Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Overall it looks like Google is making smart moves. Everything about the hardware and software makes sense.

Even the design of the Pixel 2 makes perfect sense. I can’t say the same for the iPhone X in terms of hardware and software.
[doublepost=1507187323][/doublepost]
This smartphone is really ugly. Especially for the price point you have to pay in Europe.

I don’t think it’s ugly at all. The design is very clean, symmetrical and doesn’t get in the way of the user experience. Everything on the phone serves a purpose and makes sense. That’s good design without an ounce of superfluous

Reactions: Oohara and deany

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
To be fair its:

Pixel 2 64GB £629
iPhone 8 64GB £828

so 31.64% more

both with 2 year Warranty

How does that work then?

Do Google have an AppleCare equivalent built in to the Pixel price?

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
I can't decide what I think about the pixel 2 XL. Having been on android for many years (currently with s7 edge) it is many ways what I want, and I enjoyed the keynote. But something is drawing me back to apple and the fact that I could go an pick up an 8 plus straight away is seriously tempting me right now. Is it time to try iOS again or go pure android? Hmmm decisions...!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I can't make my mind up on whether I actually like the design or not.
As it stands, I prefer the look of the normal sized device, even with those bezels. :eek:
Problem is, 5.4-5.7" is the sweetspot for me so 5" screen is just too small.

The XL just isn't giving me the 'I want that so bad' feeling like I've felt with other devices. The only thing that makes me want it is knowing the software experience, camera and updates are going to be the best of Android.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
How does that work then?

No, I was just comparing like for like. Most folks have house insurance that covers accidental damage.
I think I got offered extra cover on the pixel 2 XL pre-order.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How does that work then?

Doubt they do. Do they even have any stores in most countries? I know if there’s an issue with a google phone i have no where to go to. Least i do with apple and samsung.

From what i see only EE are again stocking the pixel..seriously? How do they expect to sale these devices

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
How does that work then?

Not sure about buying protection but.. they used to have the Nexus Protect for the Nexus range.

The normal Google warranty is actually better than Apples as it is two years compared to one year from Apple.. here in the UK at least (only qualifier is you need to purchase direct from Google).

I have had similar after sales experiences with Google as Apple. In fact Google replaced my Pixel earlier this year due to a screen issue with minimum fuss.

Google also have direct chat with support built in the Pixel range which is very useful.

It all adds up to a competent after sales network (apologies to divert from the initial question).

Reactions: JaySoul and deany

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Doubt they do. Do they even have any stores in most countries? I know if there’s an issue with a google phone i have no where to go to. Least i do with apple and samsung.

From what i see only EE are again stocking the pixel..seriously? How do they expect to sale these devices
I think there’s a bit of a google store in the pc world on Tottenham Court Road but that’s really far away for most people.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
How does that work then?

Preferred Care
$129.00
Add Preferred Care for Pixel 2 and enjoy your device knowing we’ve got you covered:
  • Worry-free protection for your phone for 2 years, which includes an additional year of coverage for mechanical breakdown and up to 2 claims for accidental damage. Plus access to participating walk-in centers for screen repairs.
  • Priority access to specially trained agents whenever you call. Available every day, 24/7.
  • Unlimited expert sessions to learn tips that help you make the most of your device & apps. Also available 24/7 on select topics.
See details, benefits and exclusions here. Google Store Help

Reactions: JaySoul

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Preferred Care
$129.00
Add Preferred Care for Pixel 2 and enjoy your device knowing we’ve got you covered:
  • Worry-free protection for your phone for 2 years, which includes an additional year of coverage for mechanical breakdown and up to 2 claims for accidental damage. Plus access to participating walk-in centers for screen repairs.
  • Priority access to specially trained agents whenever you call. Available every day, 24/7.
  • Unlimited expert sessions to learn tips that help you make the most of your device & apps. Also available 24/7 on select topics.
See details, benefits and exclusions here. Google Store Help
This isn't available in the UK though sadly. I wish it was, would have felt better getting some sort of insurance on the thing for the first couple months at least.

Reactions: potentmf

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No, I was just comparing like for like. Most folks have house insurance that covers accidental damage.
I think I got offered extra cover on the pixel 2 XL pre-order.
Deany, what other phones were you considering and what made you decide on the Pixel 2XL? I think I remember you showing an interest in the LG V30.

