Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I'll gladly trade dual speakers for a SD slot, headphone jack, S-Pen, and the bevy of Samsung features. If I didn't own a Galaxy, I would've bought a first gen Pixel, Pixel 2, or LG G6.

Sell it if you can. That’s what I’m planning to do with my S8+. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I just want to reiterate how impressive the portrait mode is on these early impressions -- you can actually see through people's hair the background being blurred. It can differentiate the foreground and background by that much fine detail.

And all done in software. Which means it can work for the front camera also.

The iPhone 8, priced more, doesn't have portrait mode in anyway, if I'm not mistaken. Overall, I think both Pixel 2 models are better options than the iPhone 8 models.

Reactions: deany

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I just want to reiterate how impressive the portrait mode is on these early impressions -- you can actually see through people's hair the background being blurred. It can differentiate the foreground and background by that much fine detail.

And all done in software. Which means it can work for the front camera also.

The iPhone 8, priced more, doesn't have portrait mode in anyway, if I'm not mistaken. Overall, I think both Pixel 2 models are better options than the iPhone 8 models.
Would you link to some portrait mode samples please? I haven't been able to find many.

Remember that article from a couple or so months ago where that former Google employee said that Apple had figured out mobile photography, and that "if you care about photography, you need an iPhone." Oh brother.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Would you link to some portrait mode samples please? I haven't been able to find many.

Remember that article from a couple or so months ago where that former Google employee said that Apple had figured out mobile photography, and that "if you care about photography, you need an iPhone." Oh brother.

Check out Mr Mobile's video impression. MKBHD's video demonstrates it well, too. Really any of them, all showing very promising and impressive portrait snaps.

This was the one that differentiated hair:

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Oh cheese, I forgot about that little kerfuffle!

Actually if you care about photography you need a proper camera and not a cell phone but I know what he was trying to say. :p

Well I have played around with several Samsung phone cameras and an HTC 10 camera and many iPhone cameras. I've never found one phone with a camera that could definitively trounce all the other phones' cameras in all circumstances. My HTC 10 has taken some photos in some lighting situations my S7 Edge simply could not handle. Yet overall the S7 Edge was the better performer in my general use.

That dude just demonstrated he was very disgruntled at Google.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Check out Mr Mobile's video impression. MKBHD's video demonstrates it well, too. Really any of them, all showing very promising and impressive portrait snaps.

This was the one that differentiated hair:
MrMobile is my favourite reviewer, totally unbias, down to earth, very knowledgable, dry humour and brilliant brilliant voice.
He deserves to do well- 1M+ subscribers etc

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I'll gladly trade dual speakers for a SD slot, headphone jack, S-Pen, and the bevy of Samsung features. If I didn't own a Galaxy, I would've bought a first gen Pixel, Pixel 2, or LG G6.

I agree, I prefer those features over better speakers. I just wish the Note 8 sounded better. I can't see me giving up the Note, but I'd still like to see what I think of the XL2 after hearing good things about last year's models but never getting to try one out.

Reactions: mi7chy and nviz22

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
They did have a trade in program at the Google store. But you might be able to get more for it on swappa.com
We don't have that option in the UK Google Store unfortunately.

I have a private sale lined up anyway once I get my hands on the Pixel 2.

On a side note.. I'm very glad Google don't differentiate between the two models (minus screen and battery) and force people on to the larger device like the "other" company.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Just looking a the Pixel XL launch price to when Pixel 2 was launched.
All prices brand new:

Pixel XL launch price £719
Pixel XL price 12 months later £399

Percentage drop 44.51%

Based on above Pixel 2:

Pixel 2 XL launch price £799

Projected price reduction @ 44.51%

Pixel 2 XL price 12 months later Oct 2018 £443.47

So anyone thinking of being a year behind but still getting the 2 year OS and security updates a Pixel 2 at £443.47 may prove a bargain.

If Pixel 2 wins smartphone of the year the % drop no doubt would be less. Also Pixel "one" was a poor seller by all accounts. So maybe £499 in Oct 2018 will be more realistic.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

On a side note.. I'm very glad Google don't differentiate between the two models (minus screen and battery) and force people on to the larger device like the "other" company.

