Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabioroberto

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
Hey Fabio,

First of all, thanks for sharing this with others. It really saved my computer (and my sanity). I was using the gfx app until it stopped working with High Sierra.

Now back to what I would like to know:
I'm still on High Sierra, but I would like to install Mojave so I can update my Logic app.
I can successfully install Mojave using a hack available online, since my computer is not supported anymore (Mid2010, of course), but the issue is that when I try to login, the computer restarts. I was able to login maybe 2-3 times, but the SIP was enabled and so I couldn't apply the patch. And then it just wouldn't let me login.

My question: is it possible to apply the patch, maybe manually through Terminal, using the Safe Mode (disclaimer: I'm not a computer expert, I just know things here and there, so bear with me... haha).
The way I was able to go to the Terminal, since I couldn't go into Recovery Mode, was to boot with a USB drive with the Mojave installer. I saw that Terminal showed, in the beginning, the word "bash". I have no idea what that is.

So I was wondering if it's possible to access files that way and if so, how can I do it to apply the patch?
I saw that for Mojave, there's only one file to download (AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext) so I was wondering if I could upload that file via Terminal or if the changes can be done via Terminal.

Hope it makes sense and I appreciate your time. If not Fabio, maybe someone can give me a hand? Again, I'm no expert at all, so please, go easy on the suggestions hahaha

Thank you all! ?
Hi!!

Yes. You can boot with the macOS USB installer (High Sierra or Mojave).
Open the terminal and type:
csrutil disable (press enter)

Restart.
The SIP will be disabled.
You can now install the fix.

Try this and tell me if you have succeeded.

iamdannywyatt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Hi!!

Yes. You can boot with the macOS USB installer (High Sierra or Mojave).
Open the terminal and type:
csrutil disable (press enter)

Restart.
The SIP will be disabled.
You can now install the fix.

Try this and tell me if you have succeeded.

Hey Fabio!

Thanks for the quick reply!
Sorry, maybe my post wasn't clear...
My issue is that once I restart the computer, when it gets to the login screen, it crashes and restarts, over and over again. I'm not able to apply the fix at all.

So my question is: when I disable the SIP using the method you described can I also apply the fix using that same Terminal window? Or maybe accessing the macOS files so I can upload the one you provide?

Hope it's clear now and you can show me if/how to do it ?

Really appreciate your time and help!
Thanks!

fabioroberto

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
Hey Fabio!

Thanks for the quick reply!
Sorry, maybe my post wasn't clear...
My issue is that once I restart the computer, when it gets to the login screen, it crashes and restarts, over and over again. I'm not able to apply the fix at all.

So my question is: when I disable the SIP using the method you described can I also apply the fix using that same Terminal window? Or maybe accessing the macOS files so I can upload the one you provide?

Hope it's clear now and you can show me if/how to do it ?

Really appreciate your time and help!
Thanks!
Hi!
I'm sorry for this.

Yes, you can install using the terminal in Safe Mode.
Download this attached file and keep it in the downloads folder. (Unzip if necessary)
Open the terminal (safe mode) and type:
sudo sh ~/Downloads/default.sh (press enter)

Wait to finish and reboot.

Attachments

• default.sh.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 215

iamdannywyatt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Hi!
I'm sorry for this.

Yes, you can install using the terminal in Safe Mode.
Download this attached file and keep it in the downloads folder. (Unzip if necessary)
Open the terminal (safe mode) and type:
sudo sh ~/Downloads/default.sh (press enter)

Wait to finish and reboot.

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply and solution! ?

Ok so a few things:
1 - If I do a clean install of Mojave, then I won't be able to even get to the Downloads folder, because of that issue: when I try to login, it restarts (maybe the Safe Mode bypasses the graphics issue, I don't know... does it?). Is there a solution around that (in case Safe Mode doesn't fix that issue)? Maybe typing the text you sent me directly into Terminal when booting from the USB installer, right after I disable the SIP? It would take forever, yes, but would that work?

