Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
This just shows how blind your prejudices are. Any real objective thinker understands all display technologies have pros and cons. It sounds like you have fallen for your own marketing hype.

I agree, but so far the only pros I see are: Deep blacks. Infinite contrast.

The cons: Color shift, PWM flickering, burn in/image retention, shorter lifespan, yellower screens, greater power consumption

Would you say the cons outweigh the pros? I think its an absolute blowout for the cons.

Reactions: stafil

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Just received an XS G0 week 39. Very close to how my previous DN week 38 looks. Maybe about just a tiny 3% more yellow. My DN week 38 looks about 5% more yellow than most store demos I see. Both colour shifts when tilt are minimal and acceptable to me.

Think I'm keeping my DN. This lucky draw has no end.

odvan

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Checked yesterday screen on my XS with white and grey pictures - almost perfect. Almost, because I can't notice anything wrong with naked eye.

PS Tilt shift is present. Just like in any other screen technology: TN, IPS-L, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
We see these threads every year wether the screen is OLED or LCD. There’s a lot of variation in the panels. Also some people are more sensitive than others. That’s why you see people playing the screen lottery and going through 10 exchanges to get the ‘perfect’ display be the display OLED or LCD. Of course some are less picky too so what is an unacceptable display for one might be acceptable to someone else.

Reactions: ilifecomputer

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
A friend has just received a Max, SG 256GB. Casing is flawless, the first I've felt with no sharp or raised edges around screen. You cannot feel the screen gasket at all. Sim tray is totally flush. But the display is reddish warm and when tilted quickly gets cooler/more blue making whites look crisper.
It's the opposite of the yellowish displays I've seen, so weird!

Also I don't like how True tone looks on this display as it's far too warm and looks reddish yellow, like a tea stain - while the one I just returned looked good with TT on. That said the reddish display does make the blacks on text, for example, appear very dark and crisp to my eye.

What the hell Apple?!

Foxconn
Week 43 (22.10 - 28.10)
MT532B/A

Last edited:
Reactions: stafil

Audiochild

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
UPDATE: Space Grey 256 gb XS

Went to Apple Store got a week 36 C3 serial with a perfect screen (slightly warm but bright and clean)! Cell Reception excellent, speakers perfect, wifi perfect no dings, scratches, sharp edges and the touch screen is perfect in all areas of the phone. My search is over.

The supposedly NEW phone shipped out of the repair center arrived and the screen is washed out, not nearly as bright and the sim tray sticks out to the point of giving a sharp edge. The serial was a DN. That is going back tomorrow.

From what I have seen the DN screens are washed out and not as bright as the C3 screens. They also have a yellow-pink to blue on the tilt as the C3 has slight blue only on the tilt. This is evaluating 2 C3 and 2 DN units.

I should have just went to the Apple store to begin with.

Hi how did you know the phone is week 36?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Casing is flawless, the first I've felt with no sharp or raised edges around screen. You cannot feel the screen gasket at all. Sim tray is totally flush. But the display is reddish warm and when tilted quickly gets cooler/more blue making whites look crisper.
It's the opposite of the yellowish displays I've seen, so weird!

There's no such thing as a perfect man-made device.

The real issue here is that people are paying $1300-$1500 for a phone. It's a tough swallow. Then to get it home and realize that it's still an imperfect man-made device is disheartening.

If you're going to take a magnifying glass to an iPhone, or inspect the screens for imperfections, you're going to be disappointed. If you got the phone to actually use it, you'll be fine. But if the imperfections grate, then it's really about the money, I'd say.

TheSteves

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Planet Earth
After weeks I went to Apple Store and „fortunately” found a dust speck inside camera. So they replaced the phone and lucky me this screen is so much better. Not too yellow. Still warmer than my X but so much better now. Happy camper. I believe before the launch they don’t do QC to well.

maximaler

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
my XS has a light yellow tint too, when i compare it too the x from my girlfried i realize my xs has a warmer display calibration. Comparing my XS to a other XS from a friend i see no bigger differences. So I think the XS comes generellly with a warmer display calibartion

maximaler

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Reduce blue light? So night shifted android phones looked like the xs in its default mode - that's your point?
I'm the owner of 2 galaxy s8+ and one s9+, there is no blue shift problem at all, but already two xs max i owned had awful warm displays. One with blue shift, second with pink shift. That's terrible.

My photo comparison of s9+ vs xs max

All I can see is that the s9 comes with a colder color temperature but i think a warmer display calibration like the xs is bether for your eys health and gives a bether colour authenticity

Reactions: cableguy84

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Gonna bump this as I just bought a new Xs, came from an 8.

The Xs I have has uniform color and the brightness is identical to my 8 as well as my wife's Xs, and multiple display models at the store (as well as a couple exchanges I had to do in buying mine).

I was in Best Buy today to buy printer ink so I figured I'd compare mine to the Xs/Max/Xr they had on display because why not? Mine was a little brighter than the Xs, and a LOT brighter than the Max (yes, TT/NS/Auto brightness all off). The max was actually dingy green in the upper right quadrant. I felt pretty good about mine when comparing. But, then I put it next to the Xr and it was no comparison, the Xr with its LCD was so insanely whiter than everything else it wasn't funny, crappy pixel density not withstanding.

