Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Well the Verizon model won't have an unlocked bootloader so if you are into that then you made the right choice. Otherwise you could have had it around late October if you ordered quickly enough. :)
Honestly don't care about the bootloader, since I don't root my devices.

The Verizon version is unlocked (in relation to carrier) right? Should have picked that one. Bah.

Still peace of mind to know that the phone is 100% mine, with absolutely no ties to my current Verizon account until I put my SIM in. But that comes at a price -- one additional month to be exact. :D
[doublepost=1507233215][/doublepost]
WELP, I did it! I got the Just Black 64GB Pixel 2XL!
CONGRATS!

Delivery ETA?

Reactions: deany and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have to admit that the front facing speakers on the Pixel 2 XL made me swoon. It’s weird that that drew my attention away from the iPhone X a little bit. But they managed to make a large display, while not edgeless, is still immersive AND they sneaked in front facing stereo! I saw that Lew from Unbox Therapy went a little bit crazy over that and I can’t blame him. I love the front facing stereo speakers on my Nintendo 3DS XL. I always wanted speakers like that on a smartphone but figured that wouldn’t happen anymore on the phones that rock the new big displays.

So...Color me surprised. I was very surprised because I really wasn’t paying any attention to the rumors. I had a hard time believing there was even going to be a Pixel 2. I wasn’t sure they were going to find a builder. Ha, they found two!

I also appreciate the song identification feature. I often find new artists and songs from being out and about and hearing good stuff I wouldn’t necessarily seek out. I’m always diving for the Shazam app on my iPhone or Apple Watch. But sometimes that app is painfully slow to load and I miss identifying the song.

Nah, the Pixel design and look isn’t going to impress anyone. It still looks a bit cobbled together compared to sleeker sexier designs. But it’s these little things the other manufacturers are overlooking that charm me.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I think you can achieve similar results using a $150 gimbal.

[doublepost=1507231751][/doublepost]

Good point. The front facing portrait shot that MKBHD took with it at the event is pretty convincing though. (about 7:22 into the video)

I'm sure the camera will be awesome. I have no doubt. I just think declaring it the best shooter before it's released is a bit much. And I strongly, *strongly* doubt it's going to be that much better than the Note 8 or the iPhone Plus 8. In fact, I know it won't be better objectively. It will be completely subjective opinion because they're all top of the food chain.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm sure the camera will be awesome. I have no doubt. I just think declaring it the best shooter before it's released is a bit much. And I strongly, *strongly* doubt it's going to be that much better than the Note 8 or the iPhone Plus 8. In fact, I know it won't be better objectively. It will be completely subjective opinion because they're all top of the food chain.
I’ve already seen on one of the videos I posted somewhere around here that digital zoom on the Pixel will lose some detail that the zoom lens on the iPhone Plus 8 will retain. There is some sacrifice under some conditions in going from two lenses to one.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I think you can achieve similar results using a $150 gimbal.

[doublepost=1507231751][/doublepost]

Good point. The front facing portrait shot that MKBHD took with it at the event is pretty convincing though. (about 7:22 into the video)

Re: MKBHD's vid, hot DAMN is the 2 XL gorgeous. I still get a little shock every time I see one of these vids.

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
The new pixel xl looks great and im tempted tbh, I was planning on going for the iphone x im currently on a 7 plus, even though im kinda bored of ios and lack of innovation in software its terrible and the same **** but mr reliable.

Ive never liked samsungs OS but this new pixel Im kinda excited for as long as it lives up to what its offering.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Panda Pixel XL back in stock, shipping time is 7-8 weeks.
Not great but not bad. Maybe this year's Pixel stock will be better than last year's.

If you go to Verizon's website (rather than the Google store) and look at the estimated shipping times, most variants of the Pixel/Pixel XL are shipping in October; November 1 at latest.

This means either no one pre-ordered, or stock is a little better this year. :D

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I’m torn between 64gb and 128gb... which would you guys get? I take a lot of photos and some videos and don’t install very many apps or games. I don’t keep my phones for very long (usually trade or sell them after 2 years) and Google’s free online photo storage through 2020 seems like it would mitigate a need for 128gb for my needs.

Edit: I’m currently using a 256gb 7+ with 135gb of free space.

If your storage usage is primarily photos and videos you can get away with 64GB by off-loading to Google Photos cloud storage but considering the cost is only about 10% more for double the storage I'd go with 128GB.

