Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The camera is really the thing that makes the Pixel 2 stand out. It's so strong you can almost forgive some of the other weaknesses. Couple that with the unlimited Photos backup and you have a winning combo.

I did not expect them to have a camera that leapfrogs the competition. I just thought they'd match them.

Sigh... If only they had included wireless charging and a little better front design on the regular Pixel 2. Again, not even asking for edge to edge -- I understand there just isn't enough of those types of OLED panels to go around in the world. I get it. But did the Pixel 2 need that big of bezels to hold dual speakers? Obviously they achieved it in the Pixel 2 XL.

Reactions: deany

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Incredible stabilization. Seems better than a gimbal.

Pixel 2 XL battery is supposedly larger than S8+ and combined with pure Android anyone think battery life is going to exceed the S8+? Only wildcard is if the POLED display is as efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I am curious to see what Google does with photography in the coming years with all their machine learning/computational photography

Reactions: epicrayban

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Incredible stabilization. Seems better than a gimbal.

Pixel 2 XL battery is supposedly larger than S8+ and combined with pure Android anyone think battery life is going to exceed the S8+? Only wildcard is if the POLED display is as efficient.

S8+ = 3,500mAh battery
2 XL = 3,520mAh battery

Both phones have the SD835, both have 4GB RAM, both have 1440p displays, both have OLED screens.

I would guess battery life should be pretty similar, which is great as the S8+ has great battery life

Reactions: 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Using the link below to compare size, looks like the 2 XL display is the same width as they 7 Plus and taller, thus more real estate.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...el-2-XL,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/10568,9816
Using the link below to compare size, looks like the 2 XL display is the same width as they 7 Plus and taller, thus more real estate.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...el-2-XL,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/10568,9816

Wow the XL2 is almost exactly the same size as the 7/8 plus, but of course with the larger screen. What amazes me is how small the iPhone X is compared to both of them. https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...7-Plus,Apple-iPhone-X/phones/10568,9816,10414

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Wow the XL2 is almost exactly the same size as the 7/8 plus, but of course with the larger screen. What amazes me is how small the iPhone X is compared to both of them. https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...7-Plus,Apple-iPhone-X/phones/10568,9816,10414

Because there's no X Plus this year. But next year there will be. So the current X with the 5.8" screen will become the smaller phone, and then the X Plus next year is said to have a 6.4" screen, but be no larger overall then the current iPhone 8 Plus size.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Because there's no X Plus this year. But next year there will be. So the current X with the 5.8" screen will become the smaller phone, and then the X Plus next year is said to have a 6.4" screen, but be no larger overall then the current iPhone 8 Plus size.

And don't forget the supposedly 6"+ LCD iPhone rumored for next year. I believe this will be a "back up" option due to low yields of OLED panels. Apple is expected to have a hard time into the first half of 2018. If they introduce a second and even larger Plus model, supplies could continue to be a challenge. Enter the LCD iPhone.

Apple is expected to go full OLED across entire lineup by 2019.

I'm glad both Pixel 2's have OLED panels and have always on display. With Google's camera, too, on that OLED panel? Oh boy.

[doublepost=1507433079][/doublepost]

Basically, both Pixels are better options than both iPhone 8's.

Both Pixels offer OLED panels that beat the iPhone's LCD panels, and in the case of the XL, also beats it by the more bezel-less design.

And both Pixel cameras best the iPhone 8's, especially when comparing the two regular size models.

Thank goodness Apple has the iPhone X this year. Can you imagine? What would iPhone 8 reviews sound like if the X didn't exist yet?

Last edited:

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Personally the raw Google experience trumps the majority of additions by other companies, along with consistent updates. I loathe stuttering and freezing and force closes. As this camera trumps my 6p, it warrants an upgrade. I do not care about edge to edge to the slimmest millimeter as I do not want random triggers. The unit is fine, and has great speakers again, which also is a must for me.

Usually I end up running a custom rom as well, and lately only the Nexus and Pixel line can provide the most solid experience.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Reactions: Oohara

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I’m telling ya guys and gals, the more and more I read about the upcoming iPhone X and iOS 11 (notch, supply issues, os bugs, etc) the more and more I feel like Apple is losing its way, and possibly has been for awhile now. Is it fair of me to say I’m not sure if they are having fun anymore? Even when I watch the past several keynotes, it just doesn’t feel like they have genuine excitement like they did in the Jobs era. Maybe it’s a superiority complex, or just that they love using uninspired adjectives.

To contrast, I really feel like Google is starting to find its way on the hardware side. We all know Apple can’t stay on top forever, it’s just not how these things work. I’m fine with Google being the scrappy underdog right now in this market, but with some strong dedication to delivering great hardware (hiring 2,000 HTC engineers is a good start!), combined with their already great software initiatives, I could see Google overtaking Apple years down the road. Now, they will probably need some help in the form of one or two big failures on Apple’s part, but we’ll see.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Pictures from this phone look really great.
Wish there was a way I could afford the Pixel, but doesn't look possible at the moment.
I also think that the design of the XL is holding me back a bit, as it really isn't the best I think they could have done.

I do like the smaller one though, just wish the screen was bigger in it!

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m telling ya guys and gals, the more and more I read about the upcoming iPhone X and iOS 11 (notch, supply issues, os bugs, etc) the more and more I feel like Apple is losing its way, and possibly has been for awhile now. Is it fair of me to say I’m not sure if they are having fun anymore? Even when I watch the past several keynotes, it just doesn’t feel like they have genuine excitement like they did in the Jobs era. Maybe it’s a superiority complex, or just that they love using uninspired adjectives.

To contrast, I really feel like Google is starting to find its way on the hardware side. We all know Apple can’t stay on top forever, it’s just not how these things work. I’m fine with Google being the scrappy underdog right now in this market, but with some strong dedication to delivering great hardware (hiring 2,000 HTC engineers is a good start!), combined with their already great software initiatives, I could see Google overtaking Apple years down the road. Now, they will probably need some help in the form of one or two big failures on Apple’s part, but we’ll see.
I’m going to be very reserved on my comments about Apple because the X could be a knockout winner despite being first generation host to several new hardware and software features. It could end up amazing and delighting customers. There’s no way of knowing until it’s out. I was shocked when my Apple Watch caught me out in two bad moments (I had a really rough last few days) and alerted me to the fact my heart was beating abnormally. I could feel one of the instances.

Years ago I wore a pretty standard sophisticated monitor for a week and it failed to record my cardiac events when I felt them, but this Apple can. And that surprises and impresses me.

If I could have had this watch and this feature over 20 years ago I could have been spared so much difficulty and humiliation going through the process of getting arrogant uncaring doctors to diagnose my heart defect properly and in a timely manner. In actual fact it took almost two years of suffering to get a common defect diagnosed because I was poor, in my 20’s and a woman, and in the 1990’s (and even today) those factors were enough to get doctors to pat you on the head and send you away with a prescription for tranquilizers and antidepressants because you’re just a typical hysterical girl, so of course your symptoms must all be in your head. Now I’m 51, decently affluent, and those shmucks actually call and email me pestering me to make appointments. I cannot possibly roll my eyes any harder right now, lest they stick that way permanently.

I’m going to fence sit awhile longer. A lot longer. It is too early to call this race. I think Apple actually is waking up from its stupor of the past few years since Steve died and we could see some truly magical things from them, yet. I hope so. And I hope Google keeps right on their tail, as well as others. But one thing Apple desperately needs is a dose of humility, imo.

Reactions: deany and v0lume4

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
XL 2 compared to the V30

21fdca4636405cae3137c836a925a12a.jpg

Reactions: Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.