Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Dude, i'm about to give up on that site for forums. The engine is brutal and crashes constantly.

Also there is a thread saying plastic is "more premium" than glass/metal. Ugh.

Oh I hate all the ads on that site. Sometimes my browser jumps when I am reading something because an ad is loading somewhere on the page.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I think it more an issue for people who have no intention of getting a V30 or Pixel 2.
I think there is a lot of bloggers and YouTube channels that are benefiting from the extra clicks for an issue most will never know that have or not have. The only way people will know is to do something with their phone they would not do during normal everyday use.

Alot of us at night use our phones at low brightness especially when reading in bed. So you think people will not notice this issue...too many instances of "normal usage" where I am near my significant other with low brightness set while browsing or reading. People keep saying it will go unnoticed but real life situations will still bring this up.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Dude, i'm about to give up on that site for forums. The engine is brutal and crashes constantly.

Also there is a thread saying plastic is "more premium" than glass/metal. Ugh.

I can only use android central on tapatalk....sorry but that site does need some help.
[doublepost=1507667348][/doublepost]
I'm not going to lie, it's put me off the XL 2 and the V30 this whole screen thing.
Regardless of whether some have issues and some don't, the issue is very clearly something that can and is happening with these phones, despite actual numbers, so that makes me wary as someone who was potentially very interested in both devices.

I was looking for an excuse outside of the not very nice design of the XL 2 (for my tastes) to make me try a normal sized Pixel 2 first, and I think I've just found it.

Hopefully the issues are not widespread and can be rectified easily in future manufacturing if it proves to be a full fledged problem come the shipping of first batches.

The normal sized pixel 2 has a Samsung 1080p AMOLED screen so at least it will most likely be good quality.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Alot of us at night use our phones at low brightness especially when reading in bed. So you think people will not notice this issue...too many instances of "normal usage" where I am near my significant other with low brightness set while browsing or reading. People keep saying it will go unnoticed but real life situations will still bring this up.

That is still a very narrow use case for most people. Then it won’t bother most people even if they have the issue as they will not even notice it. But it makes for good internet fodder.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Honestly don't care about the bootloader, since I don't root my devices.

The Verizon version is unlocked (in relation to carrier) right? Should have picked that one. Bah.

Still peace of mind to know that the phone is 100% mine, with absolutely no ties to my current Verizon account until I put my SIM in. But that comes at a price -- one additional month to be exact. :D
[doublepost=1507233215][/doublepost]
CONGRATS!

Delivery ETA?
Congratulations! I was refreshing the Google store page when they were announcing the pixel, and the page went live even before they announced pricing. Snagged a 64 gb XL black that is arriving Oct 16th/17th.

Reactions: 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Congratulations! I was refreshing the Google store page when they were announcing the pixel, and the page went live even before they announced pricing. Snagged a 64 gb XL black that is arriving Oct 16th/17th.
Did you do expedited shipping? I think delivery for most people is Oct 19-20

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Pictures will be required, fyi
You mean Mate 9 vs Pixel camera? The Mate 9 does a decent job but the bokeh mode is rather aggressive. Here is a shot of my puppy from today.
d9fb705ea7c5d379804179335656df68.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This reminds me of another phone I had a few years back where everyone was all bent out of shape about light bleed on the screen. Everyone was running to their closets in pitch black to test out their screens on a pure white background. Through this test people noticed some spots of slightly less light in areas. The thread was filled with pics of these blinding white screens in pitch black closets.
Oh Gosh I remember that thread. They also had to record video on slow motion to see these spots, if I remember correctly. I or someone else tried pointing out that recording slow motion video in pitch dark is not a normal reasonable usage of the camera but we got that speech about “We pay so much money for these phones we deserve to have them be perfect.”

Who in their right minds records slow motion videos in pitch darkness to discover something like that in the first place? Other than Kim Kardashian. Oh...oh goodness, you don’t suppose...um, never mind. :oops:

Anyway, why are we worrying about something that hasn’t happened yet? It’s an LG concern, anyway. I know LG makes the big Pixel that doesn’t mean we are set for a huge problem with the Pixel 2XL.

