Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I put my new MBP to work right away and edited a project in Premiere Pro.
When I used the Adobe Media Encoder the graphics card freaked out and computer crashed.
I went to the Apple Store and they said it's probably a hardware problem.
So I ordered a new one.
I kept the MPB I have now because when I switched over to FCPX everything seems to be working fine.
But the technician said I shouldn't trust it after I showed him the video of it freaking out. I have the
Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

UPDATE: This didn't happen after I created a new project on this MPB. The other project that made the computer crash was created on a MacPro with a NIVIDIA graphics card. Interesting.
But there is still a weird graphics glitch when I restart the computer.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I put my new MBP to work right away and edited a project in Premiere Pro.
When I used the Adobe Media Encoder the graphics card freaked out and computer crashed.
I went to the Apple Store and they said it's probably a hardware problem.
So I ordered a new one.
I kept the MPB I have now because when I switched over to FCPX everything seems to be working fine.
But the technician said I shouldn't trust it after I showed him the video of it freaking out. I have the
Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

did it freeze? i had similar thing happen last night but it froze and the screen was flickering

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
The arrival estimate of the the new MBP is Dec 28th
But the good news it that the Apple stuff was supportive and extended my return policy so I could keep the one I have although it's not working with Premiere. But I switched to FCPX for this project and it works.
[doublepost=1479343194][/doublepost]
did it freeze? i had similar thing happen last night but it froze and the screen was flickering
yeah, screen flickering and freezing.
Crap - might be a whole batch?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The arrival estimate of the the new MBP is Dec 28th
But the good news it that the Apple stuff was supportive and extended my return policy so I could keep the one I have although it's not working with Premiere. But I switched to FCPX for this project and it works.
[doublepost=1479343194][/doublepost]
yeah, screen flickering and freezing.
Crap - might be a whole batch?
happened when i was in photos and used siri. nothing too hard on the system

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
I had the same thing today too! 2.9ghz 15" with 460. I was letting Photos do its thing syncing 13k images, and all of a sudden the whole system locked up and was flashing violently with red/green hues and a sort of checkerboard pattern.

Restarted the lappy and it came back ok (although it had a weird green line through the background during login). I did a clear NVRAM, and rebooted again. Has been fine the past hour, but there is definitely something very wrong. Either hardware (was in dGPU mode as i was plugged in), or software of some sort. Seems to be quite a common issue, so i'm hoping its just software/firmware.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I had the same thing today too! 2.9ghz 15" with 460. I was letting Photos do its thing syncing 13k images, and all of a sudden the whole system locked up and was flashing violently with red/green hues and a sort of checkerboard pattern.

Restarted the lappy and it came back ok (although it had a weird green line through the background during login). I did a clear NVRAM, and rebooted again. Has been fine the past hour, but there is definitely something very wrong. Either hardware (was in dGPU mode as i was plugged in), or software of some sort. Seems to be quite a common issue, so i'm hoping its just software/firmware.
I just posted this thread and the fact that there are already two responses with the same issue worries me.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Would you all mind checking your serial number at http://sndeep.info/en and posting the factory and manufacture date? I'm about to get a speced out 15" and I'm concerned there indeed may be a bad batch.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
With all the people reporting it, it sounds more like software than faulty units.

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
ARGGGG.. Just happened again while I was on the phone to applecare!

IMG_0101.jpg

This time it was slightly different in that it wasn't the usual checkboard pattern, and it was just red, but it was flickering like crazy as shown in the video.

Anyway, Applecare weren't really that helpful. Soonest appointment I could get was for monday afternoon, and I'm sure i won't be able to replicate the issue for the 'geniuses'. The applecare rep seems to think that a replacement via genius bar will result in a much faster turnaround than simply reordering again from the website.

Pretty disappointed I must say. My 2008 Mac Pro has been humming along 24/7 for nearly 9 years with nary a problem, and when I actually get a new mac to replace it, the thing freaks out after 1 day!

