Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
My5 app now available in the UK. Let’s hope ITV hub etc follow soon.

I just had a look at this, and aside from it being weirdly and uncharacteristically laggy, the My5 app is a solid app. It's far superior to the bare bones iPlayer app, and the MS-DOS level Now TV app. Too bad Channel 5's content is such utter drivel.

Still it's significant in that it's the first new UK app in over 2 years.

No surprise that Siri has no idea My5 exists, as is the case with everything in the UK except Netflix and iTunes. This list is rather comical - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht205321 I wonder if Amazon, if it ever arrives, will make its presence known to siri.

Cheesybugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Too bad Channel 5's content is such utter drivel.

They do show some interesting documentaries though, amongst the drivel. BBC iPlayer is the app I use daily though, despite its flaws. I find it much easier to use and a lot faster on the ATV4 than on on my Samsung TVs. (Although they do have all the UK catchup apps installed) The iPlayer IOS app is great too. The BBC are still the best TV network in the world imho.

Last edited:

DMWARP

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
They do show some interesting documentaries though, amongst the drivel. BBC iPlayer is the app I use daily though, despite its flaws. I find it much easier to use and a lot faster on the ATV4 than on on my Samsung TVs. (Although they do have all the UK catchup apps installed) The iPlayer IOS app is great too. The BBC are still the best TV network in the world imho.

The BBC iPlayer app is great and is actually one of the few that adopt new features quickly.

And yes they're are still the best TV network in the world.

Reactions: Cheesybugger

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
The BBC iPlayer app is great and is actually one of the few that adopt new features quickly.

And yes they're are still the best TV network in the world.

I'm genuinely curious why you believe that.

The iPlayer ATV app hasn't been updated in any meaningful way at all since it launched two years ago. It lacks pretty much every iPlayer feature bar playing video - no "my channel", "my programmes", TV guide, BBC ID login, and no ability to pick up where you left off on other devices. It's telling that they iPlayer app on my TV is updated very regularly. Shows where they BBC's priorities lie.

It also lacks the 4K HLG trial which is available on smart TVs. It doesn't even support any of the ATV's key features, such as universal siri voice search and top shelf.

It's the most phoned in ATV app on the app store, except Now TV of course.

As for the BBC being the best, well that's subjective of course. I find myself pretty much just watching Netflix these days, but to each his own.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
The BBC will have to update the iPlayer app to take iPlayer logins otherwise they will have to abandon it once logins become mandatory next year. I would hope that an update would roll out HLG support to the AppleTV 4K.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
The BBC will have to update the iPlayer app to take iPlayer logins otherwise they will have to abandon it once logins become mandatory next year. I would hope that an update would roll out HLG support to the AppleTV 4K.

I thought BBC logins were supposed to be mandatory this year? I get the impression the ATV app is just abandonware.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I thought BBC logins were supposed to be mandatory this year? I get the impression the ATV app is just abandonware.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-within-weeks-says-bbc-tv-licence-fee-evasion

Yep - you're right: a login was required earlier this year. So it looks like the ATV app is abandonware and its is the way to dodge paying the TV licence (probably not foolproof though)!

That probably also explains why the BBC logo was missing from the infamous Apple Keynote slide of TV app partners. Very disappointing as iPlayer seems to have migrated to just about every smart TV product known to man!

Cheesybugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-within-weeks-says-bbc-tv-licence-fee-evasion

Yep - you're right: a login was required earlier this year. So it looks like the ATV app is abandonware and its is the way to dodge paying the TV licence (probably not foolproof though)!

That probably also explains why the BBC logo was missing from the infamous Apple Keynote slide of TV app partners. Very disappointing as iPlayer seems to have migrated to just about every smart TV product known to man!

Well, if they pull iPlayer that will be two more ATV 4’s on eBay. It’s all I use them for.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I thought the reason iPlayer is on everything is because it's part of the BBC's charter to support as many platforms as they can (rather than it being a commercial decision as it is for ITV etc)

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
They won’t pull iPlayer. It might get slower updates, but it won’t be pulled. Why would it?

The only scenario I can see where it would bed pulled is if the BBC's own rules mandated that all iplayer apps must have BBC ID login. It seems likely that the current ATV iplayer app was the result a one of payment from Apple to the BBC (and by the low quality of the final product, it was a small payment), so unless Apple pay up again, it could be removed as the BBC wouldn't pay for the work.

That said even with Apple's get low level of interested in any country not called America I can't see them letting the BBC remove it. It's a bad app, but it's also one of the essentials, along with Netflix and Amazon.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
My memory of late 2015 is that some coders knocked up an iPlayer equivalent app (called Auntie Player IIRC) shortly after the Apple TV 4 debuted to show how easy a VoD app could be to produce. It's almost as if this embarrased the Beeb into actually putting out an official app. The app has appeared on all sorts of low market-share devices so I can't understand why the Apple TV has such poor support.

