Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Oh boy don’t I feel stupid. I just checked and the auto brightness is all the way up, despite the fact I’m in my very dark living room. I thought we could turn auto brightness off but when I went into my display settings I couldn’t see any way to do so. What happened to that option?
Settings > General > accessibility > display accommodations

Reactions: noobinator

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Oh boy don’t I feel stupid. I just checked and the auto brightness is all the way up, despite the fact I’m in my very dark living room. I thought we could turn auto brightness off but when I went into my display settings I couldn’t see any way to do so. What happened to that option?

It’s in accessibility now I believe.

Reactions: 5105973

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
It's located in accessibility settings under display accommodations. It's beyond my understanding why Apple moved it there.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
We pulled the trigger yesterday. Ordered two of the black and white XL from Verizon, who says they will be delivered by the first of November. We’ll see!

Not too excited about switching from T-Mobile, but we’ll probably get better coverage in parts of the city.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks y’all, :eek: why on earth would Apple move it to there? That makes no sense, none at all. It isn’t a feature for special needs which is what I thought accessibility is supposed to imply. It’s a display setting. It should be there. I don’t get this sheer stupidity. Why move it? Whatever happened to if it ain’t broke—don’t fix it.

I never run auto brightness, not intentionally anyway. I didn’t realize my iOS devices were doing this. I guess one of the updates overrode my original override of auto brightness. Well don’t I feel stupid for failing to notice this.

Thanks so much. Now maybe I can go back to better battery life.

I admit my faith in Apple is shaken by such a little thing. The seeming lack of deep thought about impacts to the end user on decisions like the notch, refusal to offer any Touch ID option on X, and moving user settings for no apparent reason into an illogical category choice worries me. I am also struggling to adjust to the changes to my virtual keyboard since installing the new iOS to my iPad mini.

I think before I decide to spend any more money on something like HomePod I’d better put more thought into evaluating iOS vs Google/Android when my Pixel gets here.
[doublepost=1507389479][/doublepost]
What case is everyone getting? I ordered the Google fabric case in the loud and funky midnight color to go with my Panda 2 XL. Expensive but Google cases have always served me well.

https://store.google.com/config/pixel_2_case_fabric
I was thinking of that one but also playing around with making my own live case with a photo. I might also draw something on my iPad Pro. I used to be a decent artist but I’m very rusty. I might try to do something to match the color scheme of the Panda Pixel.

Reactions: deany and pat500000

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I think before I decide to spend any more money on something like HomePod I’d better put more thought into evaluating iOS vs Google/Android when my Pixel gets here.
This is exactly what I’m doing, as a longtime Apple customer, and I couldn’t be more ecstatic about it.

I’ve started transitioning to apps on my iPhone that do what I need them to do and are available for both platforms, rather than being locked in Apple’s apps. To help me adjust.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks y’all, :eek: why on earth would Apple move it to there? That makes no sense, none at all. It isn’t a feature for special needs which is what I thought accessibility is supposed to imply. It’s a display setting. It should be there. I don’t get this sheer stupidity. Why move it? Whatever happened to if it ain’t broke—don’t fix it.

I never run auto brightness, not intentionally anyway. I didn’t realize my iOS devices were doing this. I guess one of the updates overrode my original override of auto brightness. Well don’t I feel stupid for failing to notice this.

I admit my faith in Apple is shaken by such a little thing. The seeming lack of deep thought about impacts to the end user on decisions like the notch, refusal to offer any Touch ID option on X, and moving user settings for no apparent reason into an illogical category choice worries me. I am also struggling to adjust to the changes to my virtual keyboard since installing the new iOS to my iPad mini.

I was thinking of that one but also playing around with making my own live case with a photo. I might also draw something on my iPad Pro. I used to be a decent artist but I’m very rusty. I might try to do something to match the color scheme of the Panda Pixel.
Then there is also the change made to control centre where disabling wifi or Bluetooth doesn't actually disable it. Coupled with the lack of optimisation I really dislike iOS 11 as a whole.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

I hear you. My apple-ness have been bitten off too many time. I'll still use my mac pro and ipad, but I'm willing to try other options.

Reactions: deany and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Then there is also the change made to control centre where disabling wifi or Bluetooth doesn't actually disable it. Coupled with the lack of optimisation I really dislike iOS 11 as a whole.
On control center, the changes work out okay for my iPhone. But on my iPad, changing the brightness takes me out of what I am looking at on screen. I hate that.