2 - I've downloaded the 10.14.AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip file that you provided before (https://www.dropbox.com/s/555lmehxvouiieu/10.14.AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip?dl=0). If I find a way to just replace the original AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext that is included with Mojave installer with this one from Dropbox, will that be the same as applying your fix?

Sorry about all the questions, but since I'm not an expert at this, I don't want to mess up anything like I almost did a few days ago when I thought I wasn't able to use my computer ever again when it went into this loop of restarting and crashing... don't wanna go through that again haha

So I'm sending you 4 files in attachment and maybe you can enlighten me a bit more:
- file 1 is the original file that I kept as a backup, before applying the fix
- file 2 is the file that I have now on my computer and is making my computer login and work properly, after applying the MBP 0.6.1 fix
- file 3 is the file that you provided via dropbox (for 10.14.6)
- file 4 is the code you just sent me as a script

I was wondering if so far everything is the way it's supposed to be? I was checking the other files and compared them to your code and the fixed file doesn't seem to change those integers to 2, and yet, it's also working, so that got me a bit confused about what the app is really doing compared to changing the code manually...

Hope everything makes sense anyway haha
As I mentioned, I want to do it properly without messing around with whatever I have now. I will perform a first test on another internal hard drive I have, with a clean install of Mojave, just to see how it goes, just in case ?
But once I see that it works (hopefully) I want to do it on my main hard drive, without any issues, you know what I mean? So it's important for me that all steps are done properly and I understand what the hell I am doing haha

Thanks again, Fabio, and hope you can answer my questions and enlighten me a bit more ?

Attachments

• FilesMacBookFix.zip
    373.7 KB · Views: 174

fabioroberto

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
Hi,

Thanks again for your reply and solution! ?

Ok so a few things:
1 - If I do a clean install of Mojave, then I won't be able to even get to the Downloads folder, because of that issue: when I try to login, it restarts (maybe the Safe Mode bypasses the graphics issue, I don't know... does it?). Is there a solution around that (in case Safe Mode doesn't fix that issue)? Maybe typing the text you sent me directly into Terminal when booting from the USB installer, right after I disable the SIP? It would take forever, yes, but would that work?

2 - I've downloaded the 10.14.AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip file that you provided before (https://www.dropbox.com/s/555lmehxvouiieu/10.14.AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip?dl=0). If I find a way to just replace the original AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext that is included with Mojave installer with this one from Dropbox, will that be the same as applying your fix?

Sorry about all the questions, but since I'm not an expert at this, I don't want to mess up anything like I almost did a few days ago when I thought I wasn't able to use my computer ever again when it went into this loop of restarting and crashing... don't wanna go through that again haha

So I'm sending you 4 files in attachment and maybe you can enlighten me a bit more:
- file 1 is the original file that I kept as a backup, before applying the fix
- file 2 is the file that I have now on my computer and is making my computer login and work properly, after applying the MBP 0.6.1 fix
- file 3 is the file that you provided via dropbox (for 10.14.6)
- file 4 is the code you just sent me as a script

I was wondering if so far everything is the way it's supposed to be? I was checking the other files and compared them to your code and the fixed file doesn't seem to change those integers to 2, and yet, it's also working, so that got me a bit confused about what the app is really doing compared to changing the code manually...

Hope everything makes sense anyway haha
As I mentioned, I want to do it properly without messing around with whatever I have now. I will perform a first test on another internal hard drive I have, with a clean install of Mojave, just to see how it goes, just in case ?
But once I see that it works (hopefully) I want to do it on my main hard drive, without any issues, you know what I mean? So it's important for me that all steps are done properly and I understand what the hell I am doing haha

Thanks again, Fabio, and hope you can answer my questions and enlighten me a bit more ?
I explain:These modifications keep the nvidia gpu clock (g-state) fluctuation at the safe level. The real problem is not in the nvidia gpu, but in Framebuffer voltage fluctuation. One bad tantalum capacitor break the "safe" voltage change. When voltage change from 1.05v to 1.806 the capacitor fails. So logic board is perfect, exception this capacitor.
Well, the .kext fix is to keep the GPU always into g-state 2 (or 3), when the voltage is 1.05v. This is the diference, only.

