Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMWARP

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
The only scenario I can see where it would bed pulled is if the BBC's own rules mandated that all iplayer apps must have BBC ID login. It seems likely that the current ATV iplayer app was the result a one of payment from Apple to the BBC (and by the low quality of the final product, it was a small payment), so unless Apple pay up again, it could be removed as the BBC wouldn't pay for the work.

That said even with Apple's get low level of interested in any country not called America I can't see them letting the BBC remove it. It's a bad app, but it's also one of the essentials, along with Netflix and Amazon.

Apple didn't pay the BBC to develop an iPlayer app. The BBC can only accept money from the licence fee and BBC Worldwide.

I remember a few years back Russell T Davies (filming his last episode of Doctor Who) revealed that he wanted to help pay for a scene deemed too expensive for a BBC show but was refused as the BBC cannot accept money from outside sources, even from the showrunner himself!
[doublepost=1512143397][/doublepost]
With great "pay for our programming or you'll go to jail" programming like East Enders, DIY SOS and Strictly Come Dancing I don't know why HBO even bother to compete.

Ahh the joys of cherry picking.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Everyone is going to have different likes a dislikes - but the fact that viewers are forced to pay for the BBC is disgusting.

But nobody is forced to pay for the BBC, they’re forced to pay to watch ‘Live TV’.
Don’t watch or record live tv(or use BBCiPlayer) then you don’t need a TV License.

Last edited:

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
But nobody is forced to pay for the BBC, they’re forced to pay to watch ‘Live TV’.
Don’t watch or record live tv(or use BBCiPlayer) then you don’t need a TV License.

The vast majority of broadcast tv has nothing to do with the BBC, yet viewers have to pay the licence to the BBC if they watch any broadcast tv - thats not choice, thats forcing people to fund a service they may not want.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
The vast majority of broadcast tv has nothing to do with the BBC, yet viewers have to pay the licence to the BBC if they watch any broadcast tv - thats not choice, thats forcing people to fund a service they may not want.

Maybe not but that’s what’s written in Law.
I hardly use my car but still have to have it Taxed, Insured and MOT’d every year all the while I want to keep it.
I’ve never claimed on my car insurance but I’m forced to pay higher premiums for other people’s mistakes.
Unfortunately that’s just the way things work.
TV License seems rather small in comparison.

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Maybe not but that’s what’s written in Law.
I hardly use my car but still have to have it Taxed, Insured and MOT’d every year all the while I want to keep it.
I’ve never claimed on my car insurance but I’m forced to pay higher premiums for other people’s mistakes.
Unfortunately that’s just the way things work.
TV License seems rather small in comparison.

Indeed, but if insurance wasn't a requirement many people would quickly be left out of pocket by other peoples negligence - its why pretty much every western country requires car insurance.

If people had the option to have or not have the BBC, members of the public are not going to be left with thousands in unpaid damages. The BBC could stand on its own feet like any other subscription broadcaster for those that enjoy it.

DMWARP

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
Everyone is going to have different likes a dislikes - but the fact that viewers are forced to pay for the BBC is disgusting.

My point was picking shows that aren't generally considered 'amazing' isn't fair. The Night Manager, Gunpowder, Taboo, Line of Duty, The Missing (and plenty more!) can often exceed the quality of shows with a budget 10 times that of the BBC.

Also, no one is forced. Don't want to pay? Don't watch TV.

Yeah, it's totally wrong! I mean I never use the NHS, the police, the fire service. It's despicable.

For what you pay a day for the BBC and the level of services they offer you are getting a remarkably good deal. I suggest you look into just how good a deal it really is!

Indeed, but if insurance wasn't a requirement many people would quickly be left out of pocket by other peoples negligence - its why pretty much every western country requires car insurance.

If people had the option to have or not have the BBC, members of the public are not going to be left with thousands in unpaid damages. The BBC could stand on its own feet like any other subscription broadcaster for those that enjoy it.

If the BBC becomes just 'like any other subscription broadcaster' there is no point having the BBC at all. The fundamental core of the corporation is that it is unlike any other broadcaster. And that is something we must keep. It sets Britain apart from just about any other country. Long may it live.

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
My point was picking shows that aren't generally considered 'amazing' isn't fair. The Night Manager, Gunpowder, Taboo, Line of Duty, The Missing (and plenty more!) can often exceed the quality of shows with a budget 10 times that of the BBC.

Also, no one is forced. Don't want to pay? Don't watch TV.

Yeah, it's totally wrong! I mean I never use the NHS, the police, the fire service. It's despicable.

For what you pay a day for the BBC and the level of services they offer you are getting a remarkably good deal. I suggest you look into just how good a deal it really is!

If the BBC becomes just 'like any other subscription broadcaster' there is no point having the BBC at all. The fundamental core of the corporation is that it is unlike any other broadcaster. And that is something we must keep. It sets Britain apart from just about any other country. Long may it live.

If someone has no interest in BBC programmes that doesnt mean they don't want to watch anything else broadcast on tv - so yes they are forced to pay for the BBC. You cant say everyone gets a good deal for what they pay for the BBC when people have no choice to pay it.

The BBC is nothing like the NHS, the Police or the fire service its an entertainment product.

Cheesybugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
If the money isn’t used to fund the BBC, you’ll still pay a TV licence fee like most other European countries do. I would prefer it to continue to fund the BBC, keep it advert free and keep enjoying the vast amount of high quality programming. If you don’t think it is high quality, get a passport and travel around a few countries to compare. You don’t even have to go far, Calais will do. Endless game and political chat shows.

