Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
A Revamped Magic Keyboard šŸŽ¹ with a larger trackpad. Does it meet your needs?

IMG_2182.png

Last edited:

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
With the way incomes are diverging in the US, having no-expense-barred status products like an iPad with a gorgeous keyboard is just thatā€”a status play.

This is for executives, status-seekers, & movie stars. This is their Tesla Roadster or GMC Hummer.

Bring on the iPad Ultra!

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
These keyboards are already the price of a base iPad itself, just cannot justify the expense.
I finally ā€œgotā€ that after 2 years of using the M1 12.9 pro as my main computer. Found myself not being able to complete some simple tasks that o could on a regular laptop so I sold my heavy iPad and Magic Keyboard and ended up with thought to buy a used M2 air 13 inch. The screen was nice but found the switch worth it to me.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Now it just needs an OS that makes productivity on the ipad more laptop-like. I mean, you can polish a t*** forever, but itā€˜s still a t****. ā‚¬369 for a keyboard is just ridiculously expensive.

(for the record, I love my ipad for surfing the net and watching movies on the go, but every time I try to do some more serious work on it other than editing photos with the apple pen, it takes me at least five times as long as when Iā€˜m on a productive OS)
Thatā€™s because you want to do stuff the ā€œtraditional OS wayā€, embrace a new workflow and it will be as productive as when you are on a computer.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I remember when i got the Magic Keyboard for my Pro i actually preferred using the device with it.
And then i realized, that a Macbook Air is better for my needs and sold it.

Reactions: heretiq

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I donā€™t like the exorbitant price but, Iā€™m in the market for a new one. Itā€™s been about 2 years and I could keep this one but I donā€™t like how it gets more chipped away at the edges. If the new one is sturdier itā€™ll be worth it for me, even this one is still worth it for the use I get out of it. Before it, I spent many months with the also-nice wireless keyboard that comes with iMacs, itā€™s good but the convenience of being able to so quickly fold this ā€œmagicā€ one up when finished is a significant upgrade.

Sent on my not-Magic but Useful ā€œMagic Keyboardā€

Reactions: Shifts

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
People complain with no macOS available for the iPad, but if Apple were to make that available, I bet people would go complaining once again how sht a desktop operating system is in a touch-first device.

Look no further than the "popularity" of Windows touch screen laptops.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I have the magic keyboard for my ipad pro and honestly I think I wasted my money. I mostly use the pro on the go or sitting somewhere and just interneting lol. I rarely use it at a table to be able to use the keyboard.

James
Agree. I purchased the Magic Keyboard and love the design; but find that the overall experience is inferior to both the naked iPad Pro and to my MacBook Pro.

I think itā€™s because the iPad is a touch-optimized device (hardware and software) and the added weight and keyboard transforms it into something (a) different than what it was designed for and (b) less than what we want it to be.

I would buy a keyboard-less Magic Keyboard to use as an iPad stand though ā€” the way the iPad just floats is magical for person-person collaboration and kiosk-like use cases.

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Just don't get it......I've given up on iPadOS and the great potential the iPad actually could have been. iPads are the prefect example where Cook just doesn't get it....
I think iPads provide an example of what happens when users disregard what a device was actually designed and optimized for, then expect and insist that it behave the way they would have designed it.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Small steps bringing the form factor closer to a laptop is not going to make it into a laptop.

I use my ipad just for foruming and media consumption on the couch and in bed.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
They should use the TouchBar 13 inch MacBook Pro bottom case and throw in a could USB C ports.

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2023
Time for macOS as a dual boot option on the Pro. No excuses now, not with an M3 chip and 16gb RAM
OMG! Thatā€™s what I was trying to say! With the improved efficiency of the m3, why not include macOS? Also the schedule: iPad Pro in Spring, macOS for it in June! Or even if not full-fledged macOS, at least a light version of it with an iOS skin! DMG, Better Finder, Menu Bar, Desktopā€¦ basically Apple DeX.

• Love
Reactions: East India Company

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
This is unnecessary. I can see why the trackpad might grow, but an aluminum keyboard? Who wants a potentially heavier keyboard. This thing is already heavier than a MacBook Air.
You need the weight in order to keep the base stable while the iPad is balancing above it. There's already metal inside the base to do that, so changing the exterior to aluminum probably wouldn't change much in terms of weight. The bigger concern IMO would be keeping the iPad screen safe.

Reactions: Shifts

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I have the magic keyboard for my ipad pro and honestly I think I wasted my money. I mostly use the pro on the go or sitting somewhere and just interneting lol. I rarely use it at a table to be able to use the keyboard.

James

Same. Once the honeymoon period was over, I realized that it is really heavy to carry around, and if Iā€™m sitting at the table I may as well open my laptop.

sherwinzadeh

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I think Apple needs to make a big U-turn and focus on making the iPad a great TABLET. This means:
1. Make it much lighter. It needs to be comfortable to hold in one hand for a longer period of time. Get rid of the bulky cameras, no one cares.
2. Pencil needs to really improve so I want to use it over paper. Right now I don't.
3. Make it much brighter so it's actually usable outdoors

I purchased the Magic Keyboard when it came out but it really doesn't replace a laptop -- Just get a MacBook Air already... they run iPad and iPhone apps too now and costs about the same.

Reactions: El Szomorito
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.