I attatched the 10.14.6 edited.

You can copy the kext from other external drive to main drive into Recovery Mode.
For example: mv -f /Volumes/External_Drive_Name/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/HD_Drive_Name/System/Library/Extensions/

Restart.
Boot into Single User (Command + S). Type:
/sbin/mount -uw / (enter)
kextcache -i / (enter)
reboot (enter)

Good luck. :cool:

Attachments

• 10.14.6_AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip
    132.5 KB · Views: 186

JestaDubstep

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
@fabioroberto

I'm really **** and not technical at all. I keep having issues with my MBP 2010 model randomly crashing and restarting itself twice. i could really use some help in sorting this out. I have tried following things from this thread but its all alien to me. Would really appreciate some help and you helping to dumb it down for me bro. Please email me at michaeldavidgreen@hotmail.com if you have the patience to try and help dude. Would really appreciate it. Seriously.

:)

Mike

iamdannywyatt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
@fabioroberto

I'm really **** and not technical at all. I keep having issues with my MBP 2010 model randomly crashing and restarting itself twice. i could really use some help in sorting this out. I have tried following things from this thread but its all alien to me. Would really appreciate some help and you helping to dumb it down for me bro. Please email me at michaeldavidgreen@hotmail.com if you have the patience to try and help dude. Would really appreciate it. Seriously.

:)

Mike

Hey Mike!
I used to stress out a lot about this as well, so you're not alone ;)
I'm not technical at all either, but I was able to make my current Mac (mid 2010) and High Sierra to work.
First things first:
1 - What OS are you using?
2 - Have you tried the MBP fix app yet? (https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix/releases/tag/v0.6.1)

Don't stress, my friend. There's a solution for it. Let's just go one step at a time ?
I will be happy to help you with what I know, because I know how annoying it is to work like that...

iamdannywyatt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
I explain:These modifications keep the nvidia gpu clock (g-state) fluctuation at the safe level. The real problem is not in the nvidia gpu, but in Framebuffer voltage fluctuation. One bad tantalum capacitor break the "safe" voltage change. When voltage change from 1.05v to 1.806 the capacitor fails. So logic board is perfect, exception this capacitor.
Well, the .kext fix is to keep the GPU always into g-state 2 (or 3), when the voltage is 1.05v. This is the diference, only.

You can copy the kext from other external drive to main drive into Recovery Mode.
For example: mv -f /Volumes/External_Drive_Name/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/HD_Drive_Name/System/Library/Extensions/

Restart.
kextcache -i / (enter)
reboot (enter)

Hey Fabio

Thanks again for your precious help and time! ?
So a few more questions and I guess I'm good to go on testing... wish me luck haha

1 - Would "cp" work for copying the file instead of moving it? so it would be
cp -f /Volumes/External_Drive_Name/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/HD_Drive_Name/System/Library/Extensions/
(again, I'm not an expert and Terminal for me is totally new for me, but I did some research and found this option)

2 - The code you provided is a single line, right? And if my HD has spaces, then I have to use \ correct? See image below
Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 7.26.50 AM.png

3 - Have you ever watched this video? This guy seemed to have fixed it by replacing a capacitor or something. Do you think this would fix it permanently?

4 - When I update the OS (let's say 10.14.6 to 10.14.7, if that even exists) then I have to replace the file again, right? I think I read that somewhere.

Thanks again SO MUCH for your help, man! Really appreciate it! You're THE MAN! ?

iamdannywyatt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020

Restart.
kextcache -i / (enter)
reboot (enter)

Hi again, Fabio

I'm sorry, but there's something that is not working properly.
So, I have this second internal HD and I've decided to install Mojave there, so I could always go back in case of panic. I can also copy the file from one disk to the other without using Terminal ?

