Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Science behind Pixel 2 camera.

Short Pixel 2 Test footage.

Great videos! thanks for posting. Makes me feel reasured my pre ordered Pixel 2 XL is the right decision.
What a great advert for Google to have that young lady as part of the Team. Google are taking this very seriously now, its good, very good.

Reactions: v0lume4

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Continue to be further impressed. I’m absolutely ecstatic to watch Google continue to push smartphone camera tech forward.

Reactions: deany

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
The Pixel 3 should be more, if not all glass for wireless charging.

Wonder how much we could customize with such a design... And how will Google continue its signature two-tone look?

#pixel3gossip

Disagree.

Google won't use glass. They will use a composite or ceramic or such. Glass is form/function and (hp socket aside) I think Google are designing against.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I will be going caseless, As I always do with phones. It’s why I was so adamant about getting the protection plan with it.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Anyone going caseless?

I can't decide if I should order a Spigen Thin Fit or just go for a dbrand skin.
Thinking about grabbing one of these:
https://store.google.com/product/power_support_pixel_2_case

That's what I currently use on my Nexus 6P. I also have a DBrand skin on my Nexus 6P.

I lived the naked life for four years with my iPhone 5. That phone was a tank. While I seldom drop my devices (never have cracked a phone screen!), I'm a bit more cautious than I used to be. A clear silicon case adds minimal bulk, still allows me to see the device, and adds shock protection from drops, so it's a "might as well" type thing for me. Will also DBrand the device eventually, too. Those white, faux-carbon-fiber skins for the backside are sick.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So the chargers included in the box do charge the promised 7 hours of use in 15 minutes. Great.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/06/pixel-2-2-xl-can-charged-27w-compliant-usb-c-pd-charger/

: cough Apple cough :

[doublepost=1507344662][/doublepost]
Disagree.

Google won't use glass. They will use a composite or ceramic or such. Glass is form/function and (hp socket aside) I think Google are designing against.

You think they'll forego wireless charging for another year?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
So the chargers included in the box do charge the promised 7 hours of use in 15 minutes. Great.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/06/pixel-2-2-xl-can-charged-27w-compliant-usb-c-pd-charger/

: cough Apple cough :

[doublepost=1507344662][/doublepost]

You think they'll forego wireless charging for another year?
Is there any conclusive evidence that fast charging impacts battery health more quickly than standard, slower charging?

My current phone supports fast charging, and while battery life has never been great, it's certainly worse now than it was six months ago when I got it (phone is two years old).

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The speakers on the Note 8 and S8/+ do suck. Can’t deny that. It’s probably one of the things I find most annoying because I do use the speakers often daily since I never like having the any smartphone pressed directly against my head unless I absolutely have to.
Curious on your thoughts on this. Since this has a 6 inch screen, is the screen real estate the same as my 7 Plus or its smaller again.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Is there any conclusive evidence that fast charging impacts battery health more quickly than standard, slower charging?

My current phone supports fast charging, and while battery life has never been great, it's certainly worse now than it was six months ago when I got it (phone is two years old).

Not sure what the verdict is, but doesn't appear to be a known or major issue as far as I've read.

Fast charge away.

For what it's worth, Samsung probably is in the lead of preventing battery degradation. The S8 promises to retain 95% of it's battery effectiveness over a year and the Note 8 does it over two years. Samsung didn't just bounce back from the battery debacle, they went ahead and just straight up took the lead. Their 8 step battery QC process is industry leading, too.

Hopefully Google didn't cheap out on the battery quality given the insanely fast charging they're promising.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I’ll probably only use fast charge on my Pixel 2 XL when I need it, and use a normal charging brick for all other times.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Curious on your thoughts on this. Since this has a 6 inch screen, is the screen real estate the same as my 7 Plus or its smaller again.

I’m not sure. I don’t know the Pixel product line well enough.

I know it’s an 18:9 display and suspect it’s a longer version of their 16:9 5.5” display, which would mean the width of the 8+ but the more height.

-6.0 inches (~76.4% screen-to-body ratio)
1440 x 2880 pixels (~538 ppi pixel density)
-5.5 inches (~71.2% screen-to-body ratio)
1440 x 2560 pixels (~534 ppi pixel density)

That’s my guess

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Disagree.

They used glass with the nexus 4.
You don’t know what your talking about.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

I’m not sure. I don’t know the Pixel product line well enough.

I know it’s an 18:9 display and suspect it’s a longer version of their 16:9 5.5” display, which would mean the width of the 8+ but the more height.

-6.0 inches (~76.4% screen-to-body ratio)
1440 x 2880 pixels (~538 ppi pixel density)
-5.5 inches (~71.2% screen-to-body ratio)
1440 x 2560 pixels (~534 ppi pixel density)

That’s my guess

Using the link below to compare size, looks like the 2 XL display is the same width as they 7 Plus and taller, thus more real estate.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...el-2-XL,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/10568,9816

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I worry about that too but on the other hand I have an iPhone 7 Plus as my main phone right now. Fast charging could not possibly bork battery life as much as whatever it is Apple does to kill battery life on iOS devices. Is it iOS 11? Is it bargain basement batteries that degrade fast over time? I don’t know but I was at a party last night and trying to take some video and my battery tried to die on me—an anecdote which means nothing except I know what I’m used to an iPhone battery being able to do in a day and lately I’ve been dismayed at how my battery life fluctuates since ecem with the updates. My iPad mini 4 dies so fast. About 1% per minute by the looks of things as I use it now.

Reactions: v0lume4

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I worry about that too but on the other hand I have an iPhone 7 Plus as my main phone right now. Fast charging could not possibly bork battery life as much as whatever it is Apple does to kill battery life on iOS devices. Is it iOS 11? Is it bargain basement batteries that degrade fast over time? I don’t know but I was at a party last night and trying to take some video and my battery tried to die on me—an anecdote which means nothing except I know what I’m used to an iPhone battery being able to do in a day and lately I’ve been dismayed at how my battery life fluctuates since ecem with the updates. My iPad mini 4 dies so fast. About 1% per minute by the looks of things as I use it now.

When I use my 7 Plus in bright sunlight at auto brightness , the battery drains 1% per minute. I wonder if it's that lcds drain faster than oled at higher brightness levels.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Is it iOS 11?
iOS 11 is just poorly optimized overall. I’ve had countless issues and I’ve never had OS issues after a major update more than I am right now. That’s what has me losing faith in Apple’s software team.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
When I use my 7 Plus in bright sunlight at auto brightness , the battery drains 1% per minute. I wonder if it's that lcds drain faster than oled at higher brightness levels.

The battery on my S8+ gets crushed in direct sunlight with auto brightness cranked up.

I don’t think it’s any better than LCD in that regard.

A quarter mile walk to the gym on a sunny day can eat 5 to 10% of battery life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radon87000

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh boy don’t I feel stupid. I just checked and the auto brightness is all the way up, despite the fact I’m in my very dark living room. I thought we could turn auto brightness off but when I went into my display settings I couldn’t see any way to do so. What happened to that option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.