Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
How I wish I could afford more devices outright.
Ha! Me and you both!

I'm hoping that the Pixel will see a much wider release this year. It's really the only way that Google can expect this thing to go mainstream, imo. I'm thinking that Google will partner with more carriers this year unless they signed some kind of multi-year contract with Verizon. I'm thinking that last year, Google was just getting their feet wet and Verizon seemed like the carrier with the most reach. Couple that with Android's long relationship with Verizon dating back to the original Droid and it makes sense.

But yeah. Hoping it'll be a wider release this year. Especially since the "only on Verizon" marketing convinced a lot of people that the Pixel wouldn't work on their carrier, which wasn't true.

Reactions: Septembersrain

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The red / black and the blue / white are both delicious.
I honestly expected a less bevelicious device, but having used the XZ Premium now for over a month, I have absolutely no reason to want a phone without them.

If speakers are within the bezels then sign me up. I'll be hard pushed not to want one of these although it's going to take a lot for me want to part with this XZ Premium as I absolutely love it.

Keeping the Sony and Pixel XL that is on the way.

Forgetting about the iphone 8, Note 8, LG v30 and the new upcoming Pixels as well.

Reactions: Aneres11

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Ha! Me and you both!

I'm hoping that the Pixel will see a much wider release this year. It's really the only way that Google can expect this thing to go mainstream, imo. I'm thinking that Google will partner with more carriers this year unless they signed some kind of multi-year contract with Verizon. I'm thinking that last year, Google was just getting their feet wet and Verizon seemed like the carrier with the most reach. Couple that with Android's long relationship with Verizon dating back to the original Droid and it makes sense.

But yeah. Hoping it'll be a wider release this year. Especially since the "only on Verizon" marketing convinced a lot of people that the Pixel wouldn't work on their carrier, which wasn't true.

It may work on other networks but at what data speeds? Every Verizon smartphone I had I have tried on other networks do not yield LTE.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It may work on other networks but at what data speeds? Every Verizon smartphone I had I have tried on other networks do not yield LTE.
I'm using the Verizon pixel and get LTE on at&t. What I don't get VoLTE and wifi calling, but that's at&TS fault.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm using the Verizon pixel and get LTE on at&t. What I don't get VoLTE and wifi calling, but that's at&TS fault.

Thanks, good to know. Did you have to configure APN settings at all or did the Pixel just handle it in itself when you installed the sim from AT&T?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks, good to know. Did you have to configure APN settings at all or did the Pixel just handle it in itself when you installed the sim from AT&T?
I just put my at&t sim card in it before first boot up, and that's it. It set everything up automatically.

One caveat using this phone on at&t, there are spots where at&t has prioritised LTE over hspa, and since this phone can't do VoLTE calls because it's being blocked by at&t, there are times I have full LTE signal but will drop a call because hspa was weak. Hoping Google and at&t can figure something out soon.

Reactions: AppleRobert

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So what is Google's strategy with these phones? I can't see them trying to push the oems into better hardware design with such an outdated and crappy design. I can't see them wanting to make hardware money with them only selling like a million pixel 1's. I'm just not understanding what their purpose is, they are reminding me more and more of Microsoft 10 years ago with their disjointed strategies where none of their teams talk to each other and make these strange decisions.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Look at the camera lens. It’s huge. Either means larger camera sensor or OIS. Very promising either way.

I don’t personally care about the bezels, it’ll be the best Android phone of the year regardless.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Curious if Google will get these out on all carriers like the Galaxy and iPhone line ? I don't care personally, but if they want a larger audience, and bigger sales and gain traction, it needs to be sold in all the U.S. carriers.

I do recall last year after the Pixel went on sale, there was an interview and Google admitted it was a huge fight internally, wanting to get it out on all carriers originally, but saying not enough time or something, that half of the Pixel team were very upset it did not happen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Curious if Google will get these out on all carriers like the Galaxy and iPhone line ? I don't care personally, but if they want a larger audience, and bigger sales and gain traction, it needs to be sold in all the U.S. carriers.

I do recall last year after the Pixel went on sale, there was an interview and Google admitted it was a huge fight internally, wanting to get it out on all carriers originally, but saying not enough time or something, that half of the Pixel team were very upset it did not happen.
They merely need to sell it in more than 5 lowly countries and have actual stock online in those countries it does sell to and they will sell a dozen fold compared to last year's pixel and that is without carriers.

If stock is as restrained as last year, there will be both limited country availability again and forget carriers - if they can't keep stock themselves.

I would hope Google have learned, but looking at the 2 different SKU's / design ethos that is at play this year, it seems they are taking a step backwards rather than learning from mistakes ....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
They merely need to sell it in more than 5 lowly countries and have actual stock online in those countries it does sell to and they will sell a dozen fold compared to last year's pixel and that is without carriers.

If stock is as restrained as last year, there will be both limited country availability again and forget carriers - if they can't keep stock themselves.

