Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next-generation iPad Pro will launch alongside a redesigned Magic Keyboard accessory that makes the device more laptop-like, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

ipad-pro-2022.jpg

Last week, Gurman outlined how Apple was working on a redesigned Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro that makes it "look even more like a laptop than the current setup" thanks to a larger trackpad. Now, in the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman reveals additional information about the extensive redesign of the accessory. The area around the keyboard itself will apparently be made of aluminum, resembling the top case of MacBooks, to provide a sturdier structure. Apple purportedly hopes that the changes will address criticisms of the current model.

The exterior shell of the keyboard will retain the silicone cover material used on the current model and a single USB-C port. Gurman mused that the redesign using more premium materials could lead Apple to raise the accessory's $299 price point.

The redesigned Magic Keyboard is expected to arrive alongside the next-generation iPad Pro models next year, which Gurman says will introduce "fundamental changes" and be the first major update to the product since 2018, adding the M3 Apple silicon chip, OLED displays, and slightly larger 11- and 13-inch size options.

Article Link: Gurman: New Magic Keyboard for iPad to Feature Aluminum Top Case

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Apple should make the keyboard section thicker, incorporating additional batteries into the case, in order to extend the iPad usable time to be closer to a MacBooks. I’d be ok with the added weight, if I could get 12-15 hours of use while traveling.
They definitely should add one at least big enough to compensate for the backlight in the keyboards. Kind of silly that the iPad gets worse battery life in “laptop” mode.

asdex

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2021
Wait, part of the inside around the keyboard, which comes in contact with the ipad display when closed, will be made out of a hard metal rather than the soft silicone as of yet? Well, get ready for scratched displays then. I highly doubt Apple will go this way. Makes much more sense to switch the outer shell material, if any.

Xangelkiller

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
This is unnecessary. I can see why the trackpad might grow, but an aluminum keyboard? Who wants a potentially heavier keyboard. This thing is already heavier than a MacBook Air.

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 with Magic Keyboard as my main personal device (and mostly love it), but I can’t imagine it being any heavier than it already is. They should be focusing on making the iPadOS experience better.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Now it just needs an OS that makes productivity on the ipad more laptop-like. I mean, you can polish a t*** forever, but it‘s still a t****. €369 for a keyboard is just ridiculously expensive.

(for the record, I love my ipad for surfing the net and watching movies on the go, but every time I try to do some more serious work on it other than editing photos with the apple pen, it takes me at least five times as long as when I‘m on a productive OS)

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Some pieces of the 2024 iPad Pro puzzle seem not revealed yet. Isolated, I cannot see much sense in an even more expensive keyboard/trackpad for a device designed for touch first OS. Rumoured mini MacOS or dual boot would make an high end keyboard more realistic.

Would I buy one: no - iPads for me is not for the desk.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I have the magic keyboard for my ipad pro and honestly I think I wasted my money. I mostly use the pro on the go or sitting somewhere and just interneting lol. I rarely use it at a table to be able to use the keyboard.

James

I feel the same way, but I had the Logitech one (which has more features). I never really got to use it that much since I use my iPad Pro for media consumption or teaching (with Apple pencil or just swapping slides), it was also bulky and heavy. I ended up returning it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.