Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I’m really interested in seeing what Apple does with the next Magic Keyboard Case. It would be cool if they revamp the Smart Connector on the iPad to support data transfer, that way that extra port on the Magic Keyboard Case could handle data transfers as well. It would also be cool if Apple made another keyboard case accessory as well that could add extra battery capacity, ports, etc., kind of like the Brydge case. Sure it would be thicker and heavier, so maybe it wouldn’t be as compelling, but it could make for a sweat setup! 👍🏻. As it is, there are cases similar to what I’m talking about, but they use a USB-C connection to the iPad, which is a bit less elegant. As I mentioned with the increased bulk, I’m not sure that Apple would see this as practical or compelling, but it would be cool nonetheless. I’m really interested in seeing how they pull off making the trackpad larger. The cantilever design is so ingenious for fixing the balance issues, while still being lap-able. I’ve used it on my lap very often. I hope whatever they use is equally unique and compelling as the cantilever design. I hope they don’t go with a kickstand setup like the standard iPad case, or the Surface Pro, I’ve never found that type of setup very lap-able. Though a separate kickstand back accessory that could magnetize on would be cool, like just the back part of the standard iPad case.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
A Revamped Magic Keyboard 🎹 with a larger trackpad. Does it meet your needs?

View attachment 2254517
I love the current Magic Keyboard Case, and I’m excited to see what they do with the next iteration. 👍🏻. I hope they stick with something equally unique and compelling like the cantilever design, because everybody else uses kickstand setups, and I’ve never been a big fan of those setups. They don’t fit very well on your lap, at least in my opinion. The cantilever design actually does balance on my lap very well. 👍🏻

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I’m really interested in seeing what Apple does with the next Magic Keyboard Case. It would be cool if they revamp the Smart Connector on the iPad to support data transfer, that way that extra port on the Magic Keyboard Case could handle data transfers as well. It would also be cool if Apple made another keyboard case accessory as well that could add extra battery capacity, ports, etc., kind of like the Brydge case.
A Magic Keyboard with battery and data transfer support by Apple would cost silly money. I would rather buy a laptop. More hardware features and fewer software limitations.

Reactions: GeoStructural

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
A Magic Keyboard with battery and data transfer support by Apple would cost silly money. I would rather buy a laptop. More hardware features and fewer software limitations.
I get it wouldn’t be for everyone, but I’m talking about offering it as an extra option, like a Magic Keyboard Case Max. Kind of like the Surface Book, only waaay better. If Apple Makes the iPad version of a Surface Book, I would definitely consider buying it. 👍🏻

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
I finally “got” that after 2 years of using the M1 12.9 pro as my main computer. Found myself not being able to complete some simple tasks that o could on a regular laptop so I sold my heavy iPad and Magic Keyboard and ended up with thought to buy a used M2 air 13 inch. The screen was nice but found the switch worth it to me.
I’m genuinely curious about these “simple” tasks that people have trouble performing on a large iPad Pro. iPad is so flexible that I almost never use my Mac anymore.

Reactions: Kal Madda

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Do you lug around a 13" laptop everywhere? Because an 11" iPad is easily equipped as EDC.

Can you then, within the span of 3 seconds, transform said laptop to a portrait mode reader, or a convenient internet surfer, or a pen and paper-like notepad? And then pop it back onto a physical keyboard to get a laptop-like tool for longer typing?

The Mac does not hold a candle to the versatility of an iPad.

Is the iPad software limited? Sure, but it's still more than enough for 90% of personal computing use cases in its current form, and the UI is excellent as far as touch-first systems go.