Reactions: bchreng

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
just not feeling that Panda Pixel 2

Panda is all “Yo, dude, whatever. I’m chillin.”
3076912B-667E-444D-B819-3AECD0E3D3EB.png

Apple needs to be ashamed of themselves. This isn’t just a fluke—I have my own audio samples and goodness knows how many of these comparisons I’ve seen by now to smack me in the face with the undeniable fact that their muffled audio on video sounds like crap and they should be embarrassed to have ignored that for so many generations. :mad:

I don’t know if this is another thing that Tim Cook doesn’t think is important like modem functionality or if everyone at Apple is just not paying attention but for every video comparison the IPhone videos come out sounding muffled.

I can’t tell from this young man’s video if the Pixel 2 XL can record in actual stereo or not but thankfully the sound at least is clear. Apple, with your resources, is clear audio recording capability too much to ask for? /Grumpyrant 2 of the day.

Reactions: jamezr

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Not even close in that comparison. iPhone 8+ has a tendency to show skin tone as hepatitis yellow, worse stabilization, unnatural colors, muffled mono audio, significant lens flare, etc.

Two annoyances from last year's Pixel are the jerky motion from panning while recording video and lens flare. Don't see any signs of that with Pixel 2 so that's very promising.

Pixel 2 looks like a strong #2 contender for Note 8.

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
We don't know that yet. (Please don't quote DXO scores. They're garbage.)

The iPhone X isn't on the market, but it also has the same camera as the iPhone 8+ with a few additions. DXO scores are fine. Some choose to cherry pick the scores, but I say whoever is on top is top.
[doublepost=1507242682][/doublepost]
but bezels.

Big bezels suck, but gotta pick the XL2 if you want minimal bezels and a lot of screen.
[doublepost=1507242730][/doublepost]What's with Google's phone color naming conventions?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not even close in that comparison. iPhone 8+ has a tendency to show skin tone as hepatitis yellow, worse stabilization, unnatural colors, muffled mono audio, significant lens flare, etc.

Two annoyances from last year's Pixel are the jerky motion from panning while recording video and lens flare. Don't see any signs of that with Pixel 2 so that's very promising.

Pixel 2 looks like a strong #2 contender for Note 8.
The “hepatitis yellow” of the iPhone 8/Plus is a step back that rather shocked me once I first started noticing it.

It was a problem I dealt with on all previous iPhones and caused me to really hate being photographed after I went blonde. Even the natural blondes weren’t looking too good. The blonde hair had a greenish yellowish hue, like bad swimming pool blonde, if you know what that is.

I was so happy to see that corrected on the iPhone 7/Plus cameras. My hair looked great for the first time on iPhone cameras. My skin looks less sallow, too.

Lol, Note 8 sometimes seems to have an aqua tint to its photos too, so I’ve been a bit wary. But my S8+ hasn’t been too bad.

But I really don’t think we are looking at the final state of affairs for the iPhone 8 photos. They really need to fix the tendency toward blown out highlights. I’ve noticed it in even some of the best sample photos I’ve seen. We know the camera is good. The software needs some work. That seems to be Apple’s state of affairs lately. They’ve been busy.

Reactions: bchreng

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
And I'm sure the speakers will sound great as well. One thing that lets the Note 8 down for me.

I'll gladly trade dual speakers for a SD slot, headphone jack, S-Pen, and the bevy of Samsung features. If I didn't own a Galaxy, I would've bought a first gen Pixel, Pixel 2, or LG G6.

Reactions: ultravisitor

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'll gladly trade dual speakers for a SD slot, headphone jack, S-Pen, and the bevy of Samsung features. If I didn't own a Galaxy, I would've bought a first gen Pixel, Pixel 2, or LG G6.
Headphone jack? What’s that? ;)

Reactions: nviz22

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Caved in and pre-ordered the regular Pixel 2 in black and with 64gb!
Not sold on the larger Pixel 2 XL as I actually prefer the current Pixel size.
Dispatch on 17th October.. looking forward to it!
Time to retire or re-home the original Pixel!

They did have a trade in program at the Google store. But you might be able to get more for it on swappa.com

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Interesting to note that those who ordered the "Panda" version will get the first units sooner if you ordered the Verizon model from Google, vs the unlocked. Checked with others who ordered same time but verizon vs. unlocked made a difference. Verizon must have paid Google a boat load of cash to allow their customers to get theirs before those ordering the unlocked model.

Well the Verizon model won't have an unlocked bootloader so if you are into that then you made the right choice. Otherwise you could have had it around late October if you ordered quickly enough. :)

Is that the only difference between the models (Other than the fact that you can go between carriers)? I dont plan on modifying the Pixel 2 just because Ive messed up a few phones doing it.

Edit: Just switched order to the unlocked version.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.