Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2023
Refinement takes time, folks. The iPad was relatively simple and the jump from iPad 1 to 2 was significant.

This was always a VERY niche product aimed SQUARELY at early adopters only.

But the groundwork has been laid: everybody that used it was blown away by it in some way.

The hardware will improve, it'll get more apps, etc. It's relatively downhill from here. Shipping V.1 is the hardest obstacle.
Agreed. And it’s very difficult to create a new product in a relatively new category—and do it in secret.

[The Great and Powerful Steve boasted that he didn’t need focus groups—that he knew what people wanted and needed. Yea, like the G4 Cube.]

If the consumer leads, the AVP will follow. If a killer app appears, voila!

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Wait till the EU rules that the Apple Vision Pro is a gatekeeper technology ? 😉

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
what they could have done from the beginning:

- drop the front screen
- drop the motors that auto adjusts the pupil distance. include a manual slider like oculus quest
- include only one type of strap
- drop the charger
- smaller box
- reduce magnet use and use a cheaper mechanism to attach bits to the headset

instantly drops $1k from price tag easily.
It’s a first gen product but consistent manufacturing and establishing the infrastructure from the beginning will reduce the costs over time significantly. OLED panels used to be incredibly expensive but are now essentially the cost of a LCD, same thing will happen to AVP parts. But we definitely will be getting Cheaper versions that will be missing some of these features.

Reactions: SFjohn

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Dude the iPad was an immediate hit. Like, massive hit. And it kicked ass at what it promised to do, and for an affordable price.

I know because I remember well, and bought one summer of 2010 and really enjoyed it. And then they iterated on it relentlessly and it pretty much peaked like 5 years later, but that’s a different discussion.

AVP isn’t comparable in any way. At all.
The AVP IS comparable to the iPad in that it is a 1st Gen product. The iPad, like the AVP, had both defenders AND detractors. My gen 1 iPad is a paperweight now.

We're not talking about an iPod HiFi here. Apple is INVESTED in the AVP. It is yet another computing device, NOT a peripheral (although it can serve as that too).

And from my perspective, Apple succeeded at the things they set out to do with it that matter: The OS, the experience, the groundwork.

Regardless of how clunky, arguably overpriced, or flawed it is, I believe it will ONLY get better from here.

Let's revisit 5 years down the line and see where we're at, though.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: SFjohn and d0sed0se

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
As I posted a long long time ago, this is very much feeling like a Original HomePod type of product.

I didn't realise the loss people are already making trying to sell these devices on ebay:

It's feeling more and more another Apple Mis-Step in them thinking they know better than everyone else, and consumers will run to buy it.

I am genuinely interested however, now the initial excitement/hype/news has almost gone to zero in the tech news sector, just what Apple's plans are to try and release this in other countries.

Do you even think Apple will not even try and promote it elsewhere around the globe?
I mean, if you can't summon Americans, your BIGGEST fans to be excited about it, what hope is there elsewhere?

Would it better to simply not launch, than to see more negative stories about how badly it sold/sells elsewhere?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Might be even later. Considering that some countries are just getting HomePod mini only now, it will not be surprising to see the next version of Vision Pro until much later.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
If the intent is to make a cheaper, less featured version it seems weird that they launched the more expensive ‘pro’ version first. They’ve never done that with other products before. Were they that desperate to not be compared to Meta and other existing VR headsets?
Apple needed to launch a device much different from competition. That's why they launched the high-end Apple Vision Pro.

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
I’m saying the opposite.

I’m saying the rumors of its demise, ever since the printing press, have been greatly exaggerated.
What does it actually do to make people want to buy it on a mass scale
And that’s the problem all vr headsets have.

Reactions: AlanMarron

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Apple rushed this product to market when it was not ready for prime time, all because Tim wanted it under his tenure. The truth is that the tech is not viable and likely won’t be until 2027, when they should have waited to release the first generation.

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
The AVP IS comparable to the iPad in that it is a 1st Gen product. The iPad, like the AVP, had both defenders AND detractors. My gen 1 iPad is a paperweight now.

We're not talking about an iPod HiFi here. Apple is INVESTED in the AVP. It is yet another computing device, NOT a peripheral (although it can serve as that too).

And from my perspective, Apple succeeded at the things they set out to do with it that matter: The OS, the experience, the groundwork.

Regardless of how clunky, arguably overpriced, or flawed it is, I believe it will ONLY get better from here.

Let's revisit 5 years down the line and see where we're at, though.
Love the hedge at the end there. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Darth Tulhu

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
They needed the front screen. They were trying to mimic ski goggles where people are comformable talking to people who are wearing bulky eye gear because they can see their eyes.
I guess that's my point. If it isn't good, remove it.

The rest of your points I agree with with the exception of the magnet part. Magnets are super cheap and elegant.

My nephew dropped my Vision Pro on the floor (luckily carpet) because he took off the headset by holding the magnetic cushion.
I think a simple latch would be cheaper and better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.