Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Maybe I'm crazy but I'm starting to think the Regular Pixel 2 looks nicer than the XL 2... Yeah the bezels are big but there's something about the XL screen and bezels that look odd.

Yeah the XL2 bezels look weird, the top bezel is bigger and of course the side ones are fairly massive for 2017. I think it will look much better in person though, or at least I'm hoping. But I'll take functionality any day of the week over aesthetics, and the regular pixel 2 functionally has those huge bezels, I don't care how symmetrical they are.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I go all ADHD when I try to listen to that guy talk. I don’t know if it’s him or me. Anyway, what I took away from that video, what I saw of it anyway, was that I am glad I decided to put aside my V30 crush and go for stock Android. I can’t wait to try it on my Pixel 2XL.
[doublepost=1507687650][/doublepost]
That’s actually one of my use cases since I like to read ebooks and forums at night right before I fall asleep. But if I get a defective display I’ll exchange the phone. No biggie. Really, we don’t need to make this into something like the exploding Note recall dramas. Even that was not the worst thing I’ve ever put up with for a consumer product.

Yeah I agree, it's not a narrow use case at all. I use my phones in the dark all the time, my wife snoozes well before I do. I may just browse the web, or use an app, read a book, etc. I'll have my brightness down to very low levels, especially with the very bright themes apple and google are so fond of these past few years. I know I'm not alone and would bet the vast majority of consumers have or regularly use their phones in the dark.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I hope we're able to remap it with an app similar to bxactions on my S8 / Note 8. I'd love for it to be a flashlight launcher. or maybe toggle vibrate/sound mode for meetings, etc.

Does stock Android even have this feature? When I had the Pixel 1st gen, I did not see this feature. Did Android O add it yet?
[doublepost=1507754444][/doublepost]
I want it to launch the camera.

Is this better than double tapping the power button?
[doublepost=1507754568][/doublepost]
So who is going to disable the squeezable sides until it gets rooted and remapped?

I'll probably disable it and just use the hot words

I might, too.

It's just so damn redundant to have yet another way to access Google Assistant. Can't you already long press the home button? Plus voice activation. Plus the search bar at the bottom now whenever you're at your home screens.

How many more ways must Google have to launch the assistant?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I'm personally excited for the squeeze feature. I use Google Assistant all the time, and I have gotten rather sick of saying, "OK, Google." However, turning on my phone screen and swiping up from the microphone icon is a little cumbersome at times. The squeeze will be a happy middle ground. :p

Any word on if we can change the "OK, Google" phrase yet? Even "Hey, Google" (which is the activation phrase on the Google Home) is so much easier to say.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Much easier IMO. One action as opposed to two. Easier to squeeze a phone than find a button and press it twice. Yes, I know it's not much quicker but it would be useful IMO. :D

I think you're right. Your hand position is already holding onto the sides.

Either way, hope there will eventually be a way to remap it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Does stock Android even have this feature? When I had the Pixel 1st gen, I did not see this feature. Did Android O add it yet?

I don't recall on stock android. I think it might be a form of DND (do not disturb) / priority, etc. But either way, I'd like to go from normal mode to vibrate mode quickly. That's why I love the toggle on iPhones or the slider on OnePlus phones.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Woah, a charge from Google for the two Pixel 2's I preordered has shown up on my credit card account.

It's almost time for shipments!

Edit: Oops, nope. It's actually a release. Google will probably charge again Oct 17. Got excited for nothin'!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Here you go guys a first hands on vid

I’m glad to hear about the buttery smoothness of the Pixel’s performance. I’ve been having a time of it with my iPhone 7 Plus and my IPad mini 4. My IPad Pro isn’t on iOS 11 yet. It was supposed to be the first device I’d put on iOS 11 and then I decided to wait on that. My S8+ has been lagging badly, too. I didn’t download any new apps so I’m not sure what’s going on. Maybe Pokémon Go is misbehaving again. I don’t remember using that app recently.

With my iPad mini the way it’s acting up and freezing it almost seems like something is consuming all the RAM and not freeing it up when it’s supposed to. I can keep only a handful of browser tabs open.

I’d just like something to work. iOS 11 has been kind of a wild ride so far.

Oh yeah I also use Shazam all the time. It’s going to be great having the music identifier always on. As long as Google isn’t using that listening ability to hear me sing while doing laundry!

Reactions: deany

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I love the way now Pixel has squeezy sides everyone can't wait but when HTC U11 did it everyone was all GIMICK, JOKE, HTC IS DEAD. :D.

I personally thought the same until I read some use cases from U11 uses suxhs as using it for a screen shot, turning on the flash light or silencing the phone.
Glad to see it in the Pixels. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I love the way now Pixel has squeezy sides everyone can't wait but when HTC U11 did it everyone was all GIMICK, JOKE, HTC IS DEAD. :D.

I personally thought the same until I read some use cases from U11 uses suxhs as using it for a screen shot, turning on the flash light or silencing the phone.
Glad to see it in the Pixels. :)

The difference is HTC is a struggling company. For this to be a main feature for them wasn't going to save them. For Google, it's just another feature on top of the cameras, AI, updates, and services. Google isn't relying as heavily on the squeeze function to sell Pixels.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I want it to scream "ouch" :eek: just for kicks and grins lol. Screen shot would be useful.

I just noticed the pending charge was dropped from last week and funds released back to my account. Not sure what this means other then not ready to ship yet.

Oh crud, mine is a release, too. Not a charge. Odd...

I think Google puts on hold the charge when you preorder, then after a week passes, if there isn't a confirmation on the charge, it gets automatically released. Google will probably charge again Oct 17.

That's my guess.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Oh crud, mine is a release, too. Not a charge. Odd...

I think Google puts on hold the charge when you preorder, then after a week passes, if there isn't a confirmation on the charge, it gets automatically released. Google will probably charge again Oct 17.

That's my guess.
Yeah I think you're right. I got charged the full amount for my Pixel 2 XL preorder + device protection at the time of my preorder -- fast forward a few days and turns out the charge did NOT post. It's as if the charge never occurred.

I think it's more of a "check" to see if the payment goes through, so that when shipment time rolls around, they can be sure that the final charge isn't going to bounce.

Reactions: epicrayban

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Is there any details on if the pixel xl 2 will record videos with stereo audio?
I’ve been trying to find out. Frustratingly, those folks who do the camera comparisons will dub over the sound with music tracks instead of letting us here how the audio sounds. Judging from the few sound samples I’ve managed to hear so far, it does not record in stereo audio, but the sound is still much louder and more clear than the audio we get from an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.