Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Blue to “yellow” shift is normal in all OLED phones.

And that's the reason why Apple calibrates the OLED displays to a warmer color temperatur (True Tone off).

If they calibrated it like the iPhone Xr to true white, viewing the iPhone Xs off-axis would look too extreme I guess.

They should give the customers an option though (True Tone and True White).

By the way: switch True Tone on and off a couple of times and you think your Xs screen looks white. The brain adjusts.

Reactions: DanPH77

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Why would I 'try to find problems' exactly, or am I not allowed to question Apple's decisions?

I was in a store, noticed this behavior all by myself, was trying to figure out if it's normal, concluded that it is for OLED, concluded that this is inferior to my current phone. Just a nitpick against spending that extra cash on a new phone. Whether or not I'd notice this often in real life usage can be discussed, but that sounds a lot like the iPhone 4 antenna problems to me ("You're holding it wrong").

I bet future OLED screens resolve the issue and the reviewers and tech enthousiast would praise the screen for the improvement, even though before they "didn't notice it".

Because you are asking if it’s normal because you subliminally want it to be while still conflictingly wanting there to be a problem. It’s not inferior to your current phone. It was calibrated different and by professional standards superior. Now if you still don’t like the way that looks that is fine. What I am saying is you didn’t give it long enough to see if you actually liked it better. Not a good analogy...the antenna issue is a verified hardware defect...the calibration of a screen is not a defect it’s more accurate. Now should they have a color slider for preference? Yes, but they don’t. Yet the XS MAX regardless of individual preference has the best screen ever made. There have been lab tests done to prove it.

And no it’s been like this since day one. The difference is that android OLEDs have a color temp slider. There is no issue dude. And studies show the warmer calibration is better for the eyes and it emits less strain that causes red eyes from blue light.

Regardless. I think there should be a color temp slider. However, the screen is superior to anything you have used in an iPhone. You are just use to a cooler profile that is worse for your eyes. Turn on TT and night mode to max warmth and then look at a white screen and then turn both off and it will look white as the heavens. It’s just the way we precive what we were use to. Like I said if you would use it for a week without switching back and forth you would see I am right.
[doublepost=1541677495][/doublepost]
And that's the reason why Apple calibrates the OLED displays to a warmer color temperatur (True Tone off).

If they calibrated it like the iPhone Xr to true white, viewing the iPhone Xs off-axis would look too extreme I guess.

They should give the customers an option though (True Tone and True White).

By the way: switch True Tone on and off a couple of times and you think your Xs screen looks white. The brain adjusts.
Yup I have done that before it makes the XS look VERY white. We are just use to cooler whites instead of warmer whites. Yes there should be option to choose but it’s not a big deal

Last edited:
Reactions: daffie

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Because you are asking if it’s normal because you subliminally want it to be while still conflicting wanting there to be a problem. It’s notninferior to your current phone. It was calibrated different and by professional standards superior. Now if you still don’t like the way that looks that is fine. What I am saying is you didn’t give it long enough to see if you actually liked it better. Not a good analogy...the antenna issue is a verified hardware defect...the calibration of a screen is not a defect it’s more accurate. Now should they have a color slider for preference? Yes, but they don’t. Yet the XS MAX regardless of individual preference has the best screen ever made. There have been lab tests done to prove it.

And no it’s been like this since day one. The difference is that android OLEDs have a color temp slider. There is no issue dude. And studies show the warmer calibration is better for the eyes and it emits less strain that causes red eyes from blue light.

Regardless. I think there should be a color temp slider. However, the screen is superior to anything you have used in an iPhone. You are just use to a cooler profile that is worse for your eyes. Turn on TT and night mode to max warmth and then look at a white screen and then turn both off and it will look white as the heavens. It’s just the way we precive what we were use to. Like I said if you would use it for a week without switching back and forth you would see I am right.
[doublepost=1541677495][/doublepost]
Yup I have done that before it makes the XS look VERY white. We are just use to cooler whites instead of warmer whites. Yes there should be option to choose but it’s not a big deal

In other words, different != faulty.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Because you are asking if it’s normal because you subliminally want it to be while still conflictingly wanting there to be a problem. It’s not inferior to your current phone. It was calibrated different and by professional standards superior. Now if you still don’t like the way that looks that is fine. What I am saying is you didn’t give it long enough to see if you actually liked it better. Not a good analogy...the antenna issue is a verified hardware defect...the calibration of a screen is not a defect it’s more accurate. Now should they have a color slider for preference? Yes, but they don’t. Yet the XS MAX regardless of individual preference has the best screen ever made. There have been lab tests done to prove it.