For the rest, just have a Win/Mac computer sitting at home, which you can remote into whenever the need arises. Then you still just take the iPad on the go with all bases covered.
Thank you! People claim they can’t do ”simple“ things an an iPad Pro and I’m just confused by that.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I’m genuinely curious about these “simple” tasks that people have trouble performing on a large iPad Pro. iPad is so flexible that I almost never use my Mac anymore.
Yeah, it always puzzles me when people make these claims. I use my iPad as my primary computer for the vast majority of my work and personal use. I use my iPad for professional graphic design work, recreational coding, video editing, professional 3D modeling and sculpting, all of my office software needs such as filling out forms, writing papers, etc. for my work, etc. and it all works seamlessly. I have a Mac Mini if I want to use that, but I don’t use it even close to nearly as much as I use my iPad. And for my graphic design work, it’s very useful being able to switch between using it as a true tablet, and then just snapping it onto a keyboard to use it in “laptop mode” when I want. And the OS and software itself is one of the biggest parts of the appeal of using my iPad. Most apps I use I like better on the iPad than on the Mac. This is part of why I don’t subscribe to the idea of shoehorning macOS onto the iPad, or making a “MacPad” or touchscreen Mac. The Mac is great for what it does, and the iPad is great for what it does. The iPad is great at being a flexible, hybrid computer that can easily switch use modes, where macOS is very optimized for one interaction mode, and does that very well.

Reactions: satchmo

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Yeah, it always puzzles me when people make these claims. I use my iPad as my primary computer for the vast majority of my work and personal use. I use my iPad for professional graphic design work, recreational coding, video editing, professional 3D modeling and sculpting, all of my office software needs such as filling out forms, writing papers, etc. for my work, etc. and it all works seamlessly. I have a Mac Mini if I want to use that, but I don’t use it even close to nearly as much as I use my iPad. And for my graphic design work, it’s very useful being able to switch between using it as a true tablet, and then just snapping it onto a keyboard to use it in “laptop mode” when I want. And the OS and software itself is one of the biggest parts of the appeal of using my iPad. Most apps I use I like better on the iPad than on the Mac. This is part of why I don’t subscribe to the idea of shoehorning macOS onto the iPad, or making a “MacPad” or touchscreen Mac. The Mac is great for what it does, and the iPad is great for what it does. The iPad is great at being a flexible, hybrid computer that can easily switch use modes, where macOS is very optimized for one interaction mode, and does that very well.

This is pretty much my use case as well. :)

My MacOS-ification of iPadOS might be to give us some more flexibility in how all the apps are viewed.

The row of icons is fine for a few items, but when you have so many apps buried within 'folders' it might be easier to see in a list view.

Essentially the Files folder but as the Home Screen.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
This is pretty much my use case as well. :)

My MacOS-ification of iPadOS might be to give us some more flexibility in how all the apps are viewed.

The row of icons is fine for a few items, but when you have so many apps buried within 'folders' it might be easier to see in a list view.

Essentially the Files folder but as the Home Screen.
If you go to the App Library on iPadOS and select search, it will show all of your apps in a list view listed in Alphabetical order. I don’t know that that’s quite what you’re talking about, but I thought it may be helpful for you. 👍🏻

Reactions: satchmo

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
Exactly this. I’ve never wanted a larger trackpad, but frequently wish I had these keys.
Escape key can be mapped to another key but it’s mad that there’s no dedicated key.

I would prefer a larger trackpad.

It would also be handy if the iPad would always go to landscape mode when it’s docked in the case (even if there’s a portrait lock on).

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
Now it just needs an OS that makes productivity on the ipad more laptop-like. I mean, you can polish a t*** forever, but it‘s still a t****. €369 for a keyboard is just ridiculously expensive.

(for the record, I love my ipad for surfing the net and watching movies on the go, but every time I try to do some more serious work on it other than editing photos with the apple pen, it takes me at least five times as long as when I‘m on a productive OS)

Every part of me wants to be able to use my iPad Pro and magic keyboard for all my work, but, like you, I find myself struggling to get things done. I think it's as much the apps as the OS, though. For example, Mural (the collaborative diagramming tool) doesn't correctly support the trackpad and assumes that the pencil = freehand drawing (not micro-positioning objects).

