Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Storage benchmarks using Androbench

Results: Sequential Read - 765.39 mb/s Sequential Write - 199.82 mb/s Random Read - 168.56 mb/s Random Write - 17.74 mb/s SQLite Insert - 571.07 QPS, 3.58 seconds SQLite Update - 780.25 QPS, 2.61 seconds SQLite Delete - 889.06 QPS, 2.30 seconds

Reactions: deany

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Apparently Verizon stores now have the Pixel 2 and 2 XL out on the floor in demo. Has anyone gone by to see them in person? I figured I’d swing by sometime this afternoon to give them a look see.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Apparently Verizon stores now have the Pixel 2 and 2 XL out on the floor in demo. Has anyone gone by to see them in person? I figured I’d swing by sometime this afternoon to give them a look see.
Some have been to the VZW stores on AC

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...-verizon-store-post-your-thoughts-here-2.html

Here is a pic of the Kinda Blue...

5c804a4e799dd0a219cf2e6915224b86.jpg

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
LG V30 vs Pixel XL 2 on lower brightness. Strangely at its lowest brightness it's much brighter than the V30. The V30 panel has truly horrible banding

wow, like night and day. but that is pretty bright for lowest setting. At least according to the picture, may not be too bright in person.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
wow, like night and day. but that is pretty bright for lowest setting. At least according to the picture, may not be too bright in person.
Now I just need to know how bright it gets outside. The V30 gets around 880 nits outside. Will this be more brighter even in that scenario?
[doublepost=1507835781][/doublepost]Some more pics of XL2.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/v2yEB
[doublepost=1507836759][/doublepost]The V30 at 60% brightness looks the same as the Pixel. So can't say if the issue is there or not

6kvG5Qk.jpg

Reactions: co.ag.2005

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Some have been to the VZW stores on AC

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...-verizon-store-post-your-thoughts-here-2.html

Here is a pic of the Kinda Blue...

5c804a4e799dd0a219cf2e6915224b86.jpg
Thanks for posting this picture. After doing some thinking from the Google event until now, I'm actually leaning towards jumping into the Pixel 2 and picking up the "Kinda Blue" as I really like the way that looks. It's a much different color from any other phone I've owned, so that's why I'm enticed by it. I'd likely get a clear case for it so I could still see the color while having the protection from accidental drops. I'm hoping that since this is HTC's second version of the Pixel, I won't have any microphone issues with it and/or charging issues like I had with my first Pixel.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I got some hands on time this morning at Verizon. I walked away unimpressed.

Google has really failed in the design front.

The Pixel 2 XL's borders are even worse in person. Especially the side bezels. They're just so noticeably thick. If it's true the side bezels are that thick because of Active Edge, then I think Active Edge was a big mistake to include. And if they're not that thick because of the Active Edge then I really don't trust Google's design team. It's straight up ugly, like there's an odd case around it. It reminds me of those security cases that house and hide the design of an unreleased phone.

The top and bottom bezels surprisingly did not bother me. Speakers sounded clear and loud though the store was quiet because it was still pretty early in the day. The screen itself seemed fine and good. Really didn't notice anything too glaring, but I still think my S8 screen looked better when held up side by side. Maybe it's the bezels? The Pixel screen just didn't "pop" as much, and it was at full brightness.

Moving onto the regular Pixel 2, I found it poorly designed, too. The bezels cannot be understated -- they are astronomically large. When I say this looks like a phone from 2016, I mean it really looks like a phone from 2016. Even the side bezels here are a bit thick (you don't really see it in pictures, but they're rather big, too). The Pixel 2 looks and feels dated the moment you pick it up, almost as if it's a budget phone more than a $650 flagship. The screen feels tiny and not just because it's 5" but also because the bezels are rather distracting. Yes, the stereo speakers sound great -- clear and crisp like the bigger model -- but even then I don't think the bezels needed to be that big, did they? How did they achieve dual speakers on the XL model with significantly smaller top/bottom bezels?

Both phones also feel shockingly light, too, adding to the budget phone-feel on the Pixel 2 model. The backs do feel oddly plastic-y like some early reviews have mentioned.

I'm sorry to say both models just feel and look kind of cheap. In the front, you have unsightly bezels in various ways, and on the back, the uneven two-tone look doesn't quite capture the same quirky and lovable design as the first gen Pixel's more evenly divided two-tone look. That had character. This feels imbalanced.