However, as we have discussed this evening the rules already state that iPlayer access is controlled by logins so something must be coming one way or the other.

Last edited:

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
As for the BBC being the best, well that's subjective of course. I find myself pretty much just watching Netflix these days, but to each his own.

With great "pay for our programming or you'll go to jail" programming like East Enders, DIY SOS and Strictly Come Dancing I don't know why HBO even bother to compete.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
My5 app is good.

No HD ... but the most interesting thing to me is no adverts.

Surely they will not be happy with this? Is this deliberate? Will ITV do the same? I can’t see how they would allow ad-free content on Apple TV as it would be very bad for their model.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
My5 app is good.

No HD ... but the most interesting thing to me is no adverts.

Surely they will not be happy with this? Is this deliberate? Will ITV do the same? I can’t see how they would allow ad-free content on Apple TV as it would be very bad for their model.

ITV, C4 and C5 catch-up services are all hyper compressed SD. Even BBC iPlayer is just 5mbit 720p. If you want picture quality you have to go to Netflix and Amazon.

As for no ads, I get the same on the C5 app on my LG smart TV sometimes. Even when there are ads there'll only need one per break.

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I can't see the BBC removing iPlayer from the ATV. I think, in time, an update will come to add the required login functionality. Given it's a requirement, I expect they felt they couldn't just force people to login without providing any of the benefits like resuming across devices and multiple login.

I think, personally, I feel it's a great app because it's so fast compared with the Roku I had, the app on my Samsung TV.

Also, credit to Channel 5, though I don't watch a lot of their content I checked the app out and it's decent! I think the lack of adverts is a version 1 issue, as soon as they can, they will - and why not? It's how they make their money, I won't blame them. Their extremely broken Samsung TV App trots out the adverts that's for sure.

I wish Channel 4 would do something, but I can't see that happening all the while this guy is in charge.

https://twitter.com/rdh_tweets/status/907710888295194624

To be honest, what does happen with All 4? They rarely add new devices, and in terms of new features? No HD, no HTML5, terrible apps on Samsung. Their tech outfit is a bit of a joke I think.

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
I wish Channel 4 would do something, but I can't see that happening all the while this guy is in charge.

https://twitter.com/rdh_tweets/status/907710888295194624

To be honest, what does happen with All 4? They rarely add new devices, and in terms of new features? No HD, no HTML5, terrible apps on Samsung. Their tech outfit is a bit of a joke I think.

Agreed, he responds to viewers like a total asshat.

I asked the BBC if they had plans to support sign-in but apparently there’s nothing in the pipeline. Hopefully it doesn’t signal an end to the iplayer app... https://twitter.com/bbciplayer/status/934910225118875648

Sky doesnt have sign in on iplayer and nor does the iplayer app on my Sony Blu Ray player - i don't think a lack of sign in means the app is going anywhere.

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I asked the BBC if they had plans to support sign-in but apparently there’s nothing in the pipeline. Hopefully it doesn’t signal an end to the iplayer app... https://twitter.com/bbciplayer/status/934910225118875648
I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Someone asked them if they had an ATV App and the Twitter team replied saying not yet o_O
[doublepost=1511943999][/doublepost]
Agreed, he responds to viewers like a total asshat.

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that. Surely as the head of All 4 he should be a little more professional? He won't even take ownership over how poor their apps are across the platforms they do support!

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I'm genuinely curious why you believe that.
Simple. The video navigation and playback experience on the ATV iPlayer app is very fast and fluid. Want to scroll forward or back in a programme? It’s very intuitive using the trackpad on the ATV remote. Most importantly it passes the non-techie family test. The apps on my Samsung TVs are like wading through treacle.

The iPlayer ATV app hasn't been updated in any meaningful way at all since it launched two years ago. It lacks pretty much every iPlayer feature bar playing video - no "my channel", "my programmes", TV guide, BBC ID login, and no ability to pick up where you left off on other devices.
To me those are marginal features at best. Might be nice to sync across devices but the tv is a shared family viewing source so it’s much more convenient not to have to navigate past what other people have been watching!

Now it’s my turn to be genuinely curious. Seriously? I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and they’re both a colossal waste of money in their own right, never mind when you compare the cost/benefit ratio with the cost of the licence fee. Of course we have our own tastes but the only things I watch on Netflix/Prime are the occasional big-ticket series (The Crown etc - though that was fairly tedious, let’s be honest) and occasional dipping into the archive of UK shows which of course were largely made by the BBC...
It’s the same when you talk to Sky subscribers with their £60/month contracts. Once you get past the football and Game of Thrones, they’re mainly watching terrestrial tv.