I was and still am so very drawn to the V30 but I’ve already done flavors of Android. I wanted to try the so-called pure Android. Even so, I didn’t necessarily want to spend more money on it this year when I already bought the S8+. Ultimately we are not sure we will be keeping the Pixel 2XL after we’ve put it through its paces. But if we do, I am thrilled about a promised 3 years of software upgrade support. I don’t anticipate keeping or using it past 3 years. We use iPhones that long and longer because the elders in the family are comfortable with iOS. Though iOS 11 may throw them for a loop. :(

There is one thing that really worries me. I am reading that AT&T doesn’t support WiFi calling, VoLTE and hi def calling on the Pixels since they don’t sell them. I’m not worried about the latter two as much but WiFi calling may sometimes be necessary.

I wonder if I should look into Project Fi. I know nothing about it but I do want to also start to learn about options beside AT&T. However, cost has me worried.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Does Google Store charge at the time of purchase, or not until the device is shipped?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
It may do an initial temporary charge to test the method of payment but you aren't actually charged until it ships (at least in the USA).
This is making it even more tempting for me. I was kinda all in on the iPhone X, but I'm growing rather tired of the Apple software team, and specifically with iOS 11. As I continue to see that design more-and-more as well, I'm leaning towards thinking it's an unattractive design. I'm strongly contemplating the switch over to pure android. OS update promises aren't really important to me, since I would definitely be getting the newest Pixel device each year.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This is making it even more tempting for me. I was kinda all in on the iPhone X, but I'm growing rather tired of the Apple software team, and specifically with iOS 11. As I continue to see that design more-and-more as well, I'm leaning towards thinking it's an unattractive design. I'm strongly contemplating the switch over to pure android. OS update promises aren't really important to me, since I would definitely be getting the newest Pixel device each year.

If you are going to make the switch, then this phone is probably your best bet for success. The Android loaded onto the Pixels is as close to iOS as you're going to get. Plus the fluidity of the phone is will be just as good as iPhone 8/X etc... I always tell my friends who contemplate switching to Android that they should give a Pixel or now Pixel 2 a try if they want the easiest transition.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
They charged me immediately.

That may or may not be a hold. I was also charged immediately

Yeah I guess I should have been more specific. They will charge you when the device is ready to be shipped or almost ready to be shipped, not the exact instant they ship it. I know there is a law in the US about you can't charge unless you have it ready to ship within X amount of days (think it's around 1-2 weeks). So if you order a model that says 4+ weeks until delivery you won't get hit with the full charge right away (unless it's a pending/temp charge that will go away in a few days).

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
T-Mobile is giving Pixel 2 and XL2 owners 50% of the phone's price to get people to use theirs on the Magenta network. It's in the format of a gift card too. No BS bill credits.

Reactions: epicrayban

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
T-Mobile is giving Pixel 2 and XL2 owners 50% of the phone's price to get people to use theirs on the Magenta network. It's in the format of a gift card too. No BS bill credits.

interesting. here's the press release: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/pixel-2-offer.htm

Looks like for new customers who are switching only? I signed up with T-Mobile a few months ago and pre-ordered a Pixel 2 XL. Would love to take advantage of this. I guess I could add a line, get the promo, then cancel the line... Hmm...

On another intereseting note, looks like the Pixels support "three of T-Mobile’s latest Advanced LTE technologies – 4x4 MIMO, three-way carrier aggregation and 256 QAM." IIRC, this is something that the unlocked variants of the S8 and Note 8 don't benefit from on T-Mobile and you actually need the T-Mobile branded hardware for.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
What I'm really wanting to do is switch to the Pixel 2 XL, and replace my iPad with a Chromebook. Not the Pixelbook, but just a decent Chromebook. That would free up around $110 off my AT&T bill, but I cannot get over the full price hurdle.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
:eek: Wow maybe I should look into that. I had originally been planning to kill my second line with AT&T. Though I think we are stuck with another year of commitment to it but my husband said we could wrangle a way to keep my favorite phone number and bring me back to one AT&T line before when I was going to kill my second line.

Great, my husband is texting me and saying he thinks taxes and fees will make it not worth moving to. But Pixels barely work on AT&T, right.? I wish I knew.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.