I'll dive into it more when mine actually arrives at home. I'll be testing the cameras especially. But so far, it looks like I'm unlikely to switch. I really want to like this phone, but I think Google really stumbled on the design front. The pictures don't do them justice, in that they're even uglier in person. Sadly.

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I got some hands on with the pixels st the Verizon store too...Sort of. The Pixel 2 XL battery was dead so I was only able to power it on and see the screen for a few seconds. As mentioned by epicrayban the side bezels are indeed large. Compared to my Nexus 6p the side bezels are noticeable larger. For me I don't mind since I always had accidental touches on my 6p from my palm especially using YouTube.
I actually love the feeling of the phone and how light it feels. Sometimes I wish my 6p did not feel as heavy and was considering downsizing to the Pixel 2 for this reason.

The pixel 2 I was able to test and it was really snappy which is expected. I was trying to do portrait mode on the front camera but for some reason there was not an option to use portrait on the front camera. The bezels know the pixel 2 is the exact length of the bezels on the 6p. Hopefully that gives some of you ex 6p owners an idea. The screen on the pixel 2 was not over saturated at all and seem muted. I prefer a lil bit of over saturation.

All in all, I walked away convinced that I will be getting the pixel 2 xl. I didn't like how it looked in pictures but in person I love it and the feel. The side bezels are big but doesn't matter to me. Nothing imo beats stock android so that will always be a huge deciding factor in me buying a phone.

Perfect phone would be lg v30 design (with dual speakers), note 8 screen and pixel for everything else.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
All this talk of looks but I’m more concerned with how it performs. Looks would just be an added bonus.

Performance seemed great. No surprises there. I didn't have much time to test the software. That'll happen more closely when they actually arrive.

[doublepost=1507850883][/doublepost]
I got some hands on with the pixels st the Verizon store too...Sort of. The Pixel 2 XL battery was dead so I was only able to power it on and see the screen for a few seconds. As mentioned by epicrayban the side bezels are indeed large. Compared to my Nexus 6p the side bezels are noticeable larger. For me I don't mind since I always had accidental touches on my 6p from my palm especially using YouTube.
I actually love the feeling of the phone and how light it feels. Sometimes I wish my 6p did not feel as heavy and was considering downsizing to the Pixel 2 for this reason.

The pixel 2 I was able to test and it was really snappy which is expected. I was trying to do portrait mode on the front camera but for some reason there was not an option to use portrait on the front camera. The bezels know the pixel 2 is the exact length of the bezels on the 6p. Hopefully that gives some of you ex 6p owners an idea. The screen on the pixel 2 was not over saturated at all and seem muted. I prefer a lil bit of over saturation.

All in all, I walked away convinced that I will be getting the pixel 2 xl. I didn't like how it looked in pictures but in person I love it and the feel. The side bezels are big but doesn't matter to me. Nothing imo beats stock android so that will always be a huge deciding factor in me buying a phone.

Perfect phone would be lg v30 design (with dual speakers), note 8 screen and pixel for everything else.

Yes, muted is a great word to describe the Pixel screens. Even at full brightness, something about them felt muted.

Reactions: 5105973

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Performance seemed great. No surprises there. I didn't have much time to test the software. That'll happen more closely when they actually arrive.

Yes, muted is a great word to describe the Pixel screens. Even at full brightness, something about them felt muted.
I assuming since you said pixels that includes the Pixel 2xl? Unfortunately as soon as I powered on the pixel 2 xl and it loads to the home screen it died so wasn't able to tell. Highly doubt srgb mode was enabled since you have to unlock developer options.

Reactions: epicrayban

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I absolutely understand and appreciate just about *all* of us have OCD to a certain extent about these devices. we wouldn't be as vocal and passionate about our choices if we didn't care about the minutia. However, reading these posts about the screen differences and I do think people are working way too hard to thread the needle.

Relax, folks. The kind of scrutiny for stuff like this will lead you to dislike virtually every device on the market.

I think the screen concerns are valid. Some of us are currently using Samsung devices with perfect screens and are just wanting to switch to stock Android without sacrificing hardware. I, personally, don't feel like I could switch to the Pixel 2 XL or V30 based on the currently available information.

The S8 screen is just too perfect for me to risk getting something that isn't bright enough or has any banding at all at low brightness. I will not accept even a little bit of banding as I hated that when using low-quality LCDs and am finally free of it with my S8. Banding is the sign of a low-quality display -- not something you pay top dollar for.

