Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is my final post, just to say I ordered the Pixel 2 XL, sadly I have a 3 month wait before it is estimated to be delivered. Oh well.

Thanks for the years of discussion & banter, sometimes infuriation, oftentimes laughter, but it is finally time to mosey on and re-invest in life. Take care of yourselves.

Slán Abhaile to all. MRU
The place won't be the same without you MRU. Hope to see you around in the tech world in other places!

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This is my final post, just to say I ordered the Pixel 2 XL, sadly I have a 3 month wait before it is estimated to be delivered. Oh well.

Thanks for the years of discussion & banter, sometimes infuriation, oftentimes laughter, but it is finally time to mosey on and re-invest in life. Take care of yourselves.

Slán Abhaile to all. MRU
Why are you leaving?

Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Deany, what other phones were you considering and what made you decide on the Pixel 2XL? I think I remember you showing an interest in the LG V30.

I was and still am so very drawn to the V30 but I’ve already done flavors of Android. I wanted to try the so-called pure Android. Even so, I didn’t necessarily want to spend more money on it this year when I already bought the S8+. Ultimately we are not sure we will be keeping the Pixel 2XL after we’ve put it through its paces. But if we do, I am thrilled about a promised 3 years of software upgrade support. I don’t anticipate keeping or using it past 3 years. We use iPhones that long and longer because the elders in the family are comfortable with iOS. Though iOS 11 may throw them for a loop. :(

There is one thing that really worries me. I am reading that AT&T doesn’t support WiFi calling, VoLTE and hi def calling on the Pixels since they don’t sell them. I’m not worried about the latter two as much but WiFi calling may sometimes be necessary.

I wonder if I should look into Project Fi. I know nothing about it but I do want to also start to learn about options beside AT&T. However, cost has me worried.

Hi Grumps!

I've been looking at the usual suspects:
• S8+
• Note 8
• Mi Mix 2
• LG V30 (your recommendation)
• One Plus 5
• iPhone 8+

also waiting to see the Huawei Note 10 in a few weeks

The stand out features of the Pixel 2 for me

• HD OLED display with 538 pixel per inch on XL
• 7 hour in 15 mins charge time
• Always on display. I'm love my music, who doesn't! and I like the "Now Playing" feature that appears along with notifications and time.
• I like the fun colours on the power button (the black one is black though)
• Really like the "Live wallpapers" the waves on the beach, very cool!
• The "At a Glance" feature, meeting coming up etc
• The "Quick search" now searches the whole phone (I guess email, text) google did this on Windows and I missed it when they stopped supporting it years ago
• "Active edge squeeze" looks interesting
• Pure android with automatic updates
• The "Google Lens" which searches what you see ie A well know building, a dog breed etc
• Class leading camera with 98 DXOMark, highest yet and giving DSLR a run for their money
• AR4 -AR so many possibilities here, like shopping for groceries at home, trying a car before buying etc
• With 4K using so much storage the Unlimited cloud storage for all resolution, pictures and video
• The optimal image stabilisation feature, I do get the shakes sometimes!
• Water resistant (though not sure how water resistant)
• 10 min switch iOS to android
• The 2 year warranty here in the UK, apple are 1 year
• I like that google didn't charge $1 equals £1 like apple have started doing ie Google Pixel 2 £629 = $649
• really like the choice of cases
• free £49 google home mini (although I have dots so not sure what I do with the mini)
• I like the fact Google are offering the same features on both phones
• oh the forward facing speakers

I've ordered the XL in black with a fabric case, delivery 4 to 5 weeks.

With that amount of time I may cancel and do one of the following

• look at Note 8 prices around when S9 is released Feb/Mar 2018

• wait till next September prior to Pixel 3 and buy a Pixel 2 XL at a greatly reduced price, say £499
this should then last 2 years with 2 year warranty. And then always be a year behind the latest Pixel, I wouldn't mind that with these specs.
This sounds boring but now smarphones are in the £1000 mark I think it may make sense, also..

.....like everyone I love a bargain!

good to hear from you!
Cheers

Last edited:

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I’m torn between 64gb and 128gb... which would you guys get? I take a lot of photos and some videos and don’t install very many apps or games. I don’t keep my phones for very long (usually trade or sell them after 2 years) and Google’s free online photo storage through 2020 seems like it would mitigate a need for 128gb for my needs.

Edit: I’m currently using a 256gb 7+ with 135gb of free space.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I’m torn between 64gb and 128gb... which would you guys get? I take a lot of photos and some videos and don’t install very many apps or games. I don’t keep my phones for very long (usually trade or sell them after 2 years) and Google’s free online photo storage through 2020 seems like it would mitigate a need for 128gb for my needs.

