Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
Seemingly unpopular opinion but I think a notch with equally small bezels on the other 3 edges looks better then the no-bezel sides with both a chin and forehead look, even if they are reduced in size. So personally the Pixel 2 XL didn’t wow me but definitely competes with other android phones announced this year. But the iPhone X takes the cake as far as design is concerned for me. One more month....
Are you planning to buy the iPhone X? I am, but I don't know which storage option to choose. I need some advice.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
They said it would only be a couple weeks. The 64 will be plenty for me. My 8 Plus is only 64GB too. Just checked order says delivers by 10/24

Nice.

For me, Pixel 2 black arrives 10/19, Pixel 2 white arrives a week later. Both 128GB.

Reactions: jamezr

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I guess the OS will take a good month or so to trial.
We'd expect that, now Google are truely going after iOS, that Google owning Android (alphabet inc.) pixel 2 will try and hit a home run out of the stadium.

Mine main question will be BT. How good is their BT stack on the Pixel 2?

Yup. I like the phones, but I just don’t want to pay upfront for them. I’d rather do installments through AT&T.

You can get them through installments on Google, but they don't have an every year thing that I'm aware of.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Did anyone buy any of the official Pixel cases? I ordered the cement for the XL2 as the carbon was out of stock. Then it briefly came back into stock so I bought that as well.

Spoke to Google chat & they said nobody in the UK got an October delivery date for the XL. Although they hope to ship earlier than the mid November date.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Does the preferred care plan thing have to be bought at the time of purchase, or can I buy it later?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Does the preferred care plan thing have to be bought at the time of purchase, or can I buy it later?

Good question would hope where you live -USA? offer a standard 24 month warranty.
With regard to an accident Home imsurance should cover, worth checking though.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well, the XL1 versus 2 are 71.4% to 76.4% screen to body ratio, so less of an improvement than I thought. But still markedly better than the ip 7+/8+ at 67.7%. I don't think I'll really be able to make a judgement until I have one in front of me. Looking at videos in some angles the side bezels are pretty thin and you can see its 2.5D glass curved down to where the back cover goes over it a bit. But in other angles the side bezels look pretty big. I'm still not sure if it's just an optical illusion or not.

Either way I think it will be an improvement over something like the Note 8, which I felt wasted screen space on the curved portion and still had side bezels. Adding the Note 8's side bezels AND the curved screen portions would almost definitely be wider than the XL2's bezels.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Nice little comparison of the Pixel 2 XL iPhone 8 Plus and Note 8

pixel.JPG

pixel2.JPG

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8720&idPhone2=8131&idPhone3=8505

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I really like the white color, very fresh and unique color combo, it's like the old school classic Nexus phones that had that look, ala Nexus 5, and Nexus 6, and Nexus 6P.

If I am going to spend this much money outright on a phone, I'll wait for it to come back in stock, right now the white 64GB is out of stock. Unless I buy it from Best Buy, but those are Verizon phones I believe? Which means locked bootloader, and defeats the whole purpose of a nexus / Pixel, as those are meant to be rooted the minute the plastic comes off the phones :)

Looking forward to you guys getting them, and posting impressions.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Which means locked bootloader, and defeats the whole purpose of a nexus / Pixel, as those are meant to be rooted the minute the plastic comes off the phones :)
Bleah. I've done the bootloader unlocking, rooting, and ROMing, and I'm done with it. I just want a clean Android experience. If I have to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, and install a ROM to have the experience that I want, then as far as I'm concerned, the phone sucks. That's why I won't touch Samsungs, LGs, etc.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Bleah. I've done the bootloader unlocking, rooting, and ROMing, and I'm done with it. I just want a clean Android experience. If I have to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, and install a ROM to have the experience that I want, then as far as I'm concerned, the phone sucks. That's why I won't touch Samsungs, LGs, etc.

Sorry but I STRONGLY disagree, I am rooted and ROM'd on my Nexus 6P, and this phone just flies, ZERO lag, super smooth ALWAYS, and even better battery life due to the custom kernel. I get 5.5h to 6h Screen On time regularly with my ROM'd 6P.

Plus no adds ever, and even YouTube is add free no commercials. I have custom dark themes on here, and a deeper Settings menu to really go crazy into [H]ardcore options. With a rooted Nexus / Pixel the options are endless, and the phone isn't so plain jane compared to stock. With a good custom ROM, the default options are way more than stock, more features, like you'd get with a Motorola or OnePlus phone.

So yeah, a smoother lag free phone, significantly better battery life, and once it's all setup the way I tweak it, I'm done, and never touch the customization again, I keep it that way for months, and enjoy a great phone.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sorry but I STRONGLY disagree, I am rooted and ROM'd on my Nexus 6P, and this phone just flies, ZERO lag, super smooth ALWAYS, and even better battery life due to the custom kernel. I get 5.5h to 6h Screen On time regularly with my ROM'd 6P.

Plus no adds ever, and even YouTube is add free no commercials. I have custom dark themes on here, and a deeper Settings menu to really go crazy into [H]ardcore options. With a rooted Nexus / Pixel the options are endless, and the phone isn't so plain jane compared to stock. With a good custom ROM, the default options are way more than stock, more features, like you'd get with a Motorola or OnePlus phone.

So yeah, a smoother lag free phone, significantly better battery life, and once it's all setup the way I tweak it, I'm done, and never touch the customization again, I keep it that way for months, and enjoy a great phone.

And I have to disagree with you. Users should not have to do all that to get a lag free experience with great battery life.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
And I have to disagree with you. Users should not have to do all that to get a lag free experience with great battery life.

But unfortunately we do, to squeeze out every last bit of power and better RAM management and longer battery life.

I have been rooting and ROMing my Android phones for years, and ROM'd phones vs Stock phones are night and day different, even on Nexus phones. Even new ones, not just old school phones. A rooted and ROM'd Galaxy S8+ is a way smoother experience compared to a stock S8+ FACT.

A good custom ROM on the Pixel XL from last year, compared to a stock Pixel XL, will get you much better battery life #1. And a overall smoother and snappier experience #2. Yes the 2016 Pixel XL is a very smooth fast device stock already, but ROM'd it's impressive on how much better it makes it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
But unfortunately we do, to squeeze out every last bit of power and better RAM management and longer battery life.

I have been rooting and ROMing my Android phones for years, and ROM'd phones vs Stock phones are night and day different, even on Nexus phones. Even new ones, not just old school phones. A rooted and ROM'd Galaxy S8+ is a way smoother experience compared to a stock S8+ FACT.

A good custom ROM on the Pixel XL from last year, compared to a stock Pixel XL, will get you much better battery life #1. And a overall smoother and snappier experience #2. Yes the 2016 Pixel XL is a very smooth fast device stock already, but ROM'd it's impressive on how much better it makes it.

What ROM would you recommend for a Note8, then?

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Sorry but I STRONGLY disagree
That's fine. I didn't say your way was wrong.

But the ability to root and ROM is NOT important to ALL people who are interested in Nexus or Pixel phones that anyone can say that the entire point of owning one of them is so that you can do that.

Maybe TO YOU that is the point of owning one of those phones, but you don't speak for everyone who likes those phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.