At first I liked iOS 11 but the more I use it, the more annoyed I become by little things I’m discovering. It should not work that way.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
On control center, the changes work out okay for my iPhone. But on my iPad, changing the brightness takes me out of what I am looking at on screen. I hate that.

At first I liked iOS 11 but the more I use it, the more annoyed I become by little things I’m discovering. It should not work that way.
I just wish IOS 11 would stop turning my Bluetooth on. It has become quite annoying now. I use my BT headphones and turn off BT. An hour later BT is back on again. I find no rhyme or reason to it.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
What case is everyone getting? I ordered the Google fabric case in the loud and funky midnight color to go with my Panda 2 XL. Expensive but Google cases have always served me well.

https://store.google.com/config/pixel_2_case_fabric
I love that case, but I want to get the phone first to see how it feels in hand and whether or not I really want a case. I don't use cases with my phones.

vahdyx

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Thornton
I get both the Pixel and new iPhone when I can. This year I’m fortunate to get the Pixel at launch and if all goes well I’d get the new iPhone X as well.

However this year if Apple just stuck with the 8/Plus I would have skipped it.

That said the iPhone X almost made me not interested in the Pixel 2 XL.

The design of the X is so great in my opinion. I don’t dislike the Pixel 2 XL but when compared its great and compared to the 8/Plus the Pixel 2 XL kicks it’s ass IMO.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I get both the Pixel and new iPhone when I can. This year I’m fortunate to get the Pixel at launch and if all goes well I’d get the new iPhone X as well.

The design of the X is so great in my opinion. I don’t dislike the Pixel 2 XL but when compared its great and compared to the 8/Plus the Pixel 2 XL kicks it’s ass IMO.
The iPhone X has a much smaller display than the XL due to the notch.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I liked the iPhone X a lot. I’ll look forward to reading everyone’s impressions and reviews of it. I would be interested in seeing how well it gets by on 3gb of RAM and how Face ID impacts the battery life in the real world. I know I had to turn off raise-to-wake because of the display constantly turning on in my purse and running the battery down a bit faster.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA

My girlfriend is looking at that same midnight case with the orange button to match our B/Ws.

I’m not sure what case I’ll get yet. I might go with the clear one that will be on sale soon.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The stock wallpaper of the XL 2 showed waves lapping the shore. Are there more dynamic/moving wallpapers like these or are we limited to Google's selection?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
The stock wallpaper of the XL 2 showed waves lapping the shore. Are there more dynamic/moving wallpapers like these or are we limited to Google's selection?

From memory the key note said there were a fair few 20+ comes to mind with moon / space shoots, all very cool.

Reactions: Cryates

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Feeling super ignorant here but can we do themes on Pixels like change the look of the buttons or is that a Sense UI and Touchwiz thing only?

Also, if I want to make Samsung Browser my default browser instead of Chrome, is that possible?

Reactions: deany

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Feeling super ignorant here but can we do themes on Pixels like change the look of the buttons or is that a Sense UI and Touchwiz thing only?

Also, if I want to make Samsung Browser my default browser instead of Chrome, is that possible?

Changing the defaults apps like the browser from Chrome to Samsung Browser, yes 100% easily no problem.

As far as themes, there's a great community of themes for the Nexus devices, just a million great ones out there, but I am always rooted and ROM'd on my phones, so I have no idea what's available for stock non rooted phones ?

You need Substratum theme engine installed;
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.substratum&hl=en

Here's a list of themes available for the Nexus / Pixel phones, but again, not 100% sure if these require root only?
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=substratum themes&c=apps&hl=en

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Changing the defaults apps like the browser from Chrome to Samsung Browser, yes 100% easily no problem.

As far as themes, there's a great community of themes for the Nexus devices, just a million great ones out there, but I am always rooted and ROM'd on my phones, so I have no idea what's available for stock non rooted phones ?

You need Substratum theme engine installed;
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.substratum&hl=en

Here's a list of themes available for the Nexus / Pixel phones, but again, not 100% sure if these require root only?
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=substratum themes&c=apps&hl=en
Thanks, Tig. I’m not going to root right away but at some point that is one of the things I’ll be experimenting with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.