Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
If they follow a similar path to 2016 Pixel, even if they did release it next week - it'll likely be out of stock for 3 or 4 months anyway ;)

I just hope they get their **** together this year and have plenty of stock and actually release it in more than 5 countries ....

The supply logistics and regional release was nothing but a complete embarrassment and indictment for the one of the biggest internet companies in the world.

Considering it seems their supplies are constrained every year, I don't know if it's an embarrassment so much as "working as intended." I'm of the opinion Google still isn't that interested in the hardware end of the game.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Considering it seems their supplies are constrained every year, I don't know if it's an embarrassment so much as "working as intended." I'm of the opinion Google still isn't that interested in the hardware end of the game.

Especially if they're going to gimp the Pixel 2's features compared to the XL 2. Lousy move, if it becomes true.

I'm actually confident supplies will be better this second go around. But at the same time, I predict demand will also be higher, so we'll see.

Reactions: MRU

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'll be very very interested to see what the 5" model is like, if that has a slim bezeless design with top end CPU, stereo speakers, waterproofing and a fantastic OIS camera, plus big storage and made by LG with OLED screen.... Apple will need to work VERY hard to match it, because Google won't be charging 1100 for it!

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Especially if they're going to gimp the Pixel 2's features compared to the XL 2. Lousy move, if it becomes true.

I'm actually confident supplies will be better this second go around. But at the same time, I predict demand will also be higher, so we'll see.

That's a great point. VZW put a pretty big marketing push behind the phone along with Google. It's certainly going to be on far more peoples' radar than a Nexus phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll be very very interested to see what the 5" model is like, if that has a slim bezeless design with top end CPU, stereo speakers, waterproofing and a fantastic OIS camera, plus big storage and made by LG with OLED screen.... Apple will need to work VERY hard to match it, because Google won't be charging 1100 for it!

It's not looking like that will be the 5" version. It may see some reduction in bezel but by all other accounts it's still very bevelicious. It is being made by HTC after all. So whilst it may share some design cues will the XL by LG, I suspect HTC's design ethos is the stronger at its forefront.

The 5" model will be priced competitively with the iPhone 7s

The XL will likely be the model seeing most change to a G6 style screen to aspect ratio. I imagine it will be priced higher than last years XL but a good $200 cheaper than the iPhone 8, which means we could still be looking at near $1000 including taxes.

When you consider however a 64gb, Dual Sim, Micro SD compatible, G6 can be picked up for $400 now though, it's going to make the extra $500-600 hard to justify for essentially the generic processor, camera spec bumps we see each year.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
It's not looking like that will be the 5" version. It may see some reduction in bezel but by all other accounts it's still very bevelicious. It is being made by HTC after all. So whilst it may share some design cues will the XL by LG, I suspect HTC's design ethos is the stronger at its forefront.

The XL will likely be the model seeing most change to a G6 style screen to aspect ratio. I imagine it will be priced higher than last years XL but a good $200 cheaper than the iPhone 8, which means we could still be looking at near $1000 including taxes.

When you consider however a 64gb, Dual Sim, Micro SD compatible, G6 can be picked up for $400 now though, it's going to make the extra $500-600 hard to justify for essentially the generic processor, camera spec bumps we see each year.

Rumours claim a 5" model, and it'll still be waaayyy cheaper then the rumoured 1100 plus price tag of the iPhone 8!
I also thought it hadn't been decided who's making them, LG or HTC. As for the G6, Google naked Android with updates so worth the money.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Rumours claim a 5" model, and it'll still be waaayyy cheaper then the rumoured 1100 plus price tag of the iPhone 8!
I also thought it hadn't been decided who's making them, LG or HTC. As for the G6, Google naked Android with updates so worth the money.
That's what I said. It will be priced akin to the iPhone 7s (not 8)

HTC are producing the smaller Pixel 2
LG are producing the Pixel XL 2

As much as I love stock android and love the G6 design, a possible €500-600 over and above the G6 price is still a heck of a lot to ask .... After all other than the GUI, once you actually launch third party apps they function the same regardless of whether they be launched on stock or other OEM skin.

I am this year going to have a majorly hard time justifying €1,000+ for the Pixel 2 XL or iPhone 8. As better than something like the G6 or OnePlus 5 the XL2 will be, are those other devices which could be half the price, the pixel XL 2 or iPhone 8 I would dare to guess they are not twice as good ....

