Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple does not plan to launch a second-generation version of its Vision Pro headset until the end of 2026, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports.

apple-vision-pro-orange.jpg

Writing in the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said Apple's latest Vision Pro roadmap "doesn't currently call for a second-generation model until the end of 2026." In February 2024, he said that the device was "at least 18 months away."

According to Gurman's sources, Apple is still trying to figure out a way to bring a cheaper version to market before then, although the company remains "flummoxed" by how exactly to bring down the cost.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in February said he believes new Vision Pro models with significant changes to the specification may not enter mass production until 2027.

At the time, Kuo said he did expect a modified Vision Pro to enter mass production in late 2025 to early 2026, with Apple focused on improving costs and production. However, this leads him to believe that the "user experience will not differ from the current model." Indeed, it is even possible that these changes will not be announced to the public, beyond a potential price cut.

Apple is expected to release the Vision Pro in additional countries before WWDC in June, with reports that the device could be coming to China as soon as next month.

Article Link: Gurman: No Apple Vision Pro 2 Launch Planned Before End of 2026

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
what they could have done from the beginning:

- drop the front screen
- drop the motors that auto adjusts the pupil distance. include a manual slider like oculus quest
- include only one type of strap
- drop the charger
- smaller box
- reduce magnet use and use a cheaper mechanism to attach bits to the headset

instantly drops $1k from price tag easily.

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK

- drop the front screen
- drop the motors that auto adjusts the pupil distance
- drop the charger
- smaller box

Beat me to it. Surely that front screen with the spooky eyes is heavy, battery draining and expensive? That alone sounds like an easy win to me.

Last edited:

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Not really sure what's the plan with Apple Vision Pro. Having the same $3500 first-gen device until 2026? Sales are aparently going down just after 3 months. Maybe they will add some cool features in the next software updates or lower the price next year, but that's about it. They need more people adopting this tech, so there are more apps available. I think the price was a wrong move, even though I know it was expensive to develop.

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018

- drop the front screen
- drop the motors that auto adjusts the pupil distance. include a manual slider like oculus quest
- drop the charger
- smaller box
- reduce magnet use and use a cheaper mechanism to attach bits to the headset

Thank you for saying what needs to be said about the IPD motor. Would make sense if they ever put in multi-user support like they should.

The front panel is about $70. I get it conceptually, but the compromises (i.e. camera placement) are too great.

There’s enough room in the margin to do $2,499. I think the BOM is like $1,500, with $700 for the displays.

The 2026 launch date makes sense. There is so much room to improve this product in software and I’m looking forward to visionOS 2.

RichHI

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2018
Princeville, HI
I think focusing on a lighter model which can be used for long periods is more key to ubiquity to the Vision product rather than a cheaper option. The product has to be established as a aspirational and then you follow through with an Air Variant for students and those on more limited budgets. Currently the vision is very limited in usage with the weight and the issue of eye strain with lengthy use. So I would say go for a Vision Ultra and make that fit almost all occasions and then start playing the price ladders with limited functionality. Maybe a Vision mini might supplant an ultra if it could be worn for hours without issues.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Unless Apple can communicate to the market what value this headset brings to a user, I think the technology is dead in the water.
This has always been key. I have yet to be shown anything that can be accomplished so much more effectively with this device than with already existing tools/tech that lots of people would be compelled to put it on or pay for it, let alone pay $3500-$4000. Many of us commented as much well before launch and while there was always a chance Apple had something revolutionary up its sleeve for the actual reveal, it is pretty clear now that is not the case.

The personal entertainment use cases are probably where the AVP comes closest to providing some value, but that’s as long as you don’t want a shared experience (like just sitting with family/friends watching something). And it’s still expensive for that.

For getting real work done, it looks like “spatial computing” is an even worse proposition outside of niche (expensive) applications (medical, engineering design/modeling, etc.).

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Between iPad 1 and 2 (a far cheaper and better established product at launch) there was one year (more or less)

So either Apple completely lost the plot or this rumour doesn't make any sense. While AVP may iterate a bit slower than iPad (it seems a more complex product) I would go with the latter in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.