The speakers on the Note 8 and S8/+ do suck. Can’t deny that. It’s probably one of the things I find most annoying because I do use the speakers often daily since I never like having the any smartphone pressed directly against my head unless I absolutely have to.

Reactions: c0ppo

kidchop3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2017
Just looking a the Pixel XL launch price to when Pixel 2 was launched.
All prices brand new:

Pixel XL launch price £719
Pixel XL price 12 months later £399

Percentage drop 44.51%

Based on above Pixel 2:

Pixel 2 XL launch price £799

Projected price reduction @ 44.51%

Pixel 2 XL price 12 months later Oct 2018 £443.47

So anyone thinking of being a year behind but still getting the 2 year OS and security updates a Pixel 2 at £443.47 may prove a bargain.

If Pixel 2 wins smartphone of the year the % drop no doubt would be less. Also Pixel "one" was a poor seller by all accounts. So maybe £499 in Oct 2018 will be more realistic.

Annoying that only the 32GB is available for £399 at CPWH. They don't sell the 128gb variant otherwise I would snap this up!

Reactions: deany

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

On the subject of audio.

Listening to TWiG, it’s sad how out of touch Leo is on this phone, and recently on other podcasts, tech in general. Was bashing the iPhone for only having a single speaker (um?) and insists the pixel 2 (small one) has an LCD screen (um?). I too am glad they include nearly the same features within both devices. Never liked being ‘punished’ by Apple for wanting another phone. Honestly planned on getting the original pixel early last year had Apple kept ois out of the regular 7. They included it, and I honestly didn’t care about the dual camera system enough to want the 7+ anyway.

I like a lot of podcasts on his network, so it is really frustrating to hear complete lack of information, especially on a device he used for over a year. I guess I will have to get some new Android / google podcasts into my mix, similar to how I had to supplement my Apple podcasts.

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
How long do we think it will take for reviews to start popping up? I mean, I know they need time obviously.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I said in an earlier post that I think the Pixel 2 models outdo the iPhone 8's respective models, even with the absence of wireless charging. From value to more features, the better camera with portrait mode for both models (iPhone 8 flat out doesn't have this feature), to the better software and AI.

The Verge also sums it up pretty well in this article:

Google is tryharding at phones right now, and I love it

I agree with a lot. If you're deciding between the iPhone 8 models and Pixel 2 models, the Pixel 2 is the way to go in either sizes.

Reactions: v0lume4 and deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I said in an earlier post that I think the Pixel 2 models outdo the iPhone 8's respective models, even with the absence of wireless charging. From value to more features, the better camera with portrait mode for both models (iPhone 8 flat out doesn't have this feature), to the better software and AI.

The Verge also sums it up pretty well in this article:

Google is tryharding at phones right now, and I love it

I agree with a lot. If you're deciding between the iPhone 8 models and Pixel 2 models, the Pixel 2 is the way to go in either sizes.

No doubt Pixel 2 has hit a home run for Gold Standard smartphones but I feel owners of X will have something to say.....I guess its 'watch this notch, sorry typo - space!'

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
T-Mobile is giving Pixel 2 and XL2 owners 50% of the phone's price to get people to use theirs on the Magenta network. It's in the format of a gift card too. No BS bill credits.

Nice, I'm on Verizon but have wanted to see if Tmobile has improved. I think I'm going to open a new line with them, but keep my 2 Verizon lines and run with 2 phones for a while to compare reception.
[doublepost=1507312437][/doublepost]
This is my final post, just to say I ordered the Pixel 2 XL, sadly I have a 3 month wait before it is estimated to be delivered. Oh well.

Thanks for the years of discussion & banter, sometimes infuriation, oftentimes laughter, but it is finally time to mosey on and re-invest in life. Take care of yourselves.