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010

I will be very disappointed if these rumors about the smaller Pixel are true. That's one of the things that turned me off from the iPhone--saving the premier features for the larger version. That's just stupid IMO. Wish I could know sooner rather than later. Then I'll just go ahead and upgrade my S7 to the S8 instead of waiting to compare the Pixel.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
That's what I said. It will be priced akin to the iPhone 7s (not 8)

HTC are producing the smaller Pixel 2
LG are producing the Pixel XL 2

As much as I love stock android and love the G6 design, a possible €500-600 over and above the G6 price is still a heck of a lot to ask .... After all other than the GUI, once you actually launch third party apps they function the same regardless of whether they be launched on stock or other OEM skin.

I am this year going to have a majorly hard time justifying €1,000+ for the Pixel 2 XL or iPhone 8. As better than something like the G6 or OnePlus 5 the XL2 will be, are those other devices which could be half the price, the pixel XL 2 or iPhone 8 I would dare to guess they are not twice as good ....

It's worth the money, I mean my Nexus 5 still runs faster and smoother then my Xperia Tablet and the tablet has a slightly newer and faster CPU and an extra gig of ram! Hmm still gotta get a new screen and shell and battery for my Nexus 5.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's worth the money, I mean my Nexus 5 still runs faster and smoother then my Xperia Tablet and the tablet has a slightly newer and faster CPU and an extra gig of ram! Hmm still gotta get a new screen and shell and battery for my Nexus 5.

Don't get me wrong. I will inevitably buy it and likely the XL this year rather than the standard model, but I still think it's a big ask - not just for the Pixel but any phone to be €900 and above these days.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Won't they Pixel XL 2 be priced closer to the iPhone Plus, not the iPhone 8?
We simply do not know yet sadly. We are all guessing what the iPhone 8 & XL2 will be. It's possible Google may see the opportunity to price the XL2 between the 7s+ & 8 and of course it will also depend on where Samsung price the Note 8.

Factor in Europe pays more than USA on top and I'm expecting as I say €900+ prices all around here.

Reactions: epicrayban

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
We simply do not know yet sadly. We are all guessing what the iPhone 8 & XL2 will be. It's possible Google may see the opportunity to price the XL2 between the 7s+ & 8 and of course it will also depend on where Samsung price the Note 8.

Factor in Europe pays more than USA on top and I'm expecting as I say €900+ prices all around here.

Even at 900 it'll still be cheaper then the rumoured iPhone 8 1200 cost being backed up by multiple sources. And thanks to Apple they will match the pound to the dollar, and maybe the Euro too?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I really hope it's ip68 water proofing. I really like that I can wash my phone if I have to.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Even at 900 it'll still be cheaper then the rumoured iPhone 8 1200 cost being backed up by multiple sources. And thanks to Apple they will match the pound to the dollar, and maybe the Euro too?

Why should it cost 900 when the device G6 it is based on cost 500? It is just ridiculous to pay that much extra just for barebone android.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Very much doubt the Pixel 2 is for me.

No headphone jack is annoying and as others have said, the price is likely to be pretty high for a while. My S8 is just fine.

Also keeping an eye on what Apple offer. I'm not one to get boxed into an ecosystem!

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Price aside, I think the Pixel 2 will be the best Android phone this year. Samsung came close, but their software is still disappointing. Pure Android, water resistance, the best camera on the market, AMOLED screen, HTC U11 squeezing capabilities, etc?

My S8+ performs just fine, but I think the Pixel 2 will be better than that and the Note 8. I think the iPhone 8 will end up being the phone of the year.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Price aside, I think the Pixel 2 will be the best Android phone this year. Samsung came close, but their software is still disappointing. Pure Android, water resistance, the best camera on the market, AMOLED screen, HTC U11 squeezing capabilities, etc?

My S8+ performs just fine, but I think the Pixel 2 will be better than that and the Note 8. I think the iPhone 8 will end up being the phone of the year.

People say that Samsung software is disappointing but that can mean different things:

1) Does the software slow down compared to the Pixel? Yes, for sure.

2) Is Samsung's take on Android a far more mature offering with countless useful tweaks that stock Android simply doesn't have on Pixel? Yes.

One day I'll make a list of the best features of Samsung's software that the Pixel misses. Really basic/thoughtful things.

Reactions: MRU and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
People say that Samsung software is disappointing but that can mean different things:

1) Does the software slow down compared to the Pixel? Yes, for sure.

2) Is Samsung's take on Android a far more mature offering with countless useful tweaks that stock Android simply doesn't have on Pixel? Yes.