I wouldn't say the Xs/Max have yellow tint so much as the calibration is just brutally warm on these.

But, I have to say though, I don't see how the 8/8+/X could be calibrated to 6500K, and then the Xs/Max also be calibrated to 6500K, and be clearly warmer than the 8/8+/X, it makes no sense. To make the 6500K claim even less believable, there's no way you can hold an Xs/Max next to an Xr and tell me they are all 6500K, because they simply cannot be. As an engineer, the science just doesn't add up here. You can say OLED just can't do whites like LCDs, and I'll believe that, but you just can't put an Xr next to an X/Xs/Max and tell me they are at the same color temperature, or even within panel variation tolerance of one another and be 100-150K off. No way.

I'm happy with my Xs, but holy hell can we get a white point color temp slider? Color Filters is NOT a substitute for proper white point adjustment. Accurate or not, not everyone likes a warm/accurate screen; I do no color accurate work on my phone so what do I care? I just want it to look good, and that means cool and crisp whites.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Gonna bump this as I just bought a new Xs, came from an 8.

The Xs I have has uniform color and the brightness is identical to my 8 as well as my wife's Xs, and multiple display models at the store (as well as a couple exchanges I had to do in buying mine).

I was in Best Buy today to buy printer ink so I figured I'd compare mine to the Xs/Max/Xr they had on display because why not? Mine was a little brighter than the Xs, and a LOT brighter than the Max (yes, TT/NS/Auto brightness all off). The max was actually dingy green in the upper right quadrant. I felt pretty good about mine when comparing. But, then I put it next to the Xr and it was no comparison, the Xr with its LCD was so insanely whiter than everything else it wasn't funny, crappy pixel density not withstanding.

I wouldn't say the Xs/Max have yellow tint so much as the calibration is just brutally warm on these.

But, I have to say though, I don't see how the 8/8+/X could be calibrated to 6500K, and then the Xs/Max also be calibrated to 6500K, and be clearly warmer than the 8/8+/X, it makes no sense. To make the 6500K claim even less believable, there's no way you can hold an Xs/Max next to an Xr and tell me they are all 6500K, because they simply cannot be. As an engineer, the science just doesn't add up here. You can say OLED just can't do whites like LCDs, and I'll believe that, but you just can't put an Xr next to an X/Xs/Max and tell me they are at the same color temperature, or even within panel variation tolerance of one another and be 100-150K off. No way.

I'm happy with my Xs, but holy hell can we get a white point color temp slider? Color Filters is NOT a substitute for proper white point adjustment. Accurate or not, not everyone likes a warm/accurate screen; I do no color accurate work on my phone so what do I care? I just want it to look good, and that means cool and crisp whites.
When I turn off true time and night shift, the screen color is stark whitish blue. Definitely cool, not warm. The display is uniform with currently no dead pixels.

Some of these phones in the stores that maybe have been around on full brightness, maybe since September may have screen “wear”.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Why would anyone think OLEDs can't do whites... As far as TVs are concerned, OLEDs calibrate incredibly well, and are right at the top for accuracy after calibration.

As far as the phones are concerned... well when you make these things in the numbers that Apple does, I don't think you're going to see well-calibrated displays on every single copy.

You can say OLED just can't do whites like LCDs, and I'll believe that, but you just can't put an Xr next to an X/Xs/Max and tell me they are at the same color temperature, or even within panel variation tolerance of one another and be 100-150K off. No way.

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Why would anyone think OLEDs can't do whites... As far as TVs are concerned, OLEDs calibrate incredibly well, and are right at the top for accuracy after calibration.

I've been wondering why colors don't look the same at extreme viewing angles. Colors don't change on my Panasonic OLED at extreme viewing angles.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Thanks not even at full brightness been through enough this year to much time consuming looking for a perfect device.

I had a perfect white one screen second phone replacement had small gaps around the screen, rough edges around the thin plastic bezel and a tiny gap between the bottom and steel band. I could fit the edge of a piece of paper in and signal issues you cannot win I could be going on and on.

I went through 10 iPhone 6 swaps in 2014 for issues wasn't funny experience to be honest that experience I had put me off upgrading for 3 years. lol
(Light bleed,dead pixels,stuck pixels,dust under camera lens.)

Happy with this device at the moment excellent build no dead pixels,no gaps,no scuffs,no piss yellow screen,no battery issues,LTE speeds great on par with my iphone x, no wifi issues,no reboots.

Apple quality control has gone terrible its like a lottery my iPhone x was perfect on the first try.
[doublepost=1539459972][/doublepost]

lol, Your lucky to be honest you got someone to help you out here in the uk Apple staff and people around the shop think your crazy you definitely get some funny looks.
I tend to do my apple purchase online now and or visit the apple store early in the morning without looking like a nutjob saying can you see the screen is yellow and a little scratch on my screen people will like what a picky customer.

Edit: Just realised how this is an older thread. Excuse the Belated response.

Lol. I would have felt incredibly compelled to take No4 regardless, her dropping No3 would have been to awkward for me to handle saying no :D I’m glad you persevered and got a good device though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.