I'm wondering about the worth of a 12.9" tablet vs a smaller one using as a consumption device or a second mobile screen for the MBP

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
I finally “got” that after 2 years of using the M1 12.9 pro as my main computer. Found myself not being able to complete some simple tasks that o could on a regular laptop so I sold my heavy iPad and Magic Keyboard and ended up with thought to buy a used M2 air 13 inch. The screen was nice but found the switch worth it to me.

It all depends on your work and your workflow. I use my MBP as my goto but my daughter, at university, opted for the iPad Pro, keyboard, and pencil. She uses it as a pencil + tablet to make notes, annotate documents, but then shifts to keyboard + tablet for essays, internet, etc. Surprisingly (to me) she is 100% committed to this workflow and wouldn't want to swap for a laptop.

It's all about usecases and habits I guess.

Unduplicatable

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
This is unnecessary. I can see why the trackpad might grow, but an aluminum keyboard? Who wants a potentially heavier keyboard. This thing is already heavier than a MacBook Air.

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 with Magic Keyboard as my main personal device (and mostly love it), but I can’t imagine it being any heavier than it already is. They should be focusing on making the iPadOS experience better.
The iPadOS experience needs to unify with MacOS, hence Vision OS, and that requires an aluminum keyboard. I detest the current Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro 11" and 13". I would absolutely appreciate an aluminum keyboard. In fact, the reason the current keyboard is so heavy is to ensure proper balance, so using aluminum will decrease the weight more than it will increase (I hope they don't decrease the weight too much) as it's already DELIBERATELY weighted. I require an aluminum keyboard and a larger trackpad (glass like the MacBooks) at the bare minimum.

*May 7th Update*
Yup, just like I demanded: Apple released the aluminum Magic Keyboard. In addition, they fulfilled my request of adding function keys! iPad FINALLY has Escape back! And interestingly enough, there is no need for rubber stops/spacers as the keys are plenty, and a screen protector would prevent wear, anyway. This new Magic Keyboard is everything I asked for. We’ll see if the trackpad is much bigger, although I‘m happy it’s at least glass again!!! :D

Last edited:

Unduplicatable

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
It all depends on your work and your workflow. I use my MBP as my goto but my daughter, at university, opted for the iPad Pro, keyboard, and pencil. She uses it as a pencil + tablet to make notes, annotate documents, but then shifts to keyboard + tablet for essays, internet, etc. Surprisingly (to me) she is 100% committed to this workflow and wouldn't want to swap for a laptop.

It's all about usecases and habits I guess.
I'll further agree: there is a lot I can only do on my iPad Pro that I cannot do on my MacBook Pro and visa versa... the operating systems need to be appropriately unified so we truly have "smart" phones, and aren't limited to a developer's ui.

Unduplicatable

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
Unless it has a rubber trim around it like the MacBook display then you better be very careful closing glass onto an aluminum frame with no buffer.
I appreciate the openness of the bezels of the iPad Pro sitting in the Magic Keyboard. I have considered this too, and the bezels would likely have to become partially or fully enclosed to act as the MacBook lids do with the rubber spacer. Alternatively, a few spacers would work fine, only top or only bottom or some combination. Regardless how it's come, I don't care as long as it looks good and is all metal again. I truly do not like this soft touch material compared to aluminum.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I appreciate the openness of the bezels of the iPad Pro sitting in the Magic Keyboard. I have considered this too, and the bezels would likely have to become partially or fully enclosed to act as the MacBook lids do with the rubber spacer. Alternatively, a few spacers would work fine, only top or only bottom or some combination. Regardless how it's come, I don't care as long as it looks good and is all metal again. I truly do not like this soft touch material compared to aluminum.
But the bottom side of the Magic Keyboard will not be aluminum. Just the soft material. Right??? Sorry for my confusion.:rolleyes:

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Or they could essentially do what the Brydge keyboard case does, and just have some spacers on the bottom deck. I am looking forward to aluminum. 👍🏻

