Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks for the reply.
Um, reminds me of the old backlite bleeding on iPad one.
I won't cancel my order, I'll wait as some XL MR purchases are getting theirs in a few weeks.

I imagine the "banding" may effect watching a film in the dark.
Yup I will be waiting for some of the MR feedback over here as well ;)

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It's just too noticeable in the dark.

Low brightness

9I99wkK_d.jpg

Same spot on Note 8

sTT42V7_d.jpg

Only way to solve it is to put brightness on Max

s8j8iPf_d.jpg

Same on Note 8 Max brightness

N1q0NRy_d.jpg

7.jpg
That really is quite bad. And the text looks so much clearer on the Note.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Just a heads up for those who preordered the Pixel 2 XL. Android Police observed the same banding effect flaw which was present on the V30 to be on the Pixel 2 XL as well. It's,probably the same screen and there are issues with it in low light and it's almost unusable in darkness.

That's why it can be risky to be an early adopter. I never buy a phone before it's actually out in the wild with tons of reviews. This screen issue will be a disaster for the Pixel 2 XL launch. Hopefully it get's fixed in manufacturing down the road. Maybe this is just a very limited issue on early preproduction units. But LG is known for issues on their phones.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

That's why it can be risky to be an early adopter. I never buy a phone before it's actually out in the wild with tons of reviews. This screen issue will be a disaster for the Pixel 2 XL launch. Hopefully it get's fixed in manufacturing down the road.
I was concerned the moment I knew LG was involved with the phone. This is their first OLED and they are famous for boot loop issues. It’s going to be a problem for this phone.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I was concerned the moment I knew LG was involved with the phone. This is their first OLED and they are famous for boot loop issues. It’s going to be a problem for this phone.
Have you got the link to the users on android police experiencing issues.
As you say it may be a case of giving the Pixel 2 XL a reluctant pass.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Have you got the link to the users on android police experiencing issues.
As you say it may be a case of giving the Pixel 2 XL a reluctant pass.
Just search for V30 oled banding issues on google. You will find a lot of threads on this everywhere. It’s 99% the same screen on the Pixel.

This huge thread on the Pixel subreddit has many users skipping this phone because of the screen. You will find some info there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...e_else_weary_of_the_pixel_2_xl_because_of_lg/

Reactions: deany

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Looks like Samsung still provides the best screens. Hardware matters. Especially when you're looking at a screen anytime you use your phone.

Hopefully the regular Pixel 2 model doesn't have any screen issues since they're HTC?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I’ll withhold judgement until the phone is released. This is mostly hearsay at this point and no need to panic yet. I’ll keep my panda pre order and if those who get units next week have significant issues I’ll still have time to cancel.
I bet it won't be a dealbreaker for most people. I've owned various tablets and phones that have been accused of "serious" light bleed and display inconsistencies and on none of them has it bothered me. In situations where you go super low light you tend to not care that much about the image quality anyway.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ah, if the display is that bad on mine, I’ll just send it back and get the little Pixel 2 made by HTC. Bezels don’t faze me. Not after realizing pushing to get rid of them can cause notches. The only concern I have is the small battery, but fast charging helps.

I’ll get the black or white small Pixel and use D Brand skins to make my own Panda.
[doublepost=1507553915][/doublepost]
Looks like Samsung still provides the best screens. Hardware matters. Especially when you're looking at a screen anytime you use your phone.

Hopefully the regular Pixel 2 model doesn't have any screen issues since they're HTC?
We’ve had more than our fair share of bad displays from Samsung since we started with them last year. The 2 flat displays on the S7’s were flawless but the curved edge ones have had really off tints and one was very dim and murky. I have to live permanently with adaptive mode to avoid a magenta display on my S8+. My husband has seen the same magenta stain on Note 8’s which is one reason I decided not to take advantage of special offers I got as a Note 7 owner.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’ll withhold judgement until the phone is released. This is mostly hearsay at this point and no need to panic yet. I’ll keep my panda pre order and if those who get units next week have significant issues I’ll still have time to cancel.
Same here...there are some that want to be the first to report a problem that may or may not exist and rile everyone else up....
[doublepost=1507557023][/doublepost]
Just search for V30 oled banding issues on google. You will find a lot of threads on this everywhere. It’s 99% the same screen on the Pixel.

