Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
That's fine. I didn't say your way was wrong.

But the ability to root and ROM is NOT important to ALL people who are interested in Nexus or Pixel phones that anyone can say that the entire point of owning one of them is so that you can do that.

Maybe TO YOU that is the point of owning one of those phones, but you don't speak for everyone who likes those phones.

Understood, but to me the Nexus line and now Pixel, is the uber niche specialty phone, highly used by XDA members. Usually most people that only think root are in trees and have zero clue about customization, would just get a "Galaxy" phone or maybe an LG.

I personally don't see why average Joe blow would pick up a Pixel 2 XL over let's say the Galaxy S8+ or Note 8 or LG V30 ? The average 99% smartphone buyer doesn't even know what "stock Android" means, and updates to them are meaningless.

But I am happy to see non tech people interested in the Pixel phone now too, that's always good. And no disrespect meant, but in my opinion the Nexus / Pixel line was more for the super tech nerd that likes to dig down deep into their smartphones, access the Settings to truly tweak the heck out of the phone, improving battery life, and squeezing out faster performance. And for the people not into that, Android has come a long way lately, and a S8+ or V30 is maybe best suited fro them.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Understood, but to me the Nexus line and now Pixel, is the uber niche specialty phone, highly used by XDA members. Usually most people that only think root are in trees and have zero clue about customization, would just get a "Galaxy" phone or maybe an LG.

You may have a point about the Nexus phones, but the Pixel phones are much higher profile and are being marketed towards a much larger audience. Buying advertisements in movie theaters that play before movies is not just targeting an "uber niche" audience.

I personally don't see why average Joe blow would pick up a Pixel 2 XL over let's say the Galaxy S8+ or Note 8 or LG v30 ?

Because of the camera? Because those customers have a Google Home and/or like Google services? Because the Pixels have a nice, clean software experience that doesn't require people to install new apps just to get a keyboard (or whatever else) that isn't extremely ugly like the one on the S8? Because they like the hardware (not everyone thinks Samsung phones are beautiful)? My sister is a totally average user and those reasons are why she has a Pixel. I'm sure she's not the only person in existence who has that opinion about those phones.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
You may have a point about the Nexus phones, but the Pixel phones are much higher profile and are being marketed towards a much larger audience. Buying advertisements in movie theaters that play before movies is not just targeting an "uber niche" audience.

Because of the camera? Because those customers have a Google Home and/or like Google services? Because the Pixels have a nice, clean software experience that doesn't require people to install new apps just to get a keyboard (or whatever else) that isn't extremely ugly like the one on the S8? Because they like the hardware (not everyone thinks Samsung phones are beautiful)? My sister is a totally average user and those reasons are why she has a Pixel. I'm sure she's not the only person in existence who has that opinion about those phones.

I agree with you on why we should all prefer the Pixel phone as THE Android phone. To me the Pixel phone is the only Android phone to buy. But does the average Joe Schmoe know are care about that ?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That's fine. I didn't say your way was wrong.

But the ability to root and ROM is NOT important to ALL people who are interested in Nexus or Pixel phones that anyone can say that the entire point of owning one of them is so that you can do that.

Maybe TO YOU that is the point of owning one of those phones, but you don't speak for everyone who likes those phones.

If there is a list of wants and priorities in a smart phone purchase, rooting is at the very bottom. If fact, if I have to root a device to make it usable, I’m not buying it at all.

As for the Pixel2, the XL is enticing.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
I agree with you on why we should all prefer the Pixel phone as THE Android phone. To me the Pixel phone is the only Android phone to buy. But does the average Joe Schmoe know are care about that ?
Google is late to the game with the Pixels, but I think people are catching on. I do see them here and there. There's not that many of them, but more and more of them are taking notice because the Pixels do offer things that they care about.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
As a guy with a phone with wireless charging, this isn't something that'd push me away.

This is really the only reason I'm not sure if I'll purchase. I'm still concerned about the size, but I don't know if I could go without wireless charging. My S8 stays on my wireless charger at home. I'm spoiled by never having to hook a wire to it. When the phone rings or I get a text, I just pick it up and then set it back down when done.

Reactions: epicrayban

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This is really the only reason I'm not sure if I'll purchase. I'm still concerned about the size, but I don't know if I could go without wireless charging. My S8 stays on my wireless charger at home. I'm spoiled by never having to hook a wire to it. When the phone rings or I get a text, I just pick it up and then set it back down when done.

I'm assuming you don't have cats.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Considering the fast charge of 7 hours charge in 15 minutes, maybe the wireless charging isn't as big of a deal. I'll just have to determine based on size once I can see it in person at Verizon.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Google Lens looks pretty amazing.

And I can't wait for the next gen Pixel Buds. A lot of promise. It makes me think of the movie Her.

[doublepost=1507170125][/doublepost]
Considering the fast charge of 7 hours charge in 15 minutes, maybe the wireless charging isn't as big of a deal. I'll just have to determine based on size once I can see it in person at Verizon.

Yeah, that's pretty wicked fast. Am I mistaken, is that an industry first? I don't feel like I've heard gaining 7 hours in 15 mins. They must be counting from 0% battery?
[doublepost=1507170225][/doublepost]

Google is going to be a full year behind this feature. They really should've gone with glass.

CGoodlet26

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Are you planning to buy the iPhone X? I am, but I don't know which storage option to choose. I need some advice.
I am not the one to ask about that lol I am definitely ordering the iPhone X but right now I have both 256 & 64 marked as favorite so I haven't decided yet either!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Tapping the Google search bar that's now on the bottom also brings up your most used apps, giving it a bit more functionality for taking up that space. Hope Google let's us turn this search bar off or put it back at the top (like a widget?).

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
But unfortunately we do, to squeeze out every last bit of power and better RAM management and longer battery life.

I have been rooting and ROMing my Android phones for years, and ROM'd phones vs Stock phones are night and day different, even on Nexus phones. Even new ones, not just old school phones. A rooted and ROM'd Galaxy S8+ is a way smoother experience compared to a stock S8+ FACT.

A good custom ROM on the Pixel XL from last year, compared to a stock Pixel XL, will get you much better battery life #1. And a overall smoother and snappier experience #2. Yes the 2016 Pixel XL is a very smooth fast device stock already, but ROM'd it's impressive on how much better it makes it.

I was right into custom ROMS on my Nexus devices, was fun to play around with but i spent far to much time flashing new ROMS then actually using the phone for a very limited gain over stock. Give me an S8 any day, it has all the features i want and i don't have to lift a finger, of if you don't like 'Samsung Experience' a stock Pixel 2 XL would do me fine.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Pixel 2 64GB £629
iPhone 8 64GB £699

Pretty competitive pricing there from Google. Puts Apple to shame for straight $1=£1 pricing with their new iPhones.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
This smartphone is really ugly. Especially for the price point you have to pay in Europe.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Pixel 2 64GB £629
iPhone 8 64GB £699

Pretty competitive pricing there from Google. Puts Apple to shame for straight $1=£1 pricing with their new iPhones.

To be fair its:

Pixel 2 64GB £629
iPhone 8 64GB £828

so 31.64% more

both with 2 year Warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.