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I'll further agree: there is a lot I can only do on my iPad Pro that I cannot do on my MacBook Pro and visa versa... the operating systems need to be appropriately unified so we truly have "smart" phones, and aren't limited to a developer's ui.
Yeah, I agree that the Mac and iPad should continue to be unified, but I don’t think that macOS on the iPad is the answer to that. I think that the better option is to continue to improve iPadOS. I think iPadOS is already most of the way there, and just needs a bit more before it could be on par with macOS. Just add most macOS features into iPadOS in a way that’s better optimized for the iPad and touch interaction. And an automatic Catlayst 2.0 type of tool that could automatically port Mac apps to the iPad would also help to unify the two. Perhaps it could even automatically increase button sizes to optimize the app’s UI for touch interactions. I definitely think we’re already headed towards a unified app ecosystem with tools like Swift code. 👍🏻

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
The thing I find frustrating are the tasks I expect to be able to do well on an iPad but can’t - diagramming with Mural and to a lesser degree Miro… making slides for presentations etc. Even using web based tools can be hard as the browser still isn’t 100% compatible with the desktop one.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Yeah, I agree that the Mac and iPad should continue to be unified, but I don’t think that macOS on the iPad is the answer to that.

If people want iPadOS to be more Mac like they really only need two things.

1 drop down menus from the menu bar.

2 a proper Finder instead of the cut down Files app.

That’s easy for Apple to do.

Everything else on the Mac isn’t needed on iPadOS. It would just be a resource drain as the tablet isn’t used the same way a laptop is and has less memory.

The majority of iPad sales are 4 groups who don’t want an advanced desktop environment. They just want to press large buttons, do drawings, puzzle games and type text. These are Facebook moms, children, instagram procreate artists and students.

Last edited:

Unduplicatable

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
The thing I find frustrating are the tasks I expect to be able to do well on an iPad but can’t - diagramming with Mural and to a lesser degree Miro… making slides for presentations etc. Even using web based tools can be hard as the browser still isn’t 100% compatible with the desktop one.
Sometimes it can be tougher. I think the only issue I’ve run into is the occasional bug that might require a refresh. Be sure you’re changing to Request Desktop Website instead of using the mobile version. Also, Chrome alleviates some of the nuances. If I find something frustrating, I do have to switch to my Macbook Air, although updates from both Apple and these websites I use have resolved the vast majority of issues. I don’t use what it is you referenced, although maybe what I said helps.

Unduplicatable

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
Yeah, I agree that the Mac and iPad should continue to be unified, but I don’t think that macOS on the iPad is the answer to that. I think that the better option is to continue to improve iPadOS. I think iPadOS is already most of the way there, and just needs a bit more before it could be on par with macOS. Just add most macOS features into iPadOS in a way that’s better optimized for the iPad and touch interaction. And an automatic Catlayst 2.0 type of tool that could automatically port Mac apps to the iPad would also help to unify the two. Perhaps it could even automatically increase button sizes to optimize the app’s UI for touch interactions. I definitely think we’re already headed towards a unified app ecosystem with tools like Swift code. 👍🏻
As someone who originally used MacOS and uses iPadOS on a daily basis, I disagree - iPadOS is like an early 2000’s dumb phone compared to using Windows 7. Once you learn the hard limitations of apps and iPadOS, you can’t unsee them, especially if you are unable to do what you naturally should have been able to do. Like it or not, VisionOS will replace MacOS and iPadOS/iOS one day, and even VisionOS is less mature and less useful than iPadOS currently… so as it stands, Apple has a lot of progress to pave through. Sure, maybe I sound too forward-looking, yet iPadOS is a far-fetch from a multitasking machine. You can hardly have 10 browser tabs open, let alone 3 apps at once - and I’m talking about the latest iPad Pro 13”.

Might I also add… Apple finally added function keys to the iPad, so you can sure bet there is a bigger iPadOS update coming.

Reactions: GeoStructural
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.