One day I'll make a list of the best features of Samsung's software that the Pixel misses. Really basic/thoughtful things.
It's not so much that it slows down but that it is unpredictable, going by my husband's and my experiences so far, mostly with the S8+. He's a business "power user" with hundreds of apps, while I'm more narrowly focused and very cautious. But we've both run into unexpected lags and weirdness out of the blue. He's had unexpected battery drain. I have the really annoying animation stutters and lag on my home screen, going to it and from it for any app. We've both had the camera "stick" or lag on occasion.

That does not negate the many thoughtful features that Samsung did indeed bake into their version of Android. It just means we have to make allowances that these issues crop up and know that how Android works for us isn't necessarily how it works in a more stock form on other phones. Android runs smoother on my HTC 10 that's closer to stock, but has fewer "amenities" than is offered on the Samsung version.

My husband still quite likes his S8+ and isn't considering any other Android phones and still retains an interest in the Note 8. I'm sort of interested in the S8 Active but also curious about the HTC 11 and the upcoming Pixels. However, my S8+ isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I smooth out the hiccups as they come up.

I must say that Android on the S8+ is still quite good. It's very stable in the sense that I can't remember offhand experiencing any apps crashing. My apps on some of the more recent versions of iOS 10 crash quite often. iOS 10 doesn't have any stutter or slowdowns that I've seen, though.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
It's not so much that it slows down but that it is unpredictable, going by my husband's and my experiences so far, mostly with the S8+. He's a business "power user" with hundreds of apps, while I'm more narrowly focused and very cautious. But we've both run into unexpected lags and weirdness out of the blue. He's had unexpected battery drain. I have the really annoying animation stutters and lag on my home screen, going to it and from it for any app. We've both had the camera "stick" or lag on occasion.

That does not negate the many thoughtful features that Samsung did indeed bake into their version of Android. It just means we have to make allowances that these issues crop up and know that how Android works for us isn't necessarily how it works in a more stock form on other phones. Android runs smoother on my HTC 10 that's closer to stock, but has fewer "amenities" than is offered on the Samsung version.

My husband still quite likes his S8+ and isn't considering any other Android phones and still retains an interest in the Note 8. I'm sort of interested in the S8 Active but also curious about the HTC 11 and the upcoming Pixels. However, my S8+ isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I smooth out the hiccups as they come up.

I must say that Android on the S8+ is still quite good. It's very stable in the sense that I can't remember offhand experiencing any apps crashing. My apps on some of the more recent versions of iOS 10 crash quite often. iOS 10 doesn't have any stutter or slowdowns that I've seen, though.

Don't want to take the thread off topic!

I had a Pixel for a month and loved a lot about it, but going back to the S7 Edge filled me comfort - there were so many useful things that have woven themselves into the daily fabric of my life.

Coming to realise that the extra features = extra "weight" on Android that slows it down. I can live with a bit of lag on those specific terms.

E.g. For some people it's not a big deal but taking away the headphone jack FOR ME is very frustrating, Google!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I would argue that the Pixel line has more to catch up in hardware compared to the s8 than the s8 has to catch up in software-weaknesses compared to the Pixel.

However, if you see it the other way, here's the beauty:

Both the s8 and the Pixel line represent the top pillars of Android. Both excel at a few specifics, but they also do pretty much everything else well in their way. Basically, they are both amazing options.

I'm really rooting for Google to close that hardware gap with the Pixel 2. What we've seen looks promising. Even the two-tone design has gotten better--more subtle and elegant, in my opinion.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Don't want to take the thread off topic!

I had a Pixel for a month and loved a lot about it, but going back to the S7 Edge filled me comfort - there were so many useful things that have woven themselves into the daily fabric of my life.

Coming to realise that the extra features = extra "weight" on Android that slows it down. I can live with a bit of lag on those specific terms.

E.g. For some people it's not a big deal but taking away the headphone jack FOR ME is very frustrating, Google!
I hate the trend of removing the headphone jack. Ugh. I accept that it's happening but it's a frustration for me, too. I've got Bluetooth headphones and earbuds same as anybody else these days, so I'll survive just fine in a wireless world, but they're not always a convenient or desirable option for me. Sometimes I have to break out the dongle!

I was looking at this article on Forbes and saw that it's rumored they also put a bumpy camera ring on the new Pixels. I guess they decided the wedge shaped solution they used before was going to mess up the balance this time? Anyway it's a shame they need to go with a camera bump.

I've been a bit surprised that Pixel rumors haven't taken up more prominence in tech press. Over the summer I've occasionally gone hunting for some rumors but haven't found that much.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Me too, about the headphone jack. I still occasionally find using the headphone jack useful. And I love Bluetooth, but I don't always and only want to use Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.