Now here's the issue: even with this file you sent me, I'm getting the same results: the computer restarts.
When I checked both your file and the one that's installed with Mojave by default, they have the exact same Date Created and Date Modified. Can I assume that maybe you sent me the wrong file, unedited? Otherwise it would show the same Date Created, by a different Date Modified, correct?
EDIT: I used a program to check the content and they are indeed different... weird that the Finder shows the exact same dates... and weird that I get the restarts anyway... :(

I was able to login once or twice, but after a while it would crash and restart.
Then I tried the MBP app, it would say "successfully patched" but after a few minutes it would restart as well. So I guess the patch is also not working properly in Mojave...?

Any advice?

Also, what is the purpose of restarting in single user mode and typing that code? Can you explain? Would I need that as well if I only copy-paste the file itself into the proper location?

Thanks ?

Last edited:

JestaDubstep

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
Hey Mike!
I used to stress out a lot about this as well, so you're not alone ;)
I'm not technical at all either, but I was able to make my current Mac (mid 2010) and High Sierra to work.
First things first:
1 - What OS are you using?
2 - Have you tried the MBP fix app yet? (https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix/releases/tag/v0.6.1)

Don't stress, my friend. There's a solution for it. Let's just go one step at a time ?
I will be happy to help you with what I know, because I know how annoying it is to work like that...

Hi Dude. I am on 10.11.6

I have downloaded Julians App.

I booted into recovery and entered the code in terminal to disable SIP.

I then restarted mac and ran Julians patch. I have left SIP disabled and left Julians app in my apps folder. Is this all that i need to do? Im not technical at all. Ive had no more crashes so far so i hope that its working. just wanted to make sure I have done this correctly and not missed any steps or anything. Is that all I need to do, as theres various different ways and means and steps to go about this problem it seems so it all confused and overwhelmed me as little. So basically all I've done is download Julians patch. Boot with cmd and r. Disable SIP in terminal. Restart mac and run Julians patch.

Is that it? Should I be good to go now.

Big thanks to yourself and Julian for all your time and effort helping people, especially those who are useless with this sort of thing like myself, haha.

If that is all I need to do, then is this just a temporary fix, do I still need to find someone to replace the capacitor for me? Or will this patch just continue to work for as long as my macbook lives for?

Many thanks again. You are both legends.

Mike

JestaDubstep

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
Spoke to soon it seems. Just did a double restart on me again dude. Really need some help now. haha. Pulling my hair out. Heres my crash log if it helps.