Your comment is about color temperature while mine is about a shift. I was talking about the color shift from yellow to blue when you tilt the phone.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Lol so many people trying to convince us that bad is good and it’s really better for you blah blah. Enjoy your piss phone and cling to that display mate rating!

Reactions: Pamela5 and Roger67

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Your comment is about color temperature while mine is about a shift. I was talking about the color shift from yellow to blue when you tilt the phone.

Same thing applies it does it with every OLED because that is how OLED technology works.
[doublepost=1541684008][/doublepost]
Lol so many people trying to convince us that bad is good and it’s really better for you blah blah. Enjoy your piss phone and cling to that display mate rating!
Not really just saying if you tried something for a week and then start comparing you would look a lot more intelligent. And it actually is better for you so lol. But hey I rather have good eyes that can see correct color reproduction and not get strained than eyes that think something inferior is better. My XS MAX is far from piss colored my friend. It looks better than that cheap XR you have by a long shot. Should have went back to an iPhone 8 if you didn’t like the warmer calibration. But good luck in your future conspiracy theories.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Same thing applies it does it with every OLED because that is how OLED technology works.

Same thing applies? There's a difference between 'not liking the yellow tint' and 'not liking the color shift'. I could get used to the yellow tint like you were saying, I agree on that.

On the shift however, that's inferior to LCD and can definitely be annoying. This is were the iPhone 4 analogy comes in, because I could avoid the shift if I held it differently but the point is I don't want to have to take a hardware limitation like that into account when using my phone.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
It was confirmed by an Apple developer that the XS has a warmer screen calibration.

Not doubting you, and sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum - but where was this comment made? I’ve managed to keep up with this thread (I think) but I don’t remember seeing that statement from a dev.

Reactions: kre62

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Owned a Pixel 3 XL for a week and returned due to terrible black crush. Aside from that the screen was incredible in terms of uniformity, temp, and off axis shift. Checked out a OnePlus 6T yesterday. Both phones have less color shift than the XS. My old Samsung S9 had less color shift than the XS. Not only that, but all three of these phones didn't have this weird problem where the screen is much warmer head on with a drastic shift + narrow viewing angle to either blue or pink, like most of the XS I've seen. So it isn't "normal for OLED."

Either Apple is doing something in its calibration process or is just using cheaper panels from Samsung to rake in as much profit as possible.

Reactions: sunapple and kre62

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Same thing applies? There's a difference between 'not liking the yellow tint' and 'not liking the color shift'. I could get used to the yellow tint like you were saying, I agree on that.

On the shift however, that's inferior to LCD and can definitely be annoying. This is were the iPhone 4 analogy comes in, because I could avoid the shift if I held it differently but the point is I don't want to have to take a hardware limitation like that into account when using my phone.

Well with LCD the screen dims...then again with either phone I don’t use it holding at an angle or looking from the side...I use it normally, head on

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Not doubting you, and sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum - but where was this comment made? I’ve managed to keep up with this thread (I think) but I don’t remember seeing that statement from a dev.
I talked to one personally

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
TrueTone is definitely busted though

New iPad Pro 12.9. It is warmer than my Xs max with True Tone off. But with True Tone on the Xs Max is way warmer

So I know some displays are warmer than they should be but the messed up True Tone isn’t helping

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Owned a Pixel 3 XL for a week and returned due to terrible black crush. Aside from that the screen was incredible in terms of uniformity, temp, and off axis shift. Checked out a OnePlus 6T yesterday. Both phones have less color shift than the XS. My old Samsung S9 had less color shift than the XS. Not only that, but all three of these phones didn't have this weird problem where the screen is much warmer head on with a drastic shift + narrow viewing angle to either blue or pink, like most of the XS I've seen. So it isn't "normal for OLED."

Either Apple is doing something in its calibration process or is just using cheaper panels from Samsung to rake in as much profit as possible.