Reactions: idunn

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I don't understand why Apple does not expedite the delivery of a replacement unit. They could easily take it out of the pool of MBPs that are being sent to Apple Stores or they could simply bump you up in the line of people waiting for their BTO.
They say they can't because it's a custom order. The tech guy said I should give the online people a call.
[doublepost=1479347029][/doublepost]
ARGGGG.. Just happened again while I was on the phone to applecare!

View attachment 672856

This time it was slightly different in that it wasn't the usual checkboard pattern, and it was just red, but it was flickering like crazy as shown in the video.

Anyway, Applecare weren't really that helpful. Soonest appointment I could get was for monday afternoon, and I'm sure i won't be able to replicate the issue for the 'geniuses'. The applecare rep seems to think that a replacement via genius bar will result in a much faster turnaround than simply reordering again from the website.

Pretty disappointed I must say. My 2008 Mac Pro has been humming along 24/7 for nearly 9 years with nary a problem, and when I actually get a new mac to replace it, the thing freaks out after 1 day!
I had this screen as well.
[doublepost=1479347131][/doublepost]Okay,
but it got better after I did a permissions repair.
Don't ask me why but it's better.
And I avoid the app that caused the problem: Adobe Media Encoder

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
If its happening to multiple people in different scenarios, it could be either an OS/driver issue (which means just wait for an update, its a day 1 product with no real world user data) or it can actually be a faulty batch of GPU's.

Doesn't matter though, all of you have warranty so just go get a new one for free.

EDIT: Everybody run a diagnostic on boot and also check Console to see if there are any red flags pertaining to hardware errors. If you don't see any, it's 99% just a driver/OS issue.

derek916

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
the only graphics glitch I've noticed with my 460 is when I turn on my Mac and click to login once I hit enter and it begins to load the bottom part of the screen glitches out for a second then everything is normal ...
hmmm

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
They say they can't because it's a custom order. The tech guy said I should give the online people a call.

Yes, but trust me, Apple is running an assembly line and producing these things in batches versus one at a time, so they could move you up to the front of the line. Also, Apple stores are receiving various configurations that would be considered BTO as well, so they could snag an allocation from there too.

Just trying to help and I'm sorry that you're going through this. If I were you, I would consider politely elevating the issue at Apple. There really is no reason why you can't receive a replacement within a week or two.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Yes, but trust me, Apple is running an assembly line and producing these things in batches versus one at a time, so they could move you up to the front of the line. Also, Apple stores are receiving various configurations that would be considered BTO as well, so they could snag an allocation from there too.

Just trying to help and I'm sorry that you're going through this. If I were you, I would consider politely elevating the issue at Apple. There really is no reason why you can't receive a replacement within a week or two.
Yes, thanks.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have a thread , see attached pictures, I have an appointment tomorrow with the Genius Bar.

Attachments

• glicth1.jpg
    glicth1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,277
  • glitch2.jpg
    glitch2.jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 1,090
Reactions: gujamin

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
I just returned mine. Trying to decide if I should reorder now and get in line for a replacement or just wait a bit to see how this plays out.

SVTM

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2016
This worries me. I've had a few minor screen hiccups with mine on the Apple boot screen but nothing this bad. Is there anything you guys are able to do that 100% replicates the problem? Would like to test this out on mine.

Last edited:

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
I just returned mine. Trying to decide if I should reorder now and get in line for a replacement or just wait a bit to see how this plays out.

Was hoping to get the factory and manufacture date in case this is in fact a bad batch. Do you still have the serial number?

derek916

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Signing in after a boot up throws some interesting colors then goes away , I have not used many power consuming applications yet so this concerns me . 460 owner here

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

This is concerning, especially given the past issues with dGPU's in MBP's. With those past issues in mind, I really think that the more pragmatic approach here would be to wait a bit and see how it plays out.

Oh yeah ... and story about this on the main MR page in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.