Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Really? Side bezels are a thing now? I mean....people complain about curved displays with no side bezels. Then complain about normal side bezels too.........

Haha, yeah we really need to find things to complain about. I mean what else is there to do on the forums?!? But you have to admit those side bezels are quite large in 2017 when put up next to the competition. As much of a whiner that I am, I kind of feel justified to complain about this one.
[doublepost=1507314242][/doublepost]
Not only are side bezels a thing...have you heard about side-boob? It’s really a thing now. A couple of things, actually. :eek:

If I could give you 100 likes I would!!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If I could give you 100 likes I would!!

Why thank you 90C14E6A-BDDD-421F-A649-152BB7B87864.jpeg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not only are side bezels a thing...have you heard about side-boob? It’s really a thing now. A couple of things, actually. :eek:
now...that IS a thing....just sayin.....
[doublepost=1507314479][/doublepost]
Haha, yeah we really need to find things to complain about. I mean what else is there to do on the forums?!? But you have to admit those side bezels are quite large in 2017 when put up next to the competition. As much of a whiner that I am, I kind of feel justified to complain about this one.

pixel.PNG

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Am I right in thinking the free unlimited storage with the Pixels is with Google photos at a high quality, but you still have to pay beyond 15gb if you want to save the full uncompressed file?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Am I right in thinking the free unlimited storage with the Pixels is with Google photos at a high quality, but you still have to pay beyond 15gb if you want to save the full uncompressed file?
Footnote from the official Pixel 2 site (https://store.google.com/product/pixel_2):
²Free, unlimited original-quality storage for photos and videos taken with Pixel through the end of 2020, and free, unlimited high-quality storage for photos taken with Pixel afterwards.

What you are referring to is the "unlimited" storage offered to everyone through Google Photos. Everyone and their mother, right now, can download Google Photos and store unlimited photos -- at "high" quality (NOT original quality). iPhone users, Android users, doesn't matter.

However, I believe that Pixel owners do get real, honest unlimited storage. If I read the footnote correctly, photos taken and stored before 2020 are at full quality forever. Photos taken and stored after 2020 start to eat into your Drive space (the 15GB that you originally mentioned).

Reactions: michael9891

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I agree, I prefer those features over better speakers. I just wish the Note 8 sounded better. I can't see me giving up the Note, but I'd still like to see what I think of the XL2 after hearing good things about last year's models but never getting to try one out.

Do what I'm going to do. Carry the Note in one front pocket and the Pixel 2 XL in the other front pocket.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Official Pixel 2 ad. See if you spot the dig.

Now, that's a great ad. Love it.
[doublepost=1507316518][/doublepost]
However, I believe that Pixel owners do get real, honest unlimited storage. If I read the footnote correctly, photos taken and stored before 2020 are at full quality forever. Photos taken and stored after 2020 start to eat into your Drive space (the 15GB that you originally mentioned).
Correct

Reactions: deany and 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Footnote from the official Pixel 2 site (https://store.google.com/product/pixel_2):

What you are referring to is the "unlimited" storage offered to everyone through Google Photos. Everyone and their mother, right now, can download Google Photos and store unlimited photos -- at "high" quality (NOT original quality). iPhone users, Android users, doesn't matter.

the 2020 stipulation this go around is kind of surprising. I wonder if they expect a lot of people to buy this phone so they want to start charging them for cloud storage in a few years.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Do what I'm going to do. Carry the Note in one front pocket and the Pixel 2 XL in the other front pocket.

Where will you put the iPhone though?? I suppose you still have back pockets, so that's 2 more phones or a small tablet.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just wild speculation, but anyone feel the playful colors and mixed power button colors are a pre-cursor to Google offering color customization in the Pixel's future? Like the first Moto X?
I was pondering that myself.....Thye might be headed in that direction next year when they have the old HTC team under their direction for a whole year.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Pixel 3 should be more, if not all glass for wireless charging.

Wonder how much we could customize with such a design... And how will Google continue its signature two-tone look?

#pixel3gossip

Reactions: v0lume4 and jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
@v0lume4 Thanks for that. Can't wait to finally try out a Pixel. Shame I have to wait until mid November!
Me and you both, pal. Panda XL, 64GB, mid November :D
[doublepost=1507320666][/doublepost]
The Pixel 3 should be more, if not all glass for wireless charging.

Wonder how much we could customize with such a design... And how will Google continue its signature two-tone look?

#pixel3gossip
I'm afraid I'm going to see the Pixel 3 design next year, look down at my Pixel 2 XL and think, "Aww man!"

Gonna try and make this Pixel 2 last 2 years, maybe three. I'll just block all Google Pixel news for the next few years to avoid FOMO.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'm kinda thinking I'll get on board with Google's products ala the Pixel buds (to replace my Airpods), the Home (to replace what would have been a HomePod purchase) and a Chromecast Ultra (to replace my Apple TV).

I quite like where Google is headed in terms of product design, and to contrast, completely discouraged on where Apple is headed.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm kinda thinking I'll get on board with Google's products ala the Pixel buds (to replace my Airpods), the Home (to replace what would have been a HomePod purchase) and a Chromecast Ultra (to replace my Apple TV).

I quite like where Google is headed in terms of product design, and to contrast, completely discouraged on where Apple is headed.

You should read this article:

Great article from the Verge. I agree with a lot.

Google is tryharding at phones right now, and I love it

Google looks like a bunch of tryhards right now, and it's great...

According to Apple, people like me who enjoy small phone form factors don't deserve the best cameras the company has to offer. Google begs to differ, and managed to put its version of Apple’s Portrait Mode in both the Pixel 2 XL and the regular-human-sized Pixel 2, using the exact same sensors in both phones. Thanks, Google!

I like that Google moved the search bar down to the bottom of the phone where it’s easier to reach with my thumb. I like that Google is going with OLED on phones that aren't $999. I like that Google is doing a low-key Shazam on the phone 24/7, and can show me information when the screen is "off." I like that the Pixel 2 does quick charging with the charger that comes in the box...

It's like Google really gets me right now, in a way Apple just doesn't.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I was very enthusiastic about where Apple is headed but I am trying to figure out which path offers the best vision AND execution. I’m a bit concerned about some things I don’t need to get into here.

But none of that is the reason I dropped plans to get the X and went for the Panda instead. I really felt it’s not time to give up my 7 Plus yet. I’m really happy with it. I’m still impressed by it and all that needs to happen now is for more to happen on the software side of things.

Reactions: jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Science behind Pixel 2 camera.

Short Pixel 2 Test footage.
What great videos! Holy moly -- I learned so much from the first video. Thank you for sharing.

Super cool gal. Subscribed for future nerdy camera goodness.

Some of the photos taken on the second video were DARN impressive, in particular the shot of the guy standing near his fishing rod at 1:23.

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.