Anonymous UUID: 0536EEEF-03D3-EC95-7982-D99BF90D47D6

Wed May 20 14:27:08 2020

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff7f8f60dbc9): "GPU Panic: [<None>] 2 3 7f 0 0 0 0 3 : NVRM[0/1:0:0]: Read Error 0x00000100: CFG 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff, BAR0 0xd2000000 0xffffff91294fb000 0x0a5480a2, D0, P3/4\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.12.9.1/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:127
Backtrace (CPU 1), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff811649b160 : 0xffffff800c4dab52
0xffffff811649b1e0 : 0xffffff7f8f60dbc9
0xffffff811649b2c0 : 0xffffff7f8d17fa6a
0xffffff811649b380 : 0xffffff7f8d24c9e8
0xffffff811649b3c0 : 0xffffff7f8d24ca53
0xffffff811649b440 : 0xffffff7f8d4cba85
0xffffff811649b5b0 : 0xffffff7f8d26e711
0xffffff811649b5d0 : 0xffffff7f8d1867e0
0xffffff811649b680 : 0xffffff7f8d184150
0xffffff811649b880 : 0xffffff7f8d185c32
0xffffff811649b950 : 0xffffff7f8eb13de9
0xffffff811649b9b0 : 0xffffff7f8eb13e75
0xffffff811649ba90 : 0xffffff7f8eb0e6d0
0xffffff811649bad0 : 0xffffff7f8eb09e49
0xffffff811649bb00 : 0xffffff7f8eaed30b
0xffffff811649bb50 : 0xffffff800cae1f32
0xffffff811649bb80 : 0xffffff800cae2baa
0xffffff811649bbe0 : 0xffffff800cadfc17
0xffffff811649bd20 : 0xffffff800c598080
0xffffff811649be30 : 0xffffff800c4df2c3
0xffffff811649be60 : 0xffffff800c4c28f8
0xffffff811649bea0 : 0xffffff800c4d26a5
0xffffff811649bf10 : 0xffffff800c5b982a
0xffffff811649bfb0 : 0xffffff800c5ec416
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleMuxControl(3.12.9)[86AD8338-1D9E-397C-B870-C305C7C031FA]@0xffffff7f8f5ff000->0xffffff7f8f612fff
dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl(3.12.9)[0753AF3D-E850-3698-9F36-B22FDBA84803]@0xffffff7f8f5f7000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.4)[5D7574C3-8E90-3873-BAEB-D979FC215A7D]@0xffffff7f8cfb3000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[5F5B9213-0BE4-33DA-9DC6-5859D824DC7D]@0xffffff7f8cd2c000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.4.1)[A360453D-2050-3C49-A549-AC0DD5E87917]@0xffffff7f8d0d7000
dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert(1.1.0)[1D9D8FAB-EC84-330D-AB65-47DFB6C52A91]@0xffffff7f8f5fa000
com.apple.nvidia.classic.NVDAResmanTesla(10.0)[78C84D68-23A9-3597-9AFC-E91B44E5A5B5]@0xffffff7f8d12e000->0xffffff7f8d399fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[5F5B9213-0BE4-33DA-9DC6-5859D824DC7D]@0xffffff7f8cd2c000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.4.1)[4EB2843C-C821-3AD0-B333-575FD6ED6FB1]@0xffffff7f8d11e000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.4.1)[A360453D-2050-3C49-A549-AC0DD5E87917]@0xffffff7f8d0d7000
com.apple.nvidia.classic.NVDANV50HalTesla(10.0)[07A95AE2-5869-3389-ACC8-A9675B47ACA4]@0xffffff7f8d3a5000->0xffffff7f8d650fff
dependency: com.apple.nvidia.classic.NVDAResmanTesla(10.0.0)[78C84D68-23A9-3597-9AFC-E91B44E5A5B5]@0xffffff7f8d12e000
com.apple.GeForceTesla(10.0)[6A9CAF5A-362D-336A-8F00-1DB765119C7D]@0xffffff7f8eab2000->0xffffff7f8eb7dfff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.4.1)[4EB2843C-C821-3AD0-B333-575FD6ED6FB1]@0xffffff7f8d11e000
dependency: com.apple.nvidia.classic.NVDAResmanTesla(10.0.0)[78C84D68-23A9-3597-9AFC-E91B44E5A5B5]@0xffffff7f8d12e000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: iTunes