I would hope Google have learned, but looking at the 2 different SKU's / design ethos that is at play this year, it seems they are taking a step backwards rather than learning from mistakes ....

Yup. Google provides some pretty great services but for the most part have their heads up their asses when it comes to hardware.

You'd think they'd accidentally learn something just seeing how Samsung and Apple operate but it really doesn't feel any different than it did back when the early Nexus models came out.

Reactions: MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

That's what gets me whenever people told me to wait for the Pixel 2 XL. It's like ...what? Wait to not be able to get anything due to low inventory?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Agree with all of this except for suggesting "if Google learns." I think low stock is acceptable to them. They're not interested in the hardware business. Nexus/Pixel seem like proof of concept strategies more than anything else.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That's what gets me whenever people told me to wait for the Pixel 2 XL. It's like ...what? Wait to not be able to get anything due to low inventory?

Yeah it's a fine libe though between having low stock and being able to keep up with supply & demand. It's interesting that with last couple of Nexus generations Google were at least able to supply to more countries, the pixels lack of supply hamstrung availability globally and if your not going to be able to get your 'proof of concept' into the wider hands then any step forward you make in improving stock android is by the by when potential customers are left pissing in the wind.

Google let themselves down by doing this.

I don't care if a device personally sells 50 million, 5 million or 5000. If it's a device I want and I like it, the fact others do or do not has never bothered or been a factor in my own choice or personal enjoyment. However I do like to have the opportunity to purchase the device, and in having such poor stock / supply logistics Google made that frustratingly hard.

In a country where Google employ well over 5,000 people and have their European HQ, to not be able to purchase a Pixel from them, where if I lived across the Irish invisible border in Northern Ireland (UK) I could is just frustratingly annoying ...

If the same thing happens with Pixel 2 / Pixel XL2 I will be very peeved.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't care if a device personally sells 50 million, 5 million or 5000. If it's a device I want and I like it, the fact others do or do not has never bothered or been a factor in my own choice or personal enjoyment. However I do like to have the opportunity to purchase the device, and in having such poor stock / supply logistics Google made that frustratingly hard..

True words :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Thing is Google has never learned and done better on shipping their phones in years. Way back to the Nexus 4 launch, it was super popular and sold out immediately in November, took till mid January to get decent inventory, and then not easily available until like March.

Nexus 5 same thing, very popular, out of stock and hard to get for a good couple months after launch

Nexus 6P again, great price, great phone. But wasn't easy getting the right color and GB size you wanted for months.

Pixel XL, more of the same again, was sold out FOREVER, and restock supply was damn near impossible to get. Even Verizon had like 6+ week lead times on it, and this was after it was officially out and for sale for three months already, and was still backordered all the time.

You see a trend here ? I always thought the Nexus / Pixel line was just some pet project for Google, that they threw several million to the Google nerds in the basement HQ just to make some phone they thought Android should be. And oh yeah, let's sell a few of these to the ultra [H]hardcore geeks, that will actually buy them.

My point, I don't think Google bosses really give two sh!ts how many Pixel phones are made. Only the Pixel engineers themselves care, but the big wigs in Google look at it like whatever.

Google doesn't make money off hardware, it's not their thing like the iPhone is for Apple or the Galaxy line is for Samsung. So Google will never really push the Pixel phone, and will never try to get millions of inventory ready. It will be, yeah we have this phone, and maybe you can buy one, but we just like to show it off really.

Pixel 2 will be the same thing. Low inventory and hard to get the exact color and size you want for months. And then 6 months later still be a $800 phone, but not competitive to the next gen 2018 phones out at the time.

Reactions: c0ppo and MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
With the upcoming spec lineup including 6GB RAM, seems like the Pixel and Pixel XL will be a stopgap competitor because Google turned it into an iPhone competitor rather than what it should be: a mass produce and sold device selling Google Services and ads. A mass marketed product increases opportunities to sell services rather than selling on bigger margins since margins won't matter if nobody has a product.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Google will turn it round this time and have much better availability.

Wait times will be down from 6 weeks to 5; it will be available in 6 countries, not 5 ;)

In all seriousness, the only other person I've met IRL who has had a Pixel (apart from me) is my neighbour.

Reactions: spinedoc77 and MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
With the upcoming spec lineup including 6GB RAM, seems like the Pixel and Pixel XL will be a stopgap competitor because Google turned it into an iPhone competitor rather than what it should be: a mass produce and sold device selling Google Services and ads. A mass marketed product increases opportunities to sell services rather than selling on bigger margins since margins won't matter if nobody has a product.
Where did you see 6gb ram? All I've seen says 4gb.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I had a Pixel XL sitting in my cart the last few months. Last night I refreshed the cart and saw it was $200 off. Today the discount is gone and so I deleted the pixel from my cart. I really considered pressing the buy button last night but decided to sleep on it. Glad I waited, they made up my mind.

The constant shipping delays is why I never bought a Pixel to this day. Next pixel will likely have the same problems. I'll check it out and the shipping times will change my mind again.

I'm enjoying my S8+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.