Funny you mention that. I have looked at 3 pixels, 3 s9s, and 6 galaxys. Guess what? They all had blue shift on angle. Guess what else? They had a color temp slider that lessened the impact of this noticeable shift. When I turned on the option that says reduce blue light guess what? Looked just like the XS. All of them looked exactly the same as the XS at head on and shift unless I changed the color temp. Samsung makes the same displays that go in the XS. There is only one difference and that is factory calibration and color temp slider software based. So yes it’s “normal for OLED”. Keep up the conspiracy theories though

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Funny you mention that. I have looked at 3 pixels, 3 s9s, and 6 galaxys. Guess what? They all had blue shift on angle. Guess what else? They had a color temp slider that lessened the impact of this noticeable shift. When I turned on the option that says reduce blue light guess what? Looked just like the XS. All of them looked exactly the same as the XS at head on and shift unless I changed the color temp. Samsung makes the same displays that go in the XS. There is only one difference and that is factory calibration and color temp slider software based. So yes it’s “normal for OLED”. Keep up the conspiracy theories though

Not denying that the Androids have blue shift at an angle. In my experience, aside from my Pixel 2 XL, they have all been less drastic than the XS and viewing angles have all been wider. And none have had the yellowish tint when viewing head on that some XS have, which goes away at just the slightest tilt of the phone. A color slider wouldn't matter in my examples with the XS, because it would just shift to a cooler tint and look even worse.

Agree to disagree. I'll keep up my wacky conspiracy theory and you keep drinking the kool-aid and accept that what Apple tells you is normal. Neither of us can be proven right or wrong, it's what MR is for after all. Typing with a grin on my face, not insulting you / enjoy these admittedly ridiculous debates.

Last edited:
Reactions: kre62

bruce316

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
..Turn on TT and night mode to max warmth and then look at a white screen and then turn both off and it will look white..

Okay, I tried this and it actually did seem to help a bit. I'm going to take your suggestion and just try to use the xs for a while and see if I can adjust. I know I can adjust to the warmer display but it is the tilt shift that will be the challenge. I'm not trying to cause the shift but it just happens as I use the phone/switch positions etc. I really want to like the xs, the xr is a great phone but something about the size and "feel" of the xs just clicks with me. I still have a few days before I have to make a decision and return one of the phones.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Okay, I tried this and it actually did seem to help a bit. I'm going to take your suggestion and just try to use the xs for a while and see if I can adjust. I know I can adjust to the warmer display but it is the tilt shift that will be the challenge. I'm not trying to cause the shift but it just happens as I use the phone/switch positions etc. I really want to like the xs, the xr is a great phone but something about the size and "feel" of the xs just clicks with me. I still have a few days before I have to make a decision and return one of the phones.

From what I've seen so far, among the XSes, there are sets with different levels of tilt shifts and warm temperatures, so you might still want to try going for a swap.

As far as I'm concerned, yes I do accept that XSes have a warmer temperature/tilt shifts from LCDs and even iPhone X. What I can't accept is that there seems to be a wide degree of variances comparing among XSes to XSes itself.

It's one thing to compare screens among different models/types and another comparing among the exact same models.

I myself had swapped from terribly yellow screens, one with terrible tilt colour shift to one that doesn't shift as bad, but still more warm compared to other XSes I see on the store floor.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Not denying that the Androids have blue shift at an angle. In my experience, aside from my Pixel 2 XL, they have all been less drastic than the XS and viewing angles have all been wider. And none have had the yellowish tint when viewing head on that some XS have, which goes away at just the slightest tilt of the phone. A color slider wouldn't matter in my examples with the XS, because it would just shift to a cooler tint and look even worse.

Agree to disagree. I'll keep up my wacky conspiracy theory and you keep drinking the kool-aid and accept that what Apple tells you is normal. Neither of us can be proven right or wrong, it's what MR is for after all. Typing with a grin on my face, not insulting you / enjoy these admittedly ridiculous debates.

Guess your store stocks all defective XSs. Because when I compare them they are the same. They all have the yellowish tint with blue filter mode on. I think you are just delusional if you think every XS is defective. I have seen overly warm XS models and they are rare (reason you haven’t seen it on reputable news sources yet). My XS is pure white with TT off and slightly warm with TT on. Blue color shift if I hold the phone like a dumbass and use it from the side like a ‘normal person’. And actually I am correct because what is right for a product is determined by the creator. As a user if you dislike something in a very small minority that centers down to one thread post on a singular website it’s prob because something is wrong with you and not the rest of the world. :) <= smile on my face
[doublepost=1541730463][/doublepost]
Yup just use it normal up until your last return day then you will be able to see the difference and make a better decision

