Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
Uniform colour, top to bottom. Actually, after using it for a few hours now with TT off, it’s completely white. I got really lucky with this XS. I never had the yellow screen in either units, just the previous one had a pinkish tone at the bottom of the screen.

My serial is C3 and fifth letter is D. I dunno what relevance that has.

Yes, perfectly uniform. Genius at the Apple store even used the same app you recommended to check for uniformity.

Now to slap on a nice leather case and not worry about silly screen issues.

Is it a VERY SLIGHTLY warmer shade of white when looking at it directly head on or a bit on the cooler side?
[doublepost=1541547552][/doublepost]Also, I know this is kinda slightly off topic but is anyone here experiencing stutters in some animations on the Xs/Xs Max?
There is an 8 pages thread on this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-momentary-stuttering-after-inactivity.2141542/page-8

I have experienced it as well. Open an app, keep it static for 10 seconds or so without absolutely anything moving on the display and try going back home, the animation has a stutter. Occurs for me even when swiping from the left edge of the screen to go back in an app sometimes.

What do you guys think? Is this totally software related? This is actually my 9th iPhone Xs Max and I'm very frustrated now. I can't get the phone exchanged/returned anymore as I am abroad (traveled last week) where there are no Apple Stores or authorized resellers.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Is it a VERY SLIGHTLY warmer shade of white when looking at it directly head on or a bit on the cooler side?
[doublepost=1541547552][/doublepost]Also, I know this is kinda slightly off topic but is anyone here experiencing stutters in some animations on the Xs/Xs Max?
There is an 8 pages thread on this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-momentary-stuttering-after-inactivity.2141542/page-8

I have experienced it as well. Open an app, keep it static for 10 seconds or so without absolutely anything moving on the display and try going back home, the animation has a stutter. Occurs for me even when swiping from the left edge of the screen to go back in an app sometimes.

What do you guys think? Is this totally software related? This is actually my 9th iPhone Xs Max and I'm very frustrated now. I can't get the phone exchanged/returned anymore as I am abroad (traveled last week) where there are no Apple Stores or authorized resellers.

9th!!!! :eek:

shineki

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Yes

yes, same here.

I already exchanged 2 xsm with yellow tinted screens.

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Uniform colour, top to bottom. Actually, after using it for a few hours now with TT off, it’s completely white. I got really lucky with this XS.

You brain adjusts.

Take your iPhone Xs to an Apple store and compare it with an iPhone Xr.
You'll still see that the iPhone Xr is whiter.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
You brain adjusts.

Take your iPhone Xs to an Apple store and compare it with an iPhone Xr.
You'll still see that the iPhone Xr is whiter.
Agree your eyes and brain adjusts, but when it does it makes the iphone LCD look poor IF you get a decent uniform OLED XS or Max. And I've always loved iphone LCD and crisps cool whites.

Reactions: DanPH77

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Agree your eyes and brain adjusts, but when it does it makes the iphone LCD look poor IF you get a decent uniform OLED XS or Max. And I've always loved iphone LCD and crisps cool whites.

Every LCD and OLED device I own has a different screen temperature etc. And every time, one of them looks odd when you transition from another. It's just how life is....

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Every LCD and OLED device I own has a different screen temperature etc. And every time, one of them looks odd when you transition from another. It's just how life is....
Yea OK, I'll give you that. Humans are super adaptable.

ACTIONGAMER

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
I bought Xs max 256 from apple uk online store
i got the the phone it was slightly yellow tint i sent back for replacement
the second one i got it the one i have it now for yellow tint its ok not bad but ! from the bottom of the phone slightly more brighter than the top !! why is that guys do i have to send it back again ?

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
I bought Xs max 256 from apple uk online store
i got the the phone it was slightly yellow tint i sent back for replacement
the second one i got it the one i have it now for yellow tint its ok not bad but ! from the bottom of the phone slightly more brighter than the top !! why is that guys do i have to send it back again ?

All I need is a uniform screen. The 'tints' are subjective IMHO since they are only visible when comparing to other device. Non uniform screens are bad because it is always visible (outside pictures and videos) and can not be adjusted away.

ACTIONGAMER

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
All I need is a uniform screen. The 'tints' are subjective IMHO since they are only visible when comparing to other device. Non uniform screens are bad because it is always visible (outside pictures and videos) and can not be adjusted away.
Sorry i don't get it

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Surprising so many people like comments on the first page saying that this is not a real problem.

I was in a store today and looked at six iPhones, X, XS and XS Max, two of each.