Slán Abhaile to all. MRU

Dang, hate to lose a MR fixture, always enjoyed your insightful and knowledgeable posts even when we disagree. I get it though, sometimes I need a nice long extended break from the forums as well. Here's to hoping it's just a break and we get to see you again. Good luck!
[doublepost=1507312654][/doublepost]So I've been eyeing those XL2 side bezels very closely in all the versus videos, I've seen XL2 versus v30 and versus Note 8 youtube videos. I initially was hoping the bezels were just an optical illusion of the way the glass was curved and the frame/shell surrounding the phone. Unfortunately it looks pretty much like it simply has gigantic side bezels!! Anyone else suspect it's because of that idiotic squeeze function? Why else would a company like LG screw up a design like this?

On the top/bottom bezels I'm much happier. Even side by side with a v30 and a Note 8 the Pixel XL's top/bottom bezels are fairly close in how small they made them, and certainly very acceptable in knowing you get stereo speakers.

Reactions: Oohara

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Nice, I'm on Verizon but have wanted to see if Tmobile has improved. I think I'm going to open a new line with them, but keep my 2 Verizon lines and run with 2 phones for a while to compare reception.
[doublepost=1507312437][/doublepost]

Dang, hate to lose a MR fixture, always enjoyed your insightful and knowledgeable posts even when we disagree. I get it though, sometimes I need a nice long extended break from the forums as well. Here's to hoping it's just a break and we get to see you again. Good luck!
[doublepost=1507312654][/doublepost]So I've been eyeing those XL2 side bezels very closely in all the versus videos, I've seen XL2 versus v30 and versus Note 8 youtube videos. I initially was hoping the bezels were just an optical illusion of the way the glass was curved and the frame/shell surrounding the phone. Unfortunately it looks pretty much like it simply has gigantic side bezels!! Anyone else suspect it's because of that idiotic squeeze function? Why else would a company like LG screw up a design like this?

On the top/bottom bezels I'm much happier. Even side by side with a v30 and a Note 8 the Pixel XL's top/bottom bezels are fairly close in how small they made them, and certainly very acceptable in knowing you get stereo speakers.
I’m okay with the side bezels as long as that means the display itself gets to remain flat while the glass flows over the side to curve into the body the way these designers seem to want it these days, despite the practical problems that causes us in finding screen protectors that will fit and adhere properly.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I’m okay with the side bezels as long as that means the display itself gets to remain flat while the glass flows over the side to curve into the body the way these designers seem to want it these days, despite the practical problems that causes us in finding screen protectors that will fit and adhere properly.

Yeah I agree, to me it's still superior to the Note 8 because it doesn't have curved edges. But they are still huge next to the v30, which has a flat screen. Just eyeballing the 2 next to each other the xl2's side bezels are at least twice as thick as the v30's.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah I agree, to me it's still superior to the Note 8 because it doesn't have curved edges. But they are still huge next to the v30, which has a flat screen. Just eyeballing the 2 next to each other the xl2's side bezels are at least twice as thick as the v30's.
Oh please don’t remind of the V30. It’s my technology crush of the year. But I’m really kind of hoping to stop having flings with these devices and settle down for a while. Have a few earbuds and maybe a dongle or two. I just feel that urge to Nest. ;) Three years of commitment to OS upgrades and support beats out good looks and charm. A girl’s gotta be sensible sometime and not let the latest hottie sweep her off her feet! :p

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Really? Side bezels are a thing now? I mean....people complain about curved displays with no side bezels. Then complain about normal side bezels too.........

Reactions: deany and mi7chy

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Oh please don’t remind of the V30. It’s my technology crush of the year. But I’m really kind of hoping to stop having flings with these devices and settle down for a while. Have a few earbuds and maybe a dongle or two. I just feel that urge to Nest. ;) Three years of commitment to OS upgrades and support beats out good looks and charm. A girl’s gotta be sensible sometime and not let the latest hottie sweep her off her feet! :p

Who are you kidding?!?? We are all addicts, let's see I've been new-purchase free for 3 weeks, 2 days, and 4 hours when I bought a Note 8. Prior to that I was new-purchase free since January of last year when I got my 7plus. Oh wait I'm off the wagon, I just got a Xl2 2 days ago, sigh. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.