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce316

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Guess your store stocks all defective XSs. Because when I compare them they are the same. They all have the yellowish tint with blue filter mode on. I think you are just delusional if you think every XS is defective. I have seen overly warm XS models and they are rare (reason you haven’t seen it on reputable news sources yet). My XS is pure white with TT off and slightly warm with TT on. Blue color shift if I hold the phone like a dumbass and use it from the side like a ‘normal person’. And actually I am correct because what is right for a product is determined by the creator. As a user if you dislike something in a very small minority that centers down to one thread post on a singular website it’s prob because something is wrong with you and not the rest of the world. :) <= smile on my face

I never said every XS is defective. Subjectively the recent Android phones I’ve owned have all been much better in terms of viewing angle, color temp, and color shift. Maybe it’s coincidence. No need to call me delusional, a dumba**, and nothing is wrong with me. So now I’m “holding my phone wrong” when I lay down, show the screen to someone at an angle, or am at the gym and unable to view it exactly head on? Lol. Whatever man.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I never said every XS is defective. Subjectively the recent Android phones I’ve owned have all been much better in terms of viewing angle, color temp, and color shift. Maybe it’s coincidence. No need to call me delusional, a dumba**, and nothing is wrong with me. So now I’m “holding my phone wrong” when I lay down, show the screen to someone at an angle, or am at the gym and unable to view it exactly head on? Lol. Whatever man.
Lol I can hold it at an angle laying down and there is no shift. So yet again I am right.

shineki

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018

Reduce blue light? So night shifted android phones looked like the xs in its default mode - that's your point?
I'm the owner of 2 galaxy s8+ and one s9+, there is no blue shift problem at all, but already two xs max i owned had awful warm displays. One with blue shift, second with pink shift. That's terrible.

My photo comparison of s9+ vs xs max

Attachments

• F7747232-9EAE-4687-B563-C3AE72F0C633.jpeg
    F7747232-9EAE-4687-B563-C3AE72F0C633.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 00156BE2-D41B-4A16-BD5A-3E1B08FAD654.jpeg
    00156BE2-D41B-4A16-BD5A-3E1B08FAD654.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 406
Reactions: draa

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Lol I can hold it at an angle laying down and there is no shift. So yet again I am right.

Same thing applies it does it ((color tilt shift)) with every OLED because that is how OLED technology works.

Apparently not all screens are the same.

What an annoying discussion. Not all screens are the same and not everyone has the same perception of ‘the right tint’ or cares about shifting colors at different viewing angles.

Basically, personal preferences and facts that seem to be right for both sides. Nobody is right, everybody is right, whatever.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Reduce blue light? So night shifted android phones looked like the xs in its default mode - that's your point?
I'm the owner of 2 galaxy s8+ and one s9+, there is no blue shift problem at all, but already two xs max i owned had awful warm displays. One with blue shift, second with pink shift. That's terrible.

My photo comparison of s9+ vs xs max
Mine looks the same as the galaxy with True Tone off. You know what True Tone is right?
[doublepost=1541860296][/doublepost]
Apparently not all screens are the same.

What an annoying discussion. Not all screens are the same and not everyone has the same perception of ‘the right tint’ or cares about shifting colors at different viewing angles.

Basically, personal preferences and facts that seem to be right for both sides. Nobody is right, everybody is right, whatever.
Like I said if this was a big enough problem it be more than just one thread post on the internet. The fact is that only a tiny insignificant minority is having this “issue”

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Like I said if this was a big enough problem it be more than just one thread post on the internet. The fact is that only a tiny insignificant minority is having this “issue”

I noticed a shift in color when tilting the phone on 6 OLED iPhones in a store. I thought this looked bad. I already knew some people would try to downplay it. I can't just have my own opinion can I?

My original question was if the color shift on different viewing angles was normal. You confirmed that, so that's that then.

The warm color temperature is another issue, I do believe some people got a lemon. Others may just be used to bluer screens and should use the phone longer before judging. Not sure how you can tell the difference in this thread, but I wouldn't just bash everyone who says their phone looks bad.

Reactions: Roger67

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Mine looks the same as the galaxy with True Tone off. You know what True Tone is right?
[doublepost=1541860296][/doublepost]

Would you like to clarify what you meant by "Mine looks the same as the galaxy with True Tone off."?
You previously mentioned that XSes are deliberately calibrated to be more warm, even with an App developer's confirmation to boot. And if so, how could it look the same as a Galaxy, if XSes are intentionally calibrated to be warmer as compared to other phone's OLEDs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.