Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Pixel 2 leak by Google?

e9c70a35953ebd74d5a2822d555f483f.jpg
c630129cf1d7d5cf5f3a62424fb0eeee.jpg

Reactions: MRU

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Last edited:

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Can Google retain their smartphone photography lead with Pixel 2?

Apple's just announced a phone with a large sensor (83% more light than iPhone 7 with much larger pixels than before copying Google's strategy last year), hardware OIS, a large F/1.8 aperture, better image processing (including hardware based noise reduction) and 4K60 video.

Rumours of Pixel 2 currently suggest no OIS, F/2.0 aperture, the same sensor as last year and 4K30 video. Probably slightly tweaked HDR+ for the new Snapdragon 835 ISP.

I'm struggling to see how Google could retain their competitive advantage over Apple in the smartphone photography game this year?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Pixel XL 2 has hit FCC. No leaks with this one, but at least it's closer to launch.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/13/lg-made-google-pixel-xl-2-hits-fcc/
OH SNAP!

It might not tell us much, but it means we're getting close!! Great find.

Imagine if Apple had this level of secrecy. I know, I know, the Pixel 2 is SO much smaller in production scale than the iPhone. That's why there's no leaks. But you could imagine how much more exciting the iPhone X would have been had we been in the dark completely.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Three weeks and counting...

Agree with others, I'm more excited about this phone than iPhone X now.

Saying all that, I hope reviews show Apple pushed the camera needle forward, love all the competition - it's great for us!

Samsung have been resting on their laurels a little bit.
[doublepost=1505397326][/doublepost]
Can Google retain their smartphone photography lead with Pixel 2?

Apple's just announced a phone with a large sensor (83% more light than iPhone 7 with much larger pixels than before copying Google's strategy last year), hardware OIS, a large F/1.8 aperture, better image processing (including hardware based noise reduction) and 4K60 video.

Rumours of Pixel 2 currently suggest no OIS, F/2.0 aperture, the same sensor as last year and 4K30 video. Probably slightly tweaked HDR+ for the new Snapdragon 835 ISP.

I'm struggling to see how Google could retain their competitive advantage over Apple in the smartphone photography game this year?

Computational photography. That is where Google in particular are reinventing the industry.

It's less about specs and more about software/ISP etc.

I'm not worried. They'll nail it.

Don't know if any of you saw that demo they did where they were taking a picture of a baseball match and they used computational tweaks to remove the fence. It was ridiculous.

My bet is plenty of crazy stuff like that will be announced on Oct 4th. That's more impressive than simple dual lens faffing about.

To give Apple credit, the Portrait Lighting thing looks dope. It will really be useful by a lot of people, I'm sure. These people don't care about stats, just results.

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Can't wait for the Pixel XL 2. I'm interested to see if they give it an IP67/68 rating and if they eliminate the headphone jack. It shall be mine either way.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
While I'm still torn on the notch at the top of the iPhone X, I wish that I could have the iPhone X, but instead running Android. A man can dream!

Ha. I could only imagine what would happen if I said the same thing over in the iPhone section of the forum. I'd be labeled a heretic!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I am excited about the XL 2 for sure.
The more I think about the iPhone X the more I feel like it wouldn't be a smart buy. Not just because of the price, but more with the fact that I feel like I prefer Android these days and multitasking and switching between applications is just so much more breezy.

Although Apple Music on iPhone is better than any music app I've used on Android, which is a biggy.

Hoping the XL 2 is a knock out but I honestly think we're going to see some bevelicious goodness, even on the XL.
[doublepost=1505404412][/doublepost]

Ooooo baby! I love that.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am excited about the XL 2 for sure.
The more I think about the iPhone X the more I feel like it wouldn't be a smart buy. Not just because of the price, but more with the fact that I feel like I prefer Android these days and multitasking and switching between applications is just so much more breezy.

Although Apple Music on iPhone is better than any music app I've used on Android, which is a biggy.

Hoping the XL 2 is a knock out but I honestly think we're going to see some bevelicious goodness, even on the XL.
[doublepost=1505404412][/doublepost]

Ooooo baby! I love that.

The XL 2 will have small bezels. Look at the G6 and V30, both have minimal bezels.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The XL 2 will have small bezels. Look at the G6 and V30, both have minimal bezels.

They do, which is what is giving me hope.
But I remember the disappointment at last years Pixel reveal with the design (initially).
I'm just hoping the same doesn't happen again.
If the XL 2 doesn't live up to the hype I'm putting on it with my own wish list, I will definitely be looking to see what / who I can sell for an iPhone X. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.