Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
If this is the case, and I can see how it could be, it really should be a story on CNet or somewhere.

Hey media folks, have a look at this story...

I just added this to my post above but will say again.

On Sky boxes, catchup content via ITV, C4, and C5 is downloaded ad-free to the box. This makes me think Sky have a deal with these networks to provide their content, and must be paying them something for that. However, I think it means Sky has some influence and I wouldn’t be surprised if some clause in the contract prevents the networks from launching on Apple (it may not explicitly say this, but it will be implicit) - some sort of “exclusivity” crap.

I would say it’s highly likely the reason ITV, 4 and 5 are not on Apple TV is legal and I’d put money on Sky being behind it all (or something like Sky).

Reactions: orbital~debris

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
Or apple want more money and a bigger slice of the pie. I'd also guess sky gives them a better access to their core UK market.

ITV did a 4 year deal after what happened with the previous digital attempt. You have other options for their catch-up services for free..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-steps-into-pay-television-with-Sky-deal.html

That fits and doesn't look good for ITV on ATV in the short term as per this quote from the article:

"It is understood that the channel will be exclusive to Sky for an initial period but could later be available on other platforms such as Virgin Media."

Truth be told, I don't personally care for most of ITVs programmes (in fact, other than Broadchurch, pretty much nothing on the channel interests me that much), but my partner does watch the channel a lot, so I'll never convince that we can go all in through the ATV (i.e an entirely Apple-centric user interface/user experience all through one box/remote) without ITV being on the platform, plus I hoped ITV going in would bring C4 and C5 in to. Maybe those channels need to go in first and bring ITV in through the need to compete with them...

chazzee

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
I found it is possible to airplay ITV if you log in via safari and not the app, still not great and you sometimes need to press play on the video a few times but it's the best way I can find. It's also got the benefit of no adverts if your phone screen goes to sleep, again not sure why but very useful!

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
It was just announced in the keynote as one of the services that will be included on the Apple TV app when it launches in the UK this year. Looks like the UK are finally getting our main content providers on the Apple TV.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Thank the lord! This is such amazing news.

Saw Channel 4 and Channel 5 too.

Apple TV is going to hit the big time in the UK when this happens.

So happy. Actually think this is making me happier than the iPhone!

I really hope these providers stream in HD on Apple TV.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Thank the lord! This is such amazing news.

Saw Channel 4 and Channel 5 too.

Apple TV is going to hit the big time in the UK when this happens.

So happy. Actually think this is making me happier than the iPhone!

I really hope these providers stream in HD on Apple TV.
Was channel 4 there. It moved so fast I couldn't pick them all out. I saw ITV and Channel 5

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Was channel 4 there. It moved so fast I couldn't pick them all out. I saw ITV and Channel 5
I couldn't see Channel 4 there

Attachments

• IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 377
Reactions: orbital~debris

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
It'll be a shame if Channel 4 isn't included. The appeal for me is being able to use my Apple TV for ALL my tv media consumption. If one of the main content providers isn't on board it defeats the whole purpose as I'll still have to switch over to my PS4 even if it's just one that I regularly use that is missing.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
It'll be a shame if Channel 4 isn't included. The appeal for me is being able to use my Apple TV for ALL my tv media consumption. If one of the main content providers isn't on board it defeats the whole purpose as I'll still have to switch over to my PS4 even if it's just one that I regularly use that is missing.

I agree it's a pain, but you can easily AirPlay C4 to Apple TV - AirPlay wouldn't work with the ITV app but works great with All 4.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I agree it's a pain, but you can easily AirPlay C4 to Apple TV - AirPlay wouldn't work with the ITV app but works great with All 4.
That's actually good to know. Can you airplay it and leave the app and do other stuff with your phone like you can with the iPlayer app etc?
[doublepost=1505249747][/doublepost]
Has any date been set for this launch?
For the UK they just said by the end of the year. Canada and Australia were confirmed to be by the end of this month

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Calling ATV a “smallish opportunity”

We’ll see how quickly he reconsiders that when the TV app launches with BBC, ITV and C5 support.

Out of touch numpty.

They released on Amazon Fire TV when it was a nothing device. He claims 'The market was right'. At the end of the day All 4 is frequently a steaming pile of :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.