Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
This is concerning, especially given the past issues with dGPU's in MBP's. With those past issues in mind, I really think that the more pragmatic approach here would be to wait a bit and see how it plays out.

I hope this isn't the case, but based on some of the responses so far, I fear that it might be widespread. If so, I truly hope MR reports this front and center.

Reactions: Wreckus and duervo

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I hope this isn't the case, but based on some of the responses so far, I fear that it might be widespread. If so, I truly hope MR reports this front and center.

I think MR will sooner rather than later. Tim Cook and Phil Schiller are going to have a busy Thursday and Friday if it truly is widespread.

Reactions: Mike84

derek916

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
well an hour on the phone getting thrown to different people with apple was completely worthless
basically you're **cked if your BTO Mac has issues . your options are sending it in or having your Apple Store rip it apart and try and fix it ... yippee

Reactions: pier

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
well an hour on the phone getting thrown to different people with apple was completely worthless
basically you're **cked if your BTO Mac has issues . your options are sending it in or having your Apple Store rip it apart and try and fix it ... yippee

Wow! How about a new one shipped over ASAP.

derek916

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Wow! How about a new one shipped over ASAP.
was told no. I'm actually extremely irritated with apple support at the moment and trying to figure out what my best bet is , I really need a computer for my day to day work and the 3 weeks waiting for it to arrive did not help

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
Sorry I didn't save the serial number. If it's any use, I got mine yesterday. It was due on the 17th, then was going to be the 16th, but actually came on the 15th. I ordered it within a minute or two of the store coming online.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
You didn't mention door number three... just return it

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Guys, please RETURN this product if you're experiencing it. Even if you're not, I urge you to - these issues will pop up sooner than later. Then you'll be stuck with a brick worth thousands of dollars, and won't be able to return it. Get the cash, and go elsewhere.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Guys, please RETURN this product if you're experiencing it. Even if you're not, I urge you to - these issues will pop up sooner than later. Then you'll be stuck with a brick worth thousands of dollars, and won't be able to return it. Get the cash, and go elsewhere.

Don't almost every model of MacBook Pro with dGPU has issues?

Reactions: flowave

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Don't almost every model of MacBook Pro with dGPU has issues?

Yup, and it's a god damn shame that literally no tech reviewers copy this. They're lulled by getting these Macbook Pro's early, so saying anything negative is a no-no (Because you won't get the early copy, therefore you won't be able to post the reviews early and get hits). I really hope Apple gets ****ed by this, because having done this from 2010 until now and not getting caught? ****ing shame.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I just returned mine. Trying to decide if I should reorder now and get in line for a replacement or just wait a bit to see how this plays out.

If you can, wait. These issues will be sorted out but early adopters are always "beta testers" for new Apple hardware.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Yup, and it's a god damn shame that literally no tech reviewers copy this. They're lulled by getting these Macbook Pro's early, so saying anything negative is a no-no (Because you won't get the early copy, therefore you won't be able to post the reviews early and get hits). I really hope Apple gets ****ed by this, because having done this from 2010 until now and not getting caught? ****ing shame.

Most tech reviewers only edit YouTube videos and rarely do anything beyond some benchmarks. Like film reviewers they have to be careful what they say otherwise they stop getting freebies and invites.

Early adopters almost always get screwed. Thanks for this information. You are doing a great service to consumers.

This again raises the issue of having laptops impossible to repair. What happens when a component fails outside Apple warranty? The customer is completely ****ed if they can't self service a single part.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Most tech reviewers only edit YouTube videos and rarely do anything beyond some benchmarks. Like film reviewers they have to be careful what they say otherwise they stop getting freebies and invites.

Early adopters almost always get screwed. Thanks for this information. You are doing a great service to consumers.

"Reviewers" on YouTube are a joke. If you go to the product pages of Apple, that is literally these people's scripts. Seriously, watch any of these reviews, and it's just an ad. It's a shame.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
if it keeps happening then its concerning. But having AppleCare plus extra warranty on my credit card for 4 years I'm not really worried about it. If they end up swapping out my computer for a newer model because of this I'm all for it.
[doublepost=1479356245][/doublepost]
They say they can't because it's a custom order. The tech guy said I should give the online people a call.
[doublepost=1479347029][/doublepost]
I had this screen as well.
[doublepost=1479347131][/doublepost]Okay,
but it got better after I did a permissions repair.
Don't ask me why but it's better.
And I avoid the app that caused the problem: Adobe Media Encoder
how do you do permissions repair?

Reactions: SVTM

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
ARGGGG.. Just happened again while I was on the phone to applecare!

View attachment 672856

This time it was slightly different in that it wasn't the usual checkboard pattern, and it was just red, but it was flickering like crazy as shown in the video.

Anyway, Applecare weren't really that helpful. Soonest appointment I could get was for monday afternoon, and I'm sure i won't be able to replicate the issue for the 'geniuses'. The applecare rep seems to think that a replacement via genius bar will result in a much faster turnaround than simply reordering again from the website.

Pretty disappointed I must say. My 2008 Mac Pro has been humming along 24/7 for nearly 9 years with nary a problem, and when I actually get a new mac to replace it, the thing freaks out after 1 day!

"Pretty disappointed I must say. My 2008 Mac Pro has been humming along 24/7 for nearly 9 years with nary a problem"

Why replace it?

Reactions: alvindarkness

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, Apple should have devoted more time and attention to thoroughly testing the product instead of focusing on overpriced hardcover books and redesigned peach emoticons.

No doubt this new MacBook 'Pro' will go down as a disappointing failure. Soldered memory, soldered SSD, gimmicky touchbar, lack of ports, obvious GPU overheating problems. Oh yeah, and obscenely overpriced.

What the HELL happened to Apple?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

This again raises the issue of having laptops impossible to repair. What happens when a component fails outside Apple warranty? The customer is completely ****ed if they can't self service a single part.

So Youtube is to blame for these problems? Apple releases buggy crap and you blame it on a third party?

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
if it keeps happening then its concerning. But having AppleCare plus extra warranty on my credit card for 4 years I'm not really worried about it. If they end up swapping out my computer for a newer model because of this I'm all for it.
[doublepost=1479356245][/doublepost]
how do you do permissions repair?

Paying $200-400, on top of Apple MAYBE (This is not even guaranteed) to swap out your computer, all whilst having to deal with these issues for that time? Not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.