Edit: I’m currently using a 256gb 7+ with 135gb of free space.

I think you'll definitely need 128GB based on your 7+ (even with unlimited storage)
I've read 4K can really clock up the GBs

Reactions: 5105973 and bchreng

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Canceled my order. The more I evaluated, the only bump from the Note is stock. I don’t think that’s enough to pull me away. Note 8 has been a champ.
After reading your post, I made a trip over to the Note 8 website and starting doubting my Pixel 2 XL pre-order. What have you done to me Widgeteer?!

I had the opportunity to use the Note 8 last weekend and I do have to admit -- it's a beauty.

I don't change phones much and I wanted something solid for 2-3 years, and I think the Pixel is just that. But I do hear that TouchWiz performance degradation isn't so bad these days!

Reactions: epicrayban

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

Slán Abhaile to all. MRU

Hey buddy don't leave, you're 'part of the furniture' here, we'll miss you.

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Someone PLEASE convince me to pay upfront for the Pixel 2 XL and not get the iPhone X. Lol.

I have a feeling the Pixel 2 XL is the phone that I really want. It's the only Android phone I'd really want.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Pixel phones work perfectly fine all 4 U.S. carriers no problem. They have all the network modems for everyone. The Pixel 2 XL on ATT would work 100% great.

As pointed out above, it is still crippled on AT&T in comparison to their other phones (and in comparison to using the Pixel on other networks), as you miss out on features such as wifi calling and HD voice (and VoLTE, I believe). So yes, it'll work fine, but you will be missing features.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I’m in a bit of shock myself to have a Pixel on preorder. I’m not sure what happened there. For weeks it was all about iPhone X for us here. My husband is still for it but I can’t say for sure what happened with me. I’m still interested in the HomePod.

We decided not to get the PixelBook. It’s really cool and our family likely would have loved it, but hubby and I have iPad Pros and there are really nice deals out there on cheaper Chromebooks for the kids that we would not mind so much if it had to be taken away on sleepovers or out of the house in general.

A regular Pixel 2 just makes more sense than an iPhone X. OLED screen, water resistance, dual speakers, AR features, best camera on the market, squeezable sides (even though I think it's a gimmick), etc for $649 vs the $999 iPhone X price? Gotta go Pixel 2 there.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
A regular Pixel 2 just makes more sense than an iPhone X. OLED screen, water resistance, dual speakers, AR features, best camera on the market, squeezable sides (even though I think it's a gimmick), etc for $649 vs the $999 iPhone X price? Gotta go Pixel 2 there.
but bezels.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

We don't know that yet. (Please don't quote DXO scores. They're garbage.)

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
This single video convinced me to try the Pixel (I take lots of video)

I think you can achieve similar results using a $150 gimbal.

[doublepost=1507231751][/doublepost]

Good point. The front facing portrait shot that MKBHD took with it at the event is pretty convincing though. (about 7:22 into the video)

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Regardless of the DXO score, last years' Pixels were widely regarded as the best smartphone cameras around. And the additional features (ois, dual pixels etc) will surely mean it's even better. Can't see the iPhone X being as good.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Someone PLEASE convince me to pay upfront for the Pixel 2 XL and not get the iPhone X. Lol.

I have a feeling the Pixel 2 XL is the phone that I really want. It's the only Android phone I'd really want.

Ugly notch, removed TouchID, new FaceID and new resolution on the iPhone X may take developers a while to work around. The Pixel has dual front facing speakers and innovative front and rear cameras that may rival the X has to offer. Google’s also offering a free Home Mini to sweeten the deal.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting to note that those who ordered the "Panda" version will get the first units sooner if you ordered the Verizon model from Google, vs the unlocked. Checked with others who ordered same time but verizon vs. unlocked made a difference. Verizon must have paid Google a boat load of cash to allow their customers to get theirs before those ordering the unlocked model.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Interesting to note that those who ordered the "Panda" version will get the first units sooner if you ordered the Verizon model from Google, vs the unlocked. Checked with others who ordered same time but verizon vs. unlocked made a difference. Verizon must have paid Google a boat load of cash to allow their customers to get theirs before those ordering the unlocked model.
>:0

I'm a Verizon customer, but I ordered the unlocked version.

Mid-Nov delivery date. Yeargh!

Reactions: 5105973

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
>:0

I'm a Verizon customer, but I ordered the unlocked version.

Mid-Nov delivery date. Yeargh!

Well the Verizon model won't have an unlocked bootloader so if you are into that then you made the right choice. Otherwise you could have had it around late October if you ordered quickly enough. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.