Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Thought it was stupid when Apple did it, and it will be stupid if Google does it too. I shouldn't have to get the biggest phone to get the best features. I wish I knew for sure if it were going to happen, because I would go ahead and get the S8 now instead of waiting (if the rumors are true).

100% this.

Google should continue what they did with the original Pixel: offer no compromise models.

They should be following Samsung, not Apple, on this.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Bummer, if true. Weird move by Google to differentiate their own line up like that. I wonder if it's because they're contacted to do phones with HTC for some time...
I wondered that too. I am not sure HTC has the manufacturing to produce all the phones Google is predicting to sell this time around. They might not be receptive to changes and thats why LG is making the XL this year.

Reactions: epicrayban

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, its starting to look like the crappier rumors are true, for the smaller pixel.

https://m.androidcentral.com/here-first-live-look-google-pixel-2

Can't justify paying around $800 after taxes to upgrade just for stereo speakers, sd836, and waterproofing. While those are all great and welcomed features, the pixel I got for almost half that is working great.

Also, with those large bezels and they still get rid of the headphone jack?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Bummer, if true. Weird move by Google to differentiate their own line up like that. I wonder if it's because they're contacted to do phones with HTC for some time...

I think that's exactly it. HTC phones have zero imagination, and the continued use of the massive 2012 bezels doesn't surprise me from HTC. They should have just given both phones to LG.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I think that's exactly it. HTC phones have zero imagination, and the continued use of the massive 2012 bezels doesn't surprise me from HTC. They should have just given both phones to LG.
I think the 5.6" 18:9 rumor with minimal bezels would've been perfect. Too bad.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Or just dictate more what they want. Google should be telling HTC to give them a better designed phone.

We'll see. I don't like that Google is pulling another nexus 5x/6p scenario.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Well, its starting to look like the crappier rumors are true, for the smaller pixel.

https://m.androidcentral.com/here-first-live-look-google-pixel-2

Can't justify paying around $800 after taxes to upgrade just for stereo speakers, sd836, and waterproofing. While those are all great and welcomed features, the pixel I got for almost half that is working great.

Also, with those large bezels and they still get rid of the headphone jack?
Guess I'll be picking up the S8 soon. Maybe would have considered the Essentials phone, but I'm not interested in leaving AT&T, and unlocked phones can't take advantage of HD Voice or wifi calling on their network.
[doublepost=1501901030][/doublepost]
Or just dictate more what they want. Google should be telling HTC to give them a better designed phone.

We'll see. I don't like that Google is pulling another nexus 5x/6p scenario.
It especially seems weird to set the precedent of a no-compromise smaller phone and then go back on it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Except the Pixel XL 2 is the phone the V30 will be competing against, not the relay Pixel 2.

I'm confused ...... some case rumors suggest the Pixel 2 XL will have large bezels, other show thin bezels.

If the Pixel 2 XL doesn't have thin bezels, then that's a huge con when you add to the fact that it will only have one back camera lens and no audio jack.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm confused ...... some case rumors suggest the Pixel 2 XL will have large bezels, other show thin bezels.

If the Pixel 2 XL doesn't have thin bezels, then that's a huge con when you add to the fact that it will only have one back camera lens and no audio jack.
Pixel 2 XL will be more LG'esque with thin bezels whilst the leaked images above are the 5" Pixel 2 by HTC.

That seems to be where all sources / rumors are pointing currently.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Pixel 2 XL will be more LG'esque with thin bezels whilst the leaked images above are the 5" Pixel 2 by HTC.

That seems to be where all sources / rumors are pointing currently.

I hope. I'm leaning on the Pixel 2 XL or the V30 for my second line, to buy unlocked outright. So if the Pixel 2 XL has thin bezels, it has the advantage just based on updates alone and the fact that I plan to keep it for awhile.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
I hope. I'm leaning on the Pixel 2 XL or the V30 for my second line, to buy unlocked outright. So if the Pixel 2 XL has thin bezels, it has the advantage just based on updates alone and the fact that I plan to keep it for awhile.
Yes that was my point - autocorrect changed 'regular' to 'relay' so my previous comment may not have made much sense, I've edited it now for clarity.

Reactions: MRU and LIVEFRMNYC

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yknow, I didn't realize the first leak of the Pixel 2 was from Evan Blass. That makes it 99% confirmed.

More leaks of the Pixel 2:

Google Pixel 2 live photo gives us a closer look at the front and back

gsmarena_0003.jpg

Definitely disappointing. The potential for the Pixel 2 has just lost all its momentum.

Looks like the real upgrades will be in the Pixel 2 XL only. And so once again, we'll have a Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P scenario, where if you want the premium design and features, you'll need to accept a large device.

Shame on Google. EDIT: And HTC.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Yknow, I didn't realize the first leak of the Pixel 2 was from Evan Blass. That makes it 99% confirmed.

gsmarena_0003.jpg

Definitely disappointing. The potential for the Pixel 2 has just lost all its momentum.

Looks like the real upgrades will be in the Pixel 2 XL only. And so once again, we'll have a Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P scenario, where if you want the premium design and features, you'll need to accept a large device.

From the front, that looks just like a Nexus 6P. Funny.

Shame that we aren't getting the exact same phone in two different sizes like we did last year. :(

To be fair, Apple will be doing the same thing with the iPhone 7S (assuming that'll be the name?) and the flagship iPhone 8/Edition/Whatever. But still -- I think that Google could have had a competitive edge had they been able to make the Pixel 2 identical in both sizes.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
From the front, that looks just like a Nexus 6P. Funny.

Shame that we aren't getting the exact same phone in two different sizes like we did last year. :(

To be fair, Apple will be doing the same thing with the iPhone 7S (assuming that'll be the name?) and the flagship iPhone 8/Edition/Whatever. But still -- I think that Google could have had a competitive edge had they been able to make the Pixel 2 identical in both sizes.

Apple has been doing that for a while now. The Plus model got the dual camera, whereas the regular iPhone didn't. But you're right, Apple will be doing that even more so when the iPhone 8 lands.

100% agree. Google should really continue offering no compromise phone sizes. It's a real shame.

Reactions: v0lume4

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

gsmarena_0003.jpg

What's really killing it for me is that supposedly it's going to be $50 more expensive than last year's model and only come in 64gb for the smaller version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.