Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What is the difference between lamented and non-lamented and what are the pro's and con's of each?
Non Laminated displays are easier and less costly to repair. There is a noticeable air gap between the panel and the screen which is immediately apparent to anyone who has used laminated displays. It results in less vibrancy and brightness. The major difference is that with laminated displays it will seem as if the OS is painted on top of the screen and you are actually touching the content while with non laminated displays it will seem as if the content is inside the screen. The screen just won’t feel as nice and it’s something which is expected on budget devices. All iPhones and flagship Galaxies have laminated displays. There is no disadvantage to laminated displays apart from being more expensive to repair.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The questions are: how did they achieve front firing dual speakers with smaller top/bottom bezels in the 2 XL, but not in the regular Pixel 2?

Likewise, how did they achieve Active Edge with thinner side bezels on the Pixel 2, but have such thick side bezels for Active Edge on the 2 XL?

What happened here with design, Google?

Reactions: deany and 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I should be able to get to a VZW store and check out the Pixel 2 today.
If the display is the same as the V30 then I am ok with that as the V30 display is very nice.

The side bezel thing doesn't concern me at all. I mean the side bezels on my 8+ are not a concern. I don't think they add/remove to my user experience on phones to be honest.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The questions are: how did they achieve front firing dual speakers with smaller top/bottom bezels in the 2 XL, but not in the regular Pixel 2?

Likewise, how did they achieve Active Edge with thinner side bezels on the Pixel 2, but have such thick side bezels for Active Edge on the 2 XL?

What happened here with design, Google?
Interesting questions. It must have been tricky working with two different manufacturers to try to get some sort of uniformity or cohesiveness between the two finished products. Apparently the effort was not very successful.

Both manufacturers make design decisions on their native models that make me shake my head and wonder what they are thinking, so it’s no surprise they each imposed some of their quirks and foibles on the models they were responsible for.

You’d have thought Google would impose a uniform design spec on both manufacturers, but it does not appear they had a person to do that. So they left some of the design decisions up to an LG and HTC person, respectively. edit: I’m going to walk that comment back because it’s not exactly what I mean but I’m not awake enough yet to know exactly what I mean! Chaaa. I mean I’m sure they set up a uniform design spec but they seem to have left a lot of leeway in it for the HTC guys and LG guys to work together to get the squeeze feature to work on both phones.

I’m not sure the design decisions that bother you would bother me because I’m prioritizing different things above overall design and appearance this go around. And frankly, no notch—yay! I like the notch just fine when an iPhone is off or on the home screen in a vertical configuration, but when in other apps or landscape I find it difficult to ignore, in concept anyway. I don’t know how it would bother me in actual use. But I’m happy that the choice I’m going with doesn’t have a notch and renders all concerns about such a distraction moot.

Last edited:

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Non Laminated displays are easier and less costly to repair. There is a noticeable air gap between the panel and the screen which is immediately apparent to anyone who has used laminated displays. It results in less vibrancy and brightness. The major difference is that with laminated displays it will seem as if the OS is painted on top of the screen and you are actually touching the content while with non laminated displays it will seem as if the content is inside the screen. The screen just won’t feel as nice and it’s something which is expected on budget devices. All iPhones and flagship Galaxies have laminated displays. There is no disadvantage to laminated displays apart from being more expensive to repair.

Thanks for the response. Based on your response alone, it seems like any flagship phone that doesn't have a laminated display is doing so just to cheap out?
I have the original XL. Is that a laminated display or not?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks for the response. Based on your response alone, it seems like any flagship phone that doesn't have a laminated display is doing so just to cheap out?
I have the original XL. Is that a laminated display or not?

Yes. The Pixel 2 XL is the only flagship I know which is suggested to have a non laminated display. Your XL has a laminated display. Dunno why Google reversed course on this.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes. The Pixel 2 XL is the only flagship I know which is suggested to have a non laminated display. Your XL has a laminated display. Dunno why Google reversed course on this.
Who said or suggested it has a non laminated display? Oh never mind I went back a page.

Edit to add more. So far everyone who reviews it says the display is gorgeous. It may not be Samsung levels of gorgeous but it sounds really solid.

Reactions: deany and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Who said or suggested it has a non laminated display? Oh never mind I went back a page.

Edit to add more. So far everyone who reviews it says the display is gorgeous. It may not be Samsung levels of gorgeous but it sounds really solid.
My thoughts too. I mean every reviewer has said the display is gorgeous and nothing to worry about.

