Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
I thought the notch was cute and had a quirky charm when I was looking at the leaked photos with the displays turned off. It’s part of a cute, unique overall shape for the iPhone X as a whole. But when I see screenshots of actual apps running on it, my eyes are constantly drawn to the notch. I hope the reality of using it proves the notch isn’t as distracting as it seems on paper.
[doublepost=1507608309][/doublepost]
My display experience with my S8+ was marred by weeks of dealing with the iridescent pink stain and now resigning myself to living with curved edges. So to me, even the smaller Pixel feels like a lateral move as long as the colors and brightness are decently even across the display.

Stock Android, if it’s all I’ve heard it to be, is definitely worth it to me to give up on wireless charging. Wireless charging is a nice convenience, but I’ll trade it for that AOD that tells me what song is playing.
Did you try one of those notch apps on the Play Store that puts the notch on the screen? I did that for kicks, and it is super distracting.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Oh crud, mine is a release, too. Not a charge. Odd...

I think Google puts on hold the charge when you preorder, then after a week passes, if there isn't a confirmation on the charge, it gets automatically released. Google will probably charge again Oct 17.

That's my guess.

CapitalOne doesnt show the charge but my available balance reflects it.

Reactions: epicrayban

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
That's the size of the OS?! Holy smokes. Call me out of touch, but I thought we were still living in the days of 6GB mobile OS's. I guess I just haven't checked in a while. That, or Android is larger than iOS.

So my 64GB Pixel 2 XL is actually 55GB? :mad:
More like 47 - 50 GB. You never get the full advertised size.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did you try one of those notch apps on the Play Store that puts the notch on the screen? I did that for kicks, and it is super distracting.
No, I haven’t tried that, yet. I figured when my husband gets his iPhone X I’ll see it then. If he gets an iPhone X. I thought for sure he was planning on it.But he has not yet canceled the extra Pixel 2XL he ordered when he was trying to secure a Panda and could get only a black one preordered at first.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
From Reddit:
Pixel XL2 gray screen in dark compared to Note 8 on right (Link)

pGMKw2l.jpg

JXTw9zT.jpg

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Looks alright although the Note 8 screen has more even whites. Can’t notice the banding.

The Note 8 is at 50% brightness in that pic while the Pixel is at 70% yet the Note still looks brighter. That’s one hell of an OLED panel Samsung has.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Thought I'd share this with you guys. My (and probably many others') journey trying to purchase a Google Pixel:

Last year, I tried and failed to secure an OG Pixel after joining the waitlist in November. After waiting two months, I gave up.

The January email is where I accepted defeat and purchased a used Nexus 6P off of eBay. The March email is a notification that the Pixel XL is back in stock on the Google Store. Woopdy doo. The October email is me pre-ordering a Pixel 2 XL last week. Alas, even that preorder will still have me waiting until mid-November.

But hey, at least I'll at last have a Pixel. A full year later. Thanks, Google. :D
pDOhyqg.png

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What i don’t get is that Android Authority reported the V30 to be brighter than the S8 Plus and Note 8 under manual max brightness and this has also been shown in YouTube videos. It was only out in direct sunlight that the Note 8 ramped up to 1000 and beat the V30. It makes no sense that the Note 8 at 50% brightness in dark conditions beats the Pixel 2 XL with 70% brightness.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The difference is HTC is a struggling company. For this to be a main feature for them wasn't going to save them. For Google, it's just another feature on top of the cameras, AI, updates, and services. Google isn't relying as heavily on the squeeze function to sell Pixels.

I wouldn't even say that HTC were relying on it. It was more about the shiney glass back and the fantastic camera that seemed to be the big thing for the U11.

Thankfully Pixel 2 has all this extra stuff to detract from the pretty poor designs. :p

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
From reddit

"don't tell anyone because I don't want to disappoint people but its pretty lack luster. The display just appears really muted. Whether its the colors or the white balance, it just looks not right.
didn't have nearly enough time with it, but the brightness seems limited and I don't think they can fix that with software"

Of course the guy has a Note 8 so maybe he is just used to oversaturated colours.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
From reddit

"don't tell anyone because I don't want to disappoint people but its pretty lack luster. The display just appears really muted. Whether its the colors or the white balance, it just looks not right.
didn't have nearly enough time with it, but the brightness seems limited and I don't think they can fix that with software"

Of course the guy has a Note 8 so maybe he is just used to oversaturated colours.
No one should expect the Pixel line to have a better screen than the Note 8. Samsung is the gold standard of displays.

Reactions: jamezr

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I received the Bellroy caramel leather case today that I purchased for my Pixel 2. Thought I’d share a pic of the case next to my Pixel XL. Again, this is the case for the smaller Pixel 2, which I should be receiving this time next week.

Photos don’t always accurately depict color, but the Bellroy caramel case is basically the same color as a new Saddle iPhone leather case. Just FYI

Attachments

• DC7A6658-AF88-42BB-AA99-E8414688624B.jpeg
    DC7A6658-AF88-42BB-AA99-E8414688624B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I received the Bellroy caramel leather case today that I purchased for my Pixel 2. Thought I’d share a pic of the case next to my Pixel XL. Again, this is the case for the smaller Pixel 2, which I should be receiving this time next week.

Photos don’t always accurately depict color, but the Bellroy caramel case is basically the same color as a new Saddle iPhone leather case. Just FYI

Very tasteful, and looks good quality.

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Wow this is surprising!
So the Pixel 2 isn't too far away from the old Pixel XL in height?!
Interesting.

I am so drawn to this normal sized Pixel I can't explain!

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I absolutely understand and appreciate just about *all* of us have OCD to a certain extent about these devices. we wouldn't be as vocal and passionate about our choices if we didn't care about the minutia. However, reading these posts about the screen differences and I do think people are working way too hard to thread the needle.

Relax, folks. The kind of scrutiny for stuff like this will lead you to dislike virtually every device on the market.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Lag is subjectively experienced but objectively proven to be there with Samsung/Samsung Experience devices. It has been improved with the Note 8 but it still drops frames more often than the Pixel/Pixel XL which is using last year's Snapdragon SoC. So anyone who has been using a Pixel or iPhone will definitely notice it, while a longtime Samsung user, or another skinned version of Android, will undoubtedly say they don't experience any sort of lag at all. Just know that it is there regardless of if you are sensitive to it or not.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Here’s one more pic with the Bellroy sitting inside the Peel case for the OG XL. The width is the biggest difference in the in-hand feel to me. The height isn’t as discernible yet (though it’s just a case and no phone in it yet). The width of the new 2 is why I chose it over the 2 XL. I’ve decided I want something smaller and better for one-handed use as I have average size hands for a male.

As for quality of the Bellroy, it’s not up to the Apple leather case standard, but I like the fit and finish. Nothing over the top, but just a nice, slim profile leather case. The sides are a firm TPU which I think will look good on the phone. The only complaint I have so far of the Bellroy is that they didn’t enclose the bottom of the phone. Since there’s no bottom-firing speakers, that one makes no sense.

Attachments

• 36AD1304-F1AA-4367-B6FB-804BE2493003.jpeg
    36AD1304-F1AA-4367-B6FB-804BE2493003.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.