Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
It all depends on what your watching, Family Guy looks as close to HD as your gonna get, Celebrity Juice not quite HD but still very much good enough.
The ads however look terrible which if we’re forced to watch them then it would be nice to see them looking a bit better than they do.
Yes it does switch to 50hz.

Reactions: kiranmk2

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Happy to get the ‘Help push ITV to use HD on the Apple TV’ thread going... ;)

Well it’s not worked for any other platform, it’s been requested since itv hub very first launched so why would AppleTV be any different.

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
ITV Hub is SD on every platform, and as you say, the compression is set to insane levels.

The gulf in quality between low end junk like this and Netflix 4K Dolby Vision is astounding.

It is HD on Sky which has the best implementation of a combined catch up service I've found.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
It is HD on Sky which has the best implementation of a combined catch up service I've found.

I wonder if Sky has an exclusive on ITV Hub HD like it has an exclusive with the HD versions of ITV2/3/Be/4. Is it still SD on Freeview Play systems (e.h. Humax PVRs or recent 4K tvs)? I did wonder whether it was just ITV saving costs on bandwidth sending out an SD 1 Mbps h.264 stream rather than a 3 Mbps 720p stream, but if they're sending out an HD service to Sky I'm guessing that's not the reason.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
I don’t like the ‘next episode playing in 20 seconds’ overlay. When watching Coronation Street it spoils the end/cliffhanger of the first episode of the night.
[doublepost=1512509900][/doublepost]
Most ITV output will be at 50 fps (PAL) - do you have an Apple TV 4K with frame rate matching? I would be interested if ITV bothered to incorporate this to switch the Apple TV to 50 Hz? If not, you've likely got a 50 fps program being played back at 60 fps which could account for the odd motion.

Ah no I just have the Apple TV 4th generation.

I don’t mind the frame rate actually. I’m pleasantly surprised with how good the quality of the picture is on this app.

Can’t wait for the TV app to launch. Come on Apple hurry up!

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
I wonder if Sky has an exclusive on ITV Hub HD like it has an exclusive with the HD versions of ITV2/3/Be/4. Is it still SD on Freeview Play systems (e.h. Humax PVRs or recent 4K tvs)? I did wonder whether it was just ITV saving costs on bandwidth sending out an SD 1 Mbps h.264 stream rather than a 3 Mbps 720p stream, but if they're sending out an HD service to Sky I'm guessing that's not the reason.

Sky also have HD catchup for Channel 5 which ive not seen elsewhere so perhaps its them fronting the costs?

So, what’s the plans for harassing Channel 4 till they pull their finger out?

https://twitter.com/RDH_tweets Hopefully you'll find Dick more amenable on the subject that others have so far.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
It all depends on what your watching, Family Guy looks as close to HD as your gonna get, Celebrity Juice not quite HD but still very much good enough.
The ads however look terrible which if we’re forced to watch them then it would be nice to see them looking a bit better than they do.
Yes it does switch to 50hz.

It's 480p.

eyeballtickler7

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2015
Response from head of All4 that I received earlier today

"We're just busy doing other things that will ultimately benefit more viewers. As with most things it's a lot to do with prioritisation"

If the community keep adding pressure it may force their hand

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Response from head of All4 that I received earlier today

"We're just busy doing other things that will ultimately benefit more viewers. As with most things it's a lot to do with prioritisation"

If the community keep adding pressure it may force their hand
Where did you get this response?

Openaperture

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017

Bill_Mead

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
Has anyone else had an issue of live TV on the new itv hub going back about 20 or 30 second only to speed up to catch the live stream again? It happened to me this evening watching the itv news at ten.

Reactions: brandscill

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Has anyone else had an issue of live TV on the new itv hub going back about 20 or 30 second only to speed up to catch the live stream again? It happened to me this evening watching the itv news at ten.
Yep
[doublepost=1512603843][/doublepost]
He currently reports to Jay Hunt who is leaving Channel 4, for Apple but don't think she does twitter.

She is being replaced by Ian Katz in January if you want to get in with the early requests.

https://twitter.com/iankatz1000?lang=en

Seems like a wasted effort at this point!

Reactions: Openaperture

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Anyone know if itv and channel 5 have subtitles on Apple TV app? I know bbc iPlayer don’t. :(

Need subtitles.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Anyone know if itv and channel 5 have subtitles on Apple TV app? I know bbc iPlayer don’t. :(

Need subtitles.

C5 does on Neighbours at least. Not checked anything else

edit: Just installed ITV hub and that has subs too

surprised BBC were even willing to make an app that doesn't have subtitle support - you'd think accessibility would be high on their priorities

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Just saw this on iOS app, not checked Apple TV. TV app support?!

BF82F8AB-2EE0-432F-9EA5-AEEBB09F9348.jpeg

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Yeah, I know that.

My point was iPlayer was updated to support it on iOS, so is there an update, or an upcoming for the iPlayer ATV app to support it on the ATV as well?

I’d like to think there will be, wasn’t there a little earlier when I checked.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
The BBC update iPlayer on iOS on a very regular basis. By contrast their TVOS app has never been updated beyond a background image change and a pop up asking if you have a TV license. The TVOS app is if not abandonware, then in a state of essential maintenance only.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
C5 does on Neighbours at least. Not checked anything else

edit: Just installed ITV hub and that has subs too

surprised BBC were even willing to make an app that doesn't have subtitle support - you'd think accessibility would be high on their priorities

Fab at least they do have some subtitles available. I will need download when I get free time and check out myself.

Yeah I am surprised bbc won’t do it for apple TV. They normally really good with subtitles and also they respond my email if I notice any bbc programme (desktop and iOS) if missing subtitles or delayed timing. They fix it pretty quick and let me know it been fixed but Apple TV they just won’t do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.