Then...if memory serves me right...last year everyone roasted the Pixel and the design. Myself included!
Only to have the Pixel provide the best smartphone camera and consensus best Android user experience.

The Pixel was better than the sum of its parts last year. I am thinking this year could be the same!

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
MBKHD also said the display felt like it was kind of “sunken in”. It’s just a weird phone all things considered.

That's disappointing. I intend to keep my pre-order and withhold judgement until I hold the phone. However, if this is true it's disappointing they would cheap out on the hardware that you use the most.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My thoughts too. I mean every reviewer has said the display is gorgeous and nothing to worry about.

Then...if memory serves me right...last year everyone roasted the Pixel and the design. Myself included!
Only to have the Pixel provide the best smartphone camera and consensus best Android user experience.

The Pixel was better than the sum of its parts last year. I am thinking this year could be the same!

I suspect this will be the reality. Google clearly don't care much about design/materials/industrial engineering.

The Pixel to them is a representation of how useful a phone is once the screen is on, not how pretty it is when the screen is off.

Saying that, we still have to wait for reviews from the usual sources.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Interesting questions. It must have been tricky working with two different manufacturers to try to get some sort of uniformity or cohesiveness between the two finished products. Apparently the effort was not very successful.

Both manufacturers make design decisions on their native models that make me shake my head and wonder what they are thinking, so it’s no surprise they each imposed some of their quirks and foibles on the models they were responsible for.

You’d have thought Google would impose a uniform design spec on both manufacturers, but it does not appear they had a person to do that. So they left some of the design decisions up to an LG and HTC person, respectively. edit: I’m going to walk that comment back because it’s not exactly what I mean but I’m not awake enough yet to know exactly what I mean! Chaaa. I mean I’m sure they set up a uniform design spec but they seem to have left a lot of leeway in it for the HTC guys and LG guys to work together to get the squeeze feature to work on both phones.

I’m not sure the design decisions that bother you would bother me because I’m prioritizing different things above overall design and appearance this go around. And frankly, no notch—yay! I like the notch just fine when an iPhone is off or on the home screen in a vertical configuration, but when in other apps or landscape I find it difficult to ignore, in concept anyway. I don’t know how it would bother me in actual use. But I’m happy that the choice I’m going with doesn’t have a notch and renders all concerns about such a distraction moot.

Oh, make no mistake, as critical as I am of the bezels in the Pixel 2, the iPhone X notch is another level of weird/bad design. It's the most un-Apple like thing I've ever seen them design. It's fast becoming iconic, which I think was part of the goal, and Face ID looks supremely promising, but it does come at a big price.

Just like front firing dual speakers and Active Edge come at a price: more bezels.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I should clarify, I am not positive the Pixel 2 screens are not laminated. Sorry if that was confusing.

[doublepost=1507906126][/doublepost]
I suspect this will be the reality. Google clearly don't care much about design/materials/industrial engineering.

The Pixel to them is a representation of how useful a phone is once the screen is on, not how pretty it is when the screen is off.

Saying that, we still have to wait for reviews from the usual sources.

My criticisms of the bezels are for when the screen is on.

Speaking generally to everybody now:

Not trying to knock people's decision on their Pixel 2, just offering my take on the brief hands on I had. Keep in mind, I have two Pixel 2's coming my way and will be able to do a closer observation and comparison then.

I think it's wrong to think that design doesn't impact actual use (the idea that it only matters when the screen is off). If the idea of a bezel-less design is to create more immersion, and the idea of OLED tech is to offer a better quality screen (contrast ratios, colors, viewing angles, etc.) then there is no question that Samsung has the lead on this front. How far ahead is Samsung's display technology? I'm not sure, but they are surely ahead.

And the screen experience does matter. It's literally what you're looking at.

So when you have bezels that are either awkwardly done, ala the Pixel 2 XL, or when they're just straight up big, ala the Pixel 2, it takes away from the immersive effect. In the case of the Pixel 2, there is no immersive effect. If I'm not mistaken, the bezels on the Pixel 2 actually looked even larger than the bezels on the original Pixel 1, which happened to be right next to the Pixel 2's.

Neither Pixel 2 models, to me, felt like a modern and well designed 2017 flagship. The regular Pixel 2 felt straight up like a budget phone out of 2016.