If it does turn out to be something, well thanks to this discussion we know what it is and we will just get together and help each other get refunds and talk about whether we should try again for another big Pixel or switch to the little one. I guess there is the concern for people trading in their phones. For those people, I would advise waiting to see how things shake out once the phones hit the street.

307BA7CD-3EA9-4105-B8EA-F16204BC816A.jpeg

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
What are you currently using? I think it would be great if everyone can do a test shot to compare their current phone to pixel 2 they are buying :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have seen more display issues and less none display issues based on the reddit comments. You can add those up for yourself and notice its more issues than not. I know you rather defend something thats not a great problem to you but their are people actually returning their LG V30 for replacements due to this issue. When you see that, its not right to not put it out there. Even some of the on display units at At&t and verizon in the stores had the issue as well.

Start at 32:40 minutes to see his opinions and he is a pretty honest guy. Furthermore, the Note 8 fingerprint sensor may be in the wrong place for you but aligns perfectly to my index finger and works every time. Even better than the one I had on my S8 plus so thats a none issue for me at least.
I go all ADHD when I try to listen to that guy talk. I don’t know if it’s him or me. Anyway, what I took away from that video, what I saw of it anyway, was that I am glad I decided to put aside my V30 crush and go for stock Android. I can’t wait to try it on my Pixel 2XL.
[doublepost=1507687650][/doublepost]
That is still a very narrow use case for most people. Then it won’t bother most people even if they have the issue as they will not even notice it. But it makes for good internet fodder.
That’s actually one of my use cases since I like to read ebooks and forums at night right before I fall asleep. But if I get a defective display I’ll exchange the phone. No biggie. Really, we don’t need to make this into something like the exploding Note recall dramas. Even that was not the worst thing I’ve ever put up with for a consumer product.

Reactions: v0lume4 and jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Maybe I'm crazy but I'm starting to think the Regular Pixel 2 looks nicer than the XL 2... Yeah the bezels are big but there's something about the XL screen and bezels that look odd.

Yeah, front firing dual-speakers really clashes with the notion of an edge-to-edge screen experience. Plus the squeezable sides -- I wonder if that's the cause of the oddly large side-bezels, too. The whole thing just doesn't look quite right.

The regular Pixel 2 only looks better because we're more familiar with it, I think, but you can't let it off the hook either. Those bezels are pretty big even for a bezel-phone! They appear to be larger than the 5X bezels! Yes, dual-speakers, but they achieved that on the Pixel 2 XL with much less bezels comparatively. It's still something of a mystery to me why the Pixel 2 bezels needed to be this large. Can't wait to see a teardown.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Maybe I'm crazy but I'm starting to think the Regular Pixel 2 looks nicer than the XL 2... Yeah the bezels are big but there's something about the XL screen and bezels that look odd.
I think both models look a little odd, but I like the functionality of them both.

Reactions: epicrayban

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah, front firing dual-speakers really clashes with the notion of an edge-to-edge screen experience. Plus the squeezable sides -- I wonder if that's the cause of the oddly large side-bezels, too. The whole thing just doesn't look quite right.

The regular Pixel 2 only looks better because we're more familiar with it, I think, but you can't let it off the hook either. Those bezels are pretty big even for a bezel-phone! They appear to be larger than the 5X bezels! Yes, dual-speakers, but they achieved that on the Pixel 2 XL with much less bezels comparatively. It's still something of a mystery to me why the Pixel 2 bezels needed to be this large. Can't wait to see a teardown.
I wonder if its possible to do front facing speakers in the same style as the essential phone? It managed to have a front facing earpiece blend right into frame.

Reactions: epicrayban

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Just some tidbits from the ama. It's resuming tomorrow.

• Didn't order the phone, was given it by a Google Employee (relative)
  • It is 128gb
  • Has notification LED, no answer on if it's white or multi colored
  • Hasn't tested fingerprint sensor
  • It is running 8.0.0
  • Metal speaker grill
  • OS takes up 11gb
  • When asked to see if it has screen issues like V30: "Not that I have found"
  • Feels same thickness as iPhone 7

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.