Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
I've done some more research and this one is looking great. I found some reviews from users who had been using 4K Video Downloader, but they say this one is better:

Trustpilot reviews:

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I've done some more research and this one is looking great. I found some reviews from users who had been using 4K Video Downloader, but they say this one is better:

Trustpilot reviews:
Looking at the site as to what it can do, it looks very impressive. It appears to do a lot more than any of the other downloaders that has been mentioned and at a current life time price of $29, that is an excellent price.

I gather you have not picked one to use yet?

Reactions: BeautifulWoman_1984

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Looking at the site as to what it can do, it looks very impressive. It appears to do a lot more than any of the other downloaders that has been mentioned and at a current life time price of $29, that is an excellent price.

I gather you have not picked one to use yet?
Thank you for your reply!

There are so many options that I'm struggling to just choose one. I may need to buy multiple Apps?

This is the most expensive App I've come across so far:
$55USD per year. Does anyone know what this App offers that makes it so expensive???

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth

There are so many options that I'm struggling to just choose one. I may need to buy multiple Apps?

This is the most expensive App I've come across so far:
$55USD per year. Does anyone know what this App offers that makes it so expensive???

It does not matter how good this downloader is, it is subscription based (monthly) which makes it an automatic no no from me.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
You have a choice, Internet Download Manager and VidJuice are currently the best in my opinion. Both are one off payments but all depends if you want a free one.
The JDownloader seems really appealing to me because it's open source and runs on multiple platforms. It even runs on Linux so that could be a bonus to the MacRumors users who are looking for a way to save videos.

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The JDownloader seems really appealing to me because it's open source and runs on multiple platforms. It even runs on Linux so that could be a bonus to the MacRumors users who are looking for a way to save videos.
I already use a downloader which I have used for many many years but if I had to chose another one it would have to be windows based as that is the platform I use the most, then mac then linux a very distant third. I think MR members would be looking for a mac version considering this is a mac forum.

stanleystf

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2022
I'm looking for a free app for downloading YouTube videos.

I've tried 'ClipGrab' and "4K Video Downloader". Neither has satisfied me for various reasons. Looking for another app.

stanleystf

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2022

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Hey guys,

I'm not going to be downloading anything illegal or breaking any laws so there's no need to be concerned.

The longer I wait to figure this problem out the more videos are deleted from websites and that means I'm unable to see them ever again... 😢 😥 😓

Thank you so much for any advice!
Hi,
I see your post dates from 2020 so I definitely missed the early train to this party.
However I see you've received many suggestions and wondered which video downloader you finally decided on.
I've been using just one for as long as I remember, and already suggested by a few others here. I's ClipGrab. Not only simple to use but also simply brilliant! Couldn't be more satisfied with this.:)

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hi,
I see your post dates from 2020 so I definitely missed the early train to this party.
However I see you've received many suggestions and wondered which video downloader you finally decided on.
I've been using just one for as long as I remember, and already suggested by a few others here. I's ClipGrab. Not only simple to use but also simply brilliant! Couldn't be more satisfied with this.:)

I've mostly been using this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fi...la.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=search and I've paid for the premium version.

It's great since it runs inside Firefox so it's multiplatform. However, it seems like it's worth buying a real product.

I've tried many "website video downloaders" but these are really hit or miss in terms of how well they work. I can post the ones I've used if you like?

Alvin777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple friends.

Sometimes a video is very important (like this proper way to confess) you need to download it just in case it's taken offline for some reason but what's the best plug-in browser (preferably for Safari) or online Youtube video downloader (preferably free) or the best standalone app (preferably free also) for downloading Youtube videos (bonus if it works with other streaming sites)?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love

JaimeKuier

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2023
Desktop app is better as the quality and resolution from online sites are a bit lower. This is my own experience who occasionally download YB videos.
Sounds good, what I want to know is the quality of the downloaded video? It didn't go down?

Reactions: Alvin777

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Here's a downloader that doesn't even need to be installed so it's available on all platforms!

I've been researching this and it looks great:
I would be wary of anything free, that is online based.
Which you are then downloading content to your Mac.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It's not free, it's a scam. See https://dirpy.com/pricing
you are wrong, it is not a scam. It has a free option BUT as with any type of this online program being free, it is limited in what it others for free. It has paid options that offer more.

I do agree with others though regarding online versions of video downloaders because the host of the website can keep a record of everything that goes through the site, the persons IP address, what browser they are using, what operating system they are using, their email address, the video they are wanting to download.

There could be some legitimate online video downloaders, I just choose not to trust any online video downloaders. My personal choice basically.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
you are wrong, it is not a scam. It has a free option BUT as with any type of this online program being free, it is limited in what it others for free. It has paid options that offer more.
There is no identifiable entity, company or individual, in that website.
The Privacy, Legal and Terms of Service are a joke:
“We are not your lawyers and we cannot give you legal counsel.”
“Purchases of Dirpy Premium are not refundable.”
The domain is registered by “Super Privacy Service LTD c/o Dynadot Registrant Street: PO Box 701”
https://viewdns.info/whois/?domain=dirpy.com
https://www.dndisputes.com/case/respondent/super-privacy-service-ltd-c-o-dynadot/
The site could be closed at any moment and the money paid just vanish.

A simple search returns other free websites that work at the moment
https://yt1s.com/
https://yt2k.com/
You can even make your own https://github.com/Rudloff/alltube

A license for Downie was recently only $7.99 at https://bundlehunt.com/bundle/2023-blackfriday-macos-bundle/

In conclusion, “$9.99 per month per 100 Files” for dirpy is quite a scam.

Since this thread was started in Aug 11, 2020, I doubt anyone still has the same problem three years later, with multiple valid responses provided over time.

• Sad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.