Mac OS version:
15G22010

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 15.6.0: Thu Jun 21 20:07:40 PDT 2018; root:xnu-3248.73.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64
Kernel UUID: 7564B0E7-EB5D-3887-BA79-59C870165AB1
Kernel slide: 0x000000000c200000
Kernel text base: 0xffffff800c400000
__HIB text base: 0xffffff800c300000
System model name: MacBookPro6,2 (Mac-F22586C8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 9183824246652
last loaded kext at 3966425891560: com.apple.driver.AppleXsanScheme 3 (addr 0xffffff7f8f6fe000, size 32768)
last unloaded kext at 4026475598160: com.apple.driver.AppleXsanScheme 3 (addr 0xffffff7f8f6fe000, size 32768)
loaded kexts:
com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC 1.70
com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor 1.9.5d0
com.apple.driver.AGPM 110.22.0
com.apple.filesystems.autofs 3.0
com.apple.driver.AppleOSXWatchdog 1
com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyHIDDriver 124
com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyDriver 274.12
com.apple.driver.AppleHDA 274.12
com.apple.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient 3.6.1
com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry 1
com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet 1.0.1
com.apple.GeForceTesla 10.0.0
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager 4.4.6f4
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHDGraphics 10.0.0
com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X 7.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleHV 1
com.apple.driver.AppleSMCPDRC 1.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleMCCSControl 1.2.13
com.apple.driver.AppleLPC 3.1
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport 4.4.6f4
com.apple.driver.AppleSMCLMU 208
com.apple.driver.AppleMuxControl 3.12.9
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB 10.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSlowAdaptiveClocking 4.0.0
com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin 1.0.0
com.apple.driver.SMCMotionSensor 3.0.4d1
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCButtons 245.4
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard 245.4
com.apple.driver.AppleIRController 327.6
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCardReader 3.7.1
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless 1.0.0d1
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib 1.0.0
com.apple.BootCache 38
com.apple.iokit.SCSITaskUserClient 3.7.7
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage 2.8.5
com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331 800.21.30
com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet 10.2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI 5.5.4
com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCIPCI 1.0.1
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort 3.1.8
com.apple.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager 161.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons 4.0
com.apple.driver.AppleRTC 2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleHPET 1.8
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS 2.1
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC 4.0
com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC 1.7
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient 218.0.0
com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall 163
com.apple.security.quarantine 3
com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet 8
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement 218.0.0
com.apple.AppleGraphicsDeviceControl 3.12.9
com.apple.kext.triggers 1.0
com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib 274.12
com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib 525
com.apple.iokit.IOSurface 108.3.2
com.apple.nvidia.classic.NVDANV50HalTesla 10.0.0
com.apple.nvidia.classic.NVDAResmanTesla 10.0.0
com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily 11
com.apple.driver.CoreCaptureResponder 1
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusController 1.0.14d1
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport 4.4.6f4
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily 4.4.6f4
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireIP 2.2.6
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI 1.0.14d1
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert 1.1.0
com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport 2.4.1
com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl 3.12.9
com.apple.iokit.IOSlowAdaptiveClockingFamily 1.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController 274.12
com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily 2.4.1
com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily 274.12
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily 204.4
com.apple.vecLib.kext 1.2.0
com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginLegacy 1.0.0
com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily 6.0.0d7
com.apple.driver.AppleSMC 3.1.9
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMultitouch 250.5
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver 900.4.1
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice 3.7.7
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageDriver 1.0.0
com.apple.driver.usb.cdc 5.0.0
com.apple.driver.usb.networking 5.0.0
com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBHostCompositeDevice 1.0.1
com.apple.driver.CoreStorage 517.50.1
com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBHub 1.0.1
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice 3.7.7
com.apple.iokit.IOBDStorageFamily 1.8
com.apple.iokit.IODVDStorageFamily 1.8
com.apple.iokit.IOCDStorageFamily 1.8
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI 2.6.2
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily 3.7.7
com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family 1110.26
com.apple.driver.corecapture 1.0.4
com.apple.iokit.IOEthernetAVBController 1.0.3b3
com.apple.driver.mDNSOffloadUserClient 1.0.1b8
com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily 3.2
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily 4.6.1
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily 2.8.1
com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCI 1.0.1
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily 900.4.1
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily 1.0.1
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHostMergeProperties 1.0.1
com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM 2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime 2.0
com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily 2.0.0
com.apple.iokit.IOSMBusFamily 1.1
com.apple.security.sandbox 300.0
com.apple.kext.AppleMatch 1.0.0d1
com.apple.driver.AppleKeyStore 2
com.apple.driver.AppleMobileFileIntegrity 1.0.5
com.apple.driver.AppleCredentialManager 1.0
com.apple.driver.DiskImages 417.4
com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily 2.1
com.apple.iokit.IOReportFamily 31
com.apple.driver.AppleFDEKeyStore 28.30
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform 4.0
com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily 2.9
com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily 1.4
com.apple.kec.Libm 1
com.apple.kec.pthread 1
com.apple.kec.corecrypto 1.0
Model: MacBookPro6,2, BootROM MBP61.0057.B11, 2 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.58f17
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics, Built-In
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, PCIe, 512 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4D34373142353237334348302D4346382020
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4D34373142353237334348302D4346382020
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x93), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.102.30)
Bluetooth: Version 4.4.6f4, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HTS725050A9A362, 500.11 GB
Serial ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898
USB Device: USB 2.0 Bus
USB Device: Hub
USB Device: IR Receiver
USB Device: Built-in iSight
USB Device: USB 2.0 Bus
USB Device: Hub
USB Device: Card Reader
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
USB Device: BRCM2070 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Thunderbolt Bus:

