v other smartphones?
thanks

It looks to be great hardware. Software is where we should see if it's really better than the others.

Are you on an older subsidy based system?

Nah, just realized the best way to deal with 1k$ phones is through ATT Every Year.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
It looks to be great hardware. Software is where we should see if it's really better than the others.

Nah, just realized the best way to deal with 1k$ phones is through ATT Every Year.

I guess the OS will take a good month or so to trial.
We'd expect that, now Google are truely going after iOS, that Google owning Android (alphabet inc.) pixel 2 will try and hit a home run out of the stadium.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just 15 minutes of fast charge adds 7 hours of usage to the Pixel 2.

Is it me or is that a new standard??

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I’m genuinely excited about the 2XL. The rumors leading up sounded good, but I wasn’t sure. And then the rumor of it not shipping until mid-November really took the air out of the balloon for me.

However, the 2XL really seems to check all the important boxes I’ve been looking for in a phone lately.

Great screen-to-body ratio: CHECK.
Stock Android: CHECK
Good Battery Capacity: CHECK (3540 mAh is terrific, esp with the 835 efficiency)
Awesome Camera: CHECK and CHECK
Stereo Speakers: CHECK
Water Resistance: CHECK

While the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack may be lamented by some, I’ve finally embraced the wireless world. Recently picked up a pair of Sony 1000xm2’s and they’re fantastic! I don’t miss wires. Wireless charging is something that I may have enjoyed, but it’d be new to my usage and so therefore I don’t count it as a miss for my needs.

Thank you, Google, for creating a largely uncompromising phone. Can’t wait for Oct 19th when it’ll be delivered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.