This huge thread on the Pixel subreddit has many users skipping this phone because of the screen. You will find some info there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...e_else_weary_of_the_pixel_2_xl_because_of_lg/

That link is for boot looping issues on some LG phones. It has nothing to do with the displays. Saying that the Pixel 2 XL will have the same issues as any other LG phone is like saying the V30 has the same camera as the Pixel 2. You can't just lump them all together. I have had G6 and V20 that had excellent displays and never boot looped.
You don't know it is 99% the same screen.....Google has a to say about the manufacturing and specs involved in making he Pixel 2.

So should we then ASSUME the iphone X has the same display quality as the Note 8? Since Samsung made the displays for Apple on the iphone X? Weren't you the same person that argued against those kind of assumptions in other threads here on MR?

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Same here...there are some that want to be the first to report a problem that may or may not exist and rile everyone else up....
[doublepost=1507557023][/doublepost]

That link is for boot looping issues on some LG phones. It has nothing to do with the displays. Saying that the Pixel 2 XL will have the same issues as any other LG phone is like saying the V30 has the same camera as the Pixel 2. You can't just lump them all together. I have had G6 and V20 that had excellent displays and never boot looped.
You don't know it is 99% the same screen.....Google has a to say about the manufacturing and specs involved in making he Pixel 2.

So should we then ASSUME the iphone X has the same display quality as the Note 8? Since Samsung made the displays for Apple on the iphone X? Weren't you the same person that argued against those kind of assumptions in other threads here on MR?

Just got a little concerned that AP found the same flaw which was there on the V30 so assumed it’s the same panel. I may be wrong on this.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Not 2x optical zoom it can't. It's the portrait/bokeh effect the Pixel does with software instead of a second csmera. No need to say something is a scam because another company does things differently.

True, but doesn't mean they do it better either. Hint. EIS vs OIS. They tried it, it wasn't that good, so this year they use OIS.

Reactions: deany

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just got a little concerned that AP found the same flaw which was there on the V30 so assumed it’s the same panel. I may be wrong on this.

I recall watching their early hands on and they commented that they noticed the same banding issue on the display. I honestly couldnt discern what they were taking about and had no idea of the issue beforehand. If they hadn’t made any comment about it I wouldn’t personally have noticed anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oohara and deany

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I know the X is spec'd at a 5.8" screen but its actually 5.5" screen because the ears don't count as useable screen real estate unless you're willing to cut out an entire section of the content.

I disagree partially because the status bar is incorporated into the areas around the notch, thereby saving that space. But I do think it's not a true 5.8" screen because 1) the narrower aspect ratio, which is more narrow than even the Note 8 and 2) Apples developer guidelines have very large margins and gutters which limit actual content on the screen quite a bit. So yeah 5.5" or maybe even smaller of actually usable space sounds about right.

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
True, but doesn't mean they do it better either. Hint. EIS vs OIS. They tried it, it wasn't that good, so this year they use OIS.

That doesn't really make sense. The guy I quoted just made a flippant comment that the iPhone having a second camera is a scam, as the Pixel has no need for it. I was pointing out the main reason for a second camera is the 2x optical zoom.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
XL 2 compared to the V30

21fdca4636405cae3137c836a925a12a.jpg

Wow the v30 looks markedly smaller than the XL2, this is especially apparent in the view where we side both back sides. The v30 back looks a bit cheapie though, kind of like 2011 silver plastic. It's such a shame we couldn't get a developer edition of the v30 with vanilla android. I really wanted a smaller phone than my 7+, which the v30 would have been. With the XL2 I will get a larger screen, but will still have the same size phone in my pocket.

Reactions: Fernandez21

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
That doesn't really make sense. The guy I quoted just made a flippant comment that the iPhone having a second camera is a scam, as the Pixel has no need for it. I was pointing out the main reason for a second camera is the 2x optical zoom.

There are other uses for the second camera. Live View is one I believe.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I disagree partially because the status bar is incorporated into the areas around the notch, thereby saving that space. But I do think it's not a true 5.8" screen because 1) the narrower aspect ratio, which is more narrow than even the Note 8 and 2) Apples developer guidelines have very large margins and gutters which limit actual content on the screen quite a bit. So yeah 5.5" or maybe even smaller of actually usable space sounds about right.
The usable screen area is actually lesser than even the S8!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.