Really appreciate any help here guys. :(

Mike

iamdannywyatt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Hi Dude. I am on 10.11.6

I have downloaded Julians App.

I booted into recovery and entered the code in terminal to disable SIP.

I then restarted mac and ran Julians patch. I have left SIP disabled and left Julians app in my apps folder. Is this all that i need to do? Im not technical at all. Ive had no more crashes so far so i hope that its working. just wanted to make sure I have done this correctly and not missed any steps or anything. Is that all I need to do, as theres various different ways and means and steps to go about this problem it seems so it all confused and overwhelmed me as little. So basically all I've done is download Julians patch. Boot with cmd and r. Disable SIP in terminal. Restart mac and run Julians patch.

Is that it? Should I be good to go now.

Big thanks to yourself and Julian for all your time and effort helping people, especially those who are useless with this sort of thing like myself, haha.

If that is all I need to do, then is this just a temporary fix, do I still need to find someone to replace the capacitor for me? Or will this patch just continue to work for as long as my macbook lives for?

Many thanks again. You are both legends.

Mike

Hey!

Before I upgraded to High Sierra, I used to have this other tool that worked like a charm (https://gfx.io/). When I upgraded, the tool wouldn't switch when I clicked to switch, sometimes it would take a few minutes for it to recognize it, I guess. That's when I started Googling about it again and found Julian's app. So far, I haven't had any issues with it, since I started using it. I don't have to do anything when I restart my computer, unlike the GFX app that needs to start when your computer starts. Maybe try it first and see how it goes.
The only issue that I encountered with this app was that sometimes it would decide to switch back to the NVIDIA card (go figure...). What I noticed, completely by accident, was that when I had Logic opened or when my Adobe Creative Cloud app was running, it wouldn't switch back to NVIDIA so I started using the Adobe Creative Cloud every time I started my computer and only then start the GFX app. It worked 100% of the time when done this way. I don't know why, but... it worked ?

I would give that a try. I know there are different versions, maybe you need to try some of them until you find one that works for you? I have 5 different versions that I'm sending you in attachment. As I said, try to find older versions as well, just in case.

Regarding the crash report, I really have no idea what that all means... haha
And yes, all you need to do is disable SIP, apply the patch and that's it. I don't know if you need to enable the SIP again or not (maybe someone can answer that), but mine is disabled. I believe that at some point I enabled it again and it still worked. I guess disabling is just necessary to patch the file, maybe...

If I had another computer I would try the capacitor route, but I'm too afraid that it would completely make it useless and I can't afford another one right now, but a lot of people say it's THE solution ?

Attachments

• gfxCardStatus.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 145

JestaDubstep

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
Hey!

Before I upgraded to High Sierra, I used to have this other tool that worked like a charm (https://gfx.io/). When I upgraded, the tool wouldn't switch when I clicked to switch, sometimes it would take a few minutes for it to recognize it, I guess. That's when I started Googling about it again and found Julian's app. So far, I haven't had any issues with it, since I started using it. I don't have to do anything when I restart my computer, unlike the GFX app that needs to start when your computer starts. Maybe try it first and see how it goes.
The only issue that I encountered with this app was that sometimes it would decide to switch back to the NVIDIA card (go figure...). What I noticed, completely by accident, was that when I had Logic opened or when my Adobe Creative Cloud app was running, it wouldn't switch back to NVIDIA so I started using the Adobe Creative Cloud every time I started my computer and only then start the GFX app. It worked 100% of the time when done this way. I don't know why, but... it worked ?