At first I was using the Max, not knowing about the tint. I put it side by side with XR and was shocked how bad the Max looked. Yellow and at like 2/3rds of the brightness. True Tone didn’t make a difference.

Then I noticed the color shift when slightly tilting the phone. Yellow to blue instantly. Every X phone had it.

Truly terrible quality, I’m shocked. This can’t be normal right?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Surprising so many people like comments on the first page saying that this is not a real problem.

I was in a store today and looked at six iPhones, X, XS and XS Max, two of each.

At first I was using the Max, not knowing about the tint. I put it side by side with XR and was shocked how bad the Max looked. Yellow and at like 2/3rds of the brightness. True Tone didn’t make a difference.

Then I noticed the color shift when slightly tilting the phone. Yellow to blue instantly. Every X phone had it.

Truly terrible quality, I’m shocked. This can’t be normal right?

Yes it can, and it is.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I vaguely remembered Apple commenting on those issues and found that article from a year ago. Guess you’re right.

I’m late to the party, never really used an X until today. Another reason besides price for me not to upgrade right now.

The thing is, there are genuine display faults and I’ve been victim of them over the many years of Apple device ownership.

BUT, just because a display is different to another, doesn’t mean it’s faulty.

Just don’t compare screens. Every OLED and LCD screen I own is different. That’s life.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
So this thread is 66 pages long now. Maybe someone has a short cut for me? Is there a consensus whether this is an issue or not? That is to say, is it something that some phones have and others don't, thus suggesting an exchange, or is it something that, at least to some extend, necessarily comes with the OLED, so it simply bothers some people more than others?

Some background: I am using a XS and a XR side-by-side currently. Both have True Tone enabled, but not night shift. The whites on the XR are white (but not cold or blue), the whites on the XS are somewhat beige. So what I want to know is: Should I exchange the XS in the hopes of getting a non-yellow device? Or should anyone not wanting a yellowish device stick with LCD?

I think all XS units are warmer calibration and whites look beige...by tests it actually has the best color reproduction of any phone on the market. So while I prefer cooler whites and think it should have a slider so the user can decide. The XS has the best screen. There was some units...not many...that were overly yellow. But most people not use to the warmer calibration thought it was a defect. It was an unannounced change
[doublepost=1541645164][/doublepost]
I have both the XS and XR. With them side by side on my desk with true tone turned off and brightness adjusted similarly the XS screen is slightly warmer/more yellowish. Due to this colors are more vibrant and text has better contrast on the XR. This is especially noticeable on any screen with a white or lighter background. With all I have read about the oled screens being superior I really expected to like my XS more but the XR display looks a bit nicer. I was going to exchange the XS to try to get a better screen but from what I have read here it does not seem like that would help.
It’s because you are use to it that the cooler calibration looks nicer. Your brain is telling you something is wrong because it’s diff. But according to tests the color reproduction is better and more accurate and the screen is better for the eyes

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think all XS units are warmer calibration and whites look beige...by tests it actually has the best color reproduction of any phone on the market. So while I prefer cooler whites and think it should have a slider so the user can decide. The XS has the best screen. There was some units...not many...that were overly yellow. But most people not use to the warmer calibration thought it was a defect. It was an unannounced change
[doublepost=1541645164][/doublepost]
It’s because you are use to it that the cooler calibration looks nicer. Your brain is telling you something is wrong because it’s diff. But according to tests the color reproduction is better and more accurate and the screen is better for the eyes

your whole post has been debunked many times

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I gave up on the iPhone XS/Max due to the warmer calibration. Which is a bummer because my iPhone X from last year had a nice "cool" calibration and it was perfect. I can't deal with the yellowness, even if it may be "more natural." My iPad Pro is also a more cool calibration, which made then looking at my iPhone XS Max that much worse when I saw how yellow the whites were. I went with the XR and whites are perfectly white. No yellow tint whatsoever.

I think the problem with the color filters is it's just that. It's simply a color overlay, not a true white point alteration. It may affect the appearance of other colors. Now for some, this may be a fine resolution. But because it's not truly affecting the white point, for others this is not a desired setting.

Apple truly needs to allow us to tweak RGB as some Android vendors do. That would solve SO many of these complaints as everyone prefers varying levels of white point calibration. :-/

I saw a color temperature slider on the galaxy note that’s what we need.
[doublepost=1541646273][/doublepost]
My Xs has a slightly warmer screen than my iPad Pro, but I find it acceptable. What I have a problem with is True Tone. When it’s enabled on my Xs it goes crazy yellow, a totally different colour to my iPad Pro. When it’s off my Xs screen is okay.

True Tone is so aggressive on my Xs it almost seems like a bug.

I like True Tone (when it works). Anybody have any idea if it can be fixed?
I also can’t take the True Tone...makes it to warm
[doublepost=1541646711][/doublepost]
Hello, I have the same issue, but it looks warmer on the top and cooler on the bottom, have you talked with apple aniut that? Any service center?
Look at it head on :)
[doublepost=1541647166][/doublepost]
did anyone notice a decrease in colors temperature (TT off) after 12.1 upgrade. screen looks dead...
Turn on increased contrast
[doublepost=1541647225][/doublepost]
If True Tone looks terrible and super exaggerated on your phone, its a pretty good indicator you have one of the bad screens. Swap it out, or get an XR, which is getting rave reviews for it's screen. I've seen one in person and found it vastly superior to the OLEDs in uniformity, color temperature, and ease to look at.

XR ugly bezel and less features

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018

I think you are being subliminally convinced that there is something wrong when it’s nothing at all. You want something to be wrong therefore your brain is convinced there is.
[doublepost=1541654917][/doublepost]
I vaguely remembered Apple commenting on those issues and found that article from a year ago. Guess you’re right.

I’m late to the party, never really used an X until today. Another reason besides price for me not to upgrade right now.

It was confirmed by an Apple developer that the XS has a warmer screen calibration. Also from professional tests it has the best screen of all iPhones and best color reproduction. So just because you are use to a cooler screen doesn’t mean the XS screen is bad. I think there should be a color temp slider option still but after awhile of using it if you go back to the LCD screen you can see the OLED is superior.
[doublepost=1541655194][/doublepost]
your whole post has been debunked many times
Prove it. Post your literary approved sites that debunk what I am saying because they don’t exist. Apple dev confirms warmer calibration. Multiple XS phones compared against each other by many people and all conclude it’s warmer than the previous iPhones and there is no or slight variation in color temp between all phones. Conclusion from everyone is XS is warmer screen

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The thing is, there are genuine display faults and I’ve been victim of them over the many years of Apple device ownership.

BUT, just because a display is different to another, doesn’t mean it’s faulty.

Just don’t compare screens. Every OLED and LCD screen I own is different. That’s life.

I'm used to my 7 Plus and the XR looked similar in color, brightness and lack of color shifting. I guess I could get used to a dimmer more yellow Max screen, but the shifting was brutal.

If everyone would tell me it was normal, should I accept it or stay with
I think you are being subliminally convinced that there is something wrong when it’s nothing at all. You want something to be wrong therefore your brain is convinced there is.
[doublepost=1541654917][/doublepost]

It was confirmed by an Apple developer that the XS has a warmer screen calibration. Also from professional tests it has the best screen of all iPhones and best color reproduction. So just because you are use to a cooler screen doesn’t mean the XS screen is bad. I think there should be a color temp slider option still but after awhile of using it if you go back to the LCD screen you can see the OLED is superior.

I’d probably get used to the warmer tint, sure.

The color shift when tilting however was terrible.

The brightness also didn’t match my 7 Plus.

The combination of the three really put me off. I just knew when I noticed this that people would tell me it’s normal behavior, but does that make a difference? OLED has other perks over LCD, but side to side I can’t tell ‘better color reproduction’ or even contrast. Those differences are about as small as the warmer tint, you’ll get used to it and forget about it rather quickly.

So in the end, my opinion is that OLED still has significant problems, enough for me to not be willing to pay extra. I’m not willing to just accept the shortcomings because professionals say it’s normal.

Not trying to bash other people’s beliefs on this, just giving my own thoughts.

Reactions: kre62

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I'm used to my 7 Plus and the XR looked similar in color, brightness and lack of color shifting. I guess I could get used to a dimmer more yellow Max screen, but the shifting was brutal.

If everyone would tell me it was normal, should I accept it or stay with

I’d probably get used to the warmer tint, sure.

The color shift when tilting however was terrible.

The brightness also didn’t match my 7 Plus.

The combination of the three really put me off. I just knew when I noticed this that people would tell me it’s normal behavior, but does that make a difference? OLED has other perks over LCD, but side to side I can’t tell ‘better color reproduction’ or even contrast. Those differences are about as small as the warmer tint, you’ll get used to it and forget about it rather quickly.

So in the end, my opinion is that OLED still has significant problems, enough for me to not be willing to pay extra. I’m not willing to just accept the shortcomings because professionals say it’s normal.

Blue to “yellow” shift is normal in all OLED phones.

Brightness should be comparable. At first I thought mine was less bright than my iPhone 6s+ but then realized my XS MAX was a little brighter after using it. Don’t go back and forth, use the XS only for a week and then compare
[doublepost=1541656202][/doublepost]
OLED has other perks over LCD, but side to side I can’t tell ‘better color reproduction’ or even contrast. Those differences are about as small as the warmer tint, you’ll get used to it and forget about it rather quickly.

Like I said use only the XS for a week or two then go back to the old iPhone or XR and you will see the colors are superior. At first I also couldn’t tell a difference but after only using the XS I could see it when going back.

OLED doesn’t have any problems and there are no shortcomings. These are just figments of your imagination. Professionally these are the best calibrated screens ever. Just because we got use to something inferior doesn’t make it superior simply because we are not use to change. And yet again I reiterate that the colors and screen looked superior to the LCD after not using an LCD for 2 weeks. Before that I was going back and forth and thought my LCD looked better.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands

Brightness should be comparable. At first I thought mine was less bright than my iPhone 6s+ but then realized my XS MAX was a little brighter after using it. Don’t go back and forth, use the XS only for a week and then compare

Like I said use only the XS for a week or two then go back to the old iPhone or XR and you will see the colors are superior. At first I also couldn’t tell a difference but after only using the XS I could see it when going back.

OLED doesn’t have any problems and there are no shortcomings. These are just figments of your imagination. Professionally these are the best calibrated screens ever. Just because we got use to something inferior doesn’t make it superior simply because we are not use to change. And yet again I reiterate that the colors and screen looked superior to the LCD after not using an LCD for 2 weeks. Before that I was going back and forth and thought my LCD looked better.

I’m sure you can get used to the colors and maybe I’m used to something inferior. Sounds right in theory to me.

The shift I’m talking about is a yellow to blue, happens when you tilt the phone. It was so aggressive that I though it was a defect, but all six phones behaved that way. So if I put my phone flat on a table and look at it from an angle, it’s going to look more blue. I can’t justify that by this being ‘normal behavior’ (if it is).

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018

OK now, back to the mystery question, then why are there screens with varying colour temperatures/shifting among XSes themselves? This is more of a concern, rather than comparing to other screen types/models.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I’m sure you can get used to the colors and maybe I’m used to something inferior. Sounds right in theory to me.

The shift I’m talking about is a yellow to blue, happens when you tilt the phone. It was so aggressive that I though it was a defect, but all six phones behaved that way. So if I put my phone flat on a table and look at it from an angle, it’s going to look more blue. I can’t justify that by this being ‘normal behavior’ (if it is).
Yes blue when holding phone at angle to side and “yellow” head on. It’s normal. But why are you looking at the phone from an angle? See you are trying to find “problems” so you are justifying looking at your phone from an angle as ‘normal behavior’? If you would only use the XS for a week you will see I am right. Otherwise you will be in perpetual conflict with an issue that only exists in your mind.
[doublepost=1541658235][/doublepost]
OK now, back to the mystery question, then why are there screens with varying colour temperatures/shifting among XSes themselves? This is more of a concern, rather than comparing to other screen types/models.

I acknowledged there was abnormally yellow tint or screens with bad uniformity. However it’s not widespread enough to get picked up by a respected news source. Bottom line is XS is a warmer calibration and has a yellow to blue shift as all OLEDs do. Problem is slit if ppl mistake a screen that is five and just has the warmer calibration as bad because they are use to the cooler calibration. After you ONLY use the XS for a week or two. You will find out when you go back that the cooler iPhone LCD is more blue and unnatural looking and the XS has better colors.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Yes blue when holding phone at angle to side and “yellow” head on. It’s normal. But why are you looking at the phone from an angle? See you are trying to find “problems” so you are justifying looking at your phone from an angle as ‘normal behavior’? If you would only use the XS for a week you will see I am right. Otherwise you will be in perpetual conflict with an issue that only exists in your mind.

Why would I 'try to find problems' exactly, or am I not allowed to question Apple's decisions?

I was in a store, noticed this behavior all by myself, was trying to figure out if it's normal, concluded that it is for OLED, concluded that this is inferior to my current phone. Just a nitpick against spending that extra cash on a new phone. Whether or not I'd notice this often in real life usage can be discussed, but that sounds a lot like the iPhone 4 antenna problems to me ("You're holding it wrong").

I bet future OLED screens resolve the issue and the reviewers and tech enthousiast would praise the screen for the improvement, even though before they "didn't notice it".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.