Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Just went to Verizon hoping they’d have it on display but no such luck.
The actual release date is October 17 October 19, I think? I might try back then.

(Can't manage to find the exact release date oddly enough)

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Personally I do not want any trash headphones that cost $.10-$10 to make. Apples headphones are subpar IMO...however as an Audiophile my budget is spent differently than the Beats by Dre crowd.

Then they should put in good ones, like HTC does.
[doublepost=1507520881][/doublepost]
I agree with you. I don't need another pair of throwaway headphones.

Good for you, I guess. But some people just use whatever’s in the box. And by some people, I mean most people.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Just a heads up for those who preordered the Pixel 2 XL. Android Police observed the same banding effect flaw which was present on the V30 to be on the Pixel 2 XL as well. It's,probably the same screen and there are issues with it in low light and it's almost unusable in darkness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Just a heads up for those who preordered the Pixel 2 XL. Android Police observed the same banding effect flaw which was present on the V30 to be on the Pixel 2 XL as well. It's,probably the same screen and there are issues with it in low light and it's almost unusable in darkness.

Disapponting but appreciate you letting us know.

Reactions: 5105973

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Surely it can't be that bad or why release a phone almost unusable in the dark?

It's just too noticeable in the dark.

Low brightness

9I99wkK_d.jpg

Same spot on Note 8

sTT42V7_d.jpg

Only way to solve it is to put brightness on Max

s8j8iPf_d.jpg

Same on Note 8 Max brightness

N1q0NRy_d.jpg

7.jpg

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
It's just too noticeable in the dark.

Low brightness

9I99wkK_d.jpg

Same spot on Note 8

sTT42V7_d.jpg

Only way to solve it is to put brightness on Max

s8j8iPf_d.jpg

Same on Note 8 Max brightness

N1q0NRy_d.jpg

7.jpg

Thats dreadful, is it likely a one off, or not fixed from V30

I'm not familiar with V30 at all.

Edit
I see, no Pixel 2 photo there.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I don't think the Pixel came with earphones either. At premium prices, they really should include them.

Personally I do not want any trash headphones that cost $.10-$10 to make. Apples headphones are subpar IMO...however as an Audiophile my budget is spent differently than the Beats by Dre crowd.
I find the cheapo earbuds very useful precisely because I can use them in situations where I don't want to risk/wear on my good headphones. Like, chuck them in the pocket full of keys and what not and use for phone calls when out and about. I like to have a pair of earbuds that I don't have to take care about. Then I bring out the real headphones for listening to music.

I definitely think it's poor form to not include any kind of ear buds. It's like, I dunno...getting a basket of bread on the table when you're eating at a restaurant. It's just a nice courtesy, well deserved when you've just paid a thousand bucks for a damn phone.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Thats dreadful, is it likely a one off, or not fixed from V30

I'm not familiar with V30 at all.

Edit
I see, no Pixel 2 photo there.
Simply can't be a one-off as it was there on the preproduction v30 and AndroidPolice observed he same effect on Pixel 2 XL. There was a reddit thread yesterday which showed terrible light bleed like effect. The Pixel 2 XL is made by LG and uses the same P-OLED while the Pixel 2 is made by HTC and uses AMOLED and doesn't have this issue.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/

This what AP said on Pixel 2 XL

The LG-made OLED display looked nice to my eyes, and includes a circular polarizer so you can actually use it while wearing sunglasses (according to Google). Much has been said of the mottling or banding effect on the screen of LG's new V30, and the Pixel XL presumably uses a similar, if not identical, panel. The demo area lighting made it hard to get a good look at the screen in low light, but I was able to see some of the banding I've observed on my pre-production V30 devices. That said, this banding is basically invisible at normal brightness levels, and I don't anticipate it will be an issue for most people.

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Simply can't be a one-off as it was there on the preproduction v30 and AndroidPolice observed he same effect on Pixel 2 XL. There was a reddit thread yesterday which showed terrible light bleed like effect. The Pixel 2 XL is made by LG and uses the same P-OLED while the Pixel 2 is made by HTC and uses AMOLED and doesn't have this issue.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/

This what AP said on Pixel 2 XL

The LG-made OLED display looked nice to my eyes, and includes a circular polarizer so you can actually use it while wearing sunglasses (according to Google). Much has been said of the mottling or banding effect on the screen of LG's new V30, and the Pixel XL presumably uses a similar, if not identical, panel. The demo area lighting made it hard to get a good look at the screen in low light, but I was able to see some of the banding I've observed on my pre-production V30 devices. That said, this banding is basically invisible at normal brightness levels, and I don't anticipate it will be an issue for most people.

Thanks for the reply.
Um, reminds me of the old backlite bleeding on iPad one.
I won't cancel my order, I'll wait as some XL MR purchases are getting theirs in a few weeks, read their reviews.

Surprised they passed QC.

I imagine the "banding" may effect watching a film in the dark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.