Anyway, each to their own.

I think there might well be something coming once the TV app launches in the UK. What Apple should really do is get a Freeview Play app/interface on ATV. That would make it a little more attractive for UK buyers.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Simple. The video navigation and playback experience on the ATV iPlayer app is very fast and fluid. Want to scroll forward or back in a programme? It’s very intuitive using the trackpad on the ATV remote. Most importantly it passes the non-techie family test. The apps on my Samsung TVs are like wading through treacle.

To me those are marginal features at best. Might be nice to sync across devices but the tv is a shared family viewing source so it’s much more convenient not to have to navigate past what other people have been watching!

Now it’s my turn to be genuinely curious. Seriously? I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and they’re both a colossal waste of money in their own right, never mind when you compare the cost/benefit ratio with the cost of the licence fee. Of course we have our own tastes but the only things I watch on Netflix/Prime are the occasional big-ticket series (The Crown etc - though that was fairly tedious, let’s be honest) and occasional dipping into the archive of UK shows which of course were largely made by the BBC...
It’s the same when you talk to Sky subscribers with their £60/month contracts. Once you get past the football and Game of Thrones, they’re mainly watching terrestrial tv.

Anyway, each to their own.

I think there might well be something coming once the TV app launches in the UK. What Apple should really do is get a Freeview Play app/interface on ATV. That would make it a little more attractive for UK buyers.

I think the lack of updates for the ATV iPlayer app is telling. If the BBC haven't abandoned it, then at the very least it's at the bottom of the priority list. The iPlayer app on my TV (LG B7) is every bit as fast as the ATV, but sees new features added regularly. It's also much prettier, and has access to the 4K trial content. It's obvious where the BBC is focusing, so I think the chances of iPlayer being part of the TV app are zero.

As for Netflix, it's all personal taste of course. I'm never short of stuff to watch on Netflix, so much so that it's almost comedic how much I have queued up to watch. I'd need months off work you catch up.

Just this week I started on the latest Netflix original, - an outstanding western called Godless, which is genuinely the best TV I've watched in years. It's incredible stuff. Then there's Stranger Things, Narcos, The Expanse, House of Cards, Mindhunter, Black Mirror, El Chapo, Designated Survivor, Star Trek Discovery, Ozark, Glow, and lots more I currently have on the go. As I say, I'm never short of things to watch.

Amazon is a bit of a wasteland these days, aside from The Grand Tour, American Gods, and The Man in the High Castle.

I'd struggle to think of the last thing I watched on iPlayer. I would have watched Blue Planet 2, but it bizarrely wasn't shown in 4K, just the usual ultra compressed 720p, so I'm waiting to buy it on UHD BD.

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Now it’s my turn to be genuinely curious. Seriously? I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and they’re both a colossal waste of money in their own right, never mind when you compare the cost/benefit ratio with the cost of the licence fee.

If you find them a waste of money then at least you have the choice to cancel them.

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I would have watched Blue Planet 2, but it bizarrely wasn't shown in 4K, just the usual ultra compressed 720p.

I really wish iPlayer would up their game to at least 1080p and sort the compression out. It's painful watching any gloomy dark drama.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and they’re both a colossal waste of money in their own right, never mind when you compare the cost/benefit ratio with the cost of the licence fee.

I was skeptical about Netflix but find it to be amazing value Much more so than the national licence fee or a Sky subscription. During the two weeks we've had it, we have watched Stranger Things, Dynasty and now Orange is the new Black - all in UHD! We'll soon start Narcos. The amount of viewing time you get in one month for less than a cinema ticket is brilliant.

I have now shared my Netflix account with 3 other family members and we'll get even more use out of the subscription. However, if you don't like any shows on Netflix then it's understandable that you find it to be poor value.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I was skeptical about Netflix but find it to be amazing value Much more so than the national licence fee or a Sky subscription. During the two weeks we've had it, we have watched Stranger Things, Dynasty and now Orange is the new Black - all in UHD! We'll soon start Narcos. The amount of viewing time you get in one month for less than a cinema ticket is brilliant.

I have now shared my Netflix account with 3 other family members and we'll get even more use out of the subscription. However, if you don't like any shows on Netflix then it's understandable that you find it to be poor value.

Give Godless a go. I think it's the best Netflix show so far. It's outstanding.
[doublepost=1512065586][/doublepost]
I really wish iPlayer would up their game to at least 1080p and sort the compression out. It's painful watching any gloomy dark drama.

The 4K Hybrid Log Gamma trial on iplayer looks amazing. It seemed like such a no brainier to use it for Blue Planet 2, but the BBC more glacially slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.