Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Do Apple slash prices a month before the new iPhone is released?

The Pixel is their iPhone, not the old Nexus way of doing things.

Apple themselves rarely have any sales, I don't think I ever recall them having sales on iphones at all. You might see some carriers sales over the holidays, but with the availability of the X I doubt it.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wha? There aren't different sim cards between iPhones and Android phones on Verizon. Then all use nano SIMs. If you switch between the two and want the correct VM, all you do is call customer service and ask for it. That's all.

It's some BS that the carriers have been spewing for awhile now. I had to go into tmobile once and they noticed I was using an android despite purchasing an iphone from them recently and they gave me the same line about how android and iphone sims are different and I won't get to fully experience my phones if I'm using the "wrong sim".

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Wha? There aren't different sim cards between iPhones and Android phones on Verizon. Then all use nano SIMs. If you switch between the two and want the correct VM, all you do is call customer service and ask for it. That's all.
When I switched from an iPhone to an Android phone I was told by customer service I had to go to a Verizon store to get a different SIM. They wouldn’t make whatever changes they needed on their end and insisted that I go into a store for a new SIM, so that’s what I did. It seems they may have eased up on this “policy” now.

It's some BS that the carriers have been spewing for awhile now. I had to go into tmobile once and they noticed I was using an android despite purchasing an iphone from them recently and they gave me the same line about how android and iphone sims are different and I won't get to fully experience my phones if I'm using the "wrong sim".
Agreed. I don’t understand why I would need a different SIM or why I would need to call them when I want to switch between devices.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
When I switched from an iPhone to an Android phone I was told by customer service I had to go to a Verizon store to get a different SIM. They wouldn’t make whatever changes they needed on their end and insisted that I go into a store for a new SIM, so that’s what I did. It seems they may have eased up on this “policy” now.

Agreed. I don’t understand why I would need a different SIM or why I would need to call them when I want to switch between devices.

AT&T did the same thing, at least that was the case last year when I switched between an iPhone and Pixel. IIRC, they didn’t make me get a new sim buy had to go into their system to reprovision it, else visual voicemail wouldn’t worth, nor would WiFi calling on my iPhone. So every time I wanted to switch, meant a conversation with AT&T—bunch of BS.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Will Google do the Pixel upgrade program in the UK as they are doing in the US? I hope so!
Probably not ... however there is a slim chance given Apple & Samsung offer finance / upgrade programmes in the UK.

However the issue may be sadly that if the Pixel 2 is as rumoured an eSim only device it will be exclusive to EE in the UK and pretty much useless for anyone wanting an unlocked device due to most carriers not supporting esims. It will also mean it may not work in many parts of Europe at all and may pose issues with Roaming abroad.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Its probably more due to the fact that the people who work in carrier stores and for customer service know less about these devices than cavemen. There is nothing on a Sim that dictates VM. They simply provision your line for either Apple's if it's an iPhone, or carrier if an Android. That takes place on the network, not the sim card.

I have been switching between iPhones and Android phones for years on different carriers. Once everyone went to nano SIMs, all I had to do was pop the card into whatever device I wanted to use, call CS, and tell them to provision my line for "X" voice mail. That's it.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Probably not ... however there is a slim chance given Apple & Samsung offer finance / upgrade programmes in the UK.

However the issue may be sadly that if the Pixel 2 is as rumoured an eSim only device it will be exclusive to EE in the UK and pretty much useless for anyone wanting an unlocked device due to most carriers not supporting esims. It will also mean it may not work in many parts of Europe at all and may pose issues with Roaming abroad.
Apologies what I meant was trading in my current Pixel for the new gen with cash on top. This way I'll get some money back for the greatly depreciated Pixel. I have read reports you're able to do this direct with Google this year in the US.
Hope Google bring this to the UK.
I don't want to go on a "upgrade" program as I like to pay upfront.. no credit malarky.
Also I recently moved to EE !

Reactions: MRU

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016

wow, I may have to plug in my sim that I got from Apple just to see if there are differences. I put my sim from my Android into my iPhone and let the other sim sit in the box. I'm w/T-Mobile BTW.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Its probably more due to the fact that the people who work in carrier stores and for customer service know less about these devices than cavemen. There is nothing on a Sim that dictates VM. They simply provision your line for either Apple's if it's an iPhone, or carrier if an Android. That takes place on the network, not the sim card.

I have been switching between iPhones and Android phones for years on different carriers. Once everyone went to nano SIMs, all I had to do was pop the card into whatever device I wanted to use, call CS, and tell them to provision my line for "X" voice mail. That's it.

Yeah I figured it had something to do with provisioning or whatnot. I use Google Voice for visual voicemail and am constantly switching between Android and iOS and have never called CS to do anything and everything seems to work fine. Perhaps I'd have issues if I tried to use native visual voicemail.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
I own a Google Nexus 6p from awhile back and one negative is with AT&T you cannot have Wi-Fi calling or Voice over LTE. The iPhone on the other hand is an exception you can buy the Verizon one with the good Qualcomm chip and everything (WiFi+VoLTE) will work just fine. I wonder if Android phones will ever be like that, unlocked and work on all carriers in the US (e.g., iPhone w/ Qualcomm chip (CDMA+GSM).

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
yeah, I saw this update from Android Central this weekend. Seems like the Ultra rumor was a hoax

"Update September 30: This story turned out to be a hoax by YouTuber BRECCIA. He's apparently looking for work if anyone would like to hire someone to deceive your clients."

https://www.androidcentral.com/goog...ch-navigation-keys-have-dual-cameras-and-more

It didn't seem likely anyway.

I think we're gonna get mostly what we're expecting. Just like the iPhone X and most other phones, a lot is already known. That's the nature of rumors now -- just waiting for final confirmation of what we already have seen and know.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The one true unknown for me right now is if the front of the 2 XL will only be black or if they would do small, white bezels as well (I doubt it and I hope not).

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Under 48 hours now!

And as every hour passes I'm getting more and more anxious that I won't be able to buy one on l when pre-orders go live because of stock issues.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Can I just say 'called it' re: ultra pixel

So has this solidified into anything more than that blurry pic of someone's laptop?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm assuming you are referring to Blass calling the ultra a hoax.
[doublepost=1506965639][/doublepost]
Pixel XL 2, in a case, via @evleaks:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/914899507720130560

The front does resemble a V30, but with taller top/bottom bezels to hold in the front facing speakers

Oh yeah that looks NICE!

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Do Google offer a returns period on phones you've used, like Apple? Or once it's opened, it's yours?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
You can return within 15 days and get refunded everything minus shipping: https://support.google.com/store/answer/2411741?hl=en

I've returned devices before successfully.

Thanks for that. I was all set for the iPhone X. Now I'm a very happy Note 8 owner and very curious to see what these are like! Although I keep more than 128gb of data on my devices & not sure if I want the hassle of re downloading things from the cloud because I can't fit everything on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.