And the Pixel 2 XL feels like it's a first-generation attempt at a bezel-less smartphone that might have came out a year or two ago, like it was amazing at the time how far they got the edges to, but by today's standard, is behind.

[doublepost=1507906267][/doublepost]

Indeed this did happen. But speaking about design alone, I think the Pixel 1's design had way more character and balance going for it. The Pixel 2 design doesn't quite strike the same effect. In particular, the two-tone back design of the Pixel 2 just looks imbalanced and awkward, whereas with the Pixel 1, at least the two-tone look was more evenly divided. It gave the Pixel 1 some character.

I'm not confident the Pixel 2 will garner that same kind of lovable attraction the Pixel 1 eventually got. Of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I should clarify, I am not positive the Pixel 2 screens are not laminated. Sorry if that was confusing.

[doublepost=1507906126][/doublepost]

My criticisms of the bezels are for when the screen is on.

Speaking generally to everybody now:

Not trying to knock people's decision on their Pixel 2, just offering my take on the brief hands on I had. Keep in mind, I have two Pixel 2's coming my way and will be able to do a closer observation and comparison then.

I think it's wrong to think that design doesn't impact actual use (the idea that it only matters when the screen is off). If the idea of a bezel-less design is to create more immersion, and the idea of OLED tech is to offer a better quality screen (contrast ratios, colors, viewing angles, etc.) then there is no question that Samsung has the lead on this front. How far ahead is Samsung's display technology? I'm not sure, but they are surely ahead.

And the screen experience does matter. It's literally what you're looking at.

So when you have bezels that are either awkwardly done, ala the Pixel 2 XL, or when they're just straight up big, ala the Pixel 2, it takes away from the immersive effect. In the case of the Pixel 2, there is no immersive effect. If I'm not mistaken, the bezels on the Pixel 2 actually looked even larger than the bezels on the original Pixel 1, which happened to be right next to the Pixel 2's.

Neither Pixel 2 models, to me, felt like a modern and well designed 2017 flagship. The regular Pixel 2 felt straight up like a budget phone out of 2016.

And the Pixel 2 XL feels like it's a first-generation attempt at a bezel-less smartphone that might have came out a year or two ago, like it was amazing at the time how far they got the edges to, but by today's standard, is behind.

[doublepost=1507906267][/doublepost]

Indeed this did happen. But speaking about design alone, I think the Pixel 1's design had way more character and balance going for it. The Pixel 2 design doesn't quite strike the same effect. In particular, the two-tone back design of the Pixel 2 just looks imbalanced and awkward, whereas with the Pixel 1, at least the two-tone look was more evenly divided. It gave the Pixel 1 some character.

I'm not confident the Pixel 2 will garner that same kind of lovable attraction the Pixel 1 eventually got. Of course, I could be wrong.
I think the people that like the Pixel 1 will like the Pixel 2....
I think some of the design flaws are just perception. That once they use the phone those issues go away.

Kinda like the design failure of the S8 and S8+ and Note 8 fingerprint scanners. I mean those that like the phones have gotten used to the design flaw and just adjusted their uses.

I can see the same thing happening with the Pixel 2.
I also feel this way about every phone....they all have their plus and minuses

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
So can anyone who has checked them out confirm if the screen is laminated or not? Unfortunately the Pixel 2 XL at my local Verizon store had a totally dead battery as it didn't seen to be plugged in correctly or something so couldn't tell myself :(

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's gotta be laminated, right, if that's the standard?

I really wasn't looking out for this, so I can't recall or tell. The screen looked good, but just more muted than my S8, even when both Pixel 2's were at full brightness.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Pixel 2 portrait mode is legit. I've had and used the 7+ portrait mode a lot and this was faster and possibly better. Very impressed. Also,really like the texture of the black finish on the Just Black version.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I stopped by my local Verizon store during my lunch hour.