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
If the money isn’t used to fund the BBC, you’ll still pay a TV licence fee like most other European countries do. I would prefer it to continue to fund the BBC, keep it advert free and keep enjoying the vast amount of high quality programming. If you don’t think it is high quality, get a passport and travel around a few countries to compare. You don’t even have to go far, Calais will do. Endless game and political chat shows.

There doesn’t ‘ have to be a licence fee’ the bbc could be moved to a subscription model to avoid adverts for those that enjoy its out put.

I’ve lived in a few other counties thanks and I don’t find the BBCs output to be that special these days - even when it was good people shouldn’t be forced to pay for it in order to watch any broadcast television.

Cheesybugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
There doesn’t ‘ have to be a licence fee’ the bbc could be moved to a subscription model to avoid adverts for those that enjoy its out put.

I’ve lived in a few other counties thanks and I don’t find the BBCs output to be that special these days - even when it was good people shouldn’t be forced to pay for it in order to watch any broadcast television.

My point was, even if the BBC isn’t funded by a licence fee, there will still be a licence fee, so you may end up paying the licence fee and a monthly subscription to watch anything remotely watchable like most of the countries. The UK still has the best TV in the world, don’t ruin it.

In France the FTV channels are dire, so you end up paying a large monthly fee for Canal plus. You still have to pay a licence fee if you have a TV though.

Last edited:

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
The licence fee isn’t an absolute. If the BBC was funded with a subscription fee it would be perfectly feasible for the government to abolish it as there would be no need for it.

I’m glad you feel the BBC is the best in the world, but that’s compleatly subjective and others should be forced to pay for what you like.

Reactions: Sakurambo-kun

Cheesybugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
The licence fee isn’t an absolute. If the BBC was funded with a subscription fee it would be perfectly feasible for the government to abolish it as there would be no need for it.

I’m glad you feel the BBC is the best in the world, but that’s compleatly subjective and others should be forced to pay for what you like.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

• watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

As you can see, you still need a TV license to watch live TV on ANY channel. The fact that the BBC is funded by the TV licence is irrelevant. You'll Still pay a TV licence no matter what.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Interesting conversation. As someone who watches very little on the BBC I'd certainly be in favour of the licence fee going away. I don't know how that could work though, as monetising free to air TV means filling it with adverts. That would make the BBC even less appealing.

Perhaps there could be some sort of middle ground where the freeview side of it gets ads, and iplayer becomes an ad free subscription service.

The BBC really is in a tough spot. Netflix and the like have made extremely expensive to produce high end TV shows accessible for less than the cost of the licence fee. If only the BBC was free of its public service remit then it could spend its limited resources of fewer shows and spend more on them.
[doublepost=1512241514][/doublepost]

Agreed. It's such an odd and fundamentally anti consumer concept. No wonder it's so uncommon elsewhere in the world.

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

• watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

As you can see, you still need a TV license to watch live TV on ANY channel. The fact that the BBC is funded by the TV licence is irrelevant. You'll Still pay a TV licence no matter what.

If the BBC changed to a subscription model the government would have to pass that, there is no reason they ‘ couldn’t ‘ then abolish the licence fee as it would no longer serve a purpose.
[doublepost=1512241857][/doublepost]
Interesting conversation. As someone who watches very little on the BBC I'd certainly be in favour of the licence fee going away. I don't know how that could work though, as monetising free to air TV means filling it with adverts. That would make the BBC even less appealing.

Perhaps there could be some sort of middle ground where the freeview side of it gets ads, and iplayer becomes an ad free subscription service.

The BBC really is in a tough spot. Netflix and the like have made extremely expensive to produce high end TV shows accessible for less than the cost of the licence fee. If only the BBC was free of its public service remit then it could spend its limited resources of fewer shows and spend more on them.
[doublepost=1512241514][/doublepost]

Agreed. It's such an odd and fundamentally anti consumer concept. No wonder it's so uncommon elsewhere in the world.

You wouldnt need adverts to fund the BBC without a mandatory licence fee - you could just switch it over to a subscription model - anyone that wants BBC services gets them - anyone that doesn’t doesn’t - the courts then wouldn’t be spending money sending people to prison for failure to pay the licence fee.

When DVB-T launched most of it was a walled subscription service, with DVB-T2 IP Channels are part of the spec, and with the future in UHD broadcasts its either going to require a further modification of the DVB-t2 spec or IP will be required - Subscription service via terrestrial are very possible with the current UK broadcast system.

Last edited:

Cheesybugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Finally! :) It looks very good to me, easy to use and find programmes and the quality looks OK on my TV. Just need Ch4 now.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Great that it's here, but as mentioned, the quality is not great. Live channels are definitely SD and catch-up stuff (including adverts) still looks to be SD. Sat on a >70 Mbps internet link and no issues with BBC HD content so it looks like ITV are starting off slow. Looking forward to the 'help push ITV to use HD on the Apple TV app' thread...

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
ITV Hub is now live on the ATV App Store.

First impressions, decent interface but the content looks heavily compressed, 720p at best.

ITV Hub is SD on every platform, and as you say, the compression is set to insane levels.

The gulf in quality between low end junk like this and Netflix 4K Dolby Vision is astounding.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Funny thing is I am watching it now and it looks close to HD to me. But the frame rate looks different to the normal TV.

I’m satisfied with the quality...

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Funny thing is I am watching it now and it looks close to HD to me. But the frame rate looks different to the normal TV.

I’m satisfied with the quality...

Most ITV output will be at 50 fps (PAL) - do you have an Apple TV 4K with frame rate matching? I would be interested if ITV bothered to incorporate this to switch the Apple TV to 50 Hz? If not, you've likely got a 50 fps program being played back at 60 fps which could account for the odd motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.