For example, here is a pic someone posted of a V30. This looks like a cheap, POS LCD. Not acceptable for the amount of money.

https://i.imgur.com/1GSaFBP.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's about the more immersive and better quality screen experience.

Going back to even an awkwardly done bezel-less phone like the 2 XL feels like a downgrade. Nevermind the regular Pixel 2.

Dual speakers can be done, and apparently done well if you consider the iPhone 8, without impeding on the screen experience.

You really feel the downgrade.

Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
It's about the more immersive and better quality screen experience.

Going back to even an awkwardly done bezel-less phone like the 2 XL feels like a downgrade. Nevermind the regular Pixel 2.

Dual speakers can be done, and apparently done well if you consider the iPhone 8, without impeding on the screen experience.

You really feel the downgrade.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I haven't seen it in person but it does feel like it would be a downgrade in regards to bezels and display. And it's very frustrating because I love my S8's hardware but I want to be on stock Android badly -- and the Pixel's camera seems so good. There just isn't a perfect phone yet. Maybe next year...

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I got some hands on time this morning at Verizon. I walked away unimpressed.

Google has really failed in the design front.

The Pixel 2 XL's borders are even worse in person. Especially the side bezels. They're just so noticeably thick. If it's true the side bezels are that thick because of Active Edge, then I think Active Edge was a big mistake to include. And if they're not that thick because of the Active Edge then I really don't trust Google's design team. It's straight up ugly, like there's an odd case around it. It reminds me of those security cases that house and hide the design of an unreleased phone.

The top and bottom bezels surprisingly did not bother me. Speakers sounded clear and loud though the store was quiet because it was still pretty early in the day. The screen itself seemed fine and good. Really didn't notice anything too glaring, but I still think my S8 screen looked better when held up side by side. Maybe it's the bezels? The Pixel screen just didn't "pop" as much, and it was at full brightness.

Moving onto the regular Pixel 2, I found it poorly designed, too. The bezels cannot be understated -- they are astronomically large. When I say this looks like a phone from 2016, I mean it really looks like a phone from 2016. Even the side bezels here are a bit thick (you don't really see it in pictures, but they're rather big, too). The Pixel 2 looks and feels dated the moment you pick it up, almost as if it's a budget phone more than a $650 flagship. The screen feels tiny and not just because it's 5" but also because the bezels are rather distracting. Yes, the stereo speakers sound great -- clear and crisp like the bigger model -- but even then I don't think the bezels needed to be that big, did they? How did they achieve dual speakers on the XL model with significantly smaller top/bottom bezels?

Both phones also feel shockingly light, too, adding to the budget phone-feel on the Pixel 2 model. The backs do feel oddly plastic-y like some early reviews have mentioned.

I'm sorry to say both models just feel and look kind of cheap. In the front, you have unsightly bezels in various ways, and on the back, the uneven two-tone look doesn't quite capture the same quirky and lovable design as the first gen Pixel's more evenly divided two-tone look. That had character. This feels imbalanced.

I'll dive into it more when mine actually arrives at home. I'll be testing the cameras especially. But so far, it looks like I'm unlikely to switch. I really want to like this phone, but I think Google really stumbled on the design front. The pictures don't do them justice, in that they're even uglier in person. Sadly.

Was the display laminated?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Was the display laminated?

Don't believe so.
[doublepost=1507859365][/doublepost]
Yeah, I feel the same way. I haven't seen it in person but it does feel like it would be a downgrade in regards to bezels and display. And it's very frustrating because I love my S8's hardware but I want to be on stock Android badly -- and the Pixel's camera seems so good. There just isn't a perfect phone yet. Maybe next year...

I don't want to be on stock that badly per se, but it's obviously very good and still feature-rich. I'm way more interested in the camera and unlimited Photos backup.

Otherwise, I feel the same way.

I'll know more when they actually arrive...

Reactions: Radon87000

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I will have to get some hands on with the display unit. Can’t stand a non laminated display and at that price I shouldn’t have to.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

I assuming since you said pixels that includes the Pixel 2xl? Unfortunately as soon as I powered on the pixel 2 xl and it loads to the home screen it died so wasn't able to tell. Highly doubt srgb mode was enabled since you have to unlock developer options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.