I would give that a try. I know there are different versions, maybe you need to try some of them until you find one that works for you? I have 5 different versions that I'm sending you in attachment. As I said, try to find older versions as well, just in case.

Regarding the crash report, I really have no idea what that all means... haha
And yes, all you need to do is disable SIP, apply the patch and that's it. I don't know if you need to enable the SIP again or not (maybe someone can answer that), but mine is disabled. I believe that at some point I enabled it again and it still worked. I guess disabling is just necessary to patch the file, maybe...

If I had another computer I would try the capacitor route, but I'm too afraid that it would completely make it useless and I can't afford another one right now, but a lot of people say it's THE solution ?

Thanks bud. Same boat. Cant afford a new mac. This ones been so well looked after thats why its so frustrating. So how do i install this other app? And you say I have to open it overtime I start up my mac? Where do i put the files/what do I do with them. I am not sure what capacitor to buy to replace it with, or who would be able to fix this. Especially with lockdown atm etc.

Can you help me with this new app you've sent me and ill try that. Remember you're talking to a computer idiot. Haha

Thanks Fabio

Mike

JestaDubstep

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
Thanks bud. Same boat. Cant afford a new mac. This ones been so well looked after thats why its so frustrating. So how do i install this other app? And you say I have to open it overtime I start up my mac? Where do i put the files/what do I do with them. I am not sure what capacitor to buy to replace it with, or who would be able to fix this. Especially with lockdown atm etc.

Can you help me with this new app you've sent me and ill try that. Remember you're talking to a computer idiot. Haha

Thanks Fabio

Mike

How did you get High Sierra on a 2010 Macbook Pro btw. If Julians app works fine for you on High Sierra then maybe I should try and upgrade to that. App store will only give me El capitan. Is there another way?

Many thanks

Mike

sebadamus

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2020
Had the same issues with my 15-inch Mid 2010 machine. The repair extension program had since expired and because the machine had entered vintage status, replacement parts were no longer available.

I'd already bought soldering tools to repair a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro, so I decided to have a shot at changing the troubled capacitor. Problem solved. Not the easiest repair in the world but it would be a straightforward job for an electronics repairer or anyone skilled with a soldering iron.

This would be the better solution for anyone that isn't content with a temporary software fix, boots between multiple operating systems or needs the use of the higher powered graphics hardware.

Hi iMacC2D,

I read you changed the capacitor to solve the problem, it must give 1,5v am I right? and if it does not its bad?

Is your Mac still working after changing that component?

Thanks for you comments,

Woeste_MacRumors

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2020
Anyone in The Netherlands near Schiphol who did this repair before and have the equipment and knowledge to do this repair ..or can give me some hints if i take the leap myself .
I did electronics (components you could still see and read) when i was 18 but now my vision is much more blurred at my old age 55 .
I was never fan of small electronics / computers and now it hits me because i do not want to give up my MBP 2010 yet.
Kind regards
[automerge]1592735661[/automerge]
Thanks for the advice ... any advice /video on getting the board out without damaging it ? Kind regards .

carolmi

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2020
This thread is a gift. I was getting crazy with the kernel panic. Thank you so much.

I have a question, though. If I erase my hard drive, reset NVRAM and reinstall my MacOS, do I have to install the fix again? (I'm thinking of giving my MacBook to my brother) - computer dummy here.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This thread is a gift. I was getting crazy with the kernel panic. Thank you so much.

I have a question, though. If I erase my hard drive, reset NVRAM and reinstall my MacOS, do I have to install the fix again? (I'm thinking of giving my MacBook to my brother) - computer dummy here.
You install the fix after reinstalling macOS.

stormridersp

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Thank you for this thread and fixes. It seems to be working here. What I would like to ask is how to perform a similar fix when running bootcamp in this same MBP Pro mid 2010?

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.