Pixel 2
  • Felt good in the hand
  • Not as slippery as the first gen, but the back definitely feels more like plastic (but did not feel cheap to me, which I thought it would)
  • Size did not seem significantly smaller than the XL 2
  • Screen was very disappointing and I am currently using an iPhone SE. I had both original Pixels and imho, I prefer both of those screens to this one. It seemed muted, washed out and did not appear to be laminated. I prefer the screen to feel on top of the glass and this one did not get close to passing that test. I prefer small phones, but the screen alone would keep me from buying this model.
  • Overall it had nice build quality and felt solid, but did not feel premium enough to justify the flagship cost.
Pixel 2 XL
  • Felt GREAT in the hand. I was surprised at how much I liked how it felt. It felt similar to the Note 8, but had more grip which gave me confidence that I could go without the case. I always felt like I was going to drop the original Pixel XL, but had confidence with this one.
  • Weight was not too light, not too heavy. I generally prefer a heavier phone as it gives a feeling of quality. After reading about how light these were, I was afraid it would feel cheap, but it did not.
  • Form factor was great. Although it is similar size to the original XL, it felt smaller and more manageable.
  • It was not charged! I am wondering if there is an issue with some of these as I have read other XL 2's were not charged at the Verizon stores. They even swapped the charger (that was working on an XL) and it would not charge.
I went in leaning towards the 2, and left knowing I would get the 2XL or neither. The 2 just did not feel worth the premium price, a price in the 400 range seemed more appropriate. I will need to go back when the 2XL is charged. If the display is good, I will definitely buy it. However, if it appears non laminated and as muted as the 2, I will pass.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So can anyone who has checked them out confirm if the screen is laminated or not? Unfortunately the Pixel 2 XL at my local Verizon store had a totally dead battery as it didn't seen to be plugged in correctly or something so couldn't tell myself :(

Wait, the XL2 is out in the wild now?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That Masonn guy on Reddit said its laminated but then he goes against the exact definition of lamination by posting that when he looked at it from the sides the screen was halfway up inside the glass which means its not laminated
[doublepost=1507919550][/doublepost]

The display can still be good looking without being laminated. The iPad 2017 doesn’t have lamination and it’s still a very good display. But when compared against the laminated Air 2 you immediately notice the difference. It’s just doesn’t feel as nice once you get used to laminated displays.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well, it is certainly not encouraging that so far nobody can find a nice “healthily” charged Pixel 2 XL. That does indeed sound like an issue. Yikes. Well let’s hope we find out soon what’s going on there. :confused:

If the display is even and doesn’t have an odd color cast and I can adjust the warmth I will be happy. I hope its color calibration is good. I like to shop online so I like to have accurate colors for merchandise.

You guys have given me plenty to evaluate when I get mine, so thank you to all who have scouted the Wild Verizon Pixels and reported back. :p
[doublepost=1507920067][/doublepost]
Wait, the XL2 is out in the wild now?
Sort of. It’s in some Verizon stores.

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
Hi guys This is for the UK people out there I was in carphone warehouse today and they had the pixel 2 and xl 2 on display.

I went out with a dilema today as i have an annual upgrade i can make use of im currently using a 256gb 7 plus so I was really looking forward to the pixel xl 2 and hoping it was gonna live up to expectations for me to preorder. However....

Inital impression I have no problem with bezels i am coming from an iphone it doesnt bother me. I have no issue with the design of the phone the increased display size was a nice plus over the 7 plus. The screen though I was not imrpessed with at all it just seemed dull, like it needs more brightness and pop to it. That was effecting images for me big time on it and I would say the display looked worse than the previous pixel xl which i had a look at a few days ago. I would use a 4k google image on my 7 plus and xl2 and compare and the 7 plus looked a little better. Which is dissapointing as i dont class the iphone as a great display its old news.

The speakers seemed nice so that was a positive!

The cameras.. the front facing was better than my 7 plus but there was no portrate mode on it no idea why i did browse through settings but nothing. The rear camera seemed good but my issue was the damn display not giving you any bright pop to photos outcome.

the phone is smoothe though as expected.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was able to checkout the Pixel 2 at a VZW store today. Very nice phone! Great build materials and nice feel in the hand. The speakers are amazing. But you have to step back a little really hear the stereo front speakers. Next to my 8 plus they sound almost the same until I stepped back a foot then you can really tell the difference in the sound volume and clarity.

I didn’t see any display issues at all. Side viewing angles seem to be normal. The XL 2 display is not as nice as the Samsung displays of course.

Performance was silky smooth as expected. Took a couple of snaps with the camera and it was really fast and pictures were amazing!!

The side bezels were hardly noticeable to be honest. My iPhone 8 plus being my daily driver might have something to do with that :)

Overall I am super impressed and can’t wait to get mine!

Here are some pics

601e09ba4b35a50c617db523e9893e1c.heic

15bc66f0fb2c791beb87e2668ec3b208.heic

1607bae3afa53c703102415ec2ebe941.heic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.