Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x3sphere

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
The intensity of the grain effect seems to vary a lot depending on the brightness set, at least on my unit (11" Pro). At max brightness, it's hardly visible without pixel peeping, but at lower brightness - especially around 20-30% - I can see it at normal viewing distances.

Overall, the OLED screen is a clear improvement despite this issue for me. Especially in regards to motion, all other iPads I've owned exhibited very noticeable ghosting artifacts. Definitely a bummer though, I don't expect much of a response out of Apple considering no reviews mentioned this at all...

Last edited:

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
I have an 11 M4 Pro and nothing is wrong with mine, but I never seem to have any of these kind of issues.

makrumor

macrumors member
May 8, 2024
Would be helpful if anyone saying „his screen is fine” posted a picture so we have a reference of what to chase.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipaddaro

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I can't see it in a brightly lit store on casual inspection. However, it was too bright in the store to try to see it at low brightness settings.

Arkenangel

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2024
Hey guys ,

iPad Pro 13“ (1tb WiFi) build 04/24
Same Grainy **** Panel 🤢.

My old 2018 12,9“ pro have a better display for me -.-

• Haha
Reactions: canadianpj

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
A fellow forum member @AppelGeenyus kindly shared images of their 11" OLED and LCD iPads taken under similar conditions with the same camera. I've cropped together a comparison image which clearly shows the grain issue, when the iPad is used at a close distance at low brightness levels (approx 20% in these images). The greys on the OLED are made up of a random dither, whilst on the IPS they are smoother and more uniform.

I noticed this immediately on first use under these conditions. I initially thought Apple had intentionally added a texture effect to reduce burn-in or something. Only then did I find the grain threads...

OLEDvsIPS.png

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
A fellow forum member @AppelGeenyus kindly shared images of their 11" OLED and LCD iPads taken under similar conditions with the same camera. I've cropped together a comparison image which clearly shows the grain issue, when the iPad is used at a close distance at low brightness levels (approx 20% in these images). The greys on the OLED are made up of a random dither, whilst on the IPS they are smoother and more uniform.

I noticed this immediately on first use under these conditions. I initially thought Apple had intentionally added a texture effect to reduce burn-in or something. Only then did I find the grain threads...

View attachment 2380468
Looks like Apple/Samsung/LG haven't been able to control the consistency of the OLED pixel brightness at low brightness levels.

I also wonder how much is related to the dual display tech.

AppelGeenyus

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2019

View attachment 2380468
"Some pixels on my god-tier OLED display aren't 100% perfect" is definitely a First World Problem 😅

Reactions: G5isAlive

AppelGeenyus

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2019
Looks like Apple/Samsung/LG haven't been able to control the consistency of the OLED pixel brightness at low brightness levels.

All decent OLED's do this to reduce color banding and issues with near-black uniformity, look up close at any OLED tv from the past few years and you'll see the same thing.

Reactions: G5isAlive and EugW

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I suspect that it’s related, because my Samsung OLED tablet doesn’t exhibit such visible dithering. For me it’s (only) an issue when viewing video at low brightness, so I’ll keep the Samsung for that use case.

Reactions: EugW

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
I suspect that it’s related, because my Samsung OLED tablet doesn’t exhibit such visible dithering.
but… have you tried setting it to minimal brightness and then using a magnifying glass to search for it?

people are spreading FUD in here, unless you get unlucky and receive a bad panel the display is amazing. there is certainly no issue with my 13 inch panel during regular use and believe me I am very meticulous.

I have waited for an OLED iPad since the iPhone X released, so a very long time. If this display was bad after looking forward to it for such a long time I‘d be furious. But it‘s better than I could have hoped for.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
All decent OLED's do this to reduce color banding and issues with near-black uniformity, look up close at any OLED tv from the past few years and you'll see the same thing.
It's not as bad on my OLED TV. I mean it's not great, but the pictures of the iPad Pro screen look worse.

people are spreading FUD in here, unless you get unlucky and receive a bad panel the display is amazing. there is certainly no issue with my 13 inch panel during regular use and believe me I am very meticulous.
This is not FUD. This is an observable difference. Whether or not it is severe enough to notice in your unit and whether or not you care is a different discussion.

Last edited:

MacEroni

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Hello everyone,

My 11 inch iPad Pro M4 512 GB also has this annoying grain. I noticed it straight away and can't unsee this grain. I will have to exchange it. I've attached a photo of the grain taken with my 15P.

Can those who have successfully swapped their iPad for another explain how they did it.
Did you go to the Genius Bar and say you didn't like the grain and get another one straight away? Or did you send it back and order a new one? Thx.

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpeg
    IMG_2946.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 95

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
but… have you tried setting it to minimal brightness and then using a magnifying glass to search for it?
Yes, but the magnifying glass didn’t make a lot of difference. The thing is, at perceptually equal low brightness (20-25% for the iPad), the iPad display looks noisy with fine-grained movement in the noise, which makes for an uncalm appearance, while on the Samsung the picture looks solid and unmoving. Relative to the threshold of what my eyes can see, the Samsung seems to be below that threshold with its temporal dithering, while the iPad is distinctly above. Maybe I’ll dig up my USB microscope next weekend to get clearer evidence.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Hello everyone,

My 11 inch iPad Pro M4 512 GB also has this annoying grain. I noticed it straight away and can't unsee this grain. I will have to exchange it. I've attached a photo of the grain taken with my 15P.

Can those who have successfully swapped their iPad for another explain how they did it.
Did you go to the Genius Bar and say you didn't like the grain and get another one straight away? Or did you send it back and order a new one? Thx.
Apple has a 2 week return policy the iPads came out 5 days ago. Take it back, no reason needs to be given.

MacEroni

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Apple has a 2 week return policy the iPads came out 5 days ago. Take it back, no reason needs to be given.
Thank you for your reply and for pointing out the return period. I'm asking because someone bought the iPad for me and I don't want to annoy them by returning it and buying a new one until I have a solid display. The iPad runs under my Apple ID. Therefore I am asking for the exchange process when the display has this grain.

Kahnforever

Suspended
May 20, 2024

View attachment 2380468
Mein god!

ipaddaro

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2014

View attachment 2380468
It’s the same on Oled iPhones and Apple watches, so it doesn’t seem an issue to me. The lower